PDA

View Full Version : human monks in p99

demokatt
08-18-2013, 07:02 AM
Hi
Iam planning to return to norrath after 10 years and really want to explore old zones around Freeport like EC oasis karana and such. Iam planning on going as solo monk since I don't care much for collecting lots of stuff and IM not into spells atm. Is it better to go as human then since they don't kos and I plan doing outside kunark for the first 20 levels mostly for enjoying those zones. Or are iksars so much better that I should consider doing 10 levels FoB and then boat to EC?

Also can one level solo using only bare hands?
Are there human monk quests just like the ones in Cabilis?
Hope to see U out there thanks in advance

Motec
08-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Iksars are never better, period. Because they look gay.

In answer to questions:
Yes, but it's obviously slow, and your fists aren't magic weapons (to hit ghouls, wisps)
Yes, yes. Headbands, and Qeynos monks have sashes.
and I'm sure as a new player someone will hook you up with a weapon. Just dont go begging.

Welcome.

Estu
08-18-2013, 09:01 AM
You'll have a much easier time soloing as an iksar because of the regen and, to a lesser extent, the increased AC. You can also get some great weapons for very cheap once you save up some money, such as Master Wu's Trance Stick, which will greatly improve your solo capability. To save up some money, you can farm bone chips (5-10pp/stack), high quality bear skins (20pp/stack), and spiderling silks (20pp/stack). Field of Bone has the best place to get spiderling silks in the game inside one of its underground tombs. EC is good for bears. North Ro is good for bone chips.

Motec
08-18-2013, 09:58 AM
You'll level up faster around EC with a tunnel full of people to buff you.

Take advantage of established server.

Dragonmist
08-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Yea Play whatever race makes you happy!

arsenalpow
08-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Go human so you can reap the benefits of the gnoll fang quest in blackburrow. Also, tail=fail.

everyone knows this.

Colgate
08-18-2013, 05:13 PM
you are a literal retard if you make a human monk in kunark

demokatt
08-19-2013, 02:53 AM
Haven't decided yet but will probably go with an Iksar. The guards roaming around EC and WC, are they the same faction as Freeport guards, like you can kill orcs and get faction enough so they dont attack you?

Spacebar
08-19-2013, 04:06 AM
I'd say go with iksar. I have never liked any character on any game as much as I like my iksar monk. I'm not saying that humans don't have any advantages, but the regen and ac for iksars just fits so well with the class.

Foraging, the often overlooked iksar trait, has helped me in a number of situations. One example is when camping Raster (FFFUUUUuuuuuuu). Having foraging meant that I had some extra bag space for bandages/throwing weps and I didn't really have to bring a bunch of stacks of food (and anybody who has camped raster knows this is an entirely possible necessity).

Human monks are cool, too.

As far as enough faction killing orcs. Maybe, I didn't even realize it but on my DE chanter, I killed enough orcs to get my faction up without really trying. Might be a different story with iksar though. I don't really bother with faction on my monk since I can just FD and sneak (plus I think that adds some coolness to the game).

Vadd
08-19-2013, 01:26 PM
I believe Iksar are Scowling KoS everywhere.
NFP is Paladin/Cleric Guards, this is also where the Freeport bank is. Just a tip! You can FD/Sneak anyway though...

Zyn
08-19-2013, 01:30 PM
I like a human monk just for the looks.

...which is the same reason I'd play a DE SK and a Barb Shaman. Looks = everything :P

To be fair though, I rolled an Iksar Necro... because I wanted to try something I never thought of doing before. Quite happy with it though.

demokatt
08-20-2013, 03:37 AM
Thanks for all your answers. I will try an iksar, hope to see you around EC tunnel when I get levels enough to dare the trip ;)

Potus
08-20-2013, 04:12 AM
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1207/monkb.jpg

Look at that sexy velious armor

demokatt
08-20-2013, 04:49 AM
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1207/monkb.jpg

Look at that sexy velious armor

That Lizard armour sure is sexy!

Jeffari
08-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Haven't decided yet but will probably go with an Iksar. The guards roaming around EC and WC, are they the same faction as Freeport guards, like you can kill orcs and get faction enough so they dont attack you? No, the freeport guards in the commonlands, east and west freeport and north ro are all Freeport Militia, killing deathfist orcs (orcs of the commonlands) will get you +Ashen Order faction (Freeport monk guild) +Guardians of the Vale faction (Rivervale warrior/Rivervale guard faction) +Commonlands Residents faction (merchants of east and west commonlands) and +Knights of Truth (Freeport Paladins as well as the guards of North Freeport) Basically, if you kill deathfist orcs as an iksar, you can build up your faction with the knights of truth, who are the guards of north freeport, where the bank is located, and there are secret tunnels in the walls west freeport that can get you there, so you'll be able to bank in freeport at least. But building up Freeport Militia faction is kind of tough, also the Freeport Militia and Knights of Truth hate each other and are sort of at war with one another in a way for control over the city and usually building up faction with one side usually causes you to lower faction with the other. Like the death fist orc belts for example. There is a good version, and evil version of the quest, the good version you can turn in two deathfist slashed belts to the leader of the Steel Warriors in freeport and it will increase faction with Steel Warriors, Knights of Truth and Guards of Qeynos all increase, but Freeport Militia and Corrupt Qeynos Guards decreases. The evil version of the quest on the other hand requires you to turn in two orc deathfist slashed belts to Captain Hazran, The Captain of the guards/freeport Militia under lucan (although I am pretty sure Captain Hazran is way tougher than lucan, being a warrior trainer and all, hes basically the warrior trainer for evil aligned freeport residents) turning in two deathfist belts to Captain Hazran will give you +Freeport Militia faction, +Coalition of Tradefolk Underground (The rogue guild of freeport as well as any shady merchants) but lowers your faction with Knights of Truth and Priests of Marr (Freeport cleric guild)

demokatt
08-21-2013, 01:46 AM
Thank you for a very comprehensive description. I will definately work on North guards faction then because it seems most usable, and just stay out of/FD if Freeport Milita attacks me.