PDA

View Full Version : Enchanter duo

Rage16
08-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Greetings forums :) Through the powers of persuasion i have convinced my girlfriend to play eq with me. Unfortunately she wants to play a difficult class...enchanter. Being new to this sever my highest char so far is a 18 mage who seems to find the most shameful ways to die. Anyway just wanted some advice on a good class to duo with a terribad chanter and can help carry it in the beginning. Also looking for other lowbies wont mind grouping with bads and dying a lot :rolleyes: Thanks in advanced!

kank
08-01-2013, 10:15 PM
cleric

Sarius
08-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Shaman for sure

SwordNboard
08-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Cleric would assume she would be kick ass at micro-ing and holding down a charmed pet, etc. If you started that duo off knowing she would eventually be capable of such, then yes. I vote cleric, even over shaman. The beginning will be rough, but it usually for casters anyway.

Vega
08-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Cleric is awesome, but doesn't seem like it becomes a really amazing duo till later. Don't have personal experience, but I'm guessing shaman is similar. I imagine mage would be best duo for low to mid levels, but perhaps someone else can comment on that.

Clark
08-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Shaman or Cleric

cearobinson
08-02-2013, 12:08 AM
I play a Druid with my brother's Enchanter and we kick major amounts of ass. Double charm, tashan, SoW, Breeze, healing. We have had extreme amounts of success in our duo and spell level we exponentially more powerful.

Splorf22
08-02-2013, 12:25 AM
Cleric. Bonus points if you both go Gnome!

A1551
08-02-2013, 01:01 AM
Shaman or Cleric

This. Aint no question this! The only question is which is better..and they're both such good combos it doesn't really matter. I think personally I'd prefer the cleric but depending on the day i answer this I might change my mind ;p

That said, any class that can heal duos well with a chanter, and yes, that even includes paladins.

Pyrion
08-02-2013, 02:53 AM
I vote druid. A snared charmed pet is a safe charmed pet. And ports are always nice. Double charm is really OP as well in those zones where it is possible.
Shaman really has too many overlaps, enc/druid can basically do everything that a shaman can.

Motec
08-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Snared pet...or a stunned pet. I'll take multiple stuns every day. Snared pets are for 2 boxers and people who fight in the karanas.

If summoning mobs, then Cleric stun and remedy/divine light becomes the only way.

Druids suck bumhole without bulk gear at that sort of level and still dont actually have the spells to keep heals up.

Also clerics are stupidly versatile when played properly. Having two lulls, two memwipes and hide is very very often the difference between a wipe and a quick and hassle free, and mana free reset of fight (donals bracer and staff of the forgiven). The druid brings nothing like this to the table except evac. Druid cant rez :p

Agree heavily with shaman too.
Adding slow, and str buffs to pet is huge for damage done, and proc rates for mage swords, not to mention a 2nd pet as a very small dps addition who can aid with charm breaks quite easily. Most of the time dogdog will be 2nd on hate list for a charm break, and against a slowed mob he just chips away while the shaman aids the chanter (malosxxx, heal) and its all quite casual and calm.

contemptor
08-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Druid is fun at certain levels. I duoed a lot with an enchanter on a druid, and could always be useful duo. That being said, at higher levels, a cleric or shaman would be much more effective. Cleric more so probably.

Thaeryn
08-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Well back on live I played a 52 Druid and my brother had a 60 Enc. We duoed very very well. Then later on I had a 42 Cleric and duoed with my brother's enc, and that went well, too, though not as well. With the cleric, brother charmed giants in Kael and I would complete heal his pet. That was fun, but I think we had more fun with the druid / enc combo. I could port us everywhere, and we got deep into some dungeons fairly easily. Then I also had the evacs if we ever got in over our heads. I just had much more fun with the druid.

ozguy
08-02-2013, 09:15 AM
IMO Cleric is a bad idea for what the OP is asking. My reason is this: Cleric + Ench duo assumes that the enchanter is doing the bulk of the work. Now this doesn't exactly work as intended if the enchanter is 'terribad.' The b/f will be bored on his cleric and try to school the g/f on how to efficiently play the Enchanter and she'll start packing her bags :eek:

Druid is a much better option as this will put you more 'in charge' of the operation as druid is a viable solo class by itself. SoW and snare will make it much much easier for the enchanter to re-charm, assuming she's gonna tackle charming! At the very least if she does nothing else but cast clarity your druid you're already ahead.

