PDA

View Full Version : Quide to Spawning Quillmane August 2013

zanderklocke
08-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Hello Everyone,

Reasons for Creating this Guide and Credentials
I have decided to create a guide that relates to spawning Quillmane, as I feel like the current wiki on Quillmane is not sufficient and partially inaccurate. Any trade secret or tip I have, I will provide as I am hardly ever playing Project 1999 anymore, and I have no desire to sell cloaks in the future. Take this guide as my giving back to the community for all the fun I had on the server. If anyone wants to update the wiki with use of this guide, feel free; I am not much for editing wikis.

For my credibility, you can see the following thread:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88675
I provided my service for about 8-9 months and sold 60+ cloaks and gave away probably 15-20 more to friends, guild members, or people I just wanted to get out of the camp so I could sell another cloak ;).

In creating this guide, I used my own experience as well as information from the following links:
http://wiki.project1999.org/Quillmane
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26731
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21138 (Not 100% positive the spawn information is true on this website compared to P99, but it seems very probable that Quillmane has a 15% chance to spawn after its triggers are killed.)

Quillmane's pathing.
The image you see below is the map of Quillmane's pathing that currently exists on the wiki.
http://i.imgur.com/4FW211y.png
The boxes on the map on each line are where Quillmane spawns. Each circle is where Quillmane stops for a second before moving again. When Quillmane reaches the end of her route, she turns around and travels the route in reverse.
This map looks good, but it's slightly wrong.

From my experience this is a more correct map.
http://i.imgur.com/enaQqvr.jpg
These red marks indicate that Quillmane sometimes immediately goes north after spawning in the south west spawn point; the old map indicates she takes a very eastern route once spawning. I have never seen her go as far north as the shadow men, but sometimes she will go north and then east before resuming what the southwest spawn location path shows. Furthermore, sometimes she is found north of the shadow men but farther south than the first map's path would indicate. While the lines I drew may not be 100% accurate to scale in game, one should check just north and just south of the shadow men as well. The old map does not indicate that.

After finding and killing Quillmane, there is no guarantee a cloak will drop. The median number of Quillmanes it took for me to see a cloak drop was around 6. Many times it dropped off the first Quillmane I spawned, and one horrific experience took 19 Quillmanes.

Placeholders
There are two placeholder triggers for Quillmane. An elephant calf and a lioness; both are wanderers, and as indicated earlier, upon death, each placeholder has a low (possibly 15%) chance to spawn Quillmane in one of her three locations. Both placeholders will always be up and continue to spawn regardless of whether or not Quillmane is up and pathing around. The wiki quotes the lioness as having a respawn time of 15 seconds and the calf having a respawn time of 45 seconds. Both of these seem reasonable, but I have seen placeholders, specifically the lioness, repop almost instantly.

Lioness spawn locations
Here is a map of the lioness path locations.
http://i.imgur.com/rjnubla.png
The lioness likes to path on top of Splitpaw fairly often and on and just behind a hill south of Splitpaw and just a bit northwest of the Aviak Village. Often the lioness will spawn just north of the Aviak Village and move south towards the village, or it will spawn just southeast of the village and begin to move northwest. However, it seems like the lioness always seems to like to go west eventually and end up near Splitpaw and sometimes just a tad bit northeast of Splitpaw.

Note: There should always be a lioness pathing back and forth going east or west just south of the Aviak Village; this is not a placeholder. There is usually a lioness pathing back and forth going north and south just west of Splitpaw; this is not a placeholder. Also any lionesses too far northeast or east of the Aviak Village in general are usually not placeholders.

Calf spawn locations
My guide is incomplete here because I have not tested all the possible spawn locations of the elephant calf. It used to be a static spawn, but now it has a random spawn location. From my messing around in South Karana for about 15 minutes after the most recent patch, it appears that the elephant calf can be found in similar locations to the lioness. Therefore, it seems plausible that just searching for the lioness will allow for one to find the calf as well. Someone else should do some testing and draw up a map so I can update the guide.

How to identify the right placeholders
This is the most useful portion of the guide, and from what I know, this information is not posted anywhere on the wiki or forums. To identify/verify whether or not a lioness or calf is a placeholder, which can be confusing because there are many calves and lionesses pathing around, make a hotkey with the macro "/target #". This macro (Do not include quotes.), which others may be able to expand on why it works based on the EQ client, will automatically target the correct lioness and calf. It will not target calves and lionesses that are not Quillmane placeholders. It will also target the named gnolls in the area if they path by, but ignore this as they are on a different spawn cycle. I'm told this macro works on placeholders for mobs, but for all intents and purposes, all that is necessary to know is that this hotkey will target your Quillmane placeholders that trigger Quillmane.

Advice
Quillmane Easy Mode (4-5 people required):
By far, the easiest way to ensure you get Quillmane and don't waste time killing placeholders when she is up. Bring enough people to put one person on each spawn point keeping their eyes peeled and have at least one person near the Aviak Village hunting placeholders.

