PDA

View Full Version : New to P99, suggestions for class?

Kohedron
07-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Since the server is down for now, figured I'd somewhat introduce myself.

Played on Live way back in the day, I sucked real bad at it but I was fascinated with the EQ world. Anyway, when SoL came out I was disgusted by how deserted most of my favorite zones became, then by PoP they were a ghost town. Fast forward a few years, and I discovered Winter's Roar (Shards of Dalaya's original form). I played on there for a while, then the server got shut down. Fast forward a few more years, and I saw it was back up as SoD. Played on there for a couple years off and on. While it was great on there, the player population really isn't what it was, so here I am.

So anyway, any suggestions as to an "in-demand" couple of classes to play? I want to try ones that I've never done before, so that rules out cleric and mage. I want to try out wizzy and rogue, although this will mean I will be constantly hunting for groups.

Missingo
07-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Wizzy's can solo pretty good a littler later on with quad kiting.. Enchanter's are always welcome in groups and they can charm solo pretty good.

lawll
07-26-2013, 03:11 PM
With a server pop of 300-800 or so i'd think any class is in demand so play whatever you think is fun.

lecompte
07-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Rogue's are easier to get a group with but if you can't find a group (post level 20), you're kinda dead in the water.

Oh ya, Welcome to the server :)

Lojik
07-26-2013, 03:12 PM
http://wiki.project1999.org/Loraen%27s_Class_Selection_Guide

fastboy21
07-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Play what you think you'll enjoy.

Its classic EQ, so playing gear dependent classes as your first choice will be very hard (i.e. unless you rlly want a challenge don't pick a warrior for your first toon).

The server is very much about grouping, so playing group oriented classes is an option (i.e. its not like live where you are basically soloing until high level).

SwordNboard
07-26-2013, 03:20 PM
There is a server race/class metric topic somewhere in the recent threads if you want to totally base your char off of that.

-Catherin-
07-26-2013, 03:36 PM
play what you want to play. you will... want to play it more :)

Shinko
07-26-2013, 03:43 PM
just don't make a pally or ranger

JackFlash
07-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Play something you have a little experience with and will enjoy. Avoid gear heavy classes as others have said until you make friends or start earning some plat.

Floraline
07-26-2013, 03:45 PM
The community is really great here. I finally found what I've been missing and looking for in other MMO's. The devs do a wonderful job at keeping things classic. Welcome!

Kohedron
07-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the response you guys.

I'm definitely curious about trying out the rogue, but maybe the wiz can be something else. Enchanter or necro maybe... Enchanters seem pretty confusing but maybe I'll end up liking it. I just have visions of myself wiping my whole group or raid because I didn't mez correctly. But I guess that's the thrill.

Peekae
07-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Wizards and rogues are both heavily needed / wanted late game raiding wise so I don't believe you will have any problems there.

It comes down to how you want to level / how you want to play the game caster vs melee.

Rogue will be dependent on groups to level from pretty much 10 onwards however it isn't too bad and you get to meet a lot of people along the way.

Wizards tend to be less wanted in groups however they will also be able to quad kite solo fairly effectively from 30+ or so. Wizard will also be able to solo farm slightly better than rogue as they can root nuke mobs to farm in lguk / droga or any of the other popular farm spots.

In the long run its up to you and just play what you like.

Peekae
07-26-2013, 03:51 PM
+ Rogues are gear dependent however they are the cheapest melee to gear up IMO late game compared to warriors / monks etc. Basically you save up and get your epic / resist gear and you are good to go the rest is gravy

kronika
07-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Im gonna throw my hat in here and suggest making a druid. A druid is a jack of all trades priest type caster, with the ability to both nuke and heal. They also have the ability to teleport entire groups of people from one zone to another, for which a "donation" is usually given. This makes druids a great starting class due to their ability to make money. Druids can also quad kite at higher levels, making them a decent solo class.

mtb tripper
07-26-2013, 03:59 PM
druid is a pretty good starter class, no one likes being a druid though is the only problem

fastboy21
07-26-2013, 04:05 PM
+ Rogues are gear dependent however they are the cheapest melee to gear up IMO late game compared to warriors / monks etc. Basically you save up and get your epic / resist gear and you are good to go the rest is gravy

i feel bad for untwinked rogues on this server...just about every rogue that isn't a main is running around with their epic at lvl 10. the MQ is persistently for sale for around 50k.

DukeVonSausage
07-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Don't listen to anyone here. If anything, play a pally or ranger if you can manage getting them to max and joining a guild. You will be swimming in loot.