Another consideration might be to continue your mage (or start a new one from level 1.) Mage will benefit from clarity while the pet will benefit from haste. The enchanter can crowd control adds (which is the mage's biggest weakness) and with the clarity/haste buffs you'll have enough DPS without the enchanter needing to constantly charm (still could be used intermittently like a bard would but you're not solely relying on it for the bulk of the DPS - makes the ench life easier)

Tecmos Deception
08-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Enchanters always have the heavy load on their shoulders, no matter the partner. That's just the nature of being a charming + CC class that also can buff and debuff and pull.

A good cleric with a chanter will be buffing hp, healing, rooting, stunning, and maybe dealing some damage. A good shaman will be buffing, healing, slowing, rooting, and dealing damage. A good druid will be buffing, healing, snaring, rooting, and dealing damage. A good necro with a shaman will be healing, rooting, dealing damage, and either charming or managing a summoned pet. They all have a few other things they can add in also, like help with pulls or fear kiting potential or the ability to kill things efficiently even without using charm, etc.

Druids are solid duo partners for a chanter, and probably relatively stronger at lower levels for a partner than a cleric or a shaman. But snare isn't any better for charm breaks than root and/or stuns can be in the hands of a good player; clerics have better heals and buffs (and stuns), shamans have slow and malo and canni (not even talking about @ 60 when things are lol, of course), etc. Druids only REAL perk over a sham or cleric is porting (charm animals rocks but since it is limited in the number of awesome dungeons you can use it in... that makes it kinda meh overall imo)... and for some people that is much more important than rezzes and CHs and 75% slow and all those amazing things clerics and shamans can do with a chanter at higher levels. But for anyone interested in the most powerful duo, it is hands down cle+ench or sham+ench.

OP: I don't think you can go wrong playing any of the healer classes with your GF. A few other classes are decent to pair with a chanter too, but they are more difficult duos to make work well (necro, wiz, another enchanter, bard, pal, ranger) because you have less margin for error that a shaman's slow+tankiness or a clerics heals+buffs give you.

Ench+cle = charms 100% of the time, cle gives chanter a TON of extra HP so you don't need to worry about runes, has better heals than anyone else (complete heal on buffed pets at higher levels is AMAZING), benefits from the chanter's mana regen, and can help the chanter deal with adds/charm breaks with roots and stuns. Rez never hurts, and you have a great foundation fora bigger group if you want.

Ench+sham = charms like 95% of the time. Sham doesn't deliver the pure HP+AC buffs+healing a cleric does, but slows cripple NPC damage potential and malo debuff makes charms last much longer. Shams have fun stat buffs (stam, better cha than chanters do) and regen and heals and roots also, plus some of the nicest clickies at high levels AND awesome mana regen to stack with clarity buffs!

Ench+dru = still charming almost all the time. Dru HP buffs are second only to clerics (I think?) plus they have regen and heals. Thorns are underrated. Whenever you have SOME room to work with when charming, they can snare everything to buy the chanter time to mez and recharm, though that won't really work in tight dungeon quarters. Druids can root too (though their root deals damage so it can mess with mezzes), deal dot or nuke damage (even have a stun nuke or two!), can port the duo all over the world, and when there are animals around, they can even charm a pet also!

fishingme
08-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Going to agree with druid + chanter. Only bad thing is druid won't be too terribly fantastic in groups during later 40-50+ levels. I duo'ed with a mage on my chanter multiple times it always worked out quite well. I agree with OZguy. By about 30-40 though if your gf has any nack for playing videogames, then those are the levels she will learn charming and once she really learns charming nothing will stop you two. I recall a time soloing on my 44 chanter in CoM, I was able to solo stables, golems, temple, and arena by myself and hold all the mobs down. It's some fun stuff, major xp with a mage helping you out too. A healing class would be great too though, and there's a lot more room for error if you duo with one.

Tecmos Deception
08-02-2013, 09:47 AM
I recall a time soloing on my 44 chanter in CoM, I was able to solo stables, golems, temple, and arena by myself and hold all the mobs down.

Bullshit :)

Sgt1stClassPerkerwood
08-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Chanter is fun as hell. Utilizing area of effect Stuns and Mezzs, you can easily change the outcome of a bad pull.

