PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone be interested in a texture pack?

thugcruncher
08-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Today I've been messing around with ripping models and textures from the game, and it appears to be really easy to change textures. I did a quick test. 512x512 texture (about 5 minutes work):

http://i.imgur.com/I4G8NAd.jpg

Since like no texture in classic eq is this big, it made my gpu fan turn on, so it's logical to assume a lo-fi texture pack would make things even faster.

I don't have the time or inclination to redo all the textures in game in an effort to make them prettier or high def (plus this was already done in luclin), but remaking them in a pixel/lofi aesthetic could be fun, interesting, and not that time consuming...

this user was banned
08-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Make a nyan cat version of Norrath and I'd consider paying for it.

idontbuff
08-14-2013, 01:33 PM
shits not classic

Numbers_
08-14-2013, 02:37 PM
I've always wondered why no one has done this and what you got so far looks cool.

I think the cell-shaded texture style would work great on a game like this (outdated graphics).

khanable
08-14-2013, 02:41 PM
I had thought about this idea

You could probably just batch script it -- extra all the textures, apply cel-shade-esqe filter, repackage

I'd definitely give that shit a shot

myriverse
08-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Well, it fits the unreal classic style.

Khaleesi
08-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Today I've been messing around with ripping models and textures from the game, and it appears to be really easy to change textures. I did a quick test. 512x512 texture (about 5 minutes work):

http://i.imgur.com/I4G8NAd.jpg

Since like no texture in classic eq is this big, it made my gpu fan turn on, so it's logical to assume a lo-fi texture pack would make things even faster.

I don't have the time or inclination to redo all the textures in game in an effort to make them prettier or high def (plus this was already done in luclin), but remaking them in a pixel/lofi aesthetic could be fun, interesting, and not that time consuming...

Part of walking down the EQ memory lane is the graphics. The hi res versions only make it less horrible to look at, however the overall art and dated-ness are still prevalent.
Besides, EQ Next is cartoon enough ; I'd like to have one EQ game going forwards with graphics, not backwards.

thugcruncher
08-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Part of walking down the EQ memory lane is the graphics. The hi res versions only make it less horrible to look at, however the overall art and dated-ness are still prevalent.
Besides, EQ Next is cartoon enough ; I'd like to have one EQ game going forwards with graphics, not backwards.

It's amazing to me that you edited this, and I still don't really understand what you're saying.

webrunner5
08-14-2013, 05:21 PM
There is always some dumb ass that thinks they are still 13 years old living in their Moms basement or "IS" 13 years old living in their Moms basement on here.

Grow the hell up!!! Oh, but its "CLASSIC". Get a F'ing life. We, including me, are playing a F'ing kids game when most of you were a kid and getting our pantyhose all in a uproar. Get OVER it. Step back and see the REAL world. This game does not mount to a pimple on a dog's ass in the long run in life. Get a grip. Get a real life, a real job, and become a real member of society.

I am old, retired, and it doesn't make a crap for me. But it does for you. Grow up people. Move on. Nilbog has created a new "drug" and guess what you have thrown you life, marriage, school under the bus to play it. It's ONLY a GAME.

idontbuff
08-14-2013, 05:32 PM
There is always some dumb ass that thinks they are still 13 years old living in their Moms basement or IS 13 years old living in their Moms basement on here.

Grow the hell up!!! Oh, but its "CLASSIC". Get a F'ing life.

Did someone say Classic?

Handpartytowel
08-14-2013, 05:43 PM
i think a teamfortress2 style texture mod would be tight

idontbuff
08-14-2013, 05:45 PM
i think a teamfortress2 style texture mod would be tight

Yeah we just need more hats, and some really outrageous colors.

Champion_Standing
08-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Going for dumbest poll options of the year award here I see. Good work.

webrunner5
08-14-2013, 06:55 PM
I agree.

webrunner5
08-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Did someone say Classic?

I guess you just proved my point!! :eek:

Zeonick
08-15-2013, 12:14 AM
There is always some dumb ass that thinks they are still 13 years old living in their Moms basement or "IS" 13 years old living in their Moms basement on here.

Grow the hell up!!! Oh, but its "CLASSIC". Get a F'ing life. We, including me, are playing a F'ing kids game when most of you were a kid and getting our pantyhose all in a uproar. Get OVER it. Step back and see the REAL world. This game does not mount to a pimple on a dog's ass in the long run in life. Get a grip. Get a real life, a real job, and become a real member of society.

I am old, retired, and it doesn't make a crap for me. But it does for you. Grow up people. Move on. Nilbog has created a new "drug" and guess what you have thrown you life, marriage, school under the bus to play it. It's ONLY a GAME.

I feel like this kind of came out of no where man.

Zuranthium
08-15-2013, 12:37 AM
This webrunner guy has some of the most consistently terrible posts on the forum.

"Get a real life, a real job, and become a real member of society."

So if people were making money doing this, as many professional gamers and game creators do, then it would be OK to you. Real life is all about money, after all.

Porz
08-15-2013, 12:43 AM

uhhhh whut? umadbro?

Leddy
08-15-2013, 12:48 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m61wzbwJpC1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

thugcruncher
08-15-2013, 02:00 AM

I like to keep it fresh.

webrunner5
08-15-2013, 09:10 AM
This webrunner guy has some of the most consistently terrible posts on the forum.

"Get a real life, a real job, and become a real member of society."

So if people were making money doing this, as many professional gamers and game creators do, then it would be OK to you. Real life is all about money, after all.

Well I sort of say the same thing on here over and over because it seems like there is a bunch of crying, whining, girlymen on here that DO NEED to grow up. Piss on them.

The OP was just trying to give people maybe a option to see graphics in a different way. OH THAT SHITS NOT CLASSIC. Fall the hell over dead. :D

Acrux Bcrux
08-15-2013, 09:45 AM
shits not classic

idontbuff
08-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Well I sort of say the same thing on here over and over because it seems like there is a bunch of crying, whining, girlymen on here that DO NEED to grow up. Piss on them.

The OP was just trying to give people maybe a option to see graphics in a different way. OH THAT SHITS NOT CLASSIC. Fall the hell over dead. :D

Or you have a small sense for sarcasm. You're taking something that wasn't even serious and turning it above and beyond serious.

Fenith
08-15-2013, 03:15 PM
To each their own however I like the classic look. YMMV :D

Dullah
08-15-2013, 03:19 PM
I think this would be a cool idea.

I never really understood why someone didn't take the old models and textures and just spruce them up, yet preserving the look and art style. I've abhorred every revision to EQ models SOE has produced. Don't understand how the art side works though, so its probably tedious. I did see someone started to do the character models, but they were very minimal adjustments. Don't think they ever finished it.

I'd be down for changing my textures just for fun at this point. I, for one know what made Everquest great, and it was never the graphics. The mechanics made the game great, and its only nostalgia that makes the graphics tolerable 14 years later.

Nysus
08-15-2013, 06:49 PM
I think this would be a cool idea.

I never really understood why someone didn't take the old models and textures and just spruce them up, yet preserving the look and art style.

Character Texture Update (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116564)