Coriolis
07-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Enchanters are always fun, the fact that you are concerned about messing up the CC in a group already goes a long way towards doing a good job, the rest is just practice. Easy to find groups, and charm-soloing can make for some great and often exciting xping.

Overall though, play what you want, as long as you enjoy the class the rest will probably work out just fine... Except Rangers, don't do that unless you're a masochist.

Numbers_
07-26-2013, 04:13 PM
I've only played one up to 18 so far, but enchanters are fun, wanted in groups, and pretty cheap to gear up. I hear they can solo insane stuff at level cap and they solo decent enough at lower levels as well.

Oh and I haven't come across a city yet I couldn't walk into with the right illusion (I'm a agnostic dark elf). I think the Iksar city is off-limits tho?

xCry0x
07-26-2013, 04:18 PM
I want to try ones that I've never done before, so that rules out cleric and mage. I want to try out wizzy and rogue, although this will mean I will be constantly hunting for groups.

Rogue if you want to group.
Wiz if you want to solo.

Nothing else to it; both are in demand on raids.

Coriolis
07-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Oh yea... to illustrate the enchanter soloing thing:

Oh and my personal sheet: Loraen, 60 Gnome Enchanter

Warmup:
[S] the froglok king [48 paladin, Ruins of Old Guk]
[S] Frenzied Pox Scarab [50 Warrior, Sebilis Disco]
[S] Froglok Ostiary [50 Warrior, Sebilis Disco]
[D] The Golem Master [50 Warrior, HS North]
[S] Sentient Bile [50 Warrior, HS North]
[S] Crypt Wurm [50 Warrior, HS North]
[S] The Spectre Sepulcher [50 Monk, HS North]

Solo Disciple:
[S] Gangrenous Scarab [51 Warrior, Sebilis]
[S] Knight of Sathir [51 Warrior, Karnors]
[S] Construct of Sathir [52 Shadowknight, Karnors]
[S] A Drolvarg warlord [53 Warrior, Karnors]
[S] a necrosis scarab [53 Warrior, Sebilis]
[S] Crypt Caretaker [53 Warrior, Sebilis Crypt]
[S] Estrella of Gloomwater [51 Druid, Kedge]
[S] The Crypt Keeper [50 Necromancer, HS North]
[S] Froggy [52 Warrior, Sebilis Chef/Bar]
[S] Froglok Armorer [52 Warrior, Sebilis Chef/Bar]
[S] Froglok Armsman [52 Warrior, Sebilis Chef/Bar]
[S] Froglok Chef [52 Warrior, Sebilis Chef/Bar]
[S] Froglok Pickler [52 Warrior, Sebilis Chef/Bar]
[S] Gruplinort [53 Wizard, Sebilis Disco]

Solo Master/Duo Disciple:
[S] Froglok Commander [55 Warrior, Sebilis Disco]
[S] Brogg [55 Warrior, Sebilis Disco]
[S] Baron Yosig [55 Warrior, Sebilis Crypt]
[S] Arch Duke Iatol [55 Shadowknight, Sebilis Crypt]
[S] blood of chottal [55 Monk, Sebilis Crypt]
[S] Harbinger Freglor [55 Necromancer, Sebilis Crypt]
[S] Hierophant Prime Grekal [55 Shaman, Sebilis Crypt]
[S] the Skeleton Sepulcher [50 Warrior, HS South]
[S] a Crypt Spectre [50 Shadowknight, HS South]
[S] Efreeti Lord Djarn [50 Wizard, Nagafen's Lair]
[S] Slizik the Mighty [54 Warrior, The Hole]
[S] Skeletal Procurator [52 Shadowknight, HS West]
[S] The Crypt Feaster [52 Warrior, HS South]
[S] Embalming Fluid [52 Warrior, HS South]
[S] The Spectre Spiritualist [53 Monk, HS South]

Solo Grandmaster/Duo Master:
[S] King Tranix [52 Shadowknight, Nagafen's Lair]
[S] Magi Rokyll [52 Wizard, Nagafen's Lair]
[S] Warlord Skarlon [53 Warrior, Nagafen's Lair]
[S] A Black Reaver [51 Warrior, City of Mist]
[S] A cliff golem [57 Warrior, The Overthere]
[S] The Crypt Excavator [54 Warrior, HS East]
[S-] Reanimated Plaguebone [54 Warrior, HS East]
[S] Mortiferous Protector [54 Warrior, HS East]
[S] a Howling Spectre [54 Monk, HS East]
[S-] Dartain the Lost [55 Necromancer, The Hole]
[S] Drusella Sathir [55 Necromancer, HS East]
[S-] The Undertaker Lord [56 Shadowknight, HS East]

