PDA

View Full Version : Troll Shammie with Snare Neck or Barb Shammie?

stefblac
07-14-2010, 09:55 AM
okay here's the thing: I have a troll shammy atm who is at a ripe old age of lvl 10. I am thinking of killing him in favour of making a barb instead. I originally decided on a troll because they could use the snare neck and get regen but I'm just thinking I much prefer barbs in terms of their looks/alignment etc. so I suppose my question is something like 'is a troll shammy significantly better at solo play than a barb?' I always tend to advise people to play what they most like as I know do many others, so should I just follow my own advice and make a barb or would I be better off sticking with my troll considering I will be soloing mostly? On paper they do seem to have a strong advantage

guineapig
07-14-2010, 10:52 AM
It's noticeable but not significant.

I guess if you plan on soloing to 50 then snare and extra regen are major reasons to stick with the troll. But if you just want to have fun, group with people and are not interested in being a min/max power gamer then there is nothing wrong with being a barbarian.

Skope
07-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Ultimately it depends on what you want to do and where you want to go when doing it...

May sound weird, but if you plan to solo some nasty stuff then i'd suggest an ogre for the frontal stun immunity. One stun can make the difference between sticking a torpor/slow in time or death.

Troll innate regen stacks with all other forms, including spells + worn regen. So the mana return via cannibalize is fantastic. The snare necklace is situational at best due to its long recast timer and short duration (1.30) it shouldn't sway you to pick a troll because of some overrated item. Trust me, there are far better items that shamans get and the snare necklace is towards the bottom of the list imo.

I picked a barb myself, purely based on looks. I frankly can't stand staring at ogres and trolls :P They get the shaft when it comes to racials, but because shamans are such a gear and skill dependent class when soloing that it isn't too big of a hindrance.

Another thing to keep in mind is that shamans are far better at duo / group situations then they are at solo, thus making friends is a great idea and that would subsequently throw everything i noted above out the window.

Jugthug42
07-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Snare necklace is only 36 seconds and about a 20% snare FYI. People hype it as a huge tool, and its not that big of a deal anyways since you already can outrun most mobs due to SoW.

Sigleaf
07-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Go with what you like the look of but Trolls in my opinion have the better advantage in both groups and solo because of natural regen/cannibalize combo. The faster your regen hp, the more you can cannibalize, the more your casting, but then again play what you like the difference in the end is small.

Lowlife
07-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Ogres can get a gay yalp necklace

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1210

I'd say Ogres would be superior in the long run, but trolls are sexier, and the gay snare necklace has a repeatable part of the quest where u get a 1 charge illusion halfling mask. that'd sell me on troll.

Barbs can get the Spiritist Hammer tho, which is badassery.

Noleafclover
07-14-2010, 09:30 PM
As has already been said, troll regen rocks. The snare necklace doesn't seem that great, idk why you'd snare kite instead of root-kiting, and neither does Barbarian Spiritist Hammer (I don't really get shammies who melee either, unless they're just screwin around).

But barbarian or ogre works too. Frontal stun immunity is comparable with troll, and if you like barb you like barb. It's not like you're a halfling warrior.

stefblac
07-14-2010, 10:15 PM
okay thanks for all the good replies guys. I thought perhaps the snare neck would have been somewhat more useful than has been made out. I'm not really keen on trolls or ogres for that matter so looks like I may end up creating a new barb!