PDA

View Full Version : Where were you on 9/11?

fuji
07-13-2010, 08:54 AM
I was playing EQ and found out about it from someone in game.

Harmonicdeth
07-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Interesting thread.

I was sleeping and woke up to my mom screaming and yelling at me that we were under attack, so instinctively I grabbed my lacrosse stick and ran downstairs.

I had to go to a federal building that day for some court BS... I was rather worried.

I played the game later that day though and chatted with everyone on Veeshan about it.

JaVeDK
07-13-2010, 09:11 AM
I was playing EQ as well, was watching the TV next to the screen as the 2nd plane hit live... I was in a partly US guild at the time, and needless to say guild chat exploded...

guineapig
07-13-2010, 09:19 AM
I was at work...

mmiles8
07-13-2010, 09:28 AM
I heard about it in the EC Tunnel.... :x

Kainzo
07-13-2010, 09:40 AM
First period symphonic band, though I dont remember anything else that happened that day.

HippoNipple
07-13-2010, 09:41 AM
I was at work...

I was thinking most people would have this response.... kind of funny how many were actually playing EQ during the day on a Tuesday lol.

Hogwash
07-13-2010, 09:41 AM
I was waking up for school, than we watched the news all day. Shit was surreal.

Overcast
07-13-2010, 09:42 AM
I was at work...

Yea, likewise.

Harmonicdeth
07-13-2010, 09:43 AM
I was thinking most people would have this response.... kind of funny how many were actually playing EQ during the day on a Tuesday lol.

I would also say a lot of us were probably younger and not working full time jobs... just a guess...

dunevenker
07-13-2010, 09:44 AM
I was in basic training for the U.S. Army.

Yeah, I know.

Tseng
07-13-2010, 09:44 AM
I was a sophomore in high school. Interestingly it was during my Latin class and it was the last day my Latin teacher was in class as he died a few months later.

gothmonk
07-13-2010, 09:46 AM
I was eating cereal watching Good Morning America getting ready for school.

Sad day.

Akame
07-13-2010, 09:50 AM
I was at work, we had a TV that had our promo video going when someone ran in and said "You guys have got to see this." and turned on the news. We pretty much all just stood around the store watching, even the customers that walked in.

Qian
07-13-2010, 09:50 AM
I was at work...

Same, though we got a TV and were watching as much as we could. I remember the new sites being as good as shut down from all the traffic.

I lived and worked under the approch for Detroit Metro Airport at the time, and I remember how quiet it was driving home that day.

astarothel
07-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Woke up to go to classes for tradesman apprentice training.
I listened to Howard Stern on the radio back then, and their studio was actually just down the street from wtc -- they could see everything from their windows.

Loretta
07-13-2010, 09:52 AM
I was a freshman in high school and in home room at the time and they turned it on the TV. We went home early that day because a lot of kids parents worked in the city, including my dad who was about 10-12 blocks from where it occurred.

Uggie
07-13-2010, 09:53 AM
I was in work watching it on large screen, i remember saying which doughnut managed to fly a plane into a tower just before the second plane hit.

We were all gobsmacked as it was then apparent it was terrorism.

Sad day.

Not many days I will always remember where I was when something happened...

Princess Diana
MJ
9/11
My virginity

Not in any order btw :)

Sinlea
07-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Camping goblin fort in ww. Heard about it from guild chat. Think I skipped school that day.

Molitoth
07-13-2010, 10:09 AM
My Parents woke me up after see'ing the first plane crash. I stood in the living room watching the news in my underwear and watched the second plane crash live. At that point, I knew it wasn't by accident. Ended up skipping school and heading over to my friends house to watch the news for 2 days straight.

I woulda been 19 years old.

UrsusMajor
07-13-2010, 10:10 AM
I was at work but our cafeteria has a TV. I happened to walk by it about a minute before plane 2 hit. Was in complete shock the whole day.

Reiker
07-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Home Ec! Man, Home Ec fucking sucked.

Mady
07-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Driving to work, heard the news on the radio.

HippoNipple
07-13-2010, 10:16 AM
I would also say a lot of us were probably younger and not working full time jobs... just a guess...

Well either way, school or work. I personally was in school. I was just saying its surprising to see all the people on at that time. I guess that explains why people are able to level up so quick.

frefaln
07-13-2010, 10:20 AM
I was working at a Navy base in central PA, the middle of the "triangle" where all the planes went down. They evacuated non-essential personnel immediately, and I remember driving home in this eerie mental fog. You could just feel that everyone on the road was stunned, while just about every radio station was carrying the same feed (except for Howard Stern who was already ranting about who we should blow up).

