PDA

View Full Version : -shaman- I just hit 24! What can I do now?

Zeonick
08-20-2013, 12:18 AM
As the title says, I feel super powerful and awesome with my new dot, canni, and regen!! What should I try to do now? I'm curious about charm animal, can I hunt like druids and ench do? charm one thing and have it kill the other until they're both low, etc?

Is there any camp/area I should try to solo?

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

Potus
08-20-2013, 01:01 AM
Crocs in Oasis are pretty good to charm and send against each other. Have invis v. animal ready to break and kill both.

Also root rot becomes way better with E-Breath and being able to sit and canni dance while the mob dies.

Zeonick
08-20-2013, 01:14 AM
Doh I also just realized charm is at 29. Oh wells. I will have to wait on that! Am I able to solo mammoths at 24? i've heard it can be tough this early.

Berendar
08-20-2013, 04:23 AM
I've just gone from 24 to 29 very quickly at the Giant Fort in WW (also bagged 2 Forest Loops). I have a Poison Wind Censer though so that helped a lot. Start off on Greenwoods only and then add in some Evergreens as they turn blue. I just slowed, dotted and tanked.

OT zone is not far away either if things go pear-shaped.

Izor_01
08-20-2013, 07:47 AM
I have seen a lot of people mention the wind censor does it make that much of a difference?

My current wep is Harpoon of the depths which has been ok so far..

Also When i hit 24 i will be sure to try that spot out as it is nice to be able to stay close to Cabalis for my spells... my gear really isn't fantastic besides the Harpoon, i am wearing branded or whatever i was able to find on my journey do you think i will have trouble soloing there or does gear play a factor in being able to solo these mobs efficiently?

kaos057
08-20-2013, 08:11 AM
Am I able to solo mammoths at 24?

Yes

Estu
08-20-2013, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't recommend meleeing unless you have good gear.

Zeonick
08-20-2013, 12:27 PM
[TE=Berendar;1080955]I've just gone from 24 to 29 very quickly at the Giant Fort in WW (also bagged 2 Forest Loops). I have a Poison Wind Censer though so that helped a lot. Start off on Greenwoods only and then add in some Evergreens as they turn blue. I just slowed, dotted and tanked.

OT zone is not far away either if things go pear-shaped.[/QUOTE]

I need to try this spot out... So many people recommend it! I was able to solo one mammoth last night, it was db and with canni/regen it worked out pretty well. Then I could only find yellow ones after that, i tried one and it was going really well. Got it to 40% but then it resisted 3 roots in a row, then resisted my dot when it was rooted. I was at 45% hp and 40% mana so I pussy gated out :( maybe at 25/26 ill come back. I did get 4% xp from the db momma though!

I reeeeally wish I had a pwc. I cant afford it, and cant seem to sell any of my gear to afford it :( will I be able to do giants with a beetle stinger?

Zeonick
08-20-2013, 12:40 PM
How exactly do I get to WW? On wiki it says that loio is an adjacent zone but then doesn't show this anywhere on the map. If it is, I could just boat to FV, then go loio--> WW right? I really want to give this place a shot, maybe if I looted a couple forrest loops I could make enough plat to buy a pwc.

Berendar
08-20-2013, 01:10 PM
I was in a lot of pain at about 20 but the Censer did make a massive difference for reaching 24 easier (to me anyway).

I was in melee fine before that, it just took longer with more downtime. I did have a couple of 5 55 rings which obviously help but other than that mostly banded. I think melee is fine at these levels as Walking Sleep is pretty effective. I'm continuing to stand toe to toe.

As for giants. A decent damage/ratio weapon seems key but give it a go. As a good race you'll arrive at FV and travel through LOIO to WW. If soloing fails there are always a few people around to buff or group with.

Estu
08-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Anyone meleeing mobs should time how long it takes them to kill a monster and med/regen up to full again, versus root-dotting the same monster (time it from the moment you engage to the moment you're back up to your starting hp/mana with the monster dead). Unless you have great melee gear, the second one will be faster. Slowing and healing up from the HP you lose tanking is just generally not worth whatever piddly DPS you can bonk the monster for unless you have a great weapon and solid AC.

