PDA

View Full Version : Dev's Response

Paxton
07-14-2010, 06:12 PM
This is nilbog's response to the torch carrying mob that has been posting in the latest Patch Notes thread. I'm reposting it here because I believe it is important that it have more visibility.

Why is it assumed every change is made at the behest of the entire development team? This isn't your first set of patch notes. Have you noticed changes being made, then reverted? We do not work in a single room, and the development work submitted is volunteered.

Instead of asking if this was intentional, some of you went fucking crazy questioning our integrity, the vision of classic, etc etc. Ridiculous. You can say its your right as players, but in the end, you're just pissing us off by not giving the benefit of the doubt or presenting mature complaints.

I was interested in having these changes reverted.. and possibly doing it myself. Not now. I'll let DOACleric handle the guard situation *and* respond to you.

Over the past week or so, the bitching has gotten out of control all over the forums, and what you're going to get from it is forum moderators, and lost privileges of speaking directly with developers. I won't miss speaking to some of you. I'm gonna go develop Kunark, which is what I do the majority of each day, and you can enjoy automated responses.

This is where you're wrong. We don't need you; you need us. We could shut the server down, and develop it in private at no cost. I did that for a year and a half before any of you dissidents disgraced my lands. You realize that we get the same rewards of developing this without being criticized. We could finish it up, and open it when Velious is complete.

You're ruining your own lands.

Now, I've been a developer on a number of large and successful private projects in the past, mainly freeservers on Ultima Online, and I can relate to nilbog's sentiment. The people that post the kind of dribble that has shown up in this patch thread are indeed at risk of ruining this project for everyone.

I've seen and experienced this type of situation before. Every person on Earth has a tolerance level. The constant bitching and whining on these forums when things don't change the way we want as a playerbase needs to STOP. We are hindering our own leadership from doing their jobs. Even worse, we run the risk of diminishing their DESIRE and INTEREST in continuing to work on this project. Put yourself in their shoes and imagine being a developer here. You're not getting paid to do this. Do you honestly think coding for hours on end is fun and exciting work? Let me be the first to tell you, it's not. Trust me when I say that it is stressful, disheartening, and insulting to be constantly burned at the stake by your own playerbase, in your OWN SANDBOX. Would the kind of bullshit seen in the Patch notes make you want to rush home so you could grind code and test for hours? Didn't think so. It makes you want to give everyone a big "Fuck You", log off, and go drink a margarita.

Do you want Project 1999 to end? Do you want the development team to be less inclined to come home from their day jobs and code future content? Do you honestly want to hinder these individuals motivation? I think not.

The development team here had given us a gift. A gift of open communication with them. We fucked that up, and now it's gone. This community needs to take a step back as a collective and gain some perspective and appreciation for what has been provided to us, GIVEN to us, before we really screw ourselves.

In the future, think before you post. If you have something constructive to bring to the table about changes made to the server, post it! If you're just here to post because a change made just shit on your little goldmine and you're mad about it, do us all a favor, delete your account.

olderj
07-14-2010, 06:22 PM
I totally agree... and want to offer my support to the development staff. Know that there is a silent majority of players who never or seldom (myself) read these forums and we totally appreciate what you do. I could care less if x mob spawns less quickly or if i need to kill more monsters to get my next level. My friends and I are stoked that we can play this classic game again... and holy shit... it's free. Who could ask for anything more? Fantastic work, gentlemen. Thank you.

~ Huffle

Safon
07-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Amen. All you whiners can seriously just fuck. right. off.

Piss off and never bother this server again, i can only hope the devs choose to ignore you losers and remember those of us who appreciate everything they have done and continue to do.

Tudana
07-14-2010, 06:25 PM
/Bravo Niblog and Paxton
/signed

All Bitchers begone! dont ruin our lands!

Skope
07-14-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm inclined to agree and frankly am not surprised. It's gotten quite ugly on the forums and has seeped its way into the game, it seems. To boot, some of the player-base feels somehow entitled to near perfection and demands fixes and answers without contemplating that perhaps the devs are doing this out of kindness, choosing to soak up their free time and direct it to this endeavor, and not simply wasting their time to fulfill insatiable and vile hungers.

What I'm trying to say is...

Thank you :)

frefaln
07-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Nice post by Nilbog, even nicer post by Paxton and I can back it up 100%. I was a software engineer at Microsoft for more than 3 years and I completely empathize with the Devs. In my case there were team members all over the world (might be the case here too, I don't know), and let me tell you, when you're dealing with source check-ins from umpteen different time zones, some of which only had one line of changed code yet managed to break a whole damn build, it is an indescribable pain in the ass to reconcile and rectify these things.

And in my case, that was just for small-scale internal applications. I'm very certain that EQ server-side code isn't small-scale anything, and given how many times Live Devs used to admit that things weren't built to be scalable, I have no doubt that it's chock-full of spaghetti/patchwork code and an absolute mess to sift through.

