PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do nothing\Wipe it\New Server

Kesulos
07-25-2013, 03:49 PM
I see arguments for these three, good points and bad points to all of them. I'm curious to see to see a poll.

Reguiy
07-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Keep this server, and start a new one.

kotton05
07-25-2013, 04:05 PM
No wipe come on now... Fix ddos give some xp bonus and get velious out :)

NegaStoat
07-25-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm down for a new server. On weekends at prime time this server has seen 980 people online, well, as of this last weekend. So 1k people when most of the people are off from work.

Flip the switch on a new server and I would cautiously estimate 120-200 new people would arrive within 30 days. Now split the population and consider the available room for end game content on a Kunark era server.

I highly doubt we'd see a ghost town situation on either realm.

Edit - I'd like to add that while this would be great to see, it still doesn't address the RMT / DDoS duping situation at all.

TheLieka
07-25-2013, 04:08 PM
This will both productive and useful. It is not a waste of time at all.

B

fastboy21
07-25-2013, 04:08 PM
I voted for a new server...but it has nothing to do with current server being DDoS'd or the RMT/duping situation.

I just always like the fun/challenge of starting off new every few years. I don't know what kind of future a static server really has in the long run...at some point, I think it makes sense to start fresh/follow the classic timeline/etc. I don't know where that point is...maybe 2-3 years after Velious release? How much more than that could it go on before the server became a ghost town? Nobody really knows, because p1999 is the first server to really push this concept.

hyper50
07-25-2013, 04:17 PM
I'd like a solution to the dupe be found, and then create a new server with a fresh timeline just so I can enjoy EQ from the start again lol. If not, just a solution for the dupe would be awesome. There is no stopping RMTers, but if it can atleast be made harder to get massive amounts of pp, that'd be good enough for me = )

Thulack
07-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Open new server with correct timeline. by time it catches up velious should be ready to go.

Ele
07-25-2013, 04:19 PM
New server with automatic timeline patching with dupes and bugs fixed.

pras

aowen
07-25-2013, 04:34 PM
So who is going to pay for and run this new server? Or is it going to appear out of thin air and be self-sustaining? That is almost as stupid as wiping this one. The only thing that needs to happen after the lag is addressed is some anti-trust law ball breaking of some of the guilds and their relentlessness on the coveted raid mobs. Anne Frankly I don't give a sh*t if people RMT, people who buy toons and plat with money don't bother me, they're just idiots.

fastboy21
07-25-2013, 04:37 PM
So who is going to pay for and run this new server? Or is it going to appear out of thin air and be self-sustaining? That is almost as stupid as wiping this one. The only thing that needs to happen after the lag is addressed is some anti-trust law ball breaking of some of the guilds and their relentlessness on the coveted raid mobs. Anne Frankly I don't give a sh*t if people RMT, people who buy toons and plat with money don't bother me, they're just idiots.

To be honest, the money would probably be forthcoming from donations...the real issue would be finding qualified people willing to run it as Nilbog/Rogean have said they have no desire to start another server.

In any case, this poll wasn't about what we should do from a practical point of view...its only asking what you would personally want.

Clark
07-25-2013, 04:38 PM
No wipe come on now... Fix ddos give some xp bonus and get velious out :)

why not wipe u abandoned your brothers, doesn't really matter :l

Peener
07-25-2013, 04:39 PM
What about those of us who don't want any changes INCLUDING the duping problems and DDOS attacks?

This poll is stupid.

Splorf22
07-25-2013, 04:39 PM

pras

As soon as Nilbog gets Velious out I'm with you 100%

Waedawen
07-25-2013, 04:40 PM
There is no reason for another blue server.

No. I have never seen the community act so stupid before this round of DDoS's. Server has been here before, it will get through it.

Another server once Velious has been entirely patched & finalized? That has all ways been on the radar. That idea is nothing new. And it's a good one.