And then, yes, eventually I logged into EQ and everybody in EC had an opinion to share about it :)

Lucrio40
07-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Was sitting in my chemistry lecture hall when someone barged in and told the professor to turn on the news. 30 seconds later the second plane hit. None of us moved for the next few hours.

dallammarr
07-13-2010, 10:29 AM
My brother woke me up and told me what was happening. I went downstairs and watched the news just after the 2nd plane hit. I was supposed to go to class that day but I didnt. I was 17 years old and had just started my first semester of college. On this note I found these messages posted by SOE:

Sony Online Entertainment needs your help in locating Gregory Trost. Gregory is a nephew of an SOE employee and his last known location was the 86th floor of Tower Two in the World Trade Center. With the tragic events that took place on September 11, the Trost family is anxious for any information regarding Gregory. If you have any information on Gregory�s whereabouts, please visit www.station.sony.com for more information. Although we appreciate any offers of assistance in this matter, please do not petition in game with information. The Guide and GM teams are not set up to handle this situation. Thank you. A picture can be found here

I can't find it but is was posted later that he was amoung the dead.....sad...

frefaln
07-13-2010, 10:33 AM
^ Wow, I hadn't seen that. Sad indeed.

nilbog
07-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Having a group meeting with my English class at the university. We all spent the rest of our 2 hours watching the news.

OngorDrakan
07-13-2010, 11:18 AM
I was a junior in my economics class when somebody ran in and told us to turn on the TV. Then we stayed there for awhile after the class bell and just watched it all happen. Effed up. We had it on in every class after that. Should have just let us go home to our parents or something. Ugh. :(

Phallax
07-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Was at work, remember everyone bitching that management should let us leave..Like us being home was going to change anything...People at my work just look for an excuse to leave...

It was a sad day, heard about it and that was that, dont see what watching TV non stop did for anyone. I just went on about my day as I normally would.

Hogwash
07-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Was at work, remember everyone bitching that management should let us leave..Like us being home was going to change anything...People at my work just look for an excuse to leave...

It was a sad day, heard about it and that was that, dont see what watching TV non stop did for anyone. I just went on about my day as I normally would.

go back to your cave

fuji
07-13-2010, 11:51 AM
go back to your cave

lawls. But I have to say that I don't think some people cared about 9/11 at all, considering worse stuff happens in poor nations daily.

Phallax
07-13-2010, 11:52 AM
go back to your cave

You mean the cave where I act like I care about others like majority of people? Ive always lived through life only caring about what happens to me or people close to me. If I dont know you I dont care about you, its alot easier to live that way.

fuji
07-13-2010, 11:54 AM
You mean the cave where I act like I care about others like majority of people? Ive always lived through life only caring about what happens to me or people close to me. If I dont know you I dont care about you, its alot easier to live that way.

Lawls, I could only imagine a doctor saying that to you before he turned you down for a life threatening operation.

It is just easier that way.

Phallax
07-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Lawls, I could only imagine a doctor saying that to you before he turned you down for a life threatening operation.

It is just easier that way.

Its his job to do the work, its not my job to care. Your example is flawed.

Straif
07-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Weird... was discussing this last night in psych class.

Sophomore year, Walked into 2nd period year and everyone was dead quiet watching the TV in class, first plane had already hit.

Excision Rottun
07-13-2010, 12:32 PM
American Airlines Flight 77

vini
07-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I was on holiday in kreta( greece) . Went out for a walk with my mates and saw lotta people runnin towards bigscreen tvs some terrasses had. Then i was stunned for what i saw on the screen.

We had to fly back 2 days after( not to the usa tho), i kissed the ground when we arrived at our homeland lol. i never have fear of flying but this time it was a bit different.

I have a pre-storie to this also lol, but ill tell in short.

The day before 9/11, we went to visit a mountain in kreta where the god of war rests(some ruins where there) and we accidently made a huge fire with 1 siggaret that was trown away... firesquads etc all had to come the fire , it was really an amazing fire in a few seconds( high winds and very dry season, u had to be there )

So we fled that sceen and tought the police where after us lol( bit paranoia but hey we literally litted up a whole mountain and we didnt wanted to end up with sone greeks in a prison.... we didnt do it on purpuse tho. And no other people where near the place.( back of the mountain had a huge cliff so there was only 1 way down...( plus we checked the news for days after, but only 9/11 was on it ... :D

So we came at the airport 2 days after and yea it was full off police offcourse lol cause of 9/11. So we lost a bit of weight the trip back ... are they looking for us ????!!!!