When I play EQ, I'm usually successful at taking off the Dev cap and just enjoying it in my ignorant player bliss. And yes, it gets tempting to just say, "Why don't they tweak X or get rid of Y?" But I'm quickly jolted back into reality by own experiences and I know how even the smallest "X" or "Y" can have a ripple effect of mammoth proportions. And God knows I wouldn't want to be the Devs checking these forums where people seem to have very little courtesy or patience. I'd get very frustrated if I got paid, let alone did it on a volunteer basis.

In short, Nilbog and Paxton aren't talking out of their asses, folks. What they've achieved here really is something spectacular, so it would behoove us to become their biggest cheerleaders, fanbois, whatever term you want to use.

maya
07-14-2010, 06:30 PM
i don't mean any disrespect to developers by this comment, but the whining will continue. that's just the nature of this community. i wish it weren't so, but it is. there is a fair amount of cynical, angry, drama-loving people in the community and that's just not going to change. now if you nerf a cynical, angry, drama-loving person, how do you think they're gonna react? i understand nilbog has to deal with this element all the time and it gets tiring, but if you think this post is going to change human nature you're fooling yourself.

i hope that the developers can just ignore the worst of the community and keep moving their vision forward. most of us sincerely appreciate what you do guys.

Appaullo
07-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Agreed 110 percent. This is a FREE server with the Devs doing their work in their spare time. I know I would not want to come home after work to do the work they do on this server. Let alone to have to hear bitching about it anyways. Everyone came to this server for the classic feel of hard, grinding EQ with all the bumps and bruises included, then they bitch when they get it. Nilbog, the vast majority of us playing here DO appreciate all the hard work you Devs do. Please dont let a few whiners foul your mood, their just not worth it.

Again, Nilbog ... Thank you and all the Devs for doing this!

*EDIT* My "Agreed 110 percent" comment is for Nilbog and Paxton's posts.

mmiles8
07-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Misery loves company and these attitudes are toxic. I try to see some positive in anyone, but TBH, to be this selfish, this rude, and this rapacious, even I'd like to see them just go away and never come back.

Paxton
07-14-2010, 06:53 PM
i don't mean any disrespect to developers by this comment, but the whining will continue. that's just the nature of this community. i wish it weren't so, but it is. there is a fair amount of cynical, angry, drama-loving people in the community and that's just not going to change. now if you nerf a cynical, angry, drama-loving person, how do you think they're gonna react? i understand nilbog has to deal with this element all the time and it gets tiring, but if you think this post is going to change human nature you're fooling yourself.

i hope that the developers can just ignore the worst of the community and keep moving their vision forward. most of us sincerely appreciate what you do guys.

I don't expect miracles. Better one post to the positive then no post at all. That being said, things will be changing, re-read nilbog's post. No more direct dev access, thank god. It makes me feel better to know that, honestly.

Itchybottom
07-14-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm very certain that EQ server-side code isn't small-scale anything, and given how many times Live Devs used to admit that things weren't built to be scalable, I have no doubt that it's chock-full of spaghetti/patchwork code and an absolute mess to sift through.

Have a look yourself (http://code.google.com/p/projecteqemu/), it's not that large. It's certainly nothing like live [the server], aside from the fact that the server expects and sends opcodes from a closed source client, that was once from live. The only real pain with EQEMU is often the database work and discovering differences between client versions packet wise (opcodes -- even these aren't that difficult to decipher) I realize that p99 is running quite a bit of customized source code, but it's still not all that different, it's just different where it counts for classics sake.

Even the database has direct parallels with ProjectEQ (or Angelox's, which is based on ProjectEQ), you can literally use Maudigan's database PHP search tool to find out the spawn points on mobs, with respawn time in a lot of cases. It's definitely altered, but it's not unique. One great thing is NRO and the beetles not being all grouped together on a hill.

I love what they've done for the most part, but the community here seems oblivious to common sense. This whole "I'm taking my ball and going home" attitude from a few people, is not something that I generally see very often in open-source. Not since Image, devn00b and old EQEMU, anyway. It's just as bad as the users, to be honest. Saying that you could have left it closed until you were spawned until Velious is childish; the project would likely die without players to test it. Even still, with a small test group... People would go their separate ways after a year I guarantee it. Life can change a lot, when a hobby is sapping time from loved ones or life changes such as more hours at work happens. A lot of things in the database are left unaltered (mainly drops related to content that isn't in -- regeant pouches in Najena for example), for the 12 months of work the database had from... 12 people? I've talked to players in game that seem to think that the server was either stolen from Sony (and hence referencing ZAM for anything, about how the spawns work) or written from the ground up by Project1999. There would be even more bugs and buffer overflow issues with the server if that were the case.

Lets all just take a step back, appreciate the contributions from the devs, and community, and focus on the prize. Pre-Luclin adventure that might exceed even EQClassic's charter.

Tseng
07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
/agree with OP

Overcast
07-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Project 1999 is a free to play Emulated Everquest Server giving Players the opportunity to experience Classic EQ Once again, starting with the original 3 continents and a max level of 50, with the look and feel of the old interface and several modifications making game mechanics similar to how the game used to be.

Note it does in fact say *SIMILAR* - not identical.
No one ever said 'identical' or 'perfect'.

