PDA

View Full Version : Sort of new to P99 starting off with a monk a bad idea?

bigtierney
08-10-2013, 07:01 AM
I've recently started playing P99 and im struggling to decided what class is the best to start with, i currently have a level 8 monk but im not sure if this is a bad starting choice with me having no money/items ?
If anyone could help me decide if i should play another class or stick out with the monk i would be very grateful!

Thank you in advance :)

P.S Reason for my join date is that i gave the game a try along time ago but did not play it much at all. You could say this is my first time properly playing.

Estu
08-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Stick with the character you want to play. You'll be fine. If you're having a hard time soloing, go do some grouping (at level 8, Crushbone is a good choice if you're human, and Kurn's if you're an iksar).

Numbers_
08-10-2013, 11:31 AM
I've done this myself and it's worked out fine.

One nice thing is you can get some very nice stuff on here for cheap. Before I burned out and quit like 2 years ago a trance stick was over 1k. Now you can buy two for 400pp or less. A Wu's Quivering staff is cheap and a amazing deal for the price (200ish pp, im still using mine at level 46). Sounds expensive now, but as you get towards 20+ that really isn't much.

I'm completely untwinked with very mediocre gear (no FBSS) and still solo fine at 46. Very doable.

Play what you want, honestly. It'll work out.

bigtierney
08-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys for replies, i think i will stick with the monk! however bards have also took my interest a bit so i maybe trying one of them out to:) I will work on gaining some money and see if i can buy my self some new weapons like you said.

If you are interested in speaking to me in game my monks name is Smackme :) Thanks once again!

gotrocks
08-10-2013, 05:05 PM
wu's quivering staff tops all for dmg/price for a long time. get one and be happy.

NGHpnotiq
08-12-2013, 03:48 AM
Farm silk and make friends with a tailor or start up tailoring

Jeffari
08-12-2013, 04:07 PM
My first and main character on this server is a monk, I didn't start an alt until my monk was in the late 40's. I had a wonderful time. Although it is a tad bit tougher to accumulate money in the early levels, it's really not too awful bad. I used my bare fists and the occasional cracked staff/worn great staffs to keep my weapon skills up each level until around 24ish until I was finally able to get myself a cane of the tranquil, and then another, while slowly replacing all my cloth/few pieces of raw hide with wu's fighting gear. The cool thing is wu's isn't too expensive and will keep you set for a while until you can get some crescent stuff from dalnir. If you are a human monk starting in Freeport, you'll want to get yourself some mesh gloves and mesh sandals from frogloks in innothule, mesh is basically identical in ac, and weight to cloth, but each piece is a magic item, so obtaining the gloves and sandals will enable you to early on do damage to magical enemies like willowisps, ghouls and the like. I had a great experience as a monk for my first character here, you won't regret it just stick with it.

Clark
08-13-2013, 03:39 AM
Stay near EC hub (EC, WC, Nro, Oasis), buffs can offset lack of gear.