PDA

View Full Version : Old-school, but new blood - seekin' friendly folk!

Rainin
08-17-2013, 02:25 AM
Hey folks!

I have to tell you, after so long away and seeing all the other games out there, it's good to be back and moreso to have such an active group of folks invested in legacy content like this!

I was a veteran of Quellious back in the day (Original up through GoD), and after which tried to find the same experiences in other games: WoW, GuildWars, SWG. None of them had the sort of social dynamic that EQ had created, though they tried.

Enough nostalgia, though - Just having joined, I'm looking to get started! I originally played a rogue but, given that rogues are very much gear dependent and rely almost solely on having a group dynamic going, I'm wanting to branch out.

The first thoughts was either starting up a fairly boss solo class to attain self-sufficiency, or pair up with someone to administer duo-asskickery across the plains.

Tl;dr newbro to p99, oldbro to EQ - seeks good times, likeminded people. Possible duo opportunity. Likes : Free ports, bacon, and tits.

Ajkuhuun
08-17-2013, 02:34 AM
Free ports, bacon, and tits.

You had me at bacon, followed closely by tits.

Naena and I just started here as well, same deal, old-school but new to the server, tried everything under the sun and just couldn't recapture that same feeling EQ had, now we're loving it here and asking ourselves why the hell we didn't do this earlier. We're having the most fun we've had in any MMO in easily 5-6 years, maybe a few more.

Look up Ajkuhuun or Naena in game, maybe we can group up at some point.

Rainin
08-17-2013, 04:17 AM
Score, that'd be awesome. :)

I'm still up in the air on what it is I'd want to be. Or..what's really needed, actually. I suppose I should browse the forums a bit. I know there's going to be a lot of folks saying 'play what's fun for you' but while that has a certain appeal, being wanted/needed in a group is equally awesome.

Tasslehofp99
08-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Score, that'd be awesome. :)

I'm still up in the air on what it is I'd want to be. Or..what's really needed, actually. I suppose I should browse the forums a bit. I know there's going to be a lot of folks saying 'play what's fun for you' but while that has a certain appeal, being wanted/needed in a group is equally awesome.

Pick the class you really want to play and you won't be sorry, most times anyway.

sulpher01
08-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Pick the class you really want to play and you won't be sorry, most times anyway.

Unless that class is a paladin...

Rainin
08-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Yeah I've heard paladins are kind of ... ass. I'm actually thinking of an Iksar Shadowknight because I love the lore behind the Iksar to begin with, and the Greenmist blade is sexy. I realize that the GM blade is a ways off, but still. :P

citizen1080
08-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Unless that class is a paladin...

or a ranger...

As for iksar shadow knight. Awesome class...had one on live and was 6th or 7th to get Greenmist world wide.

However comma

You are going to crawl towards 60. Worst class/race penalty in game, 68% I think?

Mid Velious the class penalty's are removed. You may want to put the sk on a back burner till then unless you really love to grind.

Relbaic
08-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Yea I recently made an Iksar SK and the leveling is slowwwwwww but I'm definitely enjoying the race/class combo, and Greenmist (although not available until Velious) is definitely something to look forward to. As others have said though, go with that feels good, and it feels good just to be back and playing after such a long hiatus!

XP penalty is 68%, and is the worst in the game.

Rainin
08-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I know the penalty is pretty harsh.

I just want to change things up and provide a bit of utility to a group/raid. I remember SK's being retardagood tanks thanks to snap aggro management, though shamans are right up there with their ability to provide for a group.

So, I think at least until velious comes out, I might be stuck between the thoughts of a Wizard or a Shaman. Hmm. :\

citizen1080
08-17-2013, 05:20 PM
I love my shaman personally...one of or the best solo class in game. I believe a shaman is leading the solo challenge here. And also a cornerstone of a good group. They are a little weak till 34 and first pet but after that you are pretty much set. Downside is shaman is the most popular class on server atm I think according to recent demographics. Might have been druid or monk tho.

Also shaman epic is a cakewalk

Wizard is the one class I have never played. But, they can quad later on for decent solo xp. But not really sought after in groups from what I have seen.

Wizard epic wont happen till mid velious unless you join TMO

Rainin
08-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Yeah I might roll a shaman.

Is there any sort of difference between Iksar and Troll besides the obvious not able to wear plate armor (sadface no JBB) and essentially being hated by everyone? From what I recall they both have sick starting areas.

happyhappy
08-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Not being a troll is a pretty huge perk!

citizen1080
08-17-2013, 05:48 PM
If you want a penis for a nose go for troll...otherwise go iksar as they are sexy as hell. I don't miss not having a jbb on my shaman.

Rainin
08-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Apparently it didn't show my first post about said shamans, then I made a double post about the same thing. My bad. :P

Rainin
08-17-2013, 06:26 PM
I suppose another worthwhile question would be gear considerations. It's been so long and I have so much of other game's knowledge floating around in my head that I haven't been able to think up any of the stuff that's easily attainable or groupable as far as gear. Any suggestions? I mean, I remember stuff like the Charred Guardian Shield (that was fairly ubiquitous) but have no idea of cost or how the economy is on the server.

I just know it would be nice to not start off completely naked. :P

citizen1080
08-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Look for Bob in game. Im sure I have something to help ya on your way

Rainin
08-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Really? Sweetness! Thanks :) I'll hop on here in a few.

And broker eh? Just taking a look at your post and whatnot, you remind me of a way less dickish version of a guy on our server famous for that kind of stuff (Tigerstyle). Or a merchant-monger from EVE. One of those. :P

Edit: Made an Iksar Shaman named Sslaith. See you folks in game. :D

citizen1080
08-17-2013, 10:49 PM
You're not online at all!

Rainin
08-17-2013, 10:59 PM
I know! I had to order some pizza! And fend my dog off long enough for me to eat it. :|

Rainin
08-18-2013, 02:05 AM
Woot! Thanks Bob. :) This'll be a good start!

a_desert_madman_01
08-18-2013, 02:21 AM
안녕하세요~ and welcome to p99. You've made a wise decision in joining the community. Enjoy your stay.