Quillmane More Difficult Minimalist Mode (2 people required):
Have some sort of tracker, bard is probably the easiest because they can move the fastest, running around killing the correct placeholders near the Aviak Village; alternatively, someone who is SoWed and knows the random pathing of the calf and lioness well could accomplish this. While placeholders are being killed, have a bard constantly circling the zone and following all of Quillmane's spawn paths.

Quillmane Luckiest Day in your Life Method (1 person required and method not recommended)
Sit at Splitpaw and kill any placeholders that path over Splitpaw while hoping that Quillmane paths by on one of the two paths that go by Splitpaw. Alternatively, kill placeholders at the Aviak Village and then run around the zone looking for Quillmane on her spawn paths.

Last Thoughts
Quillmane is a majestic beast and possibly one of the most unique/rare mobs one can encounter without taking part in high level content, so I ask that you treat her and those looking for her with respect. If you do stumble upon her, check and see if anyone else in the zone is killing placeholders to spawn her. For the difficulty of getting her to spawn and drop a cloak, it's a pretty lousy thing to kill her if someone else is putting in the work to obtain a cloak. Numerous times, she spawned while I was looping the zone, and by the time I reached her, her health was down to 30% due to some other player finding her first. Furthermore, if someone gives you a tip on the location that Quillmane is pathing by while you are busy killing placeholders or looking for her, always tip the person some platinum and feathered leggings for their help. You would tip someone who ports you, so you better tip someone who helps you find a rare mob.

Play nice, have fun, and good luck!

Zanderr Locke

http://i.imgur.com/7GvgxOu.jpg

September 13, 2013 Edit
Information quoted from Kronika (http://www.project1999.org/forums/member.php?u=31481) later in thread.

"Post patch, the 'golden calf', as it was termed before, no longer spawns in the same place every time. Now, it roams in the same areas and on the same paths as the lioness spawn. I have identified eight paths that these placeholders can take. The black shape in this image represents the hill between the Aviak Tree and Splitpaw. The placeholders can spawn on any of these paths and path in any direction along them. They may jump from one path to another after spawning, but these are all the routes they can take.

elephant calf follows same spawn pathing as lioness.

...One thing to note with the hermit house spawn is that QM can path OVER the hill to the hermit house, or AROUND the hill to the hermit house. If you've been killing placeholders for over an hour and you still haven't seen a QM spawn, the people you have sitting on the spawns probably missed one."

[B]Kronika's Map showing elephant calf pathing
http://i.imgur.com/PI8RWST.png

Nikon
08-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Nice guide.

Pan
08-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Addendum for rangers: the (correct) elephant calf is ALWAYS the highest level calf when sorting by /consider.

Tasslehofp99
08-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks man

Ele
08-06-2013, 02:26 PM
gg

Samoht
08-06-2013, 02:27 PM
How to identify the right placeholders
This is the most useful portion of the guide, and from what I know, this information is not posted anywhere on the wiki or forums. To identify/verify whether or not a lioness or calf is a placeholder, which can be confusing because there are many calves and lionesses pathing around, make a hotkey with the macro "/target #". This macro (Do not include quotes.), which others may be able to expand on why it works based on the EQ client, will automatically target the correct lioness and calf. It will also target the named gnolls in the area if they path by, but ignore this as they are on a different spawn cycle. I'm told this macro works on placeholders for mobs such as the Ancient Cyclopes, but for all intents and purposes, all that is necessary to know is that this hotkey will target your Quillmane placeholders that trigger Quillmane.

the hidden # was used originally in the game to identify rare/named spawns. you could use third party software to show them in game and to query them similar to players. seems like a bug that you can target utilizing the #

lecompte
08-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Awesome guide Zanderr

timhutton
08-06-2013, 02:46 PM
whats a quide

zanderklocke
08-06-2013, 02:47 PM
whats a quide

Oh fuck.

August
08-06-2013, 02:50 PM
A Quillmane Guide - A Quide.

Spitty
08-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Quide- a Quillmane gUIDE. Quide.

Stinkum
08-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Good thread, +1.

Spitty
08-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Good thread, +1.

Especially because of folks like Shamikaze -

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117512

A1551
08-06-2013, 05:06 PM
thanks zanderr...cool of you to put in the work on this and post the info!

kotton05
08-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks man

i know alot of folks since patch been wanting this, you the man zander

formallydickman
08-06-2013, 05:33 PM
quite the quillmane quide you got here. A+

poofph
08-06-2013, 05:40 PM
I used to camp and kill quillimane a lot way back in the day on my ranger, I had gotten her maybe a dozen times and lucky enough to get at least 6 cloaks. I just ran around the whole zone killing everything and constantly checking track :)

Visual
08-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Quaid to munsoning thread titles

http://www.amishinthecitymose.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/amish-kingpin.jpg

Nyze
08-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the elaborate guide Zanderr! Much easier to send people here then try and explain it all in game

Pringles
08-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Thank you sir!

