PDA

View Full Version : Pets and Experience.

Jameshpulse
07-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Do pets suck experience away just curious?

Uaellaen
07-18-2010, 01:20 PM
yes 75% if you do no damage, if you do 1 damage they wont

Kambris
07-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Uaellaen is correct. Even if you only do 1 damage to the mob, you will get full exp for the kill. The same concept is applied to damage shields.

Somebody once told me that you have to do more than 50% of the damage your pet has dealt in order to get full exp from the mob. I'd never played a pet class before so I believed him. Jesus christ did that fuck my solo efficiency in the ass. Don't listen to bastards like that.

BetaTested320i
07-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Somebody once told me that you have to do more than 50% of the damage your pet has dealt in order to get full exp from the mob. I'd never played a pet class before so I believed him. Jesus christ did that fuck my solo efficiency in the ass. Don't listen to bastards like that.

That's how they got changed to on Live after years.

Bubbles
07-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Uaellaen is correct. Even if you only do 1 damage to the mob, you will get full exp for the kill. The same concept is applied to damage shields.

Somebody once told me that you have to do more than 50% of the damage your pet has dealt in order to get full exp from the mob. I'd never played a pet class before so I believed him. My goodness, instead of hitting 50 before my melee friends hit 30, I hit 50 before they hit 35. Don't listen to turkeys like that.
^^^

ninja PG-13 editing.

Uaellaen
07-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Jesus christ

My goodness

i think you accidently changed it to the christian PG-13

mmiles8
07-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Somebody once told me that you have to do more than 50% of the damage your pet has dealt in order to get full exp from the mob.

This is because that's how it was in classic, and up until POP.

Q: How do pets affect the experience earned, both while soloing and while in a group?
A: When soloing if the pet does over 50% damage it takes 50% of the experience. When grouped pets take a flat 1% of the experience. (http://web.archive.org/web/20010621231604/eq.castersrealm.com/faq/faq.asp?Action=Show&Class=Enchanter)

Q: Does the type of pet determine how much experience is taken in a kill?
A: The type of pet chosen has no direct influence on how much experienced is derived from each kill. However, different pets have different damage outputs, and mobs such as water or air pets can do large damage quickly, easily doing over 50% of the overall damage which does reduce the experience obtained from killing the mob. (http://web.archive.org/web/20010528183427/eq.castersrealm.com/faq/faq.asp?Action=Show&Class=Magician)

It was not changed until June 5, 2002.

JUNE 5, 2002

Pets take 75% of the experience from a creature if no player does damage to that creature.
Pets take ZERO experience from a creature unless no player does damage to that creature.
The exception to the above rule is Dire Charmed pets, which will take a share of the experience scaled by the amount of damage they do. In most situations (with an active party, for example) the Dire Charmed pet will not take experience. Like all pets, they will take 75% of the experience if no PC does damage to the target. As long as a player does damage to a creature, a Dire Charmed pet will never take more experience than it used to. (http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20020605a.html)

Gorgetrapper
07-19-2010, 12:05 AM
This is because that's how it was in classic, and up until POP.

It was not changed until June 5, 2002.

Of course none of that will be changed because the Devs don't want it that way. This is their house, not ours.

mmiles8
07-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Down boy. You're attacking a purely factual answer to a question. No opinion involved.

Nagash
07-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Of course none of that will be changed because the Devs don't want it that way. This is their house, not ours.

I find you rather harsh. I do agree that the Dev have changed some stuff compared to how it was on classic (rune of sword not prooccing on everything, impossiblity to escape mobs by running...) however I don't believe the topic here has anything to do with what they want but more with what they can do. Remember, they don't touch the code but instead have access to a huge database where they can tweak this and that (any Dev please correct me if I'm wrong). And I do believe that this is linked to the code, not the data. Don't ask me why, it's just a gutt-feeling.

Kind regards,
Nagash

Gorgetrapper
07-19-2010, 09:16 PM
I find you rather harsh. I do agree that the Dev have changed some stuff compared to how it was on classic (rune of sword not prooccing on everything, impossiblity to escape mobs by running...) however I don't believe the topic here has anything to do with what they want but more with what they can do. Remember, they don't touch the code but instead have access to a huge database where they can tweak this and that (any Dev please correct me if I'm wrong). And I do believe that this is linked to the code, not the data. Don't ask me why, it's just a gutt-feeling.

Kind regards,
Nagash

The Devs have already said that they don't want to change how pets take experience because they want to be able to solo on their pet classes and not have to group with others. They can change the value easily, they just don't want to.

Nagash
07-20-2010, 03:16 AM
The Devs have already said that they don't want to change how pets take experience because they want to be able to solo on their pet classes and not have to group with others. They can change the value easily, they just don't want to.