Just in general with the 'community' and the portion that whines a lot.. IF you expect *perfection* - only one thing can be guaranteed - you'll be disappointed.

I think they do a hell of a job, personally. I'm having a boat load of fun. If something gets 'adjusted' along the way, that's cool, a bit less healing or less XP from some mobs - cool, no point in being in a rush anyway.

Rushing in this game, kinda reminds me of those tools that floor the pedal just to hurry up and get to the next red light, lol.

h0tr0d (shaere)
07-14-2010, 08:13 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs056.snc3/14359_1256299258399_1557129695_1674265_148519_n.jp g

frefaln
07-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Note it does in fact say *SIMILAR* - not identical. No one ever said 'identical' or 'perfect'. . . .

I think they do a hell of a job, personally. I'm having a boat load of fun.

Indeed. Someone left a note on my site about a month ago asking if I'd heard of P99, and I admit it — I just rolled my eyes and said, "Okay, let's see what this flustercuck is all about." And I ate my words big time. I was stunned at how stable everything was and how much everything felt like "the real thing".

The game itself is so damn addicting that the problems which plagued Live might just repeat themselves. People will get so disillusioned with the rat-race that they might forget (again) that none of this was owed to us. I'm guilty of it too, so this thread was a nice reminder.

Volga
07-14-2010, 08:45 PM
/agree with OP.

We have a gift here and I appreciate it.

nicemace
07-14-2010, 09:26 PM
what will be will be, just go with the flow and be happy about it. no point whinging like a douche bag.

mad props to devs and everyone involved with this project.

Noleafclover
07-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Agree with the props and all. Kinda sad about no direct dev access (not that I blame them). Wish whiners would just get ignored, I've gotten some constructive info from dev posts.

Hasbinbad
07-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Thank you Paxton.. I tried to say the same thing in that fucking thread, but I was so mad at these people that I couldn't even see straight. I MEANT to say something like what you said, but it just came out: "FUCK YOU FUCKITTY FUCKING FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING FUCKS I OUGHTTA FUCKING FUCK YOU IN YOUR FUCKING FUCK YOU FUCK!!"

:P

scecie
07-14-2010, 10:12 PM
i don't mean any disrespect to developers by this comment, but the whining will continue. that's just the nature of this community. i wish it weren't so, but it is.

I think this is true. I hope you guys realize the appreciation the community at large has. We are here playing a game for free and realize that it is a gift for which you are under no obligation to cater to anyone for giving. The game rocks! The players I've adventured with rock! If someone isn't having a good time then go somewhere else! Time you spent leveling up an alternate identity does not entitle you to ownership of the game.

nilbog
07-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Thank you Paxton and everyone else supporting the project and staff.

Agree with the props and all. Kinda sad about no direct dev access (not that I blame them). Wish whiners would just get ignored, I've gotten some constructive info from dev posts.

You will continue to see responses and posts from Developers. There are many of you I enjoy responding to, and are most helpful. I look forward to it.

My comment was directed at those who expect us to respond to their ignorant posts... or generally expect too much from us. Those posts will be moderated or ignored, and I won't be wasting my time trying to argue the semantics of everything. E.g. all the people that private messaged me last night about the guard change I didn't make... I wouldn't recommend doing that again. Find your way to the bugs forum, or the rants and flames forum. Forum moderators will soon be taking care of you soon; not the developers.

Those of you who provide constructive posts, in the appropriate forums should notice no change except a cleaner forum environment. The rest of you need to be mindful of what you post and where you do it.

Once again, thanks to all who are enjoying the game and supporting us. Enjoy.

Hasbinbad
07-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Nilbog, your penis is immense, and very well proportioned.

Kiwaukee
07-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Seriously.

The developers are not perfect, and they freely admit such. They post on the forums seeking feedback and have always been welcome to corrections when presented thoughtfully and with evidence. They are doing their best to mimic classic EQ, whether it's to your class' detriment or not. The changes they make are toward that goal.

If you feel something was done to nerf your class on purpose, you are probably wrong. Nerfs are most often put in place because that's the way it happened. If you feel that something was changed that doesn't match classic, it wasn't done because the devs hate you. If you can prove that changes were made in error, then do so professionally and your claims will be addressed. They always have been. Keep acting like 12 year olds and the developers will withdraw and let us scream into the ether all day and night.

Thanks for all your hard work, development crew.

Paxton
07-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Nilbog, your penis is immense, and very well proportioned.

I'm seriously contemplating making this my signature. Hilarious, bro.

Tseng
07-15-2010, 12:44 AM
Reminder: there is a Donate via PayPal button on the front page. If you really wanna show your appreciation, I'm sure that's probably the best way.

heyokah
07-15-2010, 01:50 AM
The game itself is so damn addicting that the problems which plagued Live might just repeat themselves. People will get so disillusioned with the rat-race that they might forget (again) that none of this was owed to us.

This is true, the server is so good that people forget its EMU and want everything now now now, like they are paying for it.