Only downside is health, so its nice to have someone with you who can heal. I use RuneV and Bedlam constantly so I do a good job of avoiding hits, but you run thru peridots. Fair trade imo, its like buying heals.

A 60 chanter can solo to Efreeti though, so def a strong class once you learn the ins and outs through many xp deaths :)

fishingme
08-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Bullshit :)

Give me 65k, and a 44 chanter. I'll do a twitch episode for you.

Motec
08-02-2013, 10:01 AM
I suggest reroll both to shaman+mage. Let her play either. As with either class you can competently take the reigns of the duo.

Enc/cle is as easy or as challenging as you want to make it. But it's still highly dependent on coordination. If you're not co-ordinated then the cleric has to work stupidly hard. Or vice versa.

As a shaman/mage the 'boring' work is taken care of by pets and dots. Both have good enough burst for XP groups, and both compliment each other very well. But your downside is no clarity obviously. Definitely not a game breaker however as the combo works so well together. Also the combo invites just about any other class to it as a trio very well, except perhaps a rogue or wiz. Any other class compliments this trio very well, as well as a 2nd shaman or mage due to the versatility of the shaman and compounding nature of mage dps and pet regen for free passive healing.

Make friends with a bard/monk/necro ideally.

SwordNboard
08-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Have her read Loraen's enchanter guide on the wiki and stick with Enc+Clr. If her interest holds into the high levels you will be so incredibly glad that you toughed it out. Trust me..

Nietche
08-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Uh. Necromancer.

Tecmos Deception
08-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Give me 65k, and a 44 chanter. I'll do a twitch episode for you.

I don't need to pay you just to watch you try to kill 40+ mobs (some of which are highly magic resistant and yellow con to a 44 chanter) in 25 minutes and still have enough mana to start over immediately. I know what will happen!

fishingme
08-02-2013, 10:43 AM
I don't need to pay you just to watch you try to kill 40+ mobs (some of which are highly magic resistant and yellow con to a 44 chanter) in 25 minutes and still have enough mana to start over immediately. I know what will happen!

It's not 40+ mobs. More around 25-30. The arena was challenging for sure, those I wasn't able to keep down as they popped but it was fine. The mana part wasn't to worry much, just literally every 6 seconds you sit down for the med tick, waste no mana, and downrank spells. Time your releases until enemy+pet are at 3-8% and you're fine. I've pushed many characters through CoM, it's not difficult since most of the mobs in stables + the golems are lvl 38ish. Jboots when ya need to kite em around in order to mitigate damage on yourself.

Tecmos Deception
08-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Alright, ~30 then instead of 40+. But now you're admitting you didn't actually do what you claimed to do AND conceding that it was difficult to do at that. Like I said, bullshit on keeping all those mobs down as a 44 chanter :p

Personally I've never been assed to sit for med ticks, but yeah, other than that the stuff you described is about how I rolled when I was leveling Tecmos up! Chanters are definitely awesome in the right hands, just have a number of tips and tricks to mastering them that take a lot of experience and a few mentors to pick up on.

Nirgon
08-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Shaman for malise on charmed mob
Find a cleric friend and someone who likes to summon mage swords

Tecmos Deception
08-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Shaman for malise on charmed mob
Find a cleric friend and someone who likes to summon mage swords

You just reminded me that we still can't recover weapons given to pets, and that made me sad :(

Splorf22
08-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Cleric.

You know, I reread the OP and I'm reconsidering my position a bit. If you are a good enchanter, your best pairings are as have been stated: duos with a Cleric or Shaman are great all around, and with a Necromancer/Magician are great as well but with more of an xp focus (the people recommending Druid probably never played one at 55+). However, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that your gf read the wiki page and wants to play more of a support enchanter than a charm god enchanter. Obviously the latter is more effective, but even without charm an enchanter can do a great deal with stun, slow, dispell, mez, haste, and clarity. The big problem is that you can't really duo that well with a support enchanter because you just don't have the DPS, so you'll need to make more full groups.

With a support enchanter, a cleric will be bored and nuking (the group just won't take much damage with everything slowed/dispelled/stunned) and the shaman will drive her nuts (you'll be mostly performing her role). The Necromancer and Magician will bring solid DPS but won't really help you in forming up the full groups you need. Which leaves . . . Druid! The druid's relatively weak healing ability is perfect for a bunch of slowed/stunned mobs (especially with clarity) and snare, damage shield, and evac are all quite useful. Druid ports are great for zipping around around and gathering up the LFG. And finally there is some potential to transform into more of a power duo by charming and emphasizing zones with animals: OT, Sol B, Permafrost pits, and Chardok. I remember grouping some on my warrior while leveling with Jaggedpine/Sandii, another bf/gf druid/enc team, and from what I remember it mostly worked like I described. Just keep in mind that Druids aren't a strong class at 55+, and they have a very difficult epic.