AND, that's not to say that it's even your decision to open another server in the first place. The reality is that Rogean & Nilbog are allowing us to play in their yard and they can do with that yard whatever they damn well please.

Vaildez
07-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Option 3 - Wipe Red and re purpose it to the new server since nobody plays it

Clark
07-25-2013, 04:42 PM
ya except people weren't duping during 2011 ddos Waedawen

Tasslehofp99
07-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Open new server, Ban TMO members from rolling there by IP....flourish.

Splitquick
07-25-2013, 04:45 PM

Sadly... probably the best idea that would affect the least amount of people.. lol

(Sorry redders! It's just a hypothetical!)

aowen
07-25-2013, 04:46 PM
To be honest, the money would probably be forthcoming from donations...the real issue would be finding qualified people willing to run it as Nilbog/Rogean have said they have no desire to start another server.

In any case, this poll wasn't about what we should do from a practical point of view...its only asking what you would personally want.

So you'd rather just find out if people would like another server? Do you really need a poll for that? No shit they would. Asking that question while neglecting to figure out if that is even possible is like getting a boner with no girl or hands to take care of it.

Waedawen
07-25-2013, 04:47 PM
people have been duping since the dawn of the new era.

i've seen backpacks full of manastones. and it's not even safe to say that most of those players are still banned, probably just some. How many times have you seen a notorious duping toon walking around EC tunnel? I know I've seen a couple recently.

Splitquick
07-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Asking that question while neglecting to figure out if that is even possible is like getting a boner with no girl or hands to take care of it.

Mental power, my son.

myriverse
07-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Where's the vote to shut up and move this to RnF?

Kidding. No wipe... unless there's a way to just wipe all characters older than 1 year.

Still kidding.

fastboy21
07-25-2013, 04:52 PM
So you'd rather just find out if people would like another server? Do you really need a poll for that? No shit they would. Asking that question while neglecting to figure out if that is even possible is like getting a boner with no girl or hands to take care of it.

It wasn't my poll. Maybe it was just someone's idea of a fun way to pass some time with the server down? Maybe you need to chill out?

Reppy
07-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Just fix the problem at hand, Starting over for about 90% of the population that are legit maybe not. But for the legit player base we lose everything because some f*** tards are being kids, I am all for fixing the problem that we have right now. As for the people that need/ have to cheat in a free private server that is there issue alone not for the legit players, although it is unfair, because of a few . It is a game and something that should be enjoyed. I do agree that something needs to be done as far as hording all the end game loots for one guild, however if no one challenges the guild, then why not, No top end guild just popped up to the top. As far as most of the problems such as leap frogging etc, How do you even consider some rules of engagement for a guild clearing a path to get to a raid mob.

aowen
07-25-2013, 05:09 PM
It wasn't my poll. Maybe it was just someone's idea of a fun way to pass some time with the server down? Maybe you need to chill out?

Maybe when I write a post asking legitimate questions about a topic being polled on, such as how a new server is going to be practically implemented, you offer constructive criticism instead of saying it's irrelevant and not the intent of the post. It is something many people would enjoy, so I would think working it out rather than nay-saying would be the the more golden of paths.

fastboy21
07-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Maybe when I write a post asking legitimate questions about a topic being polled on, such as how a new server is going to be practically implemented, you offer constructive criticism instead of saying it's irrelevant and not the intent of the post. It is something many people would enjoy, so I would think working it out rather than nay-saying would be the the more golden of paths.

I don't know what you think I said to upset you. Someone posted a poll, I posted my thoughts. You posted yours. Let's move on.

Calabee
07-25-2013, 05:18 PM
bet you 90 % of the peeps who wants a wipe are below lvl 30 noobs with no gear and plat.

as for someone who's been playing here for 3 years, has multiple high lvls / gear / coin. i'd be pissed if a wipe was to happen

Peener
07-25-2013, 05:20 PM
I'd like to propose a fourth option: make a new server with an instance of World of Warcraft installed on it so all of you whiny bitches voting for #2 and #3 can enjoy a game that's more accommodating to your play-style.