Sarkhan
07-15-2010, 02:56 AM
I must say I have completely, 100% enjoyed my time on this server and will continue to do so.
The feeling I got when I jumped onto the boat to make the trip to OOT was just incredible, i've missed it so much.
Once again I give my thanks to Nilbog and everyone else who has made this server a success with all the effort they put in.

zenoo
07-15-2010, 03:19 AM
It is amazing that they pulled off a classic eq emulator as the one we have here. If they are actively improving the server at this point that is just icing on the cake. Classic EQ is alive, thanks.

Noleafclover
07-15-2010, 04:20 AM
Awesome.

bluejam
07-15-2010, 06:14 AM
Amen. All you whiners can seriously just fuck. right. off.

Piss off and never bother this server again, i can only hope the devs choose to ignore you losers and remember those of us who appreciate everything they have done and continue to do.
Quoted for truth.

nymphloa
07-15-2010, 06:24 AM
I just joined yesterday, I was desperate for this kind of content again in EQ and spent the last few years high end raiding and pretty much phasing in and out of the game because the raiding was all there was left for me.

Then I found this yesterday and deleted EQ, reinstalled Titanium and was running around the Gfaydark within an hour with loads of other people! OMG words can not explain how much of a buzz I got.

Please keep up the good work, and do not change a thing! I will be sending a donation for sure as soon as I get paid again!

P.s I will be showing my brother this later tonight and I am pretty sure he will be stealing my EQ discs and be setting himself up! lol

Thanks! you guys rock!

Malrubius
07-15-2010, 07:38 AM
Three thumbs up.

Flicka
07-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Husband & I have been having a ball. The server has been stable, up times just amazing and the effort obviously (and not so obviously) put forward to create this lil Utopia 'o Fun is greatly appreciated. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

PS anything you guys do is grand with me. Wanna change the newbie zones to be full of energizer bunnies? care to stock HHK with man eating orchids? how about having the trip to OOT be a swim with rainbow fishes? :D Armor needing repairs? Everytime I punt a gnome it eats a peridot? I'm in :P

Aprio
07-15-2010, 07:44 AM
P.s I will be showing my brother this later tonight and I am pretty sure he will be stealing my EQ discs and be setting himself up! lol

Be sure to apply for an IP exemption if you guys are playing from the same house/IP

Yoite
07-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Donate folks! even 5s and 10s add up!

Arclanz
07-15-2010, 11:06 AM
I don't mean to disrupt the koombaya thread here, but I want to remind the devs that all that hard work pays off ONLY if people give a shit enough to spend time on your server.

Would you rather have a large player base that is pretty satisfied (me included), with a few squeaky wheels? Or would you rather have no one complaining (and no one playing) on your server?

Your hard work speaks for itself; and the few pissed-off "fuck you" posts I see by devs and admins only pushes me away from the server; it doesn't endear me to it.

http://www.despair.com/ap24x30prin.html

Malrubius
07-15-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't mean to disrupt the koombaya thread here, but I want to remind the devs that all that hard work pays off ONLY if people give a shit enough to spend time on your server.

Would you rather have a large player base that is pretty satisfied (me included), with a few squeaky wheels? Or would you rather have no one complaining (and no one playing) on your server?

Your hard work speaks for itself; and the few pissed-off "fuck you" posts I see by devs and admins only pushes me away from the server; it doesn't endear me to it.

Can I have your...oh nevermind.

Arclanz
07-15-2010, 11:13 AM
why would a PL'd twink want my junk gear? Tell you what; you can have this bag that appears to be affixed to my left forearm. Enjoy.

nilbog
07-15-2010, 11:26 AM

You can't tell me how to appreciate my own work. This is similar to if you built a sculpture on your front lawn, and then some random people come and stand by it, and start telling you that the ONLY way your work pays off is for them to enjoy looking at it. You must think I owe you a lot.

Would you rather have the ability to play the server before its finished? Or would you rather wait until its completely done?

If you're still confused, I didn't start this server for you. I started it for myself to one day play classic everquest again. Hope that clears it up.

Arclanz
07-15-2010, 11:43 AM
So you got a few jerk PM's last night. I have no idea who you all are in game so it sure as hell wasn't me. So why come here and flame all of us? I think this thread and the other one which it was linked to should just be deleted.

Insedeel
07-15-2010, 12:10 PM
You can't tell me how to appreciate my own work. This is similar to if you built a sculpture on your front lawn, and then some random people come and stand by it, and start telling you that the ONLY way your work pays off is for them to enjoy looking at it. You must think I owe you a lot.

Also, I wish I would have saved the post link, but wasn't it Rogean that posted at one point that he doesn't give a shit if anyone cares, or people leave the server, and you guys would still be updating and doin yer dev things whether the server had 8, 80, or 800 people on it at one time. So in response to those that for some reason think that the devs owe you anything, HA just keep thinking that if that's what floats your boat. The devs don't owe you shit :D :D

Thanks Nilbog for everything you do, and all the other devs.

Paxton
07-15-2010, 01:13 PM

Feel free to please gtfo then. God the fucking self-centeredness of people is just ASTOUNDING to me. I'm learning new levels of it.

mmiles8
07-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Why don't we just start blanket banning the trolls? Nothing says we HAVE to keep them around. I kinda like the koombaya.

