PDA

View Full Version : So what happens when ...

urbanbo
07-29-2013, 03:37 PM
This is a serious question - no trolling shit or anything like that. What happens when EQNext comes out (it is being shown in 4 days) and lets say the majority of the server tries and likes it. Even if the population is cut in half will Velious still be released? Will it really be worth the effort for 400 people? Will other players quit due to the population hit? I am not trying to start some kind of flame war here - just concerned EQNext could kill the server before DDOS does.

nilbog
07-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Creating Velious is so that it exists somewhere .. not to appease anyone.

HawkMasterson1999
07-29-2013, 03:39 PM
EQ next is gonna suck bro

lecompte
07-29-2013, 03:40 PM

Those who are committed to this project would do it even if there were 30 people playing on the server.

HawkMasterson1999
07-29-2013, 03:42 PM

Hell yeah dude. Consider me appeased anyway.

Ele
07-29-2013, 03:55 PM

pras

formallydickman
07-29-2013, 04:02 PM
This is a serious question - no trolling shit or anything like that. What happens when EQNext comes out (it is being shown in 4 days) and lets say the majority of the server tries and likes it. Even if the population is cut in half will Velious still be released? Will it really be worth the effort for 400 people? Will other players quit due to the population hit? I am not trying to start some kind of flame war here - just concerned EQNext could kill the server before DDOS does.

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/dbb/8e2/68f/resized/too-damn-high-meme-generator-your-expectations-are-too-damn-high-ba9ee8.jpg

myriverse
07-29-2013, 04:13 PM
There's a nearly 100% probability that my POS comp won't run EQNext, so... I'll be here. That's what.

Seriously though, P99 is always in competition with new games. Unless it comes with tinfoil resistant mind control tech, it'll be fine.

Visual
07-29-2013, 04:17 PM
EQ next was scheduled to release in 2014, BEFORE they completely 100% wiped it and redid it last year.. The fact they're showing what little they have made so far doesn't mean its being released any time soon, and i doubt you will see it before at LEAST 2015, maybe the supreme end of 2014, if they rush it and make it terrible.

it's actually slated for december :p

Dllrock
07-29-2013, 04:39 PM
There's a nearly 100% probability that my POS comp won't run EQNext, so... I'll be here. That's what.

Seriously though, P99 is always in competition with new games. Unless it comes with tinfoil resistant mind control tech, it'll be fine.

A $600 computer from Costco can run EQnext. It isnt coming out for months and months at the earliest, you have time :p

Agatha
07-29-2013, 04:43 PM

people expect some kinda awesome game like everquest, but this type of game has long since past.

MMORPG makers are trying to take a slice of WoW's market, that means catering to that market, that means, maps, mounts, ezmode.

Basically the only thing EQnext is going to offer is WoW + some kinda feature WoW doesnt have but will in the next expansion.

Anyone who doesn't see this doesn't know how mmorpg development works.

so yes, EQnext will suck. but not for like 3-4 months.

Genedin
07-29-2013, 04:46 PM
have you seen the character models for EQ next? looks like wow makes me sicky

myriverse
07-29-2013, 05:03 PM
it's actually slated for december :p
Indeed. They said they could have given the public a playable version at E3, but chose to delay it until SOELive.

HappyTr33z
07-29-2013, 05:07 PM
SOE Devs said that one of the surprises of the reveal at SOE live will be how far along it actually is. They purposefully made it sound like it was far off and it's actually in a friends and family alpha stage I believe they said, probably gonna hear about closed beta signups soon.

myriverse
07-29-2013, 05:28 PM
I would not be surprised if they were handing out closed beta invitations at SOELive, with Beta starting within a month or so.

But I could easily be wrong.

Bantam 1
07-29-2013, 05:44 PM
I don't get why people say it will suck.... Historically its somewhere between the might and probably suck.

There is a HUGE hole in the market for harder/more difficult MMORPGs. Its not the majority of the market by any means, but damn a good chunk of people miss dungeons that have some danger involved.

EQ is a bit of a grindy game, but its countered by the fact that you can do some interesting stuff sub max level. Frankly if they just used EQ1's design with some better class design & more dungeons it would be grand.

