PDA

View Full Version : Necro Pets - Level 1 spell vs Level 4 spell

Messianic
07-19-2010, 08:51 AM
I noticed my level 1 necro pet hit consistently for 8, whereas my level 4 pet hit for 7 consistently (obviously had more hp and more AC based on what other mobs were able to do). It made 1-4 really easy...But shouldn't the level 4 pet hit harder than the level 1 pet?

Am I missing something? I looked through a few pages in the bugs section of the forums and didn't see anything related...

Zordana
07-19-2010, 09:03 AM
this is interesting, make a bug report in the bug forums about it probably if there isnt anythin yet

Messianic
07-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks - I'll do that after I collect more data. I just wanted to run it by the community before I go through the time of creating a bug report.

My thoughts are that the devs might not want every single apparent discrepancy when I may simply not understand game mechanics well enough or be missing something else.

Damaja
07-19-2010, 11:02 AM
I went from 1-8 on my level 1 pet lol (even though i was still doing the tanking and he was just extra damage) even when I raised levels and was fighting tougher stuff he still hit for the same /hug that level 1 skely :)

Overcast
07-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Curious - does he hit any faster?

Messianic
07-19-2010, 11:25 AM
It was identical speed IIRC (i'll test this later to verify). Both attacked the exact same speed as newbie mobs did, and this was without a weapon in both instances.

Qaedain
07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
The level 4 pet can overlap the levels of the level 1 pet, causing them to hit for the same value. This is all part of the pet level variance mechanism that came with classic.

Resummon your pet until you get one that cons yellow, and he'll be an assbeater.

Messianic
07-19-2010, 01:27 PM
The level 4 pet can overlap the levels of the level 1 pet, causing them to hit for the same value. This is all part of the pet level variance mechanism that came with classic.

Resummon your pet until you get one that cons yellow, and he'll be an assbeater.

Gotcha. Yeah, I was going to see what happened on multiple resummons - but a level 1 pet spell (i'd assume level 1-2 pet, but dunno for sure, didn't get the level 1 spell till 3 so it always conned blue) hitting harder than a level 4 pet spell (levels 3-5 IIRC), at all, seems out of place.

Seven
07-20-2010, 03:29 AM
A lot of the lower level necro stuff seemed messed up to me. The Dots at level 4 say right in the tooltips that they do 10 damage a tick... They do five, both of them. The snare doesn't snare either, which really sucks because snare is one of the defining class abilities of a necro. I certainly hope the level 12 snare actually works, because if it doesn't I might have to hang up the necro. It's just too frustrating when half your spells don't work as they are supposed to.

Messianic
07-20-2010, 07:31 AM
A lot of the lower level necro stuff seemed messed up to me. The Dots at level 4 say right in the tooltips that they do 10 damage a tick... They do five, both of them. The snare doesn't snare either, which really sucks because snare is one of the defining class abilities of a necro. I certainly hope the level 12 snare actually works, because if it doesn't I might have to hang up the necro. It's just too frustrating when half your spells don't work as they are supposed to.

It doesn't snare? I thought it did, but mobs are naturally faster on this server so it's not the same run speed as classic, even when snared.

Dude - with all its faults, Necro has been a FRIGGIN BREEZE to level. I started from scratch - try to level a monk, bard, warrior, etc with no twink gear whatsoever, then compare how fast you level compared to a magician or necro. There's just no comparison. I make a level every hour to 1:30 on my necro between 4-8 - my monk took WAY longer and had to run more often.

legendbyname
07-20-2010, 10:42 AM

Do you have the wrong spell file or something? All of my DoTs so far seem to make the correct amount of damage and Clinging Darkness (level 4 snare DoT) does in fact snare. It's not a great snare (about 25% IIRC) but I can keep myself from getting hit without a SoW.

Engulfing Darkness is quite an upgrade at lvl 12 though

Nagash
07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Do you have the wrong spell file or something? All of my DoTs so far seem to make the correct amount of damage and Clinging Darkness (level 4 snare DoT) does in fact snare. It's not a great snare (about 25% IIRC) but I can keep myself from getting hit without a SoW.

Engulfing Darkness is quite an upgrade at lvl 12 though

Amen to that, the level 4 snare brings the mobs speed at a slightly lower level than a running player: you can keep your distances but don't expect to run, stop, cast, run without being hit. THe level 12 is a nice upgrade: snares a bit more and last 1 min.

My only beef with necro is at level 15 using my level 12 summoning spell, I got a green con pet the vast majority of the time. If I recall correctly on live, I never saw a single green con pet till at least level 34 or 39 (and maybe higher). But I'll see how it goes, I tank for my pet at this level so it doesn't bother me much.

Kind regards,
Nagash

legendbyname
07-20-2010, 01:40 PM
I've noticed the same thing with the level 12 pet. Half the time when I summoned him at lvl 12, he conned light blue to me (level 7-8?), and hit for less than my lvl 8 pet.

I know I should probably report these things, but I don't really care to research it and report it. I find my Necro a bit overpowered as it is anyways compared to my SK ;)

Reiker
07-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Necros are operating at about 50% of their power during this era on EQlive. But they're still good.

Messianic
07-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Necros are operating at about 50% of their power during this era on EQlive. But they're still good.

Can't imagine what they'll be like in the future...given how easy they are right now compared to the monk I was attempting to level.

Dersk
07-20-2010, 04:13 PM
A lot of the lower level necro stuff seemed messed up to me. The Dots at level 4 say right in the tooltips that they do 10 damage a tick... They do five, both of them. The snare doesn't snare either, which really sucks because snare is one of the defining class abilities of a necro.

The damage shown in the tooltips is showing you the EQLive information for those spells. You need to update your spell file.

The snare is slowing down the enemies, but, given their abnormally high base run speed the snare doesn't slow them down enough that the pet can keep up to melee.

So, the spells themselves are working.