PDA

View Full Version : Everquest is free to play..WTH?

eqgmrdbz
07-30-2013, 05:41 AM
Just found out today ..i think im late to the knowledge, that Everquest-Live is now going to be free to play, I went to the website and sure enough it has the Listed options if you choose to pay (https://www.everquest.com/free). First thing i thought when it hit me, is weather i can log into my old accounts and visit my old toons.

So far i have loved P99, and i dont plan to leave, on Live i got my toons to where i wanted them at the time, all to 60lvl. Im going to try to log in and see if i can see my old toons. Not sure if you all are aware of this. I never kept up with EQ-Live cuzz i never thought it would be free, i wished it, but i just didnt see it happening.

Well just posting this incase you all have old toons that you might wanna visit, seeing as we did invest part of our lives to them.

Edit: Hmm looked at the Listed options and it says Limit to 2 characters, i think i may not be able to log into my old account ..if i already have 8 toons...maybe it only new accounts.

Clark
07-30-2013, 05:44 AM
Live is so much different now from the EQ I know.

khanable
07-30-2013, 07:04 AM
I was on Alla reading about Velketor a few days ago

There were some comments from like 2008 saying "I ran into this guy, took like 10 minutes to take him down. A little tricky."

what the fuck, solo'ing velk?

game sucks, burn it down

Halfelfbard
07-30-2013, 07:34 AM
The first post just sounds like a advertisement. And Live blows ass, u want a real EQ game again use the trinity of xpacs.

Not a mini demi god for a character, like it is now.

Luethar
07-30-2013, 07:43 AM
To answer your question, yes, if you log in with your old account you will have accesss to all your characters. Keep in mind the first time you log in, it will appear that your characters are naked at the character select screen. Once you log out they will properly reflect your character.

I have to say that I logged in and was dumbfounded. I left EQ Live right before Omens of War. The game now has hirelings (rip off from LOTRO, I am sure) and the world is so large now that it was very hard for my 65 warrior to find a group. My gear is antiquated and mobs hit very hard. You can get a healer as a hirelng but my DPS was not at a proper ratio to make soloing an option.

Needless to say I have not logged in again. The game is completely different. Perhaps had I stayed through all the content I would be still connected, but EQLive is not the same game it once was. So i will stay with P99 until EQNext hits shelves. Hell I have to give that a whirl.

Lue.

Xadion
07-30-2013, 08:13 AM
its fun to piss around in, my SK is 69 and I have no idea where to even begin exping... honestly I do not know how any new player can start in this game its insane.

I hired some mercenary that cost 16plat every 15 min- and proceeded to wonder around velious- I ran up to Yilinak and beat on him until my merc ran out of mana and died- go go SK deeps

Savok
07-30-2013, 09:06 AM
I would suggest that you /testcopy on live and move over there with all of us other casual players. No monthly costs (Gold status without subscription), all expansions without paying (and all of the features of those expansions - clicking items from bags etc). Along with that you get double experience to help catch up.

Auchae
07-30-2013, 09:38 AM
At about level 80 is when you start to see groups for the first time. And not full of mercenaries. Usually just use a merc to heal since healers are easily the most scarce. Hotzones just changed, but that's the easiest way to get to 80 and then after that you hit House of Thule zones. Games really not complicated, confusing, or dead like some people would lead you to believe and at 80 and up the nameds get pretty tough. The population has consistently gone up since about last October.

But I hit 100 on my pally not long ago and haven't played much since. It is fun, though, and the community is really nice.

Bantam 1
07-30-2013, 10:20 AM
The first post just sounds like a advertisement. And Live blows ass, u want a real EQ game again use the trinity of xpacs.

Not a mini demi god for a character, like it is now.

Its all relative... its only a demi god in low level content....

What you said is like me saying p99 sucks because a lvl 60 ran into CB and killed the Emp....

Fricken demi god 60's and their fungi tunics...

Burn it all down...

(I don't like EQ live.. but this is really silly hate)

Gaffin Deeppockets
07-30-2013, 10:33 AM
I still play have maxed out characters. If any want help or want to play, send a pm Im on FV server (free transfer to there) and Test server.