Walabaego
07-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Bump.
Because EVERYONE needs to read OP's post.
You hit the nail on the hammer, people need to remove head from ass asap. To the guy a few posts back Arcanz Arcalnz? Arcnotimportant. GTFO. Just please do us who appreciate the Devs and everyone involved in making this server kick fucking ass a favor, and Get The Fuck Out.
No one needs/wants to see ass-hats shitting all over these people's hard work. That bull shouldn't happen at all. The comment saying the work they do doesn't matter unless people play on the server?? Eat Ass. Moldy Ass. I bet your derp self couldn't come close to do doing what they are. You have become more Ignorant and Ungrateful, Combo Level up!! (+40)
I'm amazed Dev team hasn't been removing people left and right, no questions, no posts just taking out the garbage. They put up with a lot of shit though, and everyone knows that won't last forever. Stop fucking it for the rest of us you douche bags out there, you know who you are.
Sorry for the language/angry rant, I just hope people realize what Dev team is doing for us and send some appreciation that way instead of negativity :)
Thanks again for all you folks do! Bump for Jusstiice!!!

frefaln
07-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Why don't we just start blanket banning the trolls? Nothing says we HAVE to keep them around. I kinda like the koombaya.

I hear what you're saying, but personally I like the fact that the Devs aren't afraid to 1) take a bit of criticism, and 2) give it right back tenfold. I support the Devs 100% but I don't think an Iron Fist approach is the right way to go. The kiddies running SoD use that approach and I wasn't impressed with it at all.

Overcast
07-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Also, I wish I would have saved the post link, but wasn't it Rogean that posted at one point that he doesn't give a shit if anyone cares, or people leave the server, and you guys would still be updating and doin yer dev things whether the server had 8, 80, or 800 people on it at one time. So in response to those that for some reason think that the devs owe you anything, HA just keep thinking that if that's what floats your boat. The devs don't owe you shit :D :D

Thanks Nilbog for everything you do, and all the other devs.

Indeed, and those statements are making an assumption that everyone feels the same.

As long as it's *similar* to classic EQ... I'll be around, and likely donating.

Again:

Project 1999 is a free to play Emulated Everquest Server giving Players the opportunity to experience Classic EQ Once again, starting with the original 3 continents and a max level of 50, with the look and feel of the old interface and several modifications making game mechanics similar to how the game used to be. Project 1999 is the best and most popular classic Everquest experience.

mmiles8
07-15-2010, 02:30 PM
I hear what you're saying, but personally I like the fact that the Devs aren't afraid to 1) take a bit of criticism, and 2) give it right back tenfold. I support the Devs 100% but I don't think an Iron Fist approach is the right way to go. The kiddies running SoD use that approach and I wasn't impressed with it at all.

Even though I wasn't entirely serious, you do raise some good points. I just always have a concern for how long folks' patience will hold out.

Insedeel
07-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Even though I wasn't entirely serious, you do raise some good points. I just always have a concern for how long folks' patience will hold out.

Well I think the devs will hold out just fine, even if they lose patience, but a lot of the problem with the whiners on live is that the devs on live actually do need their customers to keep their jobs, so they do need to listen to some degree to their customers. The devs here don't have that problem. :p

This server's direction is and has always been to keep things as close to classic as is within their power, so even if they lost patience, I could only see just mass bannings, and more moderation over things just being changed in game to accommodate the whiners. I just can't see the devs changing things just because people want it a certain way. The only time they change something is if there's strong evidence proving that what they implemented (or haven't yet) is or is not truly classic. The moment they're convinced that they're right, or the bug report is right is when something will be changed, but ONLY if it's true to classic. I've noticed that there are a lot of things that were reported properly (through the bugs forum) and in a logical, organized manner with evidence, and proof (via old forum posts from 1999-2001 era, etc) and those things have actually been changed, or are on the list to being changed.

Arclanz
07-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Feel free to please gtfo then. God the fucking self-centeredness of people is just ASTOUNDING to me. I'm learning new levels of it.

Cry me a river, IDB. I have a better idea. if the folks on this project truly don't give a shit about the users and created this server for one or two people; post that FIRST THING on the setup guide. I can assure you I would have not read any further than that. Then you won't get users like me assuming that the PM and DEVS do actually give a shit about the users.

Speaking of asshats, they are coming out of the woodwork on this thread. IDBs all over the place. LOL.

GTFO, F U, etc. That is some good reading...

frefaln
07-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Let's cool it down a little guys. I support the Devs 100% in their efforts but I don't think Arclanz is completely wrong either. Yeah, I'd prefer to think that the Devs do care a bit about the community as a whole, not just their own efforts. I'd like to think they don't automatically assume we're a bunch of unaccomplished peons and are willing to extend us some courtesy as well, not just expect blind worship because of their amazing efforts here. Note: I'm speaking in general terms here, I'm not saying they act one way or another.