So yea we where responsable for the awakening of the god of war...!!!!!!

Kraftwerk
07-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Its his job to do the work, its not my job to care. Your example is flawed.

A lack of empathy or caring for another human being's condition is not some lifestyle choice of yours, it is sociopathic and degradory to the advancement of our species and society as a whole. If you are actually honest in how flippantly you claim to be void of any compassion for other human beings outside of your own circle I am disgusted that you are a part of this online community and hope that something shakes you out of your narcissistic shell of an existence. The moment you said in global ooc months ago to "get over 9/11" I knew I would not regret placing you on ignore. I apologize for derailing this thread, and to keep it somewhat on topic...

I was in Drafting class 11th grade.

frefaln
07-13-2010, 01:19 PM
^ As much as an anonymous person on a message board can be my hero, you are now it.

fuji
07-13-2010, 01:22 PM
^ As much as an anonymous person on a message board can be my hero, you are now it.

My hero as well. Very well said.

Lowlife
07-13-2010, 01:28 PM
I was a senior in HS, I walked to math class like 15 minutes late like 9:45 and everyone was watching it on TV, I had no idea what was going on, this douchebag kid screamed "The Empire State Building is number one again LOLOLOL." Well, he didn't say 'LOL" obviously, but you get the point. I was like WTF, stayed glued to the news for days. later joined the Marines as a grunt, did tours in Helman Provience Afghanistan and Al Anbar Iraq. PvP IRL. Actually got just back from yet another deployment this May, started playing like 3 weeks ago.

EvilMallet
07-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I was watching TV all morning and decided not to go to school that day :\

frefaln
07-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Lot of people mentioning how much TV they watched. I was the same way, and I think 9/11 was the first time I truly realized that, yes, there IS such a thing as news overload. After roughly 48 hours straight of clinging to CNN for the latest details I realized my world view was eroding very quickly. I had to shut it off to restore my sanity.

fuji
07-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Lot of people mentioning how much TV they watched. I was the same way, and I think 9/11 was the first time I truly realized that, yes, there IS such a thing as news overload. After roughly 48 hours straight of clinging to CNN for the latest details I realized my world view was eroding very quickly. I had to shut it off to restore my sanity.

This might sound bad, but whoever decided to advertise their commercials on CNN that day was really lucky.

Majuna
07-13-2010, 01:43 PM
I was in my seventh grade advisory class when an announcement came on over the speakers. We had the news with it on all day for at least a few days and every day in advisory for the rest of the year.

Overcast
07-13-2010, 02:32 PM
This might sound bad, but whoever decided to advertise their commercials on CNN that day was really lucky.

I think for me... the news...
I noticed a lot on that day, 'thanks' to the news.

They seemed to just make a big 'show' out of it. All the pretty moving graphics for it all, hell they even came up with a title for the whole damn thing to seem 'catchy' - I guess. Like you would for a sitcom or whatever.

Seemed like more of a dog and pony show to me than real news reporting.

Can't help but to think some execs were overjoyed with the ratings they were getting.

Anymore I rarely watch TV news. I'm pretty cynical to say the least..

Nizzarr
07-13-2010, 03:24 PM
I was still in bed when my mom woke me up, telling me that multiple planes crashed in buildings in new york. That was at about 10am, I had some classes the afternoon and I decided not to go and follow this closely instead.

I logged on everquest and everyone and their mother was discussing about the events.

ukaking
07-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Was in Warilks Woods when I got the call. Couldnt believe it.

jelatin
07-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Was my freshmen year of high school, right at the beginning of the school year (duh, September). We were all still kind of nervous freshmen, but between classes people kept buzzing with news of what was going on. I remember my second period of the day was history and our teacher just told us to shut up and brought in a TV for us to watch.

After the bell rang for the next period we got mobbed in the halls by upperclassmen because our teacher was one of the only ones who let us watch the news the whole hour, so we had the most up-to-date info.

hueylewis187
07-13-2010, 04:02 PM
I was in betzdorf germany. I was visiting my than girlfriend. Just got back from shopping in the cool little stores they have. It was early afternoon when my brother called from america telling me to turn on the news. I was like dammmmm is this for real. Than all the german kids walked around with u.s. flags for the next week or so. I got a flight back to the u.s. "before all the flight security was put in place, thank god." about 3 weeks later with my gfriend. We are still together eq'ing to this day.