Halius
07-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Btw, even though you had 8 characters they will all still be playable. It states in the FAQ that all characters created before February 29, 2012 (when it went free to play) will still be playable by the account. Just know that if you decide to delete one and make a a new character you will be unable to unless you go Gold. You should have Silver status membership since you used to pay for the game (that is what I got at least) which is a little better than a free account.

Flamewraith
07-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Its all relative... its only a demi god in low level content....

What you said is like me saying p99 sucks because a lvl 60 ran into CB and killed the Emp....

Fricken demi god 60's and their fungi tunics...

Burn it all down...

(I don't like EQ live.. but this is really silly hate)

The difference is that emperor crush is a lowly orc, when a player runs in and oneshots innoruuk the god of hate, something is wrong. I personally think they fucked it up when they made GODS, CREATORS OF THE RACES one shot kills only visited for nostalgia.

Halius
07-30-2013, 10:41 AM
The difference is that emperor crush is a lowly orc, when a player runs in and oneshots innoruuk the god of hate, something is wrong. I personally think they fucked it up when they made GODS, CREATORS OF THE RACES one shot kills only visited for nostalgia.

Yup, game is pretty much shit now. I log in every now and then just to mess around on my old characters but that is about it.

Raavak
07-30-2013, 10:43 AM
So if I started in 1999 I can log in and have all my levels, AA, gear? I'm sort of curious to see my char again after so long... I quit finally during Underfoot, but was already with low playtime and falling behind.

t0lkien
07-30-2013, 10:45 AM

Context is everything. It matters. But this is what happens when a business perogative (the need to continually create new content for expansions to sell to keep players playing to provide people with jobs) takes precedence over what is actually good for a game.

EverQuest should have ended after the Sleeper was woken. Let the world continue but the world story arc is essentially finished. So here we are waiting for Winter ;)

Halius
07-30-2013, 10:49 AM
So if I started in 1999 I can log in and have all my levels, AA, gear? I'm sort of curious to see my char again after so long... I quit finally during Underfoot, but was already with low playtime and falling behind.

As far as I know yeah. I created my account in '99 and played to PoP and my account was still there. And all characters should be playable even if you are only free account since they were made before 2012. You should have a silver account at least though as I believe they upgraded every old account to silver since we all used to pay for the game. Just don't delete any characters cause silver accounts can only have 4 characters and free can only have 2 so you will be screwed.

SCB
07-30-2013, 10:54 AM

You're only killing aspects of them in the planes. I think House of Thule contains the first real demise of a god.

Spacebar
07-30-2013, 10:57 AM
I play from time to time on there (mostly because my RL friends actually play there for fun, if you can believe that). But yeah, as stated earlier, the game doesn't really start until about lvl 80 or so. 85 is when you really start seeing groups now since unless you are gold, the mercs really suck at those levels (basically because mobs hit hard as shit then). I don't like it a lot, but it's ok to mess around with since it is free.

Oh yeah, now is a good time to mess with it cause the Hardcore Heritage is going on. Basically, they make a few zones tuned to higher levels. For example, I think right now Lguk and maybe Unrest are tuned to about lvl 70ish and they drop certain gear turn in stuff that can only drop during the time of year when this event is going on. The next zones will be Crushbone and another for around lvl 85/90 or something. And after that they will have 2 zones that they haven't announced yet. Here is info on it if anybody is actually interested: https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/dont-miss-out-on-hardcore-heritage.201208/

Raavak
07-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Yah, I think its like when Isildur kill Sauron... he just killed his body... so he came back. When you are downing gods you are just killing an avatar so to speak.

Flamewraith
07-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Yah, I think its like when Isildur kill Sauron... he just killed his body... so he came back. When you are downing gods you are just killing an avatar so to speak.