Meiva
07-25-2013, 05:27 PM

pras

Ele, I love you!

This is what the majority of us may want, and Ele is suggesting it is out of reach currently. Personally I'd love to see a new sever launch, I'd play both Blue and the new server. The duping and bugs may not be fixed, and may never be fixed...

Meiva
07-25-2013, 05:30 PM
bet you 90 % of the peeps who wants a wipe are below lvl 30 noobs with no gear and plat.

as for someone who's been playing here for 3 years, has multiple high lvls / gear / coin. i'd be pissed if a wipe was to happen

We don't want a wipe, and that will never happen.

DylanWFT
07-25-2013, 05:33 PM
A new server sounds like a good idea, but I'd like a good number of people on it. Don't want a dead server.

Missingo
07-25-2013, 07:27 PM
I think a new server would be ideal and let the players play where they want to play

Peekae
07-25-2013, 08:12 PM
A wipe will never happen "over my dead body" to quote rogean from earlier.

A new server is a cool idea but not really an option until velious has Been out for awhile IMO .

For now best solution is to work towards fixing the ddos issue and removing all duped items it will just take some hard work and man hours from the staff.

Splorf22
07-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Rogean has the right idea. A wipe destroys the integrity of the server: the players have to know that the staff is basically going to take care of their pixels. It will never happen, and I agree with Culprit that most of the 'wipe it clean' squad are jealous <L30 noobs.

A new server is a very good idea and I'm sure Nilbog is working towards one. But even with the last patch we are a long way from a true classic experience. Skim the bug threads if you don't believe me: mage pets don't cast right, player resists are at the PoP cap of 500 and don't work correctly in general, raid mobs are immune to memblur (thanks TMO/VD), Flash of light causes mobs to flee uncontrollably, and more. Velious will surely bring with it a huge number of issues to be worked out, and on top of all that we're still waiting for the simultaneous repop code. So I voted bug fix.

I would expect to see Project 1999: The Next Generation somewhere between 1 and 2 years from now.

Clark
07-25-2013, 08:38 PM
wipe it

ahenfv
07-25-2013, 08:52 PM
As one of the <L30 noobs with no gear and no plat, even suggesting a wipe is such a stupid idea and I don't get why anyone is still suggesting it as anything more than a troll.

Dragonmist
07-25-2013, 08:58 PM
Yea a wipe will not fix the issue for long,best thing is to just not buy any of the major items being sold/duped and if all the super dupers have no one to buy their goods they will go out of business.

A 3rd server is a nice idea though several people enjoy fresh starts every X amount of years.

Clark
07-25-2013, 09:00 PM
For now best solution is to work towards fixing the ddos issue and removing all duped items it will just take some hard work and man hours from the staff.

mwatt
07-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Certainly a wipe is right out.

As for a new server, that MIGHT be cool, but what about the following issues?

* More money to obtain and run the server.
* More time spent managing servers by people doing this for free.
* More headaches with deployment.
* More risk of triggering SOE's ire.
* Were there to be a lessened player base on both servers, it may not be enough to support proper play, when one considers the possible ups and downs of server life.
* It would distract from Velious.

For me, I voted do nothing except fix problems. After 2 years of Velious, if the powers that be are still interested in doing this, maybe another server would be a good idea. On that hypothetical server, I would (if it were my say, which it is NOT) put in some non-classic bastardization of Luclin. On the original server, I would freeze it at Velious.

But I/we can vote on polls all day. None of this is up to us. It is up to the team the puts this show on. Perhaps you'd think that they might like to hear opinions, but this has been discussed ad nauseum. They've already stated there will NEVER be a wipe, and rightly so. Let the subject drop, we're sounding pushy and whiney both.

Fael
07-25-2013, 09:06 PM
I PREFER to keep the characters i spent leveling for the last year

Sadres
07-25-2013, 09:08 PM

Sarius
07-25-2013, 09:11 PM
I don't even know why people respond to the "wipe it" crowd. Maybe if we ignore them they will go away. Wipe will NEVER happen!