They shouldn't of plane bombed us. But we are worse than they are by far.
WE KILLED over 100,000 innocent iraq civilians that had nothing to do with it.

Breuce
07-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Sophomore Year of HS. In 'Computer' class. Hippie drugged out teacher said it was the work of Benjamin Netanyahu. No foolies.

Funny that one of my most vivid memories of probably the defining moment of my generation in my country is one loaded with somebody living out the ridiculous stereotype of American ignorance.

To be fair, I wouldn't look nearly as good as he did if I had done that much acid. But come on.

Damaja
07-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I was getting out of the shower and about to go pick up my girlfriend. Saw the news broadcast and never went to pick her up, I remember sitting at the TV for hours watching it.

WE KILLED over 100,000 innocent iraq civilians that had nothing to do with it.oh yea and eye for an eye works everytime right? Those folks in the Towers didn't have shit to do with what happened over there.

scecie
07-13-2010, 04:23 PM
I was assleep and my roomate woke me up. We just sat there, watched and cried. I traveled a lot for my job back then and when the airports opened back everyone in the terminals and on the plane were somber but vigilent. It seemed like we were all on edge; ready to sacrifice ourselves to keep something like that from happening again.

HamNCheese
07-13-2010, 04:34 PM
heh I was on a plane, waiting to taxi, on my connecting leg of a red-eye from LAX to Dulles. All of a sudden, dozens of airport crew ran out of the terminals and directed all planes to re-attach to the jetway for immediate evacuation into the terminal.

Once inside, FAA blacked out the TVs in the terminal - except for ONE restaurant / bar, where I saw plane #2 collide on live television. Most people were hearing the news on their cell phones. Pandemonium ensued. FAA tried to stop the trams from going back to the main concourse - my then-girlfriend and I were able to catch the last one before they stopped.

It was crazy - everyone was out of rental cars, all flights were grounded, police everywhere, people fighting for cabs to get the hell away from the airport. We stayed with some friends while trying to sort out where my bags would end up (DC, or Virginia - my final destination.) I ended up getting a ride 1/2 way back home the same day - it took a few days before flights returned to a "normal" schedule, and I finally had my bags re-routed to my original destination.

HamNCheese
07-13-2010, 04:37 PM
oh yea and eye for an eye works everytime right? Those folks in the Towers didn't have shit to do with what happened over there.

No, Iraq had little to do with Al-Queda. If we wanted to punish someone, punish Saudi Arabia - at least we would stop their main source of funding. Instead, we continue to pay them for their oil.

Yay.

Lowlife
07-13-2010, 04:58 PM
They shouldn't of plane bombed us. But we are worse than they are by far. WE KILLED over 100,000 innocent iraq civilians that had nothing to do with it.

I was originally going to say "Unless you've been there, shut the fuck up.", is a very broad responce to a very broad statement, that eludes to the strerotypical hard right winger vet who believes Iraq and 9/11 share any sort of connection. But they do not, however, to say "we" are "worse than they are by far.", shows a profound ignorance of the situation as a whole and depicts all OIF/OEF vets as barbarians killing civillians indiscriminately, so I'll prolly return to my original simple reply..

Unless you've been there, shut the fuck up.

Aeolwind
07-13-2010, 05:22 PM
I was asleep. My alarm clock went off and I thought it was a War of the Worlds type book reading and turned my clock off and turned the TV on to a rather surreal moment right as the 2nd plane hit.

Bodeanicus
07-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Was passed out on a friend's couch. His roommate's mom starts beating on the front door. I open the door, she says "Where's Jake?" I say "I don't know." She then says "We're going to war, turn on the TV." Remember it like it was yesterday.

Reiker
07-13-2010, 05:28 PM
I was in betzdorf germany. I was visiting my than girlfriend. Just got back from shopping in the cool little stores they have. It was early afternoon when my brother called from america telling me to turn on the news. I was like dammmmm is this for real. Than all the german kids walked around with u.s. flags for the next week or so. I got a flight back to the u.s. "before all the flight security was put in place, thank god." about 3 weeks later with my gfriend. We are still together eq'ing to this day.

You should be banned from real life.

