PDA

View Full Version : When will something be done about intentional trains?

chtulu
07-11-2010, 01:30 AM
Obviously there are no harsh repercussions or people wouldn't be making low level alts to harass people in groups.

Allurah, a low level character, was training Lord's group for a few hours. While this person was training she would whisper people telling them to not "fuck with DA".

People like this have no place in any form of society. I hope actions like these are taken seriously.

Rogean
07-11-2010, 01:36 AM
Even if there were, whats to prevent someone from continueing to create level 1 characters and training people?

I'm open to suggestions.

rioisk
07-11-2010, 01:39 AM
People get butthurt all the time in MMORPGS. I've seen a bunch of this in my time. However, when something is systematically wrong with a game you tend to see repeat offenses over and over and over and over because people are THAT angry.

Figure it out.

chtulu
07-11-2010, 01:43 AM
*shrug* i don't know.

I'm assuming it would be easy to check their IP addresses and what not. See who shares the similar ID's that are recorded when they are logged in and delete both their main account and whatever accounts they use to train.

It would at least be a deterrence for people with high level characters to make a new account for the sake for grieving.

At least, that's how it was handled in SoD and a few other private emulator games i've played.

h0tr0d (shaere)
07-11-2010, 01:47 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs159.snc1/5933_1160697388412_1557129695_1405505_5738115_n.jp g

chtulu
07-11-2010, 01:49 AM
sure, IP's can be changed with a proxy, but their are DNS and other identifiable features with their routers or whatever else they want to be hiding behind.

I'd like to bet 10 dollars that the people with the mind set of harassing people in such a primitive manner don't have the knowledge to go to lengths securing their anonymity anyways.

Rogean
07-11-2010, 01:53 AM
And that's where the vast majority of you are wrong and when you scream fix it for something you are so ignorant about and then get angry at us for something you don't understand.

First, people do change IP Addresses to train. Other than that, there is no way to link someone to their main account.

Now lets say someone did train someone else with the same IP Address. How do we actually prove it was them and not someone else living in the same house/apartment/campus? Would you like to be banned for something a roommate did?

The biggest disadvantage to this server being free is that we have no control over people simply making new accounts to grief with.

Then theres also proving that the train occured. You guys think this server is any worse than live? I still play live, and I can tell you, people get trained ALL the time. There is absolutely NO WAY for eqlive gm's to prove it other than catching someone in the act, or getting a /report of said person admitting to it, which we can't accept even on this server because /report's can be fabricated (Both on here AND on live.. why EQLive trusts them blindly is nothing short of stupidity on their part. I can incriminate someone on live just by faking a /report for something they never said.)

chtulu
07-11-2010, 01:56 AM
Who cares if they are in the same house using the same router/ip address?

I'm pretty sure if a perma ban on someone's account was threatened, the other person would be more then happen to give his buddy in.

chtulu
07-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Well, if absolutely nothing can be done, then I guess vigilante justice is the only other alternative!

Rogean
07-11-2010, 01:59 AM
There is no threatening. There's banning or not banning. We either have the proof to ban someone or we don't. A Train on the same IP Address is currently not something we'll ban all accounts matched to that IP For.

Which also brings up something else, oh boy fun! Guilds share account information all over. How would you feel for being banned because a friend of yours had logged into your account only once before... and then trained someone with a new account they made on the same IP?

That would not fly well with the community.

chtulu
07-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Alright, I accept your answer. It's a sad, and tragic truth I guess.

h0tr0d (shaere)
07-11-2010, 02:25 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs163.snc1/6093_1148311838781_1557129695_1364403_7927721_n.jp g

Phallax
07-11-2010, 02:38 AM
And that's where the vast majority of you are wrong and when you scream fix it for something you are so ignorant about and then get angry at us for something you don't understand.

First, people do change IP Addresses to train. Other than that, there is no way to link someone to their main account.

Now lets say someone did train someone else with the same IP Address. How do we actually prove it was them and not someone else living in the same house/apartment/campus? Would you like to be banned for something a roommate did?

The biggest disadvantage to this server being free is that we have no control over people simply making new accounts to grief with.