And I do agree that the constant barrage of F-this and F-that, STFU, and GTFO responses from everybody are getting really old. It runs counter to the whole point of restoring EQ in my opinion, since a huge part of what made early EQ special was — wait for it — a solid community. And a solid community doesn't have people ripping into each other constantly with the most vile insults imaginable.

Messianic
07-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Here's the way I understand the server and what Arcblahblahblah is like:

He's kind of like the guy who owns enough shares to own a tenth of a percent of the company (because people who play on the server benefit it to a small degree, although there is no contractual relationship and therefore no obligation by either party) beating his fist and demanding that things be done his way because "the company needs him and people like him."

Meanwhile, the majority shareholders (those who have an intense amount of time and resources devoted to the server and therefore make the decisions) are no happier if such an individual stays or leaves. In fact, if that individual is a jerk and feels entitled to something, it is a benefit to the group if they leave. I only use this individual's partial ownership as a generous example.

In this circumstance, the Devs hold all the shares. You hold none.

Games that have a good content for the kind of users this server draws (note: not necessarily the most popular games) are run by people who have a vision of what makes a good game for their audience, and they implement that vision with an iron fist without a single thought to the changing winds of "what people want." They have the vision and they put it into play - no apologies or compromises are necessary.

If they wanted to run an MMO which is "what most people want," they might go work for Blizzard and make a lot more money for their time, or something similar.

Again, you can give up your share of the company, but don't expect to wield a large amount of sway when most of the people here don't even worry what the Devs do or complain or question it. They want a classic experience, the devs deliver that, and that's all there is too it. If the devs cease to deliver what they claim to deliver, those who wanted that service will leave.

No democracy is involved, nor is any desired. Your opinion will sometimes be considered and may even be solicited - but it is not in any way binding or authoritative. Your opinion is virtually worth nothing, but the devs choose to value it on certain issues, at their discretion.

If you want to be helpful, treat the devs with the same respect you wish to be treated with. I've never seen them blow up at anyone or bring down the hammer when someone was respectful and actually trying to make a real point (even if they failed), unless they were being incredibly redundant. When they start sticking in jabs or underhanded personal attacks as many of the whiners have, people get banned or slapped down.

Don't like that? It doesn't even matter if you don't like it. The servers that spend their time trying to make the community feel fuzzy about itself instead of simply delivering a specific kind of product are the ones that fade into obscurity. I'm glad Nilbog/etc are dictators. I prefer it that way in terms of video games. Make something I like and I'll vote with my time - but even that isn't binding to the devs since they're not trying to turn a profit.

How is this unclear?

Aeolwind
07-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Cry me a river, IDB. I have a better idea. if the folks on this project truly don't give a shit about the users and created this server for one or two people; post that FIRST THING on the setup guide. I can assure you I would have not read any further than that. Then you won't get users like me assuming that the PM and DEVS do actually give a shit about the users.

Speaking of asshats, they are coming out of the woodwork on this thread. IDBs all over the place. LOL.

GTFO, F U, etc. That is some good reading...

This is my take: We can't care. Regardless of the decisions/changes we make, SOMEONE won't like it. And that "unlike" shifts with each change and patch. We can't, won't, and don't cater to anyone. The main thing we do care about is delivering what we set out too. The only way we can show any sort of caring towards the community is to continue to deliver Project1999. Outside of that; probably not going to happen.

The community is the players responsibility with GM action only against those you cannot take action against yourself if they are outside the boundaries of the server rules.

nilbog
07-15-2010, 04:54 PM

Do you know what managers and developers do? I manage development work done by developers to create a free environment for players. If you think I need to "care" about you, then you need to "care" about me and we can be friends. If you expect customer service for something non-game related, you are looking in the wrong place. The server and forums should be a testament of passive "giving a shit." We provide not only a free service for you, but also have guides and GMs that actually help players in their own free time.

If you want to give your opinions, be prepared to listen to mine in kind. You should ask yourself what we have provided for you, and then weigh it against what have you done for us. You need to think about the PM and developers as other human beings, not your employees.

If you have a website or some type of service you provide, please send me a link. I'd love to use it.

Aarone
07-15-2010, 04:57 PM
PS anything you guys do is grand with me. Wanna change the newbie zones to be full of energizer bunnies? care to stock HHK with man eating orchids? how about having the trip to OOT be a swim with rainbow fishes? :D Armor needing repairs? Everytime I punt a gnome it eats a peridot? I'm in :P

Amen, Flicka! And, personally, I kind of think man-eating orchids in HHK would be kind of cool - it would certainly help reduce the camps! ;)

Nilbog, Rogean, Aeolwind, Haynar, DOACleric, Bumanahoweverthehellyouspellyourname, and everyone I know I'm forgetting: you guys rock! Thank you VERY much for your efforts, and your PATIENCE (which we certainly don't deserve), and keep up the hard work. Your making faaar more of us happy than miserable, and the miserable ones would be that way regardless!

Insedeel
07-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Then you won't get users like me assuming that the PM and DEVS do actually give a shit about the users.