Tiggles
07-29-2013, 06:15 PM
I would not be surprised if they were handing out closed beta invitations at SOELive, with Beta starting within a month or so.

But I could easily be wrong.

I just got my Alpha/Beta information yesterday so I'm assuming its much farther along then they say.

Sadres
07-29-2013, 06:30 PM

Hey, that's not true.

It's just 99.9% likely to be a steaming pile of shit, be fair.

Champion_Standing
07-29-2013, 06:36 PM
EQnext is going to be a groundbreaking, genre defining, next-gen MMORPG experience. With an evolving world where players will feel like they are truly having an impact. It's a sandbox, that means players decide where to go and when. YOU are in control of your gaming experience with the new revolutionary Pay to Play Your Way system that will be in place.

Agatha
07-29-2013, 06:43 PM
EQnext is going to be a groundbreaking, genre defining, next-gen MMORPG experience. With an evolving world where players will feel like they are truly having an impact. It's a sandbox, that means players decide where to go and when. YOU are in control of your gaming experience with the new revolutionary Pay to Play Your Way system that will be in place.

It's soundbites like this that makes me believe for sure its going to be shit. also pay to play systems just make me think about how shit it is going to be too. its all money orientated, so its going to be wow clone. how to get the biggest market share. god this is going to be terrible.

Halius
07-29-2013, 06:46 PM

Do you work for SOE?

Visual
07-29-2013, 06:48 PM
god this is going to be terrible.

Yet you and most of us will buy it :p

Halius
07-29-2013, 06:52 PM

Definetly, only because I have owned every other EQ game/expansion that has come out. Everyone who says it is going to suck is still going to try it out.

Agatha
07-29-2013, 06:52 PM

it's true im going to buy it l0l. ill try anything eq related... even though i know what im in for in this case.

Treefall
07-29-2013, 07:04 PM
it's true im going to buy it l0l. ill try anything eq related... even though i know what im in for in this case.

Agatha,

You need a big ol' bear hug and an ice cream cone.

Cheer up. You always have P99 if game sucks.

Dac321
07-29-2013, 07:36 PM
If it doesn't go free to play within the first year, that means its "some what" successful.

Alarti0001
07-29-2013, 07:39 PM

I would 2-box EQN and P99 anyways.

Champion_Standing
07-29-2013, 07:39 PM

Buy what? It's going to be F2P..........with a fantastic SC shop that includes amazing items such as unique mounts, fantastic hats, and player created content for your in game home.

Everything SOE makes is and will be F2P.

zanderklocke
07-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Probably not buying, even if it's good. I don't have time for another MMO. I'll probably watch some game play videos on Youtube though.

I gotta imagine there are a lot of people like me here on this server that just don't really have time or the desire to play a new MMO, regardless of how good it is.

Champion_Standing
07-29-2013, 07:45 PM
"Will EQ Next make use of mobile devices? Georgeson said that players want to be involved with MMOs when they're not at their PCs, so it's a big part of the design philosophy with all games in the studio's development."

FUCK YEAH TRADESKILLIN ON MY IPHONE!!!

Sadre Spinegnawer
07-29-2013, 07:49 PM
The PC platform is dying, so if they are smart, they are making a game that can be played on a tablet with modest hardware requirements, so that they can eventually have it playable on smartphones as well.

Otherwise, SOE is just making a boat anchor. Which is what most people's pc's and even laptops are becoming. Unless, everything we think is wrong, and they actually are going for a niche market, or rather, a niche market of a niche market: a healthy slice of the people who still play pc-based games.

The days of poopsocking is over, because people are increasingly becoming mobile. So the future hardcore gamer will be a poopwalker, not a poopsocker.

Just my thoughts.

Ahldagor
07-29-2013, 07:58 PM
The PC platform is dying, so if they are smart, they are making a game that can be played on a tablet with modest hardware requirements, so that they can eventually have it playable on smartphones as well.

Otherwise, SOE is just making a boat anchor. Which is what most people's pc's and even laptops are becoming. Unless, everything we think is wrong, and they actually are going for a niche market, or rather, a niche market of a niche market: a healthy slice of the people who still play pc-based games.