Then theres also proving that the train occured. You guys think this server is any worse than live? I still play live, and I can tell you, people get trained ALL the time. There is absolutely NO WAY for eqlive gm's to prove it other than catching someone in the act, or getting a /report of said person admitting to it, which we can't accept even on this server because /report's can be fabricated (Both on here AND on live.. why EQLive trusts them blindly is nothing short of stupidity on their part. I can incriminate someone on live just by faking a /report for something they never said.)

How do you fake a /report? Doesnt that go to the GMs logs of exactly what people said. I can see faking /log on, but not /report. Not callnig you a liar, just trying to understand how /report actually works.

chtulu
07-11-2010, 02:43 AM
very carefully.

Teeroyoyort
07-11-2010, 02:44 AM
Phallax, let's not open that can-of-shit lol.

Phallax
07-11-2010, 02:46 AM
Phallax, let's not open that can-of-shit lol.

Its an honest question, as far as I know /report is suppose to report the last 20 lines to GM logs. Somthing we have no power of altering.

fastboy21
07-11-2010, 04:41 AM
i actually don't see the problem with banning someone if they give their account info to a guildmate and the guildmate does something worthy of a ban. you shouldn't share your account info with someone who might do this (maybe this means you don't share your account info at all).

anyways, i don't think its a huge problem the way some on the forums make it out to be. From what you read you'd think there are just giant random trains running amok every two minutes in every zone....which is hardly the case.

i do think this server has the potential to get into some of that out of control griefing given the ultra-low maturity level of some vocal members of the community, but it isn't there yet.

Rogean
07-11-2010, 04:45 AM
/report takes the last 20 lines on your window and sends it to the server.

If you run a third party program to force your window to display new lines of text that wouldn't otherwise be there, they get sent to the server too.

On live these reports are then saved and the GM's trust them unquestionably. I've seen people suspended/banned for something that was reported they never said.

Tronjer
07-11-2010, 04:57 AM
I'd like to bet 10 dollars that the people with the mind set of harassing people in such a primitive manner don't have the knowledge to go to lengths securing their anonymity anyways.

As far as I know ISP work with dynamic ip's. You can track down where somebody is coming from, but his ip changes every time he connects with the internet.

It's a pity that P99 is not allowed to charge a fee for activating and subscription. People would think twice before they get their payed accounts banned.

mitic
07-11-2010, 05:08 AM
Which also brings up something else, oh boy fun! Guilds share account information all over. How would you feel for being banned because a friend of yours had logged into your account only once before... and then trained someone with a new account they made on the same IP?.

the moment you share an account u SHOULD be aware that things like this can happen. its on the responsibility of the accounts owner and so he, sadly for him, has to be at least suspended if not permabanned

you dont make exceptions on boxing so why are you doing em on this, for the servers sake, more serious issues?

Phallax
07-11-2010, 10:54 AM
/report takes the last 20 lines on your window and sends it to the server.

If you run a third party program to force your window to display new lines of text that wouldn't otherwise be there, they get sent to the server too.

On live these reports are then saved and the GM's trust them unquestionably. I've seen people suspended/banned for something that was reported they never said.

Oh, well thats pretty lame. Hate 3rd party programs!

Theldios
07-11-2010, 10:59 AM

So in other words contrary to what you have said in the past you can and will do absolutly nothing about the douchebags that intentonaly train. Good to know

Zordana
07-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Even if there were, whats to prevent someone from continueing to create level 1 characters and training people?

I'm open to suggestions.

30 day ban from all accounts that connected from the same IP within a certain timespan - if people would lose their mainchars for a month (or probably after warnings forever) they most likely wont train and that would decimate the amount of trainers alot ;)

tho just an idea - since like EVERYTHING is exploitable or fakeable or whatever... there might be lots of ways to get them, but none are bulletproof....

deificus
07-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Which also brings up something else, oh boy fun! Guilds share account information all over.

That's good to know. I'll be sure to avoid those guilds. I share account info (free or not) with no one.

oldhead
07-11-2010, 03:01 PM
the moment you share an account u SHOULD be aware that things like this can happen. its on the responsibility of the accounts owner and so he, sadly for him, has to be at least suspended if not permabanned

you dont make exceptions on boxing so why are you doing em on this, for the servers sake, more serious issues?

I agree with this as far as not banning because it could be someone else on the account.