Nirgon
08-02-2013, 11:18 AM
You just reminded me that we still can't recover weapons given to pets, and that made me sad :(

Yeah, I know. But I'm sure it was because people were using it to transfer no drop or there was a dupe. I think the plate is pretty clear regarding classic changes as compared to before last patch (lot of great mechanical shit went in last patch). Try to find some evidence and make a bug post (or bump one if it already exists). Dunno if you gave a pet a no drop wep if it would wield it, or if it could wield it but then not drop it.

My suggestion would be NPCs handed no drop weapons will not wield them/add them to their "carried items" table. All others would be fair game.

Nietche
08-02-2013, 11:53 AM
There's not much a necro/enchanter duo can't do. Further, if you want to maximize xp, don't group. You won't need it. At level 54+, you can duo (or each solo) HS handily.

Prior to when Necros become master charmers themselves, a necro offers more than a mage in many respects, including crowd control, the ability to heal, the ability to regen mana much faster (even with c2 at higher levels), the ability to rez (though takes a 400pp reagent), and corpse recovery (summoning corpse/FD). Oh, also, when you start duoing west/north wing HS for xp, your necro will be pulling. A mage can't compete in that category.

On my main, there's not much in game I can't solo (other than dragons obviously), but with an enchanter duo, the number of mobs we can't take down dwindles considerably. How many high end enchanter/mage duos do you really see?

lecompte
08-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Ranger/Druid. Ranger works awesome as a duo partner up to around 54 when it is time to start looking at full groups. This is the duo that makes one realise that exp penalty maybe right... Enchanter with pet + ranger dps and snares + fear = awesome. This is a duo with 0 down time and mobs are dropping quick.

Nirgon
08-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Necro can also heal basically for free here (unfortunately). You can dispel the negative effect of the heal other off yourself. Really OP also for healing others using mana robe/stone/cannibalize. Works best if you have someone start a single target dispel just after you start casting the necro heal.

Really need to fix that :P.

And in b4 you link the post Velious patch note where they had to fix it after it was broken during the spell system revamp. Fun fact: spell values etc were hard coded into the source and were later moved to be database values for on the fly changes when they decided it was time to get some good design strategy going on with their code.

Ranger can spam flame lick + arrows + click tolan's swarm for duoing too. All this hate for rangers, people got no idea how to use them.

Nietche
08-02-2013, 12:08 PM
At this point, with VP hp clicky stick, it wouldn't matter if they did fix it pre-Velious. The highlight of being able to cast the heal for free, at least for me, was not having to spend 450 mana on Vexing Mordinia just to get my hps back. Also, with VP stick, I don't have to use up a spell gem for cancel magic, nor worry about leaving my top buff slot open.

For the other scenario, I've never run into the situation where I had to heal a shammy/manastone/robe user. They get Donal's heal on raids, and I don't group outside of raids, unless doing my 40-minute west wing HS clears using a ranger for heals. (This is the only time I find rangers particularly useful.)

Splorf22
08-02-2013, 12:39 PM
unless doing my 40-minute west wing HS clears

I remembered doing one earlier this month to get a South Key and thought I'd check my time. It looks like it took me just over an hour, so nice job! My log has 30 kills, so I think I might have levitated up and skipped those two rooms right before the Procurator.

A pyre golem in 25sec, for 943HP and your 150dps at 7/17/2013 11:43:30 PM
A pyre golem in 143sec, for 7993HP and your 0dps at 7/18/2013 12:44:28 AM

Sadly he wasn't up, and when I came back I was utterly destroyed by my nemeses Toop and his goon squad.

Nirgon
08-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Because everyone is running around with a VP stick on their necro amirite

Nietche
08-02-2013, 12:55 PM
I remembered doing one earlier this month to get a South Key and thought I'd check my time. It looks like it took me just over an hour, so nice job! My log has 30 kills, so I think I might have levitated up and skipped those two rooms right before the Procurator.