The days of poopsocking is over, because people are increasingly becoming mobile. So the future hardcore gamer will be a poopwalker, not a poopsocker.

Just my thoughts.

Desktops will always trump portables. Versatility is better to have than mobility and an inferior machine. (you're paying for perceived convenience with tablets and cell phones, not to mention data plans)

planeofdreams
07-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Desktops will always trump portables. Versatility is better to have than mobility and an inferior machine. (you're paying for perceived convenience with tablets and cell phones, not to mention data plans)

You're right, but that doesn't counter the decisions of people who don't care about versatility and superiority when the bottom line is all that matters.

Champion_Standing
07-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Do you work for SOE?

Yeah I write hype for Smedley.

Ahldagor
07-29-2013, 09:32 PM
You're right, but that doesn't counter the decisions of people who don't care about versatility and superiority when the bottom line is all that matters.

that's where marketing comes in too. also desktops and laptops aren't bought as often as a cell phone or a tablet because people understand that you don't need to get a new one but every 5 years or so.

t0lkien
07-29-2013, 09:35 PM

t0lkien
07-29-2013, 09:39 PM

Just my thoughts.

You're a victim of industry spin my friend. PC has never gone, will always be there, and is in fact making a resurgence even according to the spin doctors. There are certain games that will always play infinitely better on PC than console/latest-games-platform (and vice versa).

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/return_king_why_pc_gaming_making_comeback

Oh, and EQ Next is instanced and F2P. Whatever else it is, that's ended it before it began. SOE don't make great games (they have a history of destroying them - EQ was the exception for a bunch of reasons initially, and then it formed the rule). They do run them well though, I'll give them that.

webrunner5
07-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Your NOT going to go down to Starbucks and play EQnext for 3 hours day after day. Get real. Desktops are here to stay for a lot longer than you think. They are far and away the best bang for the buck.

Dragonmist
07-30-2013, 12:12 AM
I credit Verant and the original designers for accidentally making the great almighty EQ1 ...

HeallunRumblebelly
07-30-2013, 03:10 AM
Your NOT going to go down to Starbucks and play EQnext for 3 hours day after day. Get real. Desktops are here to stay for a lot longer than you think. They are far and away the best bang for the buck.

Also important to remember that the difference between PC and console isn't really that much. To say PC gaming will just randomly die when the parts are being appropriated for these enormous console markets is ridiculous.

t0lkien
07-30-2013, 03:47 AM
Yes. I can't imagine anyone ever needing more than 64k of RAM either.

HawkMasterson1999
07-30-2013, 04:17 AM
I credit Verant and the original designers for accidentally making the great almighty EQ1 ...

In 14 years a more immersive and captivating game has not been produced.

EQs downtime is what gave us all a chance to make friends and actually chat with one another. The terrible risks of dying and possibly wasting hours on lost exp and corpse runs made the rewards of success genuinely thrilling. Its like your mom forcing you to eat your vegetables. We think we hate it but its part of a healthy roleplaying game experience. You can't get the mass market to eat there vegetables so instead its cookies for breakfast every day. EQ has cookies too but only for dessert. They're much sweeter that way.

CrazyHorse
07-30-2013, 04:45 AM

EQs downtime is what gave us all a chance to make friends and actually chat with one another. The terrible risks of dying and possibly wasting hours on lost exp and corpse runs made the rewards of success genuinely thrilling. Its like your mom forcing you to eat your vegetables. We think we hate it but its part of a healthy roleplaying game experience. You can't get the mass market to eat there vegetables so instead its cookies for breakfast every day. EQ has cookies too but only for dessert. They're much sweeter that way.

Well said.

Clark
07-30-2013, 05:11 AM
Hope they don't pull a Diablo 3

Clark
07-30-2013, 05:32 AM
bah double post mistake

myriverse
07-30-2013, 09:44 AM
I just got my Alpha/Beta information yesterday so I'm assuming its much farther along then they say.
Aight... a few days ahead of my schedule. Still not surprised though.

I expect the game in stores by Christmas.

Halius
07-30-2013, 11:25 AM

Your analogy just made me want some cookies and milk. Thanks a lot.