PDA

View Full Version : Best duo

nagus69
08-15-2013, 01:37 AM
Starting with a friend - what is the best class combo?
How about racial penalties? Was thinking maybe Troll Shaman as it very versatile + nice base stats and regen.

Do wars hold agro back then? I recon being a duo, the def disc is very good to have.

Thanks!

mtb tripper
08-15-2013, 01:40 AM
monk shaman

nagus69
08-15-2013, 01:47 AM
Thanks - do Monks tank well enough though?

Any recommondation for race?

Is the Snare Necklace live that followers of Innoruk could do on live?

mtb tripper
08-15-2013, 01:50 AM
I would go iksar monk, iksar shaman, so yall start out same place. yes monks tank well enough with a shammy

citizen1080
08-15-2013, 01:56 AM
monk/sham

Chanter/cleric

Those are your winning combos

My iksar shaman and a iksar monk locked down KC basement as a duo the other night...with no issues. It is a very powerful Duo.

My enchanter duo's with a cleric on a regular basis and its as good or better.

Langrisser
08-15-2013, 02:02 AM
enchanter druid, everyone does monk shaman... fuck that

Langrisser
08-15-2013, 02:03 AM
Thanks - do Monks tank well enough though?

Any recommondation for race?

Is the Snare Necklace live that followers of Innoruk could do on live?

monk wont be getting hit, and if he does, the shaman is going to buff heal and a little something called SLOW.

enchanter druid is fucking tits. Clarity, SoW, Ports, two kinds of fear/charm, i could go on and on.

for some reason, people just dont get how much more room for activities you will have.

mtb tripper
08-15-2013, 02:10 AM
yes believe me you and your buddy will enjoy monk/shm duo. kick ass in pvp too, yes by the way come to pvp server and start up

nagus69
08-15-2013, 02:28 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Since we plan on going to dungeons, i think the Druid/Enc combo is not really good is it? Sure, outdoors it would kick some major ass.

Cle/Enc is great, but not sure about dungeons here either. So Monk/Shaman is what i had in mind anyways but my partner wanted to play a warrior;) Makes no sense imo, maybe you guys have some more arguments against warriors hehe.

How about the racial points? Iksar shaman cannot use JBB can he? Or any JB armor for that matter. Isn't that kinda bad? :)

Motec
08-15-2013, 02:43 AM
Enc/cleric will get further into any dungeon than any other combo in the game reliably.

But XP rate is arse because of pet XP nerf.

nagus69
08-15-2013, 02:54 AM
Ah totally forgot about that one, too. So pet will eat like 50% of exp if it does the majority of DPS (which it obivously will do every time).

Just found this http://wiki.project1999.org/Classes - very useful info here.

Problem with Iksar Mnk/Shm route that i can see is - can't wear plate, can't wear JB, KoS everywhere, even in Evil Towns and Exp penalty due to Troll like regen. Is this all offset somehow?

What do people think about Shm/SK ? Slower DPS obviously but you get a 2nd pet, FD pulling too, snare, way superior agro control and can even fear kite outdoors. Wishful thinking? :)

Naena
08-15-2013, 03:01 AM
I may be wrong, but I thought when grouped the pet doesn't eat your exp even if you don't out damage it. I remember seeing somewhere that it only takes the exp if you don't out damage it and are also soloing.

citizen1080
08-15-2013, 03:02 AM
The pet xp nerf doesn't hit charmed pets if I understand correctly..so that will not effect cleric/chanter duo.

Iksar are a little gimp in kunark..they are king in velious imo tho due to the all/all armor. Tho many will argue ogre is better. But play whatever race you want....you gotta stare at its ugly ass for 60 lvls.

sham/sk is solid..but the slow xp will hurt big time. And iksar/sk slowest class/race in game...you will crawl to 60

nagus69
08-15-2013, 03:20 AM
Oh yea, just checked the wiki, Iksar/Troll Sk is -68% exp. Oh man, crawling is fast compared to that :)

citizen1080
08-15-2013, 03:27 AM
Yea...that's not something anyone sane wants to deal with.

Zuranthium
08-15-2013, 03:37 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Since we plan on going to dungeons, i think the Druid/Enc combo is not really good is it? Sure, outdoors it would kick some major ass.

Enchanter and Druid is perfectly fine for dungeons, pre-Velious. The Druid provides spot healing and extra root for when Charm breaks. Cleric or Shaman is better at the highest levels, in terms of raw power, but then you're losing teleports. You really have to factor in how much time the teleports will save you over the course of playing. If you want to play the game as just a duo, and have incredible freedom, then I strongly feel Enchanter and Druid is the best way to go.

Hailto
08-15-2013, 03:58 AM
Enc/shaman will get further into any dungeon than any other combo in the game reliably.

But XP rate is arse because of pet XP nerf.

FTFY

nagus69
08-15-2013, 04:17 AM
Why is shaman better than cleric or druid in terms of enc combo?

Enc already has a very good slow and magic debuff (enc/cle nukes are magic only) and cleric obviously heals better and has the same crappy root the shaman does.

citizen1080
08-15-2013, 04:25 AM
I didn't see anyone recommend chanter/shaman.

Its not a bad combo..but your asking for best. You are correct....they overlap quit a bit

sham/monk

chanter/cleric

nagus69
08-15-2013, 04:27 AM
Hailto quoted and changed from enc/cle to enc shm ;)

citizen1080
08-15-2013, 04:29 AM
ahh very tricksy

Spacebar
08-15-2013, 04:29 AM
Shaman and chanter debuff stacks, i believe. So that is great for preventing charm breaks. Also, on top of the fact that shaman slows are better, it is also nice so that chanters aren't spending extra mana on it.