Solo God Mode/Duo Grandmaster:
[S-, D-] Neh'Ashiir [54 Enchanter, City of Mist (help with the golems/pull is OK)] with Svenn
[ ] Lord Rak'Ashiir [54 Wizard, City of Mist (help with the golems/pull is OK)]
[D-] Tolapumj [60 Enchanter, Sebilis Catacombs], with Svenn
[S-, D] Myconid Spore King [56 Paladin, Sebilis Catacombs], with Svenn and with Senim
[ ] Emperor Chottal [60 Necromancer, Sebilis Crypt]
[ ] Phinigel Autropos [53 Wizard, Kedge]
[D-] Korocust [61 Warrior, Chardok] with Svenn
[D-] sebilite protector [60 Warrior, Sebilis Catacombs] with Svenn
[ ] Fear/Dread/Terror [55 Warrior, Plane of Fear. Includes break.]
[ ] Protector of Sky [55 Rogue, Plane of Sky]

Duo God Mode:
[ ] a dracoliche [53 Warrior, Plane of Fear]
[ ] Maestro of Rancor [53 Warrior, Plane of Hate]
[ ] Prince Selrach Di'Zok [61 Warrior, Chardok]
[ ] Overking Bathezid [63 Cleric, Chardok]
[ ] Queen Velazul Di'Zok [62 Shaman, Chardok]

EDIT: This is referencing Splorf's Solo Artist Challenge.

Kohedron
07-26-2013, 04:50 PM
After some thought...

I think I've settled on:
Half Elf Rogue
Gnome Necro

It'd be nice to have one class mainly for groups and one class that's pretty much straight solo. I'm deciding on Necro because I'd like to have a class that's EVILLLL! since that's one of the things I loved back on Live. Being KOS to half of everything in each and every zone.

See you guys online, and thanks for the warm welcome and advice

Coriolis
07-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Oh yea, welcome to the server!

medievalerror
07-26-2013, 05:01 PM
TBH, I think you will find wizards quite difficult (some would rather say "challenging," but not me) on this server, just as they were in classic to some extent. When I first started on p99 I re-rolled my first main from live--a dark elf wizard. I immediately noticed that not only did I have trouble finding groups (because groups would rather have a mage who can both nuke AND provide a pet for extra DPS) but I also had trouble going solo (just like on EQ Live). I actually recently asked for people's advice on re-rolling a wizard (here is that thread: "How Well Can Wizards Solo? (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116211)"). Wizards are particularly excellent for raids--the trouble is getting them a high enough level to raid (I think you will find that many guilds list wizards as a "high demand" class). In my experience, though, that is really the only place where there is demand for the class. I quickly gave in and ended up re-rolling my wizard as a mage.

Renenn
07-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the server. Evil necro is always fun, mass kill guards/peons in all the good/weak cities :cool: (excluding a few so you can sell and bank). Once your higher lvl on the necro you can afford some decent gear for your rogue as well, since necros can basically solo naked. If you need help getting research spells once your 16+ hit me up in game.

Bantam 1
07-26-2013, 10:05 PM
TBH, I think you will find wizards quite difficult (some would rather say "challenging," but not me) on this server, just as they were in classic to some extent. When I first started on p99 I re-rolled my first main from live--a dark elf wizard. I immediately noticed that not only did I have trouble finding groups (because groups would rather have a mage who can both nuke AND provide a pet for extra DPS) but I also had trouble going solo (just like on EQ Live). I actually recently asked for people's advice on re-rolling a wizard (here is that thread: "How Well Can Wizards Solo? (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116211)"). Wizards are particularly excellent for raids--the trouble is getting them a high enough level to raid (I think you will find that many guilds list wizards as a "high demand" class). In my experience, though, that is really the only place where there is demand for the class. I quickly gave in and ended up re-rolling my wizard as a mage.

Some people are just min maxers and want the best possible group.... when in EQ .. you just want a fun/competent group.... which might mean your group make up is not amazing... *gasp*

runlvlzero
07-26-2013, 11:20 PM
druid necro mage, once you solo or group those into your 50 range you will have plenty plat/time to make whatever u want

or enchanter for the brave of heart but they really need cha gear to be fun solo

Dragonmist
07-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Rogues are wanted quite often,Wizards can port around making travel bearable.

Play whatever you enjoy that away you dont quit or burnout if you get bored of a certain character you can always create 7 more per account the rules are no boxing but doesnt say you can have 2-3 accounts and one of every class hehe Goodluck Login Have fun...