A pyre golem in 25sec, for 943HP and your 150dps at 7/17/2013 11:43:30 PM
A pyre golem in 143sec, for 7993HP and your 0dps at 7/18/2013 12:44:28 AM

Sadly he wasn't up, and when I came back I was utterly destroyed by my nemeses Toop and his goon squad.

Oh I should have qualified. Full group with ranger as heals. Necro, Enchanter, Ranger, 3 dps (doesn't matter). We could probably push faster, but occasionally we get new people so I have to explain that "no, you don't pull; no, you don't tank (in the classic sense); no, you don't taunt shit off enchanter or necro when charms break; no, you don't get a say in anything; no, we don't need a cleric; etc."

Nietche
08-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Because everyone is running around with a VP stick on their necro amirite

Touche. But I thought I was addressing a hypothetical anyway, so for the newbie who wants to duo with his wife the enchanter, the heal for free option is still a "go" like Nirgon said.

SwordNboard
08-02-2013, 01:26 PM
You begin casting Rest the Dead.
a helot skeleton resisted your Rest the Dead spell.
<Room aggros>
LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...

fishingme
08-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Alright, ~30 then instead of 40+. But now you're admitting you didn't actually do what you claimed to do AND conceding that it was difficult to do at that. Like I said, bullshit on keeping all those mobs down as a 44 chanter :p

Personally I've never been assed to sit for med ticks, but yeah, other than that the stuff you described is about how I rolled when I was leveling Tecmos up! Chanters are definitely awesome in the right hands, just have a number of tips and tricks to mastering them that take a lot of experience and a few mentors to pick up on.

Holding the arena wasn't that difficult but I was buffed some of the time while doing it. But initially holding stables, golems, temple wasn't a problem at all. buffs allowed me to drop arena mobs and keep them down. Unbuffed i kept 4-5 of the spawns in there down regularly. I should of clarified this earlier but it was the morning, and was getting ready to be late for work ;)

Nietche
08-02-2013, 02:19 PM
You begin casting Rest the Dead.
a helot skeleton resisted your Rest the Dead spell.
<Room aggros>
LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...

Four things:

1) You have FD, and if you were smart you lulled your pet before you attempted to lull pull a room.

2) If your lull crit resists, under most circumstances, you will have a pet who will take all agro, as long as you're not sitting down. At that point, because your pet will be getting low in hps (due to 4-6 HT's), you should be paralyzing root every single mob right on top of each other, before defluxing your pet when it's at ~4-5%.

3)If you have a pet at full health, lull pulling a room is not necessary. Simply send your pet into said room, and root every mob (again on top of each other).

4) If your charm breaks during a pull prior to getting the majority of your 3-minute roots down, you should have been at max distance from your "train," so that a 1.5-second cast of FD will be enough time. On a failed FD, I hope you were smart enough to put tiny coffins in the bank and were bound outside HS, preferably before jumping down the cliff.

Splorf22
08-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Have you ever soloed South on your necromancer?

Nietche
08-02-2013, 05:22 PM
I have not, no. But before you voice anything about mobs that summon; increased crit resists on Rest the Dead; increased charm resists; and charm breaking earlier than west/north, keep in mind that necros have soloed South and East effectively (e.g., Necrious). Granted the perma-kos faction change in HS, notwithstanding your faction with OT, along with the nerf with hide (even after fd) make soloing any part of HS even more difficult.

The part that makes South/East most ominous to me is the fact that shit summons, but screaming terror quickly takes care of one for 18 seconds, and manaskin will save your ass with 2 mobs beating on you while attempting to cast the first one. Then, FD while ST CD wears down (which will be well before 18 seconds have expired), and ST the second mob when you stand. (You will have wanted to be sure that the first mob you ST'd was your pet--most likely anyway.)

If you work fast enough, you should be able to get a thrall of bones off before first ST wears off your pet and /pet attack. Then you'll want to cast manaskin on yourself again and/or paralyze root the mob you are killing.

I would not recommend soloing in South for any reason other than loot.

Splorf22
08-02-2013, 07:30 PM
My post was a lot less aggressive than you are making it out to be.

Nietche
08-02-2013, 11:36 PM
My post was a lot less aggressive than you are making it out to be.

I like when people infer aggression from text. I was elaborating.

Rage16
08-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Wow was not expecting to get so much feedback. After reading through everyone's opinions I've decided to re-roll cleric. thanks for all the advice :)