That being said, I think that all the healer combos with a chanter are great. I think druids are the one combo that people don't really consider just how good it is. The fact that druid snares last so much longer than chanter charms makes recharming very low-risk. On top of that, having low-risk, double charms (if you can find an animal) is some massive damage output. Additionally, druids can pop a nice DS on whatever pet is tanking and then you can just not worry about recharming and kill the tank pet + whatever ur fighting ,then find something else to charm/rinse/repeat. All of that is on top of porting, and the other good synergies that come along with druid/chanter combos.

Don't get me wrong, I like all of the healer combos with a chanter, but I feel that people often neglect how versatile and outright fun the chanter + druid can be.

Also, my favorite combo is shaman + monk. There is no way you would regret that combo ,I can guarantee that.

Zuranthium
08-15-2013, 04:32 AM
Shaman has more mana than a Druid (WAY more at the highest levels) and an extra resist debuff to make Charm more reliable.

But here's how I look at it - you're never going to get the best gear in the game anyway if you only duo. Playing duo is about how quickly you can get to Level 60 and how much you can enjoy the game as just a duo. You'll get to Level 60 perfectly quickly as Enchanter + Druid and that combo gives you the most flexibility to go wherever you want in the game World, whenever you feel like it.

nagus69
08-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Yea i believe Dru/Enc is a very strong and versatile combo.

You basically have everything you need, from SoW to Snare to Ports, Heals, Regen, DS, Crack, Slow, Haste, Charm, Mez etc etc. Even fear kiting is possible.

Shaman and Monk would be the alternate route, traditional tank and heal setup.

Anyone else has some input?

Spacebar
08-15-2013, 04:46 AM
Just a side note to consider. Most people seem to agree that shaman and monk epics are along the easiest to do. I'm a fairly casual player and I managed to get my monk epic. Chances are you'll be spending the better part of your mid-30's to early 50's in City of Mist, where the shaman will easily get some what he needs for his epic done. And both of their epics are pretty effing badass.

Another thing about Druids/Chanters is evac. This can save you a lot of corpse runs if things do go bad. Of course, having a cleric is always nice for the rez. Shaman, well, ...just try not to die.

webrunner5
08-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Yea i believe Dru/Enc is a very strong and versatile combo. Even fear kiting is possible.

Shaman and Monk would be the alternate route, traditional tank and heal setup.

Fear kiting is a pretty awesome, fast, safe way for XP. If they both can charm wow, really fast XP. And the Druid DS is no slouch either. And they have some pretty damn good DD's, Dots, and AOE's. It is better combo than a lot of people think. Druid heals are not that bad with Mind Candy.

If the Monk is a Iksar with the regen and has a fast haste item or epic, and a Fungi grab your ass. Non stop XP. Mend help a ton on them.

Like Bob said, just about as good as it gets.

Langrisser
08-15-2013, 09:12 AM
glad you're all seeing it my way.. so many naysayers when i brought it up before. warms my heart. dru/enc ftw.

thugcruncher
08-15-2013, 09:17 AM
another vote for enchanter druid, probably some of the best leveling up you can do without a single plat for gear n'twinks

quido
08-15-2013, 09:22 AM
I believe pet XP penalty does affect charmed pets, just a lot of chanters don't bother with the finesse of breaking/etc due to it being pretty powerful and fast anyways.

Acrux Bcrux
08-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Once bards have snare and fear they can tear some shit up fear kiting pretty well with a rogue, or almost any class that can pump some decent damage. Bard and Rogue, Monk, Mage, Necro, Ench. You catch my drift right?

Edit: Bard Bard is mean too with some low hp aoe kiting, but that just turns up shitty high level bards that have no idea how to actually play the class in a group. Seen way too many of those around.

Motec
08-15-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm 99% sure it does.

As normal with these threads, I'll vote cleric/monk. Unbeatable synergy pre 50, and absolute backbone of any group.

Cleric/Monk has every efficiency of shaman/monk through both far more efficient healing, and far more efficient mend.

Shaman/Monk instead tends to shine in the low 50's onwards. Which is fine, but also severely restricts your loot camps and grouping ease. It's far easier to find slows and haste (sham/enc/bard), than it is to find a cleric for you to go deep dungeon fun.

So if I had my pick I routinely examine both the ability to play duo together with efficiency, which sham or cleric both have; and the ability to pick up just about anyone else to become a solid group base. Which the cleric brings. Cleric also brings bargaining power for group entry into better spots, plenty of coin from rezzing if you're the kind that accepts plat.

The monk also ends up with his own spell haste, so part of the shaman's attraction is negated there too in the low 50's onwards anyway.

I think the shaman/monk duo really shines above cleric/monk in the 55+ grind if you absolutely want to play alone as a duo. But at those levels you'll more easily form a group to get better xp, have more fun, have more variety and more loot from having a cleric.

That's my pick, after having levelled monks in the past with both shamans and clerics, and levelled clerics with monk partners, and 2boxing a monk/cle on mac. A well played shaman will ALWAYS be better than a shit cleric, and vice versa though.

Adorable
08-15-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm nagus' friend, the other part of the duo. Thanks a lot for all the advice. I picked a monk. :)

Motec
08-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Enjoy, if you see me online (in a week or so) on Motec give me a hollar and I'll sort you out with some HP rings or something.

Adorable
08-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Enjoy, if you see me online (in a week or so) on Motec give me a hollar and I'll sort you out with some HP rings or something.

Thank you! I'm starting on the leveling now, really excited to be back to Norrath. <3