Zeonick
08-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Anyone meleeing mobs should time how long it takes them to kill a monster and med/regen up to full again, versus root-dotting the same monster (time it from the moment you engage to the moment you're back up to your starting hp/mana with the monster dead). Unless you have great melee gear, the second one will be faster. Slowing and healing up from the HP you lose tanking is just generally not worth whatever piddly DPS you can bonk the monster for unless you have a great weapon and solid AC.

Yeah I will give this a shot, my guess is the root rot will be faster. Thats what I did with the.db mammoth and it went down quick. Was about 25% of its hp per dot and at 20% it ran and i meleed it down - which took forever!

kaos057
08-20-2013, 05:03 PM
You should not be meleeing at all. Root, dot, run away, med. Root breaks... repeat. You should never run out of mana no matter what your gear is. If you melee you are wasting med time and hp.

Zeonick
08-21-2013, 03:06 AM
Making my way through the tunnels to actually get into the WW giant area. Pretty nerve wracking! I havent been here before but root/rotting is working really well! Just solo'd 2 dark blues that agrod me and feeling pretty good! I dunno if I could have done it as well without clarity but i'll get the hang of it i'm sure.

Zeonick
08-21-2013, 03:18 AM
I'm at the giant fort? But they seem to be a bit too high level for me.. Is there another area I should be at 25?

Berendar
08-21-2013, 04:34 AM
You should not be meleeing at all. Root, dot, run away, med. Root breaks... repeat. You should never run out of mana no matter what your gear is. If you melee you are wasting med time and hp.

I disagree, mostly because I don't hold in with this "you must only play one way attitude" but also, if you have a decent weapon, there is nothing wrong with smacking things in the face.

I just tried root/rotting some Evergreens. Taking into consideration that it takes 3 applications of my best DoT to get it to run, resists and root breaking early it didn't feel any better than me casting Quickness and whacking things. It works better on the Greenwoods of course but they are mostly light blue.

My advice is to find a way that suits you best depending on the situation you are in. For me at the moment tanking with slow + Quickness feels better (although I expect this to change as I get higher).

Zeonick
08-21-2013, 11:54 AM
I disagree, mostly because I don't hold in with this "you must only play one way attitude" but also, if you have a decent weapon, there is nothing wrong with smacking things in the face.

I just tried root/rotting some Evergreens. Taking into consideration that it takes 3 applications of my best DoT to get it to run, resists and root breaking early it didn't feel any better than me casting Quickness and whacking things. It works better on the Greenwoods of course but they are mostly light blue.

My advice is to find a way that suits you best depending on the situation you are in. For me at the moment tanking with slow + Quickness feels better (although I expect this to change as I get higher).

Yeah I've heard that at 34 your dots are a lot more efficient. I was noticing last night that my dot only does 3% per tick to the higher level giants... I was grouped at the time but that would take like 4-5 applications of my dot to kill one.

Estu
08-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Yeah I've heard that at 34 your dots are a lot more efficient. I was noticing last night that my dot only does 3% per tick to the higher level giants... I was grouped at the time but that would take like 4-5 applications of my dot to kill one.

DoT, singular? Are you not stacking poison and disease?

Berendar
08-21-2013, 01:03 PM

The disease DoT available to him does 6 damage a tick for 2 minutes. I haven't bothered with it. Takes far too much time.

Zeonick
08-21-2013, 01:47 PM

Well honestly I didn't know about stacking poison and disease! This is exciting! Haha. I am a shaman noob through and through so tips like this are awesome! True, it does only hit for 6 damage, but the giants are always left with 5-10% hp for me and I have to waste a nuke on them. One application of the disease dot should take care of that.

Also, should I be using the disease debuff spell? Does it make the dots tick Longer or anything? the description on wiki doesnt make any sense to me

Estu
08-21-2013, 01:49 PM
The disease DoT available to him does 6 damage a tick for 2 minutes. I haven't bothered with it. Takes far too much time.