Cerzi
07-13-2010, 05:28 PM
I was playing anarchy online, heh

Aeolwind
07-13-2010, 05:31 PM

The genocide that Saddam enacted before we got there (Nearing Polpot range here!) is irrelevent. Killed over 1 million Iraqi's, several hundred thousand Kurds.

I have friends there right now. They still get thanked on a daily basis: Sunni & Shi'ite both. The ends never justify the means; doesn't mean what those "ends" won't be beneficial to the Iraqi's in the future.

Kreigore
07-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Woke up to go to classes for tradesman apprentice training.
I listened to Howard Stern on the radio back then, and their studio was actually just down the street from wtc -- they could see everything from their windows.

I was a freshman in college driving to a general education class (Music and Culture) and also happened to be listening to Howard Stern. I originally thought it was a bit, but quickly realized it wasn't...

mixxit
07-13-2010, 05:39 PM
My brother woke me up and told me what was happening. I went downstairs and watched the news just after the 2nd plane hit. I was supposed to go to class that day but I didnt. I was 17 years old and had just started my first semester of college. On this note I found these messages posted by SOE:

Sony Online Entertainment needs your help in locating Gregory Trost. Gregory is a nephew of an SOE employee and his last known location was the 86th floor of Tower Two in the World Trade Center. With the tragic events that took place on September 11, the Trost family is anxious for any information regarding Gregory. If you have any information on Gregory�s whereabouts, please visit www.station.sony.com for more information. Although we appreciate any offers of assistance in this matter, please do not petition in game with information. The Guide and GM teams are not set up to handle this situation. Thank you. A picture can be found here

I can't find it but is was posted later that he was amoung the dead.....sad...

Bill Trost was the lead designer of the old world eq - he is the one guy you really need to butt fuck for your love of classic. Feel sorry for him :(

On 9/11 I had some friends over for a bit of a gamign session and we were playing system shock 2 co-op - bitching game but the news was like eek!

I also remember watching on bbc news the first night of the shock and awe campaign - crazy stuff!

Arclanz
07-13-2010, 05:42 PM
I was in basic training for the U.S. Army.

Yeah, I know.

WhN i was in basic, Kadafi was the current bad guy. We all had cadences about killing him. I can't imagine how gung ho and out for blood you soldiers must have been for Bin Laden.

Lowlife
07-13-2010, 05:47 PM
The genocide that Saddam enacted before we got there (Nearing Polpot range here!) is irrelevent. Killed over 1 million Iraqi's, several hundred thousand Kurds.

I have friends there right now. They still get thanked on a daily basis: Sunni & Shi'ite both. The ends never justify the means; doesn't mean what those "ends" won't be beneficial to the Iraqi's in the future.

heart you irl

nicemace
07-13-2010, 06:29 PM
was just waking up to go snowboarding in wanaka, new zealand :P

Derpus
07-13-2010, 06:47 PM
the overthere

girth
07-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Spanish class, they made us turn on the TVs and watch the news. All the teachers were out in the hallway talking to each other trippin.

PhelanKA
07-13-2010, 07:28 PM
I was playing anarchy online, heh

Ha! Me too!

I was having breakfast before going to work that morning and saw the report come on after the first tower was hit. Then I watched it live as the second plane hit. I found out later that week that an old friend from EQ perished in WTC 2. (Ophelia of the Dark Carnival guild on Rallos Zek. RIP)

I tried to enlist in the Marines after the attacks to get some revenge on those bastards but a preexisting condition kept me out :(. In hindsight I would have been pissed if I had ended up in Iraq but that's a whole other subject....

Muergan
07-13-2010, 07:52 PM
I was a freshman in college at the time and I was awaken by my father shortly after the first plane hit. I got dressed and made my way over to my fire department just in time to see the second one hit on tv. Shortly after they dispatched our ladder truck and one engine to staten island. I was on the engine company and we got staged at the staten island ferry terminal waiting to get sent over to ground zero. When it finally came our turn to go over around 5-6pm they told us to report back to new jersey.

I will never forget that day looking across the river and just seeing the smoke and blown out windows of near by buildings. The people coming off the ferry who had been at ground zero, and coming to staten island for medical attention covered in white dust. Everyone around was very somber at the sight, and couldn't do enough to help each other. It truely was the day that brought a city to its knees, but also untied all its people. If you could see how every person cared for one another it was truely a thing of beauty even in the wake of such a horrible event.

