PDA

View Full Version : Everything wrong about Everquest is in Blackburrow right now

crkhobbit
09-15-2013, 11:33 PM
The zone was bad enough before the 300 gnoll fang post/guide.

KS'ing everywhere. People arguing. This place sucks.

Is it just me or is the respawn rate about twice what it was in classic? I remember twice as many people and never having to fight that hard for pops. But I guess people were grouping too, so there's that.

Anyway, totally not worth it.

Estolcles
09-15-2013, 11:36 PM
300 gnollfang post/guide? I thought -EVERYONE- knew about the gnoll fang quests for Qeynos/Halas without some guide?

crkhobbit
09-15-2013, 11:51 PM
I think everyone already knew, but I think many people didn't realize you could just save them instead of turning them in incrementally and get up to lvl 21 off of them in one fell swoop.

ArumTP
09-16-2013, 12:12 AM
hey at least people are finally using that zone again

mgellan
09-16-2013, 01:12 AM
Nice, gonna sit in there and watch the fun :)

http://media.tumblr.com/612e0103b43640549b6dd3ec392bd231/tumblr_inline_mm2ruxIAhN1qz4rgp.gif

webrunner5
09-16-2013, 05:58 AM
Blackburrow has always been a good place to die in. Once you go very far past the bridge you are pushing your luck. But yeah, with the fang turn in hard to not go there.

It was standing room only on live with lots of trains. Seems to be the same on P1999. Classic.

myriverse
09-16-2013, 06:51 AM
Everything awesome about EverQuest is in Blackburrow.
The bad shit is what you bring in. If you're not going to play well with others, just don't.

Tecmos Deception
09-16-2013, 07:48 AM
Hmm. Tecmos needs some more fangs for halas faction.

;)

kaev
09-16-2013, 11:16 AM
This sort of dumbassery is entirely classic, the EQ playerbase has always had a large proportion of lemmings and munchkins. IIRC, some early gaming site posted an article in August of '99 that claimed Gnome Necromancer was the "best" EQ race/class combination, soon every server in the game had a serious lowbie gnome necromancer infestation (much like the monk & bard infestations here.)

Lemmings & wannabees: classic EQ at its finest.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
09-16-2013, 04:06 PM
It was worse on live - the only difference was how many people would accumulate gnoll fangs. This appears to be a symptom of P99's EZlevelitis that afflicts so many players.

Leave that hive of scum and venture to the Karanas for full immersion.

Nirgon
09-16-2013, 06:20 PM
I leveled some SZ chars there. What a great dungeon.

quenyar
09-17-2013, 04:01 AM
Leave that hive of scum and venture to the Karanas for full immersion.

Spoken like a true Rousseau. Let's all go Chris McCandless on the Karanas!

Potus
09-17-2013, 04:37 AM
This sort of dumbassery is entirely classic, the EQ playerbase has always had a large proportion of lemmings and munchkins. IIRC, some early gaming site posted an article in August of '99 that claimed Gnome Necromancer was the "best" EQ race/class combination, soon every server in the game had a serious lowbie gnome necromancer infestation (much like the monk & bard infestations here.)

Oh do you remember Tumpy Tonics? The boat to OOT would be overflowing with people SWEARING it was faster than leveling. I loved it.

Also don't forget the guide that claimed Wood Elves and Halflings were the best warriors as long as you put all your points into Agility. Never saw so many Halfling warriors SWEARING they were dodging more damage than any other tank.

ALSO for anyone that cares: I dinged level 30 off Crushbone belts. Took me about 5 minutes to get half a bubble of yellow doing it for faction work.

crkhobbit
09-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Oh god, all the myths of classic live...

I especially liked some of the crazy stuff you heard about trying to get certain mobs to spawn. Like having to stand on an exact coordinate when the PH popped.

Fael
09-17-2013, 10:30 AM
the true spirit of black burrow can only be recreated during the first week of a new server.

Dolic

douglas1999
09-17-2013, 10:37 AM
True, blackburrow on a young server when its full of newbie barbarians struggling to survive is such an awesome nostalgia bomb I can't handle it. Every now and then a halfling or an elf shows up and they seem all exotic to have traveled so far.

Warthor
09-17-2013, 10:51 AM
I love blackburrow.

Gnoll fangs made soloing a barb warrior a little more bearable. Next at 21 I headed off to EC to get geared and now I'm doing orc and gnoll scalps in High Pass Hold. At 25 it will be left goblin ears in high keep. Some of us have it very hard and are happy there are turn in exp quests like these. Orcs in WC and EC drop both DF belts and scalps which can be sold to highbies which are in high demand for faction. I guess once the goblins in High Keep are green to me I'll head off to KFC in Southern K and grab me a 150 range bow from the centaurs. Good times.

Warthor Trueblades (Barbarian Warrior)
Original server Valllon Zek PVP 1999

Samoht Farstrider
09-17-2013, 01:35 PM
BB was my favorite dungeon back in the days before Velious. I remember when my druid friend got camo and camoed another ranger and myself. We couldnt see each other but still went deep in by talking while we walked. I also fell into the trap inside that tree. Man was that scary down there with all higher levels. Died instantly. Haha. Thank god a monk helped me get my corpse back.

I just went back in this morning with my level 11 bard after a couple of weeks in GFay fooling around. Took about an hour to get 20 fangs with no one in the zone and a high level ranger helping me out with heals. Will comeback tonight and see how crowded it is.

Morgander
09-18-2013, 12:50 AM

Everquest had the play nice policy though, and as a Guide, I can tell you some examples of the PNP in action:

One example: two groups fighting over the Arch Magi camp. The GM more or less forced the two groups to "share" by offering one all the mobs outside the Arch Magi camp, and the other group, the Arch Magi named himself.

I see a lot of people in this forum talk about classic being so hideous and unlawful, and it wasn't. If you felt that way about your classic experience, then your server either sucked big time, you came into the game at an era when GM's no longer cared (past the guide era), or you just never utilized the GM's to help you out.

I find more often than not that most times players will either just deal with it, or they'll do something negative themselves to attempt to screw the people they feel are screwing them, thus they don't want the GM's to intervene because of that.

If you were truly wronged back then and it was blatant, like two groups heading for a camp at the same time and nobody being able to agree who deserves the camp, a GM WOULD force share. I never did because I was just a guide, but I have seen it happen many times with my own eyes, on a few different servers.

Another example was a pair of level 50's claiming the Assassin in Lower Guk and a full group of 30ish players came in asking if they could have the mobs around there for exp since the 50's couldn't get exp. The 50's told them no and somebody petitioned. GM came and forced the 50's to give up all exp mobs to the players who could get exp.

Seriously guys, you know better. You KNOW when you're being a dick. You're just mad when someone with authority and the sensibilities to know when to flex it comes along and forces you to stop being a dick. You start making announcements about how it's not right because you have every right to stake some claim or another.

Bla bla bla, don't be a dick. This is stuff we were told by age 5. It's just some people are still that old. ;)

Langrisser
09-18-2013, 03:08 AM
fangs still give exp at level 40 on red99 ... good exp when u can AoE the whole zone and get 20+ fangs...

everything is right with blackburrow

Lopretni
09-19-2013, 05:52 AM
Everytime I poke my head in, it's empty. I need to roll a cleric or something and swing by more often I guess.

Kohedron
09-19-2013, 11:23 AM
I did bandit sashes to get through all of level 31 on my rogue. It was like 40 per bubs. Took a while but I got some decent money in the process

shuklak
09-19-2013, 05:35 PM
nothing is more classic than bandit sashes