Heh, when I was coming up, Affliction was bugged and did way more damage. Still, even 6/tick is worthwhile. The DPM is only slightly lower than Envenomed Breath and it's always nice to do extra DPS if it saves you a root.

Zeonick
08-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Heh, when I was coming up, Affliction was bugged and did way more damage. Still, even 6/tick is worthwhile. The DPM is only slightly lower than Envenomed Breath and it's always nice to do extra DPS if it saves you a root.

I did just notice that affliction takes 75 mana.. that's pretty steep. Over 10% mana for me, and E. breath is only 25 more. I may just stick to using a lower level nuke to take them down that last couple %. Maybe i'll experiment with both and see how it goes.

Zeonick
08-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Uuuuuuuuuuugh. Just tried to solo a white-conned evergreen. It resisted EVERYTHING! And my root last about 10 seconds max. Took a serious beating, and with giants everywhere I was forced to gate back to FV. Super bummed :(

Estu
08-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Uuuuuuuuuuugh. Just tried to solo a white-conned evergreen. It resisted EVERYTHING! And my root last about 10 seconds max. Took a serious beating, and with giants everywhere I was forced to gate back to FV. Super bummed :(

There's not really any reason to go after anything that's not a low dark blue con. You get way fewer resists, which means the best EXP flow.

Zeonick
08-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Yeah I don't know why I tried it. Bah!

Zeonick
08-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Just had to gate out again because I agrod 2, this is becoming less and less appealing heh. Im wondering if I should level on the iksars in the tunnel since im getting close to 26. I think I made about 20% exp just battling through those guys on my way to the giants.

Also, when I do hit 26 should I go and kill mammoths instead?

Another question, if I gate into the same zone will it drop my agro?

Thanks guys!

Estu
08-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Another question, if I gate into the same zone will it drop my agro?

90% sure the answer to this is 'no'. When you gate into the same zone there is no loading screen; you just pop up somewhere else. When you use an evac/succor-type druid or wizard spell that takes you elsewhere in the same zone, there is a loading screen, and you do lose all aggro. It's a strange distinction.

Sarius
08-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Kunark mobs are generally harder than old world mobs, go kill some birds at KFC. Go drop some guards or goblins in HH Keep and taste that sweet ZEM!

Zeonick
08-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Kunark mobs are generally harder than old world mobs, go kill some birds at KFC. Go drop some guards or goblins in HH Keep and taste that sweet ZEM!

Yeah man you do have a point. Kunark mobs are really tough.. The giants dont seem to be too hard but I dont really see the allure to killing them, besides maybe getting a forest loop. Mammoths seem to be about the same but each drop 10p worth of tusks.

One thing I need is a solid spawn that I can solo for some decent exp if I dont really have the time to get on and group. Sometimes I just hop on for 30 minutes hoping to grab a couple % towards my next level.

Am I high enough for HHK? That is one of my favorite zones. I used to kill thousands of guards there on my monk. What level can you start owning the guards?

Zeonick
08-21-2013, 06:25 PM
90% sure the answer to this is 'no'. When you gate into the same zone there is no loading screen; you just pop up somewhere else. When you use an evac/succor-type druid or wizard spell that takes you elsewhere in the same zone, there is a loading screen, and you do lose all aggro. It's a strange distinction.

Ah ok. I think im better off leaving my bind point in FV anyways, easier than fighting my way through the goblin tunnel. I hate those spell caster gobbys.

Sarius
08-21-2013, 07:14 PM
There are some guards that you can kill now for sure, and you can defiantly do the first floor goblins now.

Zeonick
08-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Oooo this is very tempting. I wont have any way to sell or bank though if I ruin my faction right? I forget how it works there..

Zeonick
08-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Just as an Update:

I went to ep to kill mammoths after hitting 26. It worked but not very well. They were all db, but some were only barely db because of this they resisted often and constantly broke root. I got about 60% into my level but decided to head to high keep instead.

I killed a couple guards and it was great exp and loot, but I realized I couldn't kill the guards at the entrance. So without invis I really have no way to get into the zone without dying if I go kos. So I guess I will just try to kill gobbies with a group to hit 27, then maybe head back to ep.