It still doesn't make it okay that a single mortal jumps into the plane, wades through hundreds of minions and slaughters the avatar of a god in his own plane in 20 minutes without breaking sweat. They should have scaled the planes to expansion, or taken them out all together when they became soloable.

eqgmrdbz
07-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Read all the replies, and i guess i was just not in the know, glad to know, all my toons are still playable, i will never delete them. I dont plan on playing EQ-Live seriously ever again, as peeps have posted, its not the game i fell in love with. When i left, i had already fallen behind, i never had UBER gear, and all my original guild friends where long and gone.

A few years back, i remember reading that a cleric had gone into the Ssraeshza Temple, and basically Soloed all the mobs, i didnt read further about it, but it was then that i realized the game had lost its magic, i remember when we used to raid the Temple, now it was a joke.

Well thats all i got, guess im happy i can visit my toons, course what i wish, and im sure most of you too, is that EQ should of stopped at Velious. Glad i found P99 to keep the old magic alive.

Halius
07-30-2013, 11:14 AM
It still doesn't make it okay that a single mortal jumps into the plane, wades through hundreds of minions and slaughters the avatar of a god in his own plane in 20 minutes without breaking sweat. They should have scaled the planes to expansion, or taken them out all together when they became soloable.

The only problem with that is if you scaled to meet expansions then you would have level 95+ mobs just to get Epic 1.0 and those are completely obsolete now. People don't want to go through that just to get an obsolete weapon, unless of course with the scaling you just bypassed the first epics altogether and used the zone to acquire the 2.0 versions. Of course if you removed the zones completely and just had a round about way to get the epic that may work. I guess either way the game has already gone so far downhill that most people wouldn't notice.

Gaffin Deeppockets
07-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Despite what people say about live, the end game content is still very challenging, much more so than p99.

SCB
07-30-2013, 11:21 AM

Because everyone wants to play a game in which they never grow in power, right?

Halius
07-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Despite what people say about live, the end game content is still very challenging, much more so than p99.

I'm not knocking the end game content, I'm sure it is difficult just like some end game WoW bosses where you actually have to know the mechanics of the fight or you will get your ass handed to you. But the game has completely changed from community driven to end-game driven. When they added in mercs and everything became solo-able the game became easy mode until end-game and to me the progress up to the top, meeting a bunch of people on the way is the most fun, the end game loot is just a bonus. That is why I quit WoW after Cataclysm, it just wasn't fun anymore grouping with people cross-server that I would never see again and just running around like a robot.

Flamewraith
07-30-2013, 11:42 AM

Yes you're right, but going from a new pupil from Felwithe into the large forest of the Faydark to slaying the avatar of fear in its own realm in less than a month...... I'm all for the adventurer becoming a legend, but I mean godslaying as a hobby?

t0lkien
07-30-2013, 12:06 PM

Apparently GW2 players have no problem with that idea...

Raavak
07-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Well thats all i got, guess im happy i can visit my toons, course what i wish, and im sure most of you too, is that EQ should of stopped at Velious.Velious ruled. Luclin was alright. I thought PoP was a blast. After that... EQ seemed like work. I only played because I had played so long I forgot how to have fun.

Auchae
07-30-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm not knocking the end game content, I'm sure it is difficult just like some end game WoW bosses where you actually have to know the mechanics of the fight or you will get your ass handed to you. But the game has completely changed from community driven to end-game driven. When they added in mercs and everything became solo-able the game became easy mode until end-game and to me the progress up to the top, meeting a bunch of people on the way is the most fun, the end game loot is just a bonus. That is why I quit WoW after Cataclysm, it just wasn't fun anymore grouping with people cross-server that I would never see again and just running around like a robot.

I understand where you are coming from but EQ live has not sunk as deep as it seems as first glance and I don't see it as being end game driven unless you want it to be. You will burn yourself out fast pushing for end game content on live. As for mercs, 9/10 people will choose a live body over a bot in their group. The tank merc AI is just god awful and the dps caster either does no damage or if set to burn you can't get her to stop and she dies.

On EQ live, you WILL meet people and make friends even today.

In WoW I guarantee you will not.

