PDA

View Full Version : Lute vs. Mandolin: Does it matter?

Cantheron
09-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Does it matter which one I buy for spell effectiveness? Also do my songs amplify the effect if I use the corresponding instrument it says on the spell description for it?

For example, Selo's says Percussion. Will I run faster if I am using this song with a percussion instrument rather than singing/using a diff. instrument.

Thanks. :D

ripwind
09-17-2013, 11:18 AM
You may want to work on picking up a Lute of the Gypsy Princess (http://wiki.project1999.com/Lute_of_the_Gypsy_Princess) and Mistmoore Battle Drums (http://wiki.project1999.com/Mistmoore_Battle_Drums). Both of these items will significantly increase the effect of our abilities, and they can be had for pretty cheap (50-100pp each).

Some of your songs require an instrument, but most it is just optional. If you do use an instrument, the effect gets modified by your instrument modifier.

Ex: You are a level 20 bard, and Hymn of Restoration (http://wiki.project1999.com/Hymn_of_Restoration) has a regen effect of 6 per tick without an instrument. With a Lute of the Gypsy Princess that becomes 6 x 2.1 (That lute's modifier) for a total of 12.6 regen per tick.

Same goes for Selo's. If you're level 20, and say selo's grants 30% run speed without a drum. With Mistmoore Battle Drums (2.1 modifier) you'd be at 63% run speed.

cs616
09-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Lute is nice because it affects regen songs and AE dots, but really in the grand scheme of things it isn't all that important. I don't even carry a lute since getting epic, despite lute having a higher mod. Really, the advice ripwind gave is great. Get an MM drum for sure, and lute if you've got the plat to spare. In fact, if you PM me your in-game name and I remember, I'm pretty sure I've got an MM drum that has been sitting on my trader in EC for months. Free to a good home!

Tecmos Deception
09-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Depending on your available funds and how you plan on leveling up, just using instruments off a merchant might be best for you. Vendor instruments are like 1.8-2.0x mods iirc (i.e. they basically make your songs twice as effective as they are when just singing), so nearly as good as special instruments really but at a tiny, tiny fraction of the price.

If you're going to be leveling by grouping, you should probably spend your money on 5/55 rings, weapons, and other hp/ac/dex/resist gear before you worry about spending money on slightly better instruments that you'll rarely use.

If you're looking at doing the bard AE leveling thing, definitely look at getting the best drum and best horn you can afford, even if that means you can't afford anything else. The better the drum = the faster the pulls, and the better the horn = the higher damage your dots will be doing. You'll die if you mess up and get caught by the 30-100 mobs chasing you no matter how much money you spend on AC/hp/whatever, so might as well just go all out on making your songs as effective as possible.

ripwind
09-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Vendor instruments are like 1.8-2.0x mods iirc (i.e. they basically make your songs twice as effective as they are when just singing), so nearly as good as special instruments really but at a tiny, tiny fraction of the price.

I believe vendor instruments are actually all 1.8 - or the same as the epic. I could be mistaken.

Estu
09-17-2013, 03:23 PM
I believe vendor instruments are actually all 1.8 - or the same as the epic. I could be mistaken.

Some of the merchant-bought ones are 1.8, others are 2.0.