Sadre Spinegnawer
08-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Now you all look like good parents
Not the sort that would sit around and take no mind if your son came home with a neck tattoo of an ankh
That's why I'm saying
You gotta be careful
People round here said someone can show you Quillmane
I say that's where it starts
Next thing you know
Little Johnny's saying "geewhiz" even though its just a bolgna sandwich
that's trouble
my friends thats how it starts!
An innocent game, a friendly tip
But it ends in shame Quilmane
I say trouble

Langrisser
08-06-2013, 10:38 PM
hehehe bump for 30k justice .. time to go FFA this mob and destroy cloak on looting

t0lkien
08-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Nice Zander! I was sworn to secrecy on the /target # thing, but I guess it's common knowledge now :)

danceparty
08-06-2013, 10:53 PM
ZANDERR GAVE UP THE CASTLE =D good guide brother. hope you're back in game soon.

zanderklocke
08-06-2013, 11:21 PM
ZANDERR GAVE UP THE CASTLE =D good guide brother. hope you're back in game soon.

Man, I was never cool enough to make or have a Quillmane signature made for me.

zanderklocke
08-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Nice Zander! I was sworn to secrecy on the /target # thing, but I guess it's common knowledge now :)

Yeah, I pretty much told it to every client I did Quillmane with so they could help with placeholders very thoroughly. With the number of people I did cloaks for, there is no way it could have been a secret anymore.

I have nothing to lose with showing this "trade secret", and even if you know it, it doesn't make getting a cloak easy.

danceparty
08-07-2013, 12:39 AM
Man, I was never cool enough to make or have a Quillmane signature made for me.

on the contrary i had to make a quillmane signature to try and be as cool as ZANDERRRR

enr4ged
08-07-2013, 02:27 AM
the hidden # was used originally in the game to identify rare/named spawns. you could use third party software to show them in game and to query them similar to players. seems like a bug that you can target utilizing the #

While you are right a lot of placeholders/rarespawns names started with #, I just don't think the client shows it but in the database the # still exists. It's similar to how when you see an NPC shout the name of your pet it will be like Earth_elemental_02 or something. The client just doesn't display the numbers and _ when you target something.

Widan
08-07-2013, 02:34 AM
I just tried /target # at the AC spawn and it didn't give me any targets.

t0lkien
08-07-2013, 04:54 AM

I was there two days ago and it worked for sure (tested several times). Perhaps none of the PHs were up yet.

zanderklocke
08-07-2013, 09:37 AM

Well, since I haven't tested myself, I'll remove that part from the guide as it is irrelevant. It does work in South Karana though.

Frogie305
08-07-2013, 10:53 AM
gg

Dalven
08-07-2013, 07:43 PM
As well as being an awesome bard Zanderr is once again proving himself to be an all round good dude.

/target # always worked for me at quillmane and AC although in fairness I haven't done either for a couple of months.

I can also confirm that doing Quillmane on your own sucks, especially when you come across the corpse when running the routes.

salimoneus
08-29-2013, 05:22 AM
Excellent work on the guide mate, A+!

This still works (at least in SRO) as I just tried it about 2 min ago. You likely didn't have an AC ph up, there are two other different spawns on their own timer.

kronika
09-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Zanderr, i hope you dont mind me updating this thread.

Ive farmed approximately 30 cloaks post patch and I have a pretty good handle on what the deal is with the placeholders. You can check my EC tunnel forum thread for verification that I know what im doing.

Post patch, the "golden calf", as it was termed before, no longer spawns in the same place every time. Now, it roams in the same areas and on the same paths as the lioness spawn. I have identified eight paths that these placeholders can take. The black shape in this image represents the hill between the aviak tree and splitpaw. The placeholders can spawn on any of these paths and path in any direction along them. They may jump from one path to another after spawning, but these are all the routes they can take.

TL;DR elephant calf follows same spawn pathing as lioness

In my experience farming cloaks, it takes approximately 30 minutes of killing placeholders for one QM spawn. It takes approximately 4-6 QM spawns to get a cloak. I have had it drop on the first time, and on one horrible occasion, it took 18 spawns. The most common spawn has been the one near the lake ZL. The second most common spawn has been the centaur stables. The hermit house spawn is pretty rare. One thing to note with the hermit house spawn is that QM can path OVER the hill to the hermit house, or AROUND the hill to the hermit house. If you've been killing placeholders for over an hour and you still havent seen a QM spawn, the people you have sitting on the spawns probably missed one. It is honestly pointless to go with less than four people, three for spawns and one for killing placeholders. If anyone has any questions about QM, let me know.

http://i.imgur.com/PI8RWST.png

bomaroast
09-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Dude. It's a wiki. You can edit it.

zanderklocke
09-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Added parts of your input to the guide Kronika, see the bottom of the guide. Left out some of the personal anecdote information such as where Quillmane has spawned most often, but thought the map and calf paths were very helpful. Thus, they were added.

Thank you for the info.

Ghost of White Ranger
09-13-2013, 12:07 PM

You were doing it wrong. Works for Pyzjn in QHills as well.