Don't want to call you a liar dude but as people usually say "Proof or it didn't happen" :)

Kind regards,
Nagash

Gorgetrapper
07-20-2010, 09:26 AM
All you had to do, was do a little search. The thread was actually started by me too.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10603

Experience. When soloing with a pet, if the
pet inflicts at least half the damage on a
mob that dies, the pet will take up to half of
the experience. When grouping with a pet,
the chance of your pet taking experience,
and the amount of experience it takes, will
decrease significantly.

The way pets, damage, and exp interact has been tried several ways. I think the current implementation has been deemed acceptable, and there are no plans to change it.

Personally, I hate grouping. So coding anti-grouping stuff, would have to be done by another dev. I am for boxing. I am for soloing. I do not think it is fair to be forced to group and deal with asshats all the time.

Haynar

Messianic
07-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Gorge, that still means that one of your statements was misleading:

The Devs have already said that they don't want to change how pets take experience because they want to be able to solo on their pet classes and not have to group with others.

You quoted a single dev, but your implication was that they all play pet classes and don't want the change to happen because it will affect them. I hardly think they are like the borg, and are entirely of one mind on the issue, and therefore are only keeping the current state of affairs for their own benefit.

You provided evidence that a single dev "prefers" to solo and "would not code anti-solo stuff." That is a far cry from your original statement.

Gorgetrapper
07-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Well how it works around here, usually when one dev comments on a bug report (because this is indeed a bug how it currently stands), there is usually never 2 devs split between a decision. I've been around here long enough (but not longer than some) to know that the devs work this way.

Humerox
07-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Meh.

I wouldn't give a rat's buttocks either way.

Just means killing 2x the mobs for 2x the fun - and that's 2x longer pet classes are going to be soloing your camps.

yaeger
08-18-2010, 09:35 PM
So.. why did they go back on their decision for the player to do 51% of the damage to the mob in order to get full experience?

Bizarre that a solo'er is able to get roughly double to amount of exp that a busy group can get over a period of time. I know it's 'classic', but it was never exploited this much on live.

Reiker
08-18-2010, 09:47 PM
So.. why did they go back on their decision for the player to do 51% of the damage to the mob in order to get full experience?

Bizarre that a solo'er is able to get roughly double to amount of exp that a busy group can get over a period of time. I know it's 'classic', but it was never exploited this much on live.

1) A soloer will never be able to gain more exp than an efficient group.

2) If they required casters to do >50% damage to get exp, than they would also need to fix pet aggro. As it stands, pets don't generate nearly as much aggro as they would on live. You'd pull aggro from your pet long before you hit >50%. It would be a pretty big "you're fucked, mages who aren't yet 50" patch.

yaeger
08-18-2010, 09:56 PM
2) If they required casters to do >50% damage to get exp, than they would also need to fix pet aggro. As it stands, pets don't generate nearly as much aggro as they would on live. You'd pull aggro from your pet long before you hit >50%. It would be a pretty big "you're fucked, mages who aren't yet 50" patch.

Ahh okay, well at least we have a path to start down towards a fix.

Step 1: Fix pet aggro to what it's supposed to be, then analyze and propose additional changes.

Lazortag
08-18-2010, 10:41 PM
I don't think it would be wrong for pet classes to get that 50% experience penalty either way. And taking twice as long to level is great, it just means you make twice as much money from killing giants, specs, whatever.

Reiker
08-18-2010, 10:44 PM
And taking twice as long to level is great, it just means you make twice as much money from killing giants, specs, whatever.

Your math's a little off here bro.

Lazortag
08-18-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm a math major, I never get anything wrong.

Reiker
08-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Have you considered History?

Troy
08-18-2010, 11:40 PM
1) A soloer will never be able to gain more exp than an efficient group.

This is wrong IMO, especially at low levels. My mage completely untwinked went from lvl 12 to 20 in 6-7 hours killing crocs solo in Oasis. In a group you might get from 12 to 15 in that time if you're very lucky. It evens out a little more at higher levels, but even 41-44 so far I've gotten a level every 2.5-3 hours (took about 7 hours to get through 40) and that's fighting other people for HG spawns in Rathe which can't be the fastest way to level.

yaeger
08-19-2010, 12:05 AM
This doesn't just apply to pet classes though.

I hope someone tries to equalize the exp gain between solo and group play. I fully support a class's ability to solo, but I don't think it should be a hands-down better risk/reward scenario in every respect.

Seems like every zone you run through, there are so many of them you can't throw a stone without hitting a mage.

Remfin
08-19-2010, 01:13 AM
2) If they required casters to do >50% damage to get exp, than they would also need to fix pet aggro. As it stands, pets don't generate nearly as much aggro as they would on live. You'd pull aggro from your pet long before you hit >50%. It would be a pretty big "you're fucked, mages who aren't yet 50" patch.I think you have it backwards, cause pets were horrible at gaining aggro for the entire time I played EQ.