That should not matter. You are not banning the person. You are banning the account. You want to share your account then you better trust who you share it with else dont share it.

Share account information at your own risk not ours.

azxten
07-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Use a service like this...

http://www.proveout.com/r/phone-verification.html

Tie account creation with phone verification. This eventually adds a cost to creating an account when you run out of numbers to use. Also a lot of these services allow you to block virtual numbers from service like Google talk, Skype, etc and payphones.

PhelanKA
07-11-2010, 03:47 PM

Tie account creation with phone verification. This eventually adds a cost to creating an account when you run out of numbers to use. Also a lot of these services allow you to block virtual numbers from service like Google talk, Skype, etc and payphones.

That sounds like a really good idea. This would probably keep at least some of the riff raff from ever creating a single account.

I was surprised when I first started on the server that there wasn't at least a hidden passcode for downloading the server specific files to keep some people out. I know a lot of MP FPS servers keep server passwords in their introduction literature on their forums and it works to some extent.

Uaellaen
07-11-2010, 04:10 PM
that sounds way too expensive imho ...

slydexx
07-11-2010, 04:13 PM

I'm all for going way farther..lets do a DNA test and a criminal background and rogean should just go to everyones home to verify the accounts.....right?

Zordana
07-11-2010, 04:16 PM
up to 55 cent PER activation? yeah right ;)

soup
07-11-2010, 05:49 PM

So wait, let me get this straight. If someone logs on your account once, then at a later point in time, logs onto a completely separate account that is no way tied to your account, and then trains with this new, separate account, you feel the person who shared their account should be suspended or banned, simply by association? Seriously?

Phallax
07-11-2010, 06:14 PM
So wait, let me get this straight. If someone logs on your account once, then at a later point in time, logs onto a completely separate account that is no way tied to your account, and then trains with this new, separate account, you feel the person who shared their account should be suspended or banned, simply by association? Seriously?

moral of the story, dont share account information, theres no reason for it.

danethor_sol_ro
07-11-2010, 06:15 PM
i like

fullstop!

dont share acc info!

dont be friends with dbs!

dont share acc info with dbs!

utenan
07-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Im in favor of this, of course, I myself would never :

1. Share my account info
2. Share my account info with someone who would train
3. Intentionally train

soup
07-11-2010, 06:24 PM
moral of the story, dont share account information, theres no reason for it.

Actually, there's plenty of reasons for it. What there is no reason for, is banning an account because someone who logged into at some point trained with a different account at another point. Seems Rogean agrees, too.

utenan
07-11-2010, 06:45 PM
30 day ban from all accounts that connected from the same IP within a certain timespan

Make it a week, or something like that, and maybe you will escape the ban. Either way, if this method was introduced, and announced before hand, I think there would be a lot less training

soup
07-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Make it a week, or something like that, and maybe you will escape the ban. Either way, if this method was introduced, and announced before hand, I think there would be a lot less training

Still wondering how banning accounts logged in from an IP that trained will decrease the amount of training that happens, particularly if people can spoof their IP and make new accounts to do so. All this would do is deter people from sharing accounts, not training, and seeing as how account sharing isn't against the rules at all, it doesn't make any sense.

utenan
07-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Yeah i guess you are right, I didnt really think about howpeople can easily get new Ips,

Rogean
07-11-2010, 07:11 PM
So in other words contrary to what you have said in the past you can and will do absolutly nothing about the douchebags that intentonaly train. Good to know

Someone doesn't know how to read.

But that's okay, let your ignorance lead you to believe that and go train people. Then enjoy your ban when we impliment our train detection system.

Aeolwind
07-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Yeah i guess you are right, I didnt really think about howpeople can easily get new Ips,

With Bullet roaming around with 12000 forum accounts by this point it should be fairly obvious how easy it is to spoof IPs. I've busted several people in the act of training. But most were level 4 or lower.

While I'd love to be able to sit in fear, solb, perma, etc on a nightly basis and baby sit, it just isn't feasible.

utenan
07-11-2010, 08:38 PM
*edit*...

Theldios
07-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Someone doesn't know how to read.

But that's okay, let your ignorance lead you to believe that and go train people. Then enjoy your ban when we impliment our train detection system.