I enjoy both games, but WoW really is the empty shell that some people here consider live to be. There is no community, the chat channels are dead and the people you group with aren't really there.

Idk why I defend live so much.. I guess because it still is the best mmo out there right now. Most content, best lore, community is great, etc. I just got burnt out on it.

SCB
07-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Yes you're right, but going from a new pupil from Felwithe into the large forest of the Faydark to slaying the avatar of fear in its own realm in less than a month...... I'm all for the adventurer becoming a legend, but I mean godslaying as a hobby?

People are 2manning dragons regularly right now. We're not all that far from godslaying as a hobby. Honestly if it weren't for death touch, most mobs in this game could be 1grouped by this point, and we're still technically in the same timeline.

I get where you're coming from, I really do. It's just a necessary evil of game design that old bosses don't live up to new levels.

Sithel1988
07-30-2013, 02:08 PM
for god sake halius please get lvl 12. i will power lvl you the one lvl PLEASE IM BEGGING YOU

Halius
07-30-2013, 02:09 PM
for god sake halius please get lvl 12. i will power lvl you the one lvl PLEASE IM BEGGING YOU

Lol I will get there eventually, I'm in no rush. I don't have the time to play like I used to, maybe an hour (if I'm lucky) every couple nights or so, I got 2 kids and a newborn man, I'm pretty booked atm. And why are you so concerned?

webrunner5
07-30-2013, 10:42 PM

Plus, just play the Test Server. You get it all pretty much for free. :D

Mattius
07-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Knew that it was f2p for ages now, but if you want an honest 2 copper then I'll tell you that sony's eq sucks ass.

duneadx
07-30-2013, 11:19 PM
It feels borderline impossible to play if you played during classic and quit anytime near PoP. It's just overly complicated.

Sadre Spinegnawer
07-31-2013, 12:27 AM
To this day, I log in and within 30 seconds, my chat window is full of tells asking me about the time I once ran in exp grp in lguk with Prince Charles, who during that period was playing a gnome wizard. Naturally,everyone wanted to hear about what His Royal Highness had to say about Dianna, since her death was still so fresh on our pages, to quote David Bowie.

But the main point is, Live is the hustle bustle it's always been, especially if you drew the lot -- good? bad? -- to be as close to the Royal Family as I turned out to be.

I tend to steer clear of Live, if only because the swarms of rheum-eyed Brits, Aussies, and Canadians wanting to think by knowing Sadre they are getting something close to touching cap-to-helm with the royals, well, it just gets tedious.

mtb tripper
07-31-2013, 12:29 AM
thats not racist, its a crutch

Stinkum
07-31-2013, 02:30 AM
To this day, I log in and within 30 seconds, my chat window is full of tells asking me about the time I once ran in exp grp in lguk with Prince Charles, who during that period was playing a gnome wizard. Naturally,everyone wanted to hear about what His Royal Highness had to say about Dianna, since her death was still so fresh on our pages, to quote David Bowie.

But the main point is, Live is the hustle bustle it's always been, especially if you drew the lot -- good? bad? -- to be as close to the Royal Family as I turned out to be.

I tend to steer clear of Live, if only because the swarms of rheum-eyed Brits, Aussies, and Canadians wanting to think by knowing Sadre they are getting something close to touching cap-to-helm with the royals, well, it just gets tedious.

lmao

Torevex
07-31-2013, 04:26 PM
On EQ live, you WILL meet people and make friends even today.

In WoW I guarantee you will not.

WoW has done everything wrong with regards to fostering any sort of community or social interaction, which is what the EQ1 we all know and nostalgia-goggle over fondly excelled at.

Sadre Spinegnawer
07-31-2013, 04:32 PM
I remember going to fan faire in 2006. I had left eq when eq2 came out on 2004. At the time I was with the FoH eq2 people (e-peen alert).

But I remember being at that fan faire, and at one point in the dinner, Smed asked people from various eq2 servers / guilds to stand up.

Then he said, and "let's also see the eq people stand!"

And I remember thinking to myself, who the hell are these weirdos still playing original eq??

Now look at me.