Also I knew a few people who were lost, and others that narrowly escaped.

It is one thing that I will never forget as long as I live...

Humwawa
07-13-2010, 07:55 PM
I worked night shifts at the time.

My roommate came in my room and woke me up. He sat down on the side of the bed, lit us both a smoke, and told me the United States was under attack.

We both assumed it was World War III, so we just smoked for awhile and thought about how the world would end.

I miss that guy.

Spud
07-13-2010, 08:07 PM
I was a sophmore in high school and was in biology class (lol something about biology class sounds so cliche but i was really there)

My father was working in Manhattan that day so i was pretty worried. He had to come via walking. We had the whole week off from school.

Loke
07-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Walking into Miss Damon-Wynn's 1st period freshman history class. I was actually completely oblivious to what was going on for like 5-10 minutes because I had headphones on.

Dumesh Uhl'Belk
07-13-2010, 10:56 PM
I was working at Circuit City back then. I saw the replay of the first plane within minutes and the second one live... on about 40 screens at once in our video department. It was surreal. I don't think we had more than a dozen customers on that shift, most just wanted batteries or battery powered TVs and radios.

A lot of us went out to give blood that afternoon. A few went to sign up for the army.

Allizia
07-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Was on a SATCOM tech school exercise in the Air Force, I actually didn't find out about it until hours later when they canceled everything and locked us down on base for like 3 days.

RKromwell
07-13-2010, 11:09 PM
I was reading my guilds message board at home. I work nights and was thinking about heading to bed. I didn't sleep for two days after that.

h0tr0d (shaere)
07-13-2010, 11:13 PM
TMO... orders overseas. 2 days later I was overseas....

Darkrainhunter
07-13-2010, 11:26 PM
I was checking in a truck in a warehouse when my UPS driver came over and told me that somebody flew a prop-plane into the Sears Tower.

I turned on the radio and found out what was really happening and got to a TV to see the second plane hit. I closed up my store early and drove home under the billowing smoke coming from the Pentagon.

After shooting some emails, I logged onto Tunare and sat in Gbay doing and Elidorian headcount. After all the 15 or so Elidorians who lived and or worked around the Pentagon checked in. I logged off.

It was a week before I could see the sky from my house without the smoke from the Pentagon.

Dac321
07-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Was getting off the bus at the time, and as I was walking out the driver mentioned one of the World Trade Centers was hit by a plane.

Gavmazterj
07-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Firstly, Hotrod, what is TMO?
Secondly, thank you to lowlife and all others who have served.
Thirdly, it was my second year in college and I was at work that morning, waiting tables at a small place in the 'burbs away from campus. The only customer the entire morning/afternoon was a little old widow who must've been 85. She told me that we'd just witnessed the Pearl Harbor of of my generation and that its consequences would "ripple for decades". Prescient insights.

fastboy21
07-14-2010, 02:06 AM
a friend of mine had come to pay me his rent for the month, when he woke me up he told me that a plane had hit the wtc...i didn't really think much of it, and figured it was a small private plane that got too low over the city (like the one that hit the empire state building years before). Obviously, as I got dressed and watched the second plane hit we knew it was no accident or harmless.

i was living near the hudson in nj, so we could see the city sky line from our apartments. I'll never forget seeing F-16s flying over us at top speed towards Manhattan...I remember thinking, "sweet god, the air force is flying cover missions over nyc, and its not a drill."

i had two friends living in downtown Manhattan at the time and two of my friends watching the tv at my house had family members that worked at the wtc. one of them had been late to work that day, the other one died in tower 2.

as for not caring about the wtc or lives lost, or thinking its not a big deal, then you are out of your mind. if you can't have the humanity within you to feel tremendous compassion for the men and women who died in a senseless act of violence you should at least be able to understand the significant change it brought to our world.

Khaz
07-14-2010, 02:17 AM
How freakin weird this thread was here...just finished watching the movie "Remember Me" while camping the AC...

yeah lame but hey keeps the lady happy while I still get my camp on ;P

Anywany, just weird this was the first topic after watching that...damn movie was good and then pissed me off, oh well.

As for 9-11 I was sleeping on a "sick" day from senior year.

stormlord
07-14-2010, 03:46 AM
I was getting ready for work. It was morning. I usually flipped on the tv for a few min to see the news. I had to be careful because 10 minutes could pass by in a flash and I didn't want to be late for work. On that morning, it was 9/11. All day at work it felt like I was in the twilight zone. I remember the first break I was in the washroom #2 sitting on a bench listening to the radio announcer discuss the days events. One of the security people walked in and saw me there and I told him I was on break. He heard the radio, didn't make any comment.