No actualy in the past you have stated when people came out and said they were gonna train that would "ban them"
such as here in this thread http://project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10725

and now you are saying that you will not. My reading compreshension is just fine perhaps your memory should be checked.
also you infered that I said somewhere in there that I would be training, guess it really is you who needs to learn how to read, Not I. because no where did i even come close to infering that I would ever be training. On the contrary i have been intentonaly trained reported it and see that nothing has or will be done about it and you in your statment confirmed that yes in fact even though you can do something about it you will not.

Guess you really need that memory and reading comprehension checked . not me. The ignorace abounds when you can not remeber your own words nor actualy read those typed.

oldhead
07-12-2010, 02:34 AM

I like this idea but would be very costly.

Any other services out there that would accomplish the same thing but cost less?

maya
07-12-2010, 02:47 AM
relax theldios, people are still getting banned for training. yikes.

Zithax
07-12-2010, 03:09 AM

I'm open to suggestions.

How about a custom command such as /trained that relays to the server GM's like a petition, but a "Alert: I've been trained JUST NOW" that GM's can allow to take specific topic priority over regular /petitions.

Players should add names and a description after the command, so "soandso trained me" gets priority over "omg we just got trained help me find who it was."

Obviously, you would need to make clear that the command is to be used for TRAINS ONLY and mis-use is subject to punishment.

Thoughts?

Quitis
07-12-2010, 03:12 AM

This question is actually very easy to answer. ABSOLUTELY.

A persons character is protected by username/password security that is known only to the owner of the account. It is their sole responsibilty to protect that security, and their full responsibility should they give that information to a third party and that third party make illegal use of said account. It doesn't matter who logged into your character, you are ultimately responsible for anything that happens, and are ultimately liable and bannable/deletable should something occur. No excuses, no iffs ands or butts about it. Stop unbanning people who use the excuse "my brother did it, so and so roommate did it, someone in my guild did it". Keep them banned, and force them to make a better choice with their next character that is called, DO NOT SHARE YOUR INFO. That is as simple a rule to follow as DO NOT TWO BOX now isn't it. And you wouldn't unban someone for 2boxing would you?

Aandolaf
07-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Not to mention that most people who complain and blame their roomate/brother are probably lying.

GreenRanger
07-12-2010, 06:13 AM
easy solution. dont piss off people cuz they will train your ass and take a well deserved banning. cuz the quillmaneslayer will hunt you down. COUGHgreenwoodCOUGH.

Uaellaen
07-12-2010, 06:16 AM
imho we should just ban everyone, pack up and go outside!! im sure that would solve all problems here :p

chtulu
07-12-2010, 06:39 AM
First off, I'd like to thank everyone who hijacked my thread that I made when i was semi irritated.

Secondly, to be quite honest, the stance the GMs and everyone who has their hand in this game is quite soft.

Even Shards of dalaya (emu) or WoW, and most other MMORPGs rules say that they do not CONDONE the act of sharing accounts due to the fact that it compromises their account, even if it's by someone they know. Every single one of these games clearly state that any activity on your account is held responsible for their actions, not the individual.

The question I'd like to ask back is this. Why wouldn't you ban someone's account if the illegal or inappropriate actions were done using theirs, or anyone else's account? It's the account holders responsibility to make sure nothing illegal or shady is happening using their account.

Hell, my brother's account on SoD got banned for a week simply because someone who used his account a few times did some shit and got banned. They then banned all accounts that were even vaguely linked to the main culprit. My brother had to write an e-mail and state reasons why his account SHOULDN'T be banned like the others.

Stop being so damn soft on people who are here simply to troll and grieve others. Harsh punishment is appropriate here. After all, it is a FREE server. Who cares if you guys accidentally ban "innocent" people? If they are innocent they can e-mail you guys explaining why they should be let back on.

This would deter most people who are around that are just here to fuck with others. It will also promote others to become like a neighborhood watch. Severe and quick punishments will make people police each other if they decide to share accounts, because no one wants one of their friends fucking them over by screwing around on their account.

Greenwood
07-12-2010, 06:48 AM
easy solution. dont piss off people cuz they will train your ass and take a well deserved banning. cuz the quillmaneslayer will hunt you down. COUGHgreenwoodCOUGH.

U MAD?

