PDA

View Full Version : Playing a battle cleric is fun as hell

senna
08-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Always wanted to give this a try, and its been more fun than I thought. If you always wanted to play a pally but hate the penalty, try a cleric instead.

Get yourself some regen and a nice weapon and some plate armor, and go bash some freaking skulls in.

About to hit level 23 and its nice and steady exp. Who says clerics need to heal.

Ezrick
08-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Always wanted to give this a try, and its been more fun than I thought. If you always wanted to play a pally but hate the penalty, try a cleric instead.

Get yourself some regen and a nice weapon and some plate armor, and go bash some freaking skulls in.

About to hit level 23 and its nice and steady exp. Who says clerics need to heal.

On live I occasionally found myself in a group with two clerics and no tank. I remember one night pulling and tanking efreetis for hours (not saying I tried Djarn). Load up three single target stuns and you got no trouble keeping aggro and the damage down to an acceptable level and the stuns are very low mana spells, you can cast them repeatedly for quite some time. It was occasionally a great change of pace when you couldn't put together all the 'right' classes for a perfect group.

So not only can you solo a bit (that will go away soon unfortunately) you can actually tank for a group in a pinch.

Motec
08-04-2013, 12:24 AM
I used to put my paladin suit on motec, vibrating hammer and go anon, ooc pally LFG and tank for groups in KC.

Alorae
08-04-2013, 12:48 AM
cool story. And then what happened?

Tuljin
08-04-2013, 12:55 AM
believe it or not clerics can take a hit and do way more than just sit on their ass and do nothing - - i mean ffs they wear plate - - no need to bitch about taking a single fucking hit or gating away when a bunch of mobs come into camp when you should be root/stun ccing

Dalron
08-04-2013, 01:12 AM
I remember being able to solo well into the 30's when I had to solo without going against undead so you should go further against undead mobs.

Also I almost always ended up being the puller as a cleric in a group since hardly anyone knew how to pull properly back in 1999. I do remember monks would always pull who knows how many mobs (they never knew) and then try to FD at the clothies feet so no one wanted monks in their group!

Dalron - Healer of the 25th Circle of Light

Motec
08-04-2013, 02:36 AM
believe it or not clerics can take a hit and do way more than just sit on their ass and do nothing - - i mean ffs they wear plate - - no need to bitch about taking a single fucking hit or gating away when a bunch of mobs come into camp when you should be root/stun ccing

They cant take a hit, because you have fuck all defense/dodge, no ripost/parry/block, and AC means nothing here so wearing plate is a misnomer.

Mattius
08-04-2013, 02:50 AM
Yeah honestly I think the worst thing about clerics is the way people play them half the time, some plate wearers absolutely panic when they get any agro because they are in a role based mentality at all times, just because you play cleric doesn't mean you get to sit and become useless oom, work on your 1 handing or something, lol.

Rhuma7
08-04-2013, 02:55 AM
work on your 1 handing or something, lol.

If you think the majority of clerics arent 1 handing it...

:::D~ oom!

Mattius
08-04-2013, 03:02 AM
If you think the majority of clerics arent 1 handing it...

:::D~ oom!

Sorry, biased warrior, always see crouching clerics.

Dalron
08-04-2013, 03:31 AM
We get no respect I tell ya!

Mattius - Nothing worse than a cowardly cleric! Clerics shouldn't run or gate away. As a cleric I've always thought my job is to keep everyone alive, regardless. Many times when the whole party breaks and makes a run for it I've stood and fought/died to give them that extra few seconds to make it. But I've never cared about experience, it comes anyway.

Maybe you should find some new cleric friends, lol.

Motec
08-04-2013, 04:25 AM
A cleric who stays and dies is a cleric who cant CR his group.

Be creative and have a plan early based on your group makeup.

Dalron
08-04-2013, 08:10 AM
I guess more than one person needs reading comprehension work in this place, your turn Motec - Big difference between the words EVERY and MANY. Try again please :)

runlvlzero
08-04-2013, 08:13 AM
dunno battle cleric is good, got to find balance, but in most situations u dont need to run

never turn your back on a mob as a cleric ;p get that shield ac ) can root so many mobs and just take a step back )

Tuljin
08-04-2013, 10:58 AM
OMGZ a cleric that casts root?!?!?! the elusive chupacabra!

Swish
08-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Can solo to the early 50s with your undead nukes if you wanted, you're an undead wizard as well as a healer and potential tank :p

fishingme
08-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Sorry, biased warrior, always see crouching clerics.

hidden tiger crouching cleric

Briq
08-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Many times when the whole party breaks and makes a run for it I've stood and fought/died to give them that extra few seconds to make it. But I've never cared about experience, it comes anyway.

Having played a warrior for almost the majority of my eq career that is how I played in a group setting. Taunt all of the mobs off the group to let them run/gate before I try and run myself or die in the process.

Ele
08-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Get a Dawnfire for super battle cleric action.

Faerie
08-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Such a shame that clerics didn't get bash until Luclin.

pharmakos
08-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Poison Wind Censer has a really killer ratio for a cleric usable weapon. i had a solo cleric on another server that used that plus a pre-nerf Fungi Staff to solo well into the 30s.