Was a weird day. Was hard to keep a cool head and be normal.

Gadzooks
07-14-2010, 03:57 AM
I was stationed at a small base about 30 min from the Pentagon and was getting ready for work listening to the Howard Stern Show when it happened.

mitic
07-14-2010, 05:12 AM
lol @ this thread

Sirbanmelotz
07-14-2010, 05:28 AM
9/11 Was a conspiracy planned by ex pres. Bush. many New Yorkers claim to have seen missiles hitting the buildings. Youtube that shit

nicemace
07-14-2010, 06:39 AM
9/11 Was a conspiracy planned by ex pres. Bush. many New Yorkers claim to have seen missiles hitting the buildings. Youtube that shit

danethor_sol_ro
07-14-2010, 07:01 AM
i was in a big electronics market and was thinking to myself why all the idiots were staring at the tv screens when the 2nd plan hit

Abraham1
07-14-2010, 07:07 AM
I was in a parachute, jumping out the cockpit before we hit!!!

Nocte
07-14-2010, 07:08 AM
Many New Yorkers claim to have seen missiles hitting the buildings. Youtube that shit

Many New Yorkers can't tell the difference between a missile and a 747.

Mmohunter
07-14-2010, 11:50 AM
I live in New York. People here are retarded. You could tell them anything and they'll believe it.

guineapig
07-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Many New Yorkers can't tell the difference between a missile and a 747.

Considering that New Yorkers see planes in the sky roughly every minute or two, I have to disagree with you.

I live in New York. People here are retarded. You could tell them anything and they'll believe it.

I too live in New York and I find most people to be jaded and skeptical about most things... I guess it depends on the type of people you are around though. Gotta love these generalizations.

Stickyfingers
07-14-2010, 12:37 PM
6th grade, 11 years old. They didn't tell us anything at school the whole day, then we got a letter at the end of the day. I didn't really care at the time, I just went and played EQ lol.

Rogean
07-14-2010, 12:55 PM
I was at school, inbetween classes walking through the halls, one kid came down the hall yelling "The pentagon is on fire!". I shrugged it off cause he was a wacko like that anyways. Got into my next class and the teacher had the TV on, we watched it for 10 minutes until he turned it off, talked about it for a few more minutes, then school stuff resumed as normal.

Itchybottom
07-14-2010, 12:58 PM
I was chatting with some chick in New Zealand on IRC trying to convince her to send me candy (Jaffas are good stuff, man) and she told me that the BBC is reporting there was a plane that just hit a tower. I flipped the channels around (Orange County - Cox cable) and couldn't find anything on it at the time it was mentioned. Five, maybe ten minutes later, it's all that's on TV. Found that a little weird that BBC caught it before west coast news television. Didn't get any candy shipped to me either. Overall, bummer of a day.

frefaln
07-14-2010, 01:07 PM
I gotta tell ya, I'm a little disturbed at how many people are saying middle/high school resumed normally after so many minutes. Like I said above, I was at work on Federal property and there was nothing that was going to keep me there. For all I knew there were 30 more planes that were going to crash into God-knows-what, so I wanted to get home and connect with my family ASAP. It seems odd to me that schools would try to gloss over it and not get those kids home to their families pronto.

mitic
07-14-2010, 02:52 PM
I gotta tell ya, I'm a little disturbed at how many people are saying middle/high school resumed normally after so many minutes.

uhm, whats so disturbing about it?

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/Bush_Pershing_class01_6x5.jpg

frefaln
07-14-2010, 03:12 PM
LOL, touché. BTW, have you seen the History Channel 9/11 specials where they show those minutes of GWB in the school? I'm not going to get political, I'll just say that it was surreal to see his reaction. What do you do when a class full of kids are waiting for you to start reading while apocalyptic images are running through your mind?

Ossigor
07-14-2010, 03:31 PM
I was at North freeport bank

PhelanKA
07-14-2010, 04:08 PM
I gotta tell ya, I'm a little disturbed at how many people are saying middle/high school resumed normally after so many minutes. Like I said above, I was at work on Federal property and there was nothing that was going to keep me there. For all I knew there were 30 more planes that were going to crash into God-knows-what, so I wanted to get home and connect with my family ASAP. It seems odd to me that schools would try to gloss over it and not get those kids home to their families pronto.