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4278/banned1c.gif

UrsusMajor
07-12-2010, 08:16 AM
First off, I'd like to thank everyone who hijacked my thread that I made when i was semi irritated.

Secondly, to be quite honest, the stance the GMs and everyone who has their hand in this game is quite soft.

Even Shards of dalaya (emu) or WoW, and most other MMORPGs rules say that they do not CONDONE the act of sharing accounts due to the fact that it compromises their account, even if it's by someone they know. Every single one of these games clearly state that any activity on your account is held responsible for their actions, not the individual.

The question I'd like to ask back is this. Why wouldn't you ban someone's account if the illegal or inappropriate actions were done using theirs, or anyone else's account? It's the account holders responsibility to make sure nothing illegal or shady is happening using their account.

Hell, my brother's account on SoD got banned for a week simply because someone who used his account a few times did some shit and got banned. They then banned all accounts that were even vaguely linked to the main culprit. My brother had to write an e-mail and state reasons why his account SHOULDN'T be banned like the others.

Stop being so damn soft on people who are here simply to troll and grieve others. Harsh punishment is appropriate here. After all, it is a FREE server. Who cares if you guys accidentally ban "innocent" people? If they are innocent they can e-mail you guys explaining why they should be let back on.

This would deter most people who are around that are just here to fuck with others. It will also promote others to become like a neighborhood watch. Severe and quick punishments will make people police each other if they decide to share accounts, because no one wants one of their friends fucking them over by screwing around on their account.

Agrees whole heartedly!

Theldios
07-12-2010, 08:21 AM
relax theldios, people are still getting banned for training. yikes.

umm no they are not

Stickyfingers
07-12-2010, 08:35 AM
1. Hire new mindless staff member with time out the ass.
2. Have him find the IP's of all people who have trained.
3. Call those people's ISP's
4. Have them removed from the ISP for harassment and threaten a lawsuit if otherwise.
5. Profit.

slydexx
07-12-2010, 08:48 AM
I think we need to get the Department of Homeland Security in on this.
With some of the postings here on how to 'fix' the trains, those guys probably love the patriot act too.
Take a trip to the airport and have us all body scanned at log in

Overcast
07-12-2010, 09:30 AM
What about GM's having to ok each account?

Of course, that would make new players have to wait a day or two until a GM ok's it - but it would stop knee jerk account creation for training.

Dunno, other than some kind of account creation fee - which opens up a whole different can of worms...

Too bad every MMO ends up with these little babies who suck at games and have to either train or cheat to get anywhere. Glad my skills don't suck to where I need those tactics to get anywhere.

As for sharing accounts - if you do that, you take on the risk...

Arclanz
07-12-2010, 11:07 AM
There is no threatening. There's banning or not banning. We either have the proof to ban someone or we don't. A Train on the same IP Address is currently not something we'll ban all accounts matched to that IP For.

Which also brings up something else, oh boy fun! Guilds share account information all over. How would you feel for being banned because a friend of yours had logged into your account only once before... and then trained someone with a new account they made on the same IP?

That would not fly well with the community.

Rog, I love your server man and you do a great job. I have to strongly disagree with your disposition. Giving an IP a free pass to act like a jerk using the "oh nos it wasn't me it was my evil twin" excuse is B.S.

I could more easily accept it if you just said you don't have the time or resources to police this stuff. Because with some log parsing you can see if a player is being a D-bag and find their IP and ban them. But I understand these things take time.

cbs
07-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Rog, I love your server man and you do a great job. I have to strongly disagree with your disposition. Giving an IP a free pass to act like a jerk using the "oh nos it wasn't me it was my evil twin" excuse is B.S.

I could more easily accept it if you just said you don't have the time or resources to police this stuff. Because with some log parsing you can see if a player is being a D-bag and find their IP and ban them. But I understand these things take time.

You could always go from being a care bear server to a PVP. That way if some D-bag trains or KS your group, you can kill him and take his stuff. Yeah Frontier justice. That's what I'm talking about.

Noleafclover
07-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Question - if someone in say, WI, or Remedy or DA or IB or (other guild that's at least somewhat known) accuses a level 1 of training, is there a high standard of proof for that? I mean it's a stretch to assume any of us are out to get level ones banned.