Actually they do care about the users, the ones who are constructive, respectful, patient, and understanding. If they didn't care about anything we thought, then things like the pet healing threat post I made in the bugs section would have been completely ignored, but instead since I went through the proper methods of getting that issue addressed, it was not only changed, but it was fixed and changed in less than 2 weeks. I've had some nice conversation with some of the devs, because I was respectful, and constructive with what I had to talk about.

If I would have brought up my concerns with OMG FIXXX THIS!!!111ELEVEN! OMG why is this taking so long!, Why change thisandthat now when it's been a certain way for so long!!111, This isn't classic!?! FIXIT ... Who do you think they're going to care about more? The one that gave them respect, and the common sense mommy-taught "treat others the way you would like to be treated", or the typical drudge that is internet forum trolls these days? :) In my dealings with the devs personally; Respect given, respect earned and returned. The devs have only responded here maliciously to the ones that maliciously attacked them first. I have yet to see a time that it's been the other way around.

mitic
07-15-2010, 05:11 PM
critics are your best friends

Unless they criticize in a manner that cause you to feel totally devastated...

...in which case, maybe they aren't your friends because they are insensitive to you?

...in which case, maybe you're too sensitive to the criticism?

...in which case, maybe you realize the accuracy of their critique and realize just how much you may need to correct changes you have implemented?

...in which case, maybe you had unrealistic expectations of your friends the critics; you expected them to support you no matter how wrong you were?

anyways, critics are your most loyal players or they would have left the server already

think about it before we keep this adulation going and yes, without nilbog we would all still play wow or any other b-rated mmorpg out there.

ermak
07-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Awesome job DEVS! Thanks for Project1999!

And on the side note, this is just my opinion. I am not worrying at all that if the Project1999 is “OFF” one way or another from the old “Live Classic”. As long as everyone’s playing by one rule and it’s consistent.
For me EQ Classic is all about game dynamics. This is the only reason I play it. No other MMO game has it.

Aeolwind
07-15-2010, 05:35 PM

...in which case, maybe they aren't your friends because they are insensitive to you?

...in which case, maybe you realize the accuracy of their critique and realize just how much you may need to correct changes you have implemented?

...in which case, maybe you had unrealistic expectations of your friends the critics; you expected them to support you no matter how wrong you were?

anyways, critics are your most loyal players or they would have left the server already

think about it before we keep this self-adulation going and yes, without nilbog we would all still play wow or any other b-rated mmorpg out there.

I'm yet to find a critic that has made me feel totally devastated. When I find one I'll let you know. Critic's don't mean shit overall. How can you even begin to form a basis of criticism when our goal is laid out, but our method is not? How can you begin to form a basis of criticism when we do this at no predetermined pace or promise of a pace? These would be blatant bitching & whining. You can certainly have an opinion, but we don't give a shit about opinions outside of the dev room. So, to this I say that all critics as you have outlined are baseless with regard to the project and provide no general benefit.

Those that are of benefit are folks like MMiles08 who does his research. Jete is another example. THOSE are the true fans of the project. The ones that take their time to help us along the way. The ones that give us good data and feedback. Not the sense of entitlement Children of Warcraft that have been fostered by gaming these days. This is nearly a black and white issue: You either help with the scope of the project, or you hinder. I say nearly because there will be those that experience nothing they perceive out of the ordinary. The ones that find bugs and don't report them or worse, exploit them are a hindrance, and those that report after research are the helpers.

Besides, being nice, concise & intelligent goes way, way, way farther than "YTOUR SIHT"S BROKE YOU DUMB FCUK!". The 2nd route gets your issue moved to the "Sometime after Velious" box.

Ask yourself which side of the line you fall on with regard to help or hindrance and then, maybe you'll begin to get on track with what we try to do here. This isn't coombaya, it's trying to resolve and recreate something that has been called impossible.

And to that end, I will continue to break down those that choose to sit on a high horse and talk down to the development staff of this project. I'll rip you off your god damn horse then draw and quarter you with it. We don't ask for adulation or reverence, all we want is the respect that normal people show each other. If that is a too foreign a concept, please hoist yourself by your own pitard.

melkortshea
07-15-2010, 06:01 PM
As a new member to this server I just want to say that myself and my wife have really enjoyed ourselves. For a few years now I have been wandering from one game to the next to only get bored within a few days after playing.

This server has really lit a desire to get home from work and play again. I am very grateful for what you have done.

I can only look forward to getting familiar with this game again to eventually have the honor to hunt or raid with you people who have built this server and its community. I admire what you have done and wish I had the skills to be an actual productive member of this server. (I do sometimes get my hands on retired servers that are not very old and work great that I would be willing to donate. Just let me know the specs you require and the next time I get one I would be happy to ship it out to you if you need it.)

Sadly the way some people behave here is an example of the way society is becoming. More and more people are being raised with a sense of self entitlement. I am a PC tech and more often over the years I see people come into my shop with their kids and they just let them run around and grab what ever they want and just pretend nothing is happening.

I have had kids run behind my front counter and head into my shop, start hitting keys on keyboards and I am the one who has to tell them to not touch. While the parent is wanting me to devote my attention to their issue and not their kids ripping my shop apart. That is what the cry babies on this board remind me of.