I hear ya.

I was sent home from work that day shortly after I arrived and I live in Indiana (nowhere near New York).

OngorDrakan
07-14-2010, 04:50 PM
I was at school, inbetween classes walking through the halls, one kid came down the hall yelling "The pentagon is on fire!". I shrugged it off cause he was a wacko like that anyways. Got into my next class and the teacher had the TV on, we watched it for 10 minutes until he turned it off, talked about it for a few more minutes, then school stuff resumed as normal.

I don't get why people were just like, talk talk talk, ok done turn it off. This is history, this is nuts, this is an attack on America. A country what's made up of all types, even those types. *sigh*

azeth
07-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Science class in Highscool, Mr Tarsi - "2 planes crashed into the WTC, we're having a moment of silence at suchandsuch time"

Then, Physics class.

bout all that happened.

maya
07-14-2010, 04:58 PM
was in drum line practice.

our instructor said "we're under attack. the US is under attack!

ok, now don't rush that 3rd measure..." and i'm like wtf.

Ethanblack
07-14-2010, 07:00 PM
I was 11 at the time.
I just came home from secondary school (that's high school to the Americans), and my Mother was sitting on the sofa, kinda riveted on the TV.

I saw a replay of a plane hitting a tower and I said; "Hey, what film are you watching?"
Because never in a million years would you expect that to be real.

And then the second plane hit, and I watched it live.
I watched the collapses, and I was like... Oh dear god.

And then I was upset, and I wrote a short poem about humanity.

In a few weeks the thought of it was gone from my head though, because while very sad, for the rest of us; Life still goes on.

Senadin
07-14-2010, 09:05 PM
I am Canadian and was in the US at the time.

I was on vacation and was camping, After i woke up, was sitting outside the tent making breakie, Camp attendant told me that a plane just had crashed into the tower. I was like.... yeah sure budy.... if it is a joke it's a poor taste one. Guy didnt reply and made a face...

I jumped on my bike and drove to the town i was in and at this small mom and pop store, folks were glued to the TV watching the news... folks were crying and such. It was quite sad, later that day, folks were saying the borders were closed. All in all, pretty sad situation and years later... some of the folks supposedly responsible or involved are dead, yet the job sort of speak is still on going and not resolved. It makes me think about the will of the US govt, and in a way also the will of the US population to see things thru and support it or not.

I mean, sure things are supposed to be safer but there's been other incidents since then and unfortunately there will "probably" be more =(

frefaln
07-14-2010, 09:15 PM
years later... some of the folks supposedly responsible or involved are dead, yet the job sort of speak is still on going and not resolved. It makes me think about the will of the US govt, and in a way also the will of the US population to see things thru and support it or not.

Well said and as an American I have to agree. Your quote reminded me of how unified this country was during the madness and chaos of 9/11, but even then I sensed that the unity was temporary. Sure enough, it was. We're quite the divided nation these days and there's little reason to believe that'll change anytime soon.

quellren
07-20-2010, 11:14 AM
I was getting in some Ancient Croc farming before class when my roommate got a phone call and came unglued. Flipped on the TV and about 15 seconds later, the 2nd plane hit the tower.
I skipped class that day (college) and watched the news.

....While playing EQ. :D

Edit: I re-read my post 12 hours later and realize it sounds flippant. I watched the 2nd plane hit, and both towers fall. It affected me so profoundly I enlisted 'delayed-entry' in the Army, finished that semester and spent 10 years on Active duty, including multiple tours to the middle east as a combat medic.

hateshadow
07-20-2010, 07:20 PM
My mom just picked me up from school to go to the dentist, then we heard about it on the car radio.

Elissa
07-20-2010, 07:31 PM
I was at work at a call center, typically fielding about 100+ calls a day in a 7.5 hour shift. It was, as usual, quite busy during the morning and then suddenly it was like our systems stopped working, calls simply stopped coming in. Not a single one. We were all wondering what was going on (we weren't allowed to browse the internet while taking calls). Then someone from the break room came over and yelled that some crazy shit was happening. A bunch of other reps went over to watch on the break room TV, but my supervisor turned the one on his desk on and we watched from there. Not a single call came in the entire rest of the day. Was pretty surreal.

fuji
07-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Whenever I think that 9/11 was over blown and is starting to be forgotten I watch this to remind me of what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIq75vL-Cew