Dermis
07-25-2013, 09:11 PM
The wipe is known to be something that won't happen. I wish people could just let it go already. Hell, I think there's a better chance of a complete shutdown than a wipe. No, this doesn't mean I think there's a chance of a shutdown.

I'm rooting for a new server, but I don't want it until a year or two after Velious. Iron out that expansion first. Follow the timeline.

The ONLY thing I'll say about a wipe (that will never happen, remember) is this: Of course upper level players think it's newbs that want it. That's the expected reaction. I assure you, it isn't only them. Everyone I know who wasn't here at the very beginning wish they were. It's more about that than anything else. It's a different experience than playing later on in the server's life, regardless of any gear, plat, or levels you have. That's why a lot of people tried the Sleeper. Not because they didn't love p99, but because they wanted that chance. Now, fortunately for the population here.. the Sleeper was a pile of crap, and (nearly) everyone came back. No matter where I am game-wise I would gladly start over just to be on a server from the start. Not for guises or fireport binding or any other reason than to experience that stage of a server's existence.

thufir
07-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Opening a third server might be OK if it came with server transfers. A lot of the high end players who felt disenchanted by TMO's/RMTer's current theoretical stranglehold on end game material might switch to have less competition, and the steady drumbeat of "this endgame ain't classic" would then simmer down to a low murmur until Velious.

Don't think it would be actually good for either server though. I remember Xegony having 2000 people every day during the Classic timeline, and p1999 currently has less than half that during peak hours. I feel like p1999 has a good pop atm, and halving that again doesn't seem like it would be good for the health of either the parent or child server.

Mildly surprised Sirken hasn't shut this down yet like he did the other two threads that proposed wipes.

astuce999
07-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Wipe red, and copy/paste the current blue server on it, without any toons.

It's the least upkeep, and it would be fun to play on a new server with kunark and epics already without any manastones or fungi staves or other OP'ed items save for future GM events, and it would be fun to have all the kunark zones available with a fresh population.

just a thought,

Astuce

runlvlzero
07-26-2013, 08:14 AM
Wipe red, and copy/paste the current blue server on it, without any toons.

It's the least upkeep, and it would be fun to play on a new server with kunark and epics already without any manastones or fungi staves or other OP'ed items save for future GM events, and it would be fun to have all the kunark zones available with a fresh population.

just a thought,

Astuce

This attitude is why red players have a term. That term is bluebie. It is an attitude of ignorance. Ask for yourself, but your greed makes you want to destroy another community because you think you cannot get one without destroying it. Its the same kind of ignorance that leads to "colonization" or eugenics or the wiping out of cultures. And industrialization.

Try rephrasing that statement. Most of us red players would love a fresh start too. But you don't see us asking to eliminate blue (well one or two do) but in general we are pretty chill about you all playing on your blue server and not raging about it. We do get jealous from time to time that your server gets fixed first and little attention is given to pvp related bugs. But hey. We still don't say "shut down blue".

So yeah. I'm offended. Don't matter, I wont be playing with you anytime soon unless you some how see the light and join red to get 60 and finally wash yourself of your ignorance.

Barkingturtle
07-26-2013, 08:42 AM
We should round up red players and gas them, imo.

myriverse
07-26-2013, 08:50 AM
I don't even know why people respond to the "wipe it" crowd. Maybe if we ignore them they will go away. Wipe will NEVER happen!
I think I will be adopting this philosophy.
This attitude is why red players have a term. That term is bluebie. It is an attitude of ignorance. Ask for yourself, but your greed makes you want to destroy another community because you think you cannot get one without destroying it. Its the same kind of ignorance that leads to "colonization" or eugenics or the wiping out of cultures. And industrialization.
You have that backwards.

runlvlzero
07-26-2013, 08:51 AM
We should round up red players and gas them, imo.

Sad thing is they'd like it too much...