Since the late 80's to early 90's it seems people raise their children to believe that the world is there for their amusement and it creates self centered people who we now see growing into adults that behave in the maner we often see on these boards.

Well for those who like to bitch and whine all I have to say is that the world does not center around you and the people who devote their time to making this server don't owe you shit. If you think you are so smart and can do better then what the Devs have done here then go make your own server and leave us who are having a good time here alone.

Anyway its time to close up shop and go home to play some EQ. :D

If you see a young Druid named Dolahn with his lovely monk wife Luhnee please feel free to stop and say hello. We love making new friends and to do our best to be an active contributer to the community.

Thanks again guys for your efforts. There are several hundred of us playing that love what you have done. Don't let the 20 or 30 asshats that think they know everything make the rest of us who enjoy the fruits of your labor undermine our appreciation for what you do.

Simply put.... Thanks :)

Breuce
07-15-2010, 06:08 PM
I just want to thank everybody. The devs hard work is very appreciated, and flamers, whiners, intentional trainers, exploiters... if it weren't for you all, this server wouldn't feel nearly as classic as it does

FitMed
07-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Good job Dev's and Pax and everyone who supports the project. This is some of the best enjoyment I've had game-wise for years, as I have pretty much stopped playing games alltogether. But this project, this server, has really taken me back and it is amazing and I truly do appreciate it. In fact, im going to even see about donating next month once I move to my permanent residence.

The Devs and Guides spend alot of time and effort and money to give this ability to others and it really is quite remarkable and it is a kind gift. The users, devs, guides, and players to are kind, helpful, respectful, and or supportative really make a great community. Just want to say thank you and looking forward to the future which I hope we all can enjoy.

Aarone
07-15-2010, 07:47 PM
I don't mean to disrupt the koombaya thread here

Just for reference, it's "Kumbaya". ;)

Appaullo
07-16-2010, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=Arclanz;97402]Cry me a river, IDB. I have a better idea. if the folks on this project truly don't give a shit about the users and created this server for one or two people; post that FIRST THING on the setup guide. I can assure you I would have not read any further than that.QUOTE]

And yet, now that you know this is the case your still here. /boggle

HeallunRumblebelly
07-17-2010, 05:00 PM

think about it before we keep this adulation going and yes, without nilbog we would all still play wow or any other b-rated mmorpg out there.

Kind of. There are people who review things and do quite a good bit of work. These are the critics that are useful (as long as they aren't just parroting what's already been brought to their attention). Then there are the : this game sucks balls why did you ban me for three box duping crystalline spears yo?

The difference is important and Nilbog and others have acknowledged those with their concerns and if you search this forum you'll find most of the questions have either been answered via patch notes, the FAQ, or their posts.

I personally don't agree with all the changes (Translocators, manastone/guise ever being in, raid camping ruleslol) but they've given plenty of reason for why they do what they do, most of it relating to previous decisions and classic feel.

There are people who criticize to improve, there are people who are trying to get their way in a way, and then there are haters. I believe they've had just about enough of the haters. :)

THE HEALLUN HAS SPOKEN D=

Agachak
07-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Seems pretty simple to me. Just as one wipes their ass after a good shit, so should one wipe the server of the same shit. IP bans and Character wipes for all undesirables

Chodan
07-18-2010, 07:55 AM
It's pretty easy, if you don't like it, then don't play. No one is forcing you to be upset over this server, just leave and move on if you hate how p99 is being run and everyone will be better off :)

Loke
07-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Ok, I have said time and time again that I greatly appreciate all the hard work Nilbog, Rogean and the whole crew put in to developing, maintaining and policing this project. Without a doubt they are doing something that is bringing a number of people a great deal of enjoyment.

That being said, I'm under no delusion that the development team here shits gold or anything. They're human and make mistakes just like I do. Likewise, I'm not always going to agree with the decisions they make. I don't know how people are approaching the staff here with their problems, but I have to admit that when I approach someone in a civil and respectful manner - I really don't appreciate being told to fuck off, this is a free server, and I should just take my issue and shove it up my ass. Don't get me wrong, if people are spazing out and being dicks, by all means throw it right back at them - but the whole "we're volunteers so that entitles us to be dismissive to everyone who has an issue" isn't really cool in my book.. not just here, but in life in general. I personally feel that everyone should initially be treated with a certain degree of courtesy and respect - until they prove they don't deserve it. That is pretty much all I ask when I talk to the staff here. I know they won't always agree with me, but I just really dislike feeling like I'm being talked down to - be it in eq, online, or in real life - which has happened on occasion.

On the whole I agree with the OP. I think Nilbog especially does a tremendous job here in dealing with both the players and heading up the development efforts. I honestly don't even know the full story behind what prompted this thread - but just wanted to add my 2cp.

Murphy
07-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Seems pretty simple to me. Just as one wipes their ass after a good shit, so should one wipe the server of the same shit. IP bans and Character wipes for all undesirables

Perhaps, a final solution to the server problem if you will...