PDA

View Full Version : Solo monk gearing?

Fartbarf
07-27-2013, 04:46 PM
I am curious about solo monk gearing.

Should there be an emphasis on magic resist? Or should I plan to carry around a bunch of resist gear if I need it?

Fartbarf
07-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Let me elaborate.

What should a solo monks equipment focus be? I have a fungi and an FBSS.

With the rest of the gear should I go stats, ac, resist, hp?

liveitup1216
07-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Ac/hp. You shouldn't be fighting casters solo. Resists I'd only worry about later for grouping and raiding.

Fartbarf
07-28-2013, 01:30 AM
thank you very much

Colgate
07-28-2013, 02:03 AM
hp > ac > resists > stats

Spacebar
07-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Also, remember to keep it light. Always keep it at 14 stones or lower. Even if the game says that going over doesn't lower your AC, it does.

Estu
07-28-2013, 09:00 AM
If you're just solo EXPing, once you have a fungi and an FBSS focus on getting the best weapon you can get, then go HP, AC, STR, in that order. HP is very useful because Mend restores a percentage of HP, so having more HP actually means having more HP regeneration in the long run (assuming you use Mend every time it's available). You can also take great advantage of Intimidation to avoid much of the damage in a fight, which lets you basically chain blues with your gear even at around level 30+.

Fartbarf
07-28-2013, 11:17 AM
I am 28 now and this is my gear:
EARS: 2 black sapphire electrum ears
FACE: Tags mask
HEAD: Crown of froglock kings
CHEST: Fungi
NECK: 7 dex 7 agi
ARMS: Azure
WRISTS: Hero and Erollisi
SHOLDERS: Wu's
BACK: Cloak of Shadows (just traded my hooded cloak for this due to weight)
WAIST: FBSS
LEGS: Wu's
FEET: Wu's
HANDS: Lupine Claw gaunts
FINGERS: 5 ac 55 hp
MAIN HAND: Jade mace
OFF HAND: Knuckle Duster
2HANDER: IFS

Any Suggestions? I was thinking of getting an exe hood (maybe not anymore since stats are the lowest on the list) and a granite bracer to reduce the weight from the Hero bracer.

Sarius
07-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Gear looks pretty solid. I would maybe trade the wu's legs out for a pair of gator scale and maybe get a different neck piece (runed lava pendant or chipped bone collar)

Rupertox
07-29-2013, 05:11 AM
Well really with a fungi u dont need to care that much till you are higher.....

gotrocks
07-29-2013, 05:30 AM
Dex and agi are literally almost useless for a monk.

Agi hardly affects ac at all, and does NOT modify your dodge/parry/riposte skills in any way.

Dex does nothing for you. It doesn't make you hit more often. It doesn't affect your ATK (your most important stat in melee combat). Not sure what level you are, but i'd imagine if you're anywhere over 30 you'd know this by now....?

OP, HP > AC > Str > resists > everything else, although some will argue that its HP = AC > str > resists > everything else

anyone who tells you something other than those two things is absolutely flat out wrong. There are no monks that go for dex or agi, except *MAYBE* monks looking to proc more on tstaff, though I very much doubt even in that situation they would go for dex, since 2hander procing supposedly works differently than 1hander proccing (Don't quote me on this, please, as i'm not sure if its true or not. I DO know that with 1handed weapons they pretty much universally have the same rate of proc, and its basically going to be once a minute at 100dex, 1.5 at 150, and 2 at 200. Apparently there are some weapons that have a higher proc rate than this, but again, don't quote me on ANY of this as the knowledge was obtained second hand from another thread and I know I'm not remembering everything correctly. This is just an outline)

So, yeah, dex/agi useless, make sure you keep your weight down. You're basically good to go with the gear you have right now. IFS rocks the fucking house and I'd use it over your one handers for a long time (possibly even until you get your epic)

Rupertox
07-29-2013, 05:40 AM
Be a part of All people, and Go for str (the stat that will max easier)

Rupertox
07-29-2013, 05:57 AM
Agility (AGI)
Affects: Dodge, Defense, Avoidance Armor Class*, Parry?
Agility determines how much melee damage enemies inflict. Below 75 agility causes a large AC hit.
Max (cap): 255*?
Brad McQuaid: "AGI: affects how quickly you can learn some defensive skills, how difficult it is to hit you as well as how much damage you take when you are hit "

gotrocks
07-29-2013, 07:16 AM
Agility only affects AC.

It will not increase your chance of dodging, or raise your defense skill. it may help those skills raise faster, but will not make them 'better' once they are capped for your level.

And yes, the 75 agility thing is true. your agi should be over 75 regardless of class/race.

Again, for monks, warriors, and probably sks/pallys, your stat priority needs to be:

hp>ac>str>

or

hp=ac>str

later on resists need to be a factor as well, particularly if you're on RED, but this should be your general guideline. Please stay away from trying to boost agi/dex really high. It just doesn't do enough to warrant skipping hp/ac/str and gimping yourself at both tanking and DPS for.... well, nothing really.

Estu
07-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Dex and agi are literally almost useless for a monk.

Agi hardly affects ac at all, and does NOT modify your dodge/parry/riposte skills in any way.

Absolutely this. Though DEX can be good for procs, prioritizing it over other stats for a monk is not a good idea. And AGI really is basically worthless for any character.

Fartbarf
07-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Well effin a.

for my starting stat points I went all agi...

Mathiasaurus
07-31-2013, 07:04 PM
I soloed to 45 non-twinked.

You're fine.

Numbers_
07-31-2013, 09:34 PM
With that equipment you'll be destroying stuff, no doubt. I have a mixture of wu's armor and stuff like a silk turban, wu's quivering staff with no haste and have done the vast majority of my levels solo (almost 44).

Good luck, it's a extremely fun class.

Widan
07-31-2013, 11:56 PM
yea don't get an exe hood. you cant do better than your crown of froglok kings with the high ac and massive resists for a reasonable price

maybe think about a wurmscale coat when you get a bit higher, they arent that expensive anymore

Fartbarf
08-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Thank you. I will not buy an exe hood and will look into a wurm scale cloak!