For another thing, would it be a ton to ask for a GM to check efreeti once a week and ban all lv. 1s who have corpses there? This would at least grief the griefers a little.

And then from there, I'm no whiz but if 10+ accounts get created from the same IP in a week, you know they're training.

So you ban them. And if they e-mail you with a sob story, then you unban 'em and tell 'em to talk to their roommate so it doesn't happen again.

Would at least solve the problem from those who don't change their IPs.

zs3000
07-13-2010, 03:26 AM

I'm open to suggestions.

IP bans work, and you can make excuses for why it won't, but it's the way to stop it. Period.

Rogean
07-13-2010, 03:52 AM
IP bans work, and you can make excuses for why it won't, but it's the way to stop it. Period.

Http://www.rogean.com/images/ignorance2.jpg

Volga
07-13-2010, 04:15 AM

I'm open to suggestions.

Just tossin a few ideas for chewing on.

Take zones like SolB, LGuk and auto port anyone under level 15 to the entrance of the parent zone?

or

Take zones like SolB, LGuk and tag pvp flag to anyone under level 15 who enters so that the present player base can nip the problem in the bud

or

Adopt a hard stance against disruptive behavior and put everyone on notice.. you have 30-days to change your password etc.. From that point on, any account connected with the disruptive behavior (disruptive behavior to be defined by staff) may given a 7-day suspension with higher time allotments for repeat offenders. This would apply to all accounts linked

and

by default block proxy connections to the game server with the ability to white list specific accounts who could apply for an exception.

Just ideas ...

V

Gavmazterj
07-13-2010, 04:54 AM
Volga, I feel as though I should report your post for presenting practical solutions to the issue at hand =D. I was wondering why after 60+ posts no one had brought up the idea of a pvp flag for low level characters in zones they have no business being in, so thank you. How difficult would it be to code that? Any thoughts, ye tireless trolls?

h0tr0d (shaere)
07-13-2010, 05:02 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2680/138/61/1557129695/n1557129695_1273654_904070.jpg

Noleafclover
07-13-2010, 05:09 AM
Mmm.. but lv. 1 monk twinks come to solb and lguk for the idol and the code. And level 1 rogues and bards come to lguk for the mask. And carnal pauldrons. And possibly something called Painbringer or something that I'm not too familiar with. (last two solb)

I like the last two ideas, though, mister necro.

~Ennui - monk - WI
~Vita 38 cleric

Uaellaen
07-13-2010, 05:13 AM
i used my rogue at lvl 13 to CR a efreeti group ...

soup
07-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Just tossin a few ideas for chewing on.

Take zones like SolB, LGuk and auto port anyone under level 15 to the entrance of the parent zone?

or

Take zones like SolB, LGuk and tag pvp flag to anyone under level 15 who enters so that the present player base can nip the problem in the bud

or

Adopt a hard stance against disruptive behavior and put everyone on notice.. you have 30-days to change your password etc.. From that point on, any account connected with the disruptive behavior (disruptive behavior to be defined by staff) may given a 7-day suspension with higher time allotments for repeat offenders. This would apply to all accounts linked

and

by default block proxy connections to the game server with the ability to white list specific accounts who could apply for an exception.

Just ideas ...

V

I think a great fix would be to make it so mobs in these dungeons can summon players who would con green to that mob. This way, you don't break any legitimate reason a low level might go there (friends letting you loot some no trade item, for example) but they would then just get instagibbed if they try to train.

Now, I have -no clue- if that would be an easy thing to code, or if it would require jumping through all kinds of programming hoops and be overly elaborate and not worth the effort.

Arclanz
07-13-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm all for creating a white list and requiring people email you for access; and ask them to fill out a dossier and everything. If someone wants to go through all that trouble to train someone, then at that point I'd say they earned the right to be a disruptive fk.

fuji
07-13-2010, 11:59 AM
When I was about to leave EQ back in the day, at the age of 15 and didnt care about my account anymore I would train the shit out of stuff. The best is getting noob armor for your higher level then training that gnome in crushbone with the pet that casts root. I dont think there is a worse feeling then being a low level and getting owned while you cant move. Sometimes I would sit there and watch while they called for help.

I was a disturbed teenager sometimes.

Overcast
07-13-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm all for creating a white list and requiring people email you for access; and ask them to fill out a dossier and everything. If someone wants to go through all that trouble to train someone, then at that point I'd say they earned the right to be a disruptive fk.

Or charge $5.00 a year for a forum account and require a forum account to play on P99..

That would then associate each account with a credit card # and address.

Could bans be done on card numbers / addresses then?

Arclanz
07-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Great idea Overcast. Certainly folks will pay $5 to reduce the # of IDB in this forum and on the server.

fuji
07-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Great idea Overcast. Certainly folks will pay $5 to reduce the # of IDB in this forum and on the server.

Or we could pay per month for server costs. I don't mind having a subscription again to keep everything working properly. It would also help bring back some of that nostalgic feeling as well. Now I just need to ask my dad for his credit card number.

frefaln
07-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Or we could pay per month for server costs. I don't mind having a subscription again to keep everything working properly.

I simultaneously agree and disagree. I wouldn't mind paying either, at least as long as the P99 vision stays what it is. Unfortunately, somewhere on these boards I saw an admin state that they can't charge a set fee (I guess that instantly categorizes it as a for-profit venture and would get it shut down in a hurry).

Even if it were possible, as soon as people start paying fees you have all the "entitlement" problems that come with it. I don't want hundreds of posts on these boards that start with, "I'm paying for this sh*t, I expect XYZ to be addressed ASAP!"

Overcast
07-13-2010, 12:32 PM
I simultaneously agree and disagree. I wouldn't mind paying either, at least as long as the P99 vision stays what it is. Unfortunately, somewhere on these boards I saw an admin state that they can't charge a set fee (I guess that instantly categorizes it as a for-profit venture and would get it shut down in a hurry).

Even if it were possible, as soon as people start paying fees you have all the "entitlement" problems that come with it. I don't want hundreds of posts on these boards that start with, "I'm paying for this sh*t, I expect XYZ to be addressed ASAP!"

Of course they cannot charge for EQ - legally... that might just get Sony's attention in a bad way... but..
Forum accounts however are a different matter - legally at least.

Of course - even if one wasn't to 'charge' - you could do some kinda verification - of course, a lot of those are well.. fail.

I guess that might still get 'grey'.

frefaln
07-13-2010, 12:36 PM
That's an interesting thought. I wonder if eqemulator.org could legally charge for login server accounts, even if it were just a flat setup fee. My guess is it's still the same problem legally, otherwise they would've done it by now.

tj218
07-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Would you be willing to risk losing P99, for this?

If it is a borderline type solution, better to err on the side of caution IMO.

Of course they cannot charge for EQ - legally... that might just get Sony's attention in a bad way... but..
Forum accounts however are a different matter - legally at least.

Of course - even if one wasn't to 'charge' - you could do some kinda verification - of course, a lot of those are well.. fail.

I guess that might still get 'grey'.

fuji
07-13-2010, 01:32 PM
How did this turn into from people training in zones to pay for play?

nilbog
07-13-2010, 01:37 PM
We are not going to charge you to play here. It's not legal and it's not the point of the server.

Donations are welcomed, and that goes directly to your quality of play and longevity of hardware and connection. There's a donation button on the homepage.

As far as a solution to training, $ isn't the answer.

Overcast
07-13-2010, 02:19 PM
How did this turn into from people training in zones to pay for play?

Yeah, that was a bad idea - just grasping at straws as to how to keep people from just creating as many accounts as they want, to do whatever they want.

Really - I can't think of any legit reason a person would need more than one account for P99. Even in the case of friends playing from the same IP - it *should* be - one person, one account.

chtulu
07-14-2010, 04:36 AM
My post so far is the most accurate, intelligent and easily implemented one.

Rolfcam
07-14-2010, 05:01 AM
Ban/delete anyone from IB/DA and 99% of the servers gimp/freaks/nerds/losers will be gone.

Win/win/win/win/win situation.

mitic
07-14-2010, 05:04 AM
yo kids would you stop coming with retarded ideas such as paying to validate accounts or whatever involving $ ?

the moment something like this happens, eq-emu (as a whole) would be no more.

Arclanz
07-14-2010, 04:37 PM
You could setup a 900 phone number. Folks can call you to talk about stuff and that charges their phone bill. and coincidentally they will have server access...