PDA

View Full Version : Awesome leaving-a-group excuses

Flipsyo
09-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Hi guys

TLDR towards the middle in bold

Over my EQ career I have heard many excuses (whether legitimate or not) as to why someone has to leave the group, and I am sure you all have too. Here are some common ones, not listed in any particular order, that i may or may not be guilty of myself!:

1) Wife agro
2) "Guys theres a big storm outside, might go LD" - then /ex
3) Repeatedly saying "I'm lagging pretty bad guys" over a small period of time, then /ex
4) Just /ex'ing
5) "Guild needs me guys, gotta go"
6) "Friend needs me guys, gotta go"

I'm sure I am missing a few common ones, but those stick in my mind the most. I've heard some of these so often that I almost feel like its become a way out, rather than just straight up saying "I don't feel like playing anymore, I'm going to log" or "I'm not feeling this group guys, gonna take off".

So its time to confess

A) What lies have you told your group in order to leave that they believed? That they did not believe?
B) Do you think the truth should be told even if it angers the group? Or is it better to white lie?
C) Anything else relevant you'd like to add

My confession:

A) I have probably done all of the 1-6 at least a few times, the /ex being the most. This game is frustrating and there are times when I'm like "wow F&$# this game" irl and i /ex. Which i think is understandable, but not giving my group notice is where it became disrespectful. A lot of groups like to give the LDer time to come back before they replace.

I have mixed it up and said things like "Guys i need to take off, so I am going to pretend like there's a storm outside and /ex, ok?" I get some good results with this as the group tends to laugh about it.

Then there are times when I have pulled heart strings in order to leave (or afk in a few instances >< ) by saying things like "Kid has a bloody nose, gotta afk a few" or "My little girl just fell down the stairs, brb" and then 10minutes later after i take care of my irl stuff "back sorry, shes ok it was just the last step she fell down, cried it out and now its all good". I'm so bad sometimes. Works like a charm though no one ever questions that. I told a group once that i had to leave because my ass was poopy. The group understood and there was no problem.

B) I tell the truth most of the time, and I try to do it in a respectful manner where I don't hinder the group or leave them hanging. But there are those times when....

C) Its interesting to me that people seem to follow when 1 person leaves. It happens a ton for me, where 1 person leaves, then everyone else is like "yea i gotta go too". Maybe it is similar to the excuse thing, where you don't want to tell the truth to avoid complications. So you wait for someone else to do it and then cash in :P

Just trying to provoke some thoughts while eqemu is down, though its probably up by now.

And don't even act like your hands are clean when you post :P

senna
09-28-2013, 04:01 PM
99% of the time in PUGs I end up hating the exp/puller/healer and wish I hadnt joined so I quit out.

I will no longer play a class I cant solo to 60.

Also to answer one of the questons, I really dont care what your reason for leaving the group is, whether you're burned out or actually have a legit excuse, I dont think its a big deal.

fishingme
09-28-2013, 04:07 PM
If I want/need to leave a group, I tell them and leave. 90% of the time I'll give a half hour notice and ill try to find a replacement in that time and then I'll wait until replacement gets there. I don't group that often anymore mainly because I can't particularly stand being in a group without having some afks due to real life, girlfriend, dog needing to go out, etc etc. It's a game, never really gave a sh*t giving a false story.

Magnum
09-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Man my system is glitching /exit
Lagging so bad... /exit
Relogging to fix /exit

Stinkum
09-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Begin /camp.
Wait till 5 seconds are left to prepare camp.
"/group A volcano just erupted in my living room."

NegaStoat
09-28-2013, 04:49 PM
I straight up tell the group if I'm having an issue with how things are going, as politely as possible. I'll give them 20 or so minutes warning to find a replacement.

honestly though, and I really hate saying this, with the way Racial & Hybrid experience penalties work in being split upon fellow group members - I kinda prefer to solo unless everyone in the group is on their toes and the pulls are coming quick.

And that's really rare. It seems like there's always a DPS going constantly AFK, or the puller is, or there's a hybrid AND an Ogre / Troll hybrid in the group on top of it. I'm just being honest.

Flipsyo
09-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Begin /camp.
Wait till 5 seconds are left to prepare camp.
"/group A volcano just erupted in my living room."

beautiful

senna
09-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Yea nothing worse than having a bard pulling with a pally tanking and a ranger in the DPS slot

Langrisserx
09-28-2013, 05:05 PM
i bet living in the middle east is worse or being agatha

fishingme
09-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Yea nothing worse than having a bard pulling with a pally tanking and a ranger in the DPS slot

Ya know, bards are actually really nice to have in a group. Them pulling is really good with speed song so you always beat other group's pullers to the secondary uncamped spots. Personally I would/will group with any paladin who makes it 51+, afraid at that point they deserve it. Ranger's though, I like to avoid them.

Sadre Spinegnawer
09-28-2013, 05:15 PM
I just pass out and die. Get corpse next day.

Old Skool.

webrunner5
09-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Not much Ranger Love in this thread. :D I have one I never play, I think it was the first toon I started here. They sound great on paper but never really work out on here.

I know I rag on paladins a lot but they really don't do much, or any less damage than a SK without their pet Tanking in a group. Now solo I will take a SK.

NegaStoat
09-28-2013, 05:16 PM
I'd be fine with a ranger, paladin, and bard and even a DK in the same group as long as people were fighting fast and the pulls were coming in chain-fire speed. Who gives a flip? That's fun.

If it's a dungeon static camp with respawns at 8+ minutes each the above scenario ain't gonna work. Lol. And the constant AFK's... they're always there. "srry was busy txting".

Back on topic - I did type once " I ate something bad and I have a personal emergency in my pants. gtg sorry."

But that was on WoW so it's to be expected.

citizen1080
09-28-2013, 05:28 PM
I favor the explosive diarrhea excuse

Sidelle
09-28-2013, 05:30 PM
I find that I get more creative the more I hate the group I'm in.

"Sorry, diarrhea irl :(."
"Oh wow, the Jehovah's Witnesses are here to talk to me about why I love Satan - later!" (must be immediately followed by /q.)
"My kid is autistic and I think he is burning the house down."

The truth (more boring):

"Cooking dinner, gotta go."
"Awesome, Chopped is on."
"Husband agro, off I go.. :("

For the most part, it's just as it is.. I got rl shit to do, see ya! :) I try to give a warning usually.

Freakish
09-28-2013, 06:19 PM
/group Raid called
/gate /role
Go camp something else.

kaev
09-28-2013, 06:51 PM

Sure there is. Having a self-righteous nimrod obsessed over xp per kill whining about it or refusing to group over it is far worse.

I've lost far more xp to afk monks and rogues, or players just dogging it, not to mention general incompetence (how many groups have you had wiped or half-wiped due to incompetent and/or over-optimistic enchanter charm-tards?), than I ever have to the max xp-penalty iksar/troll/ogre SKs who tend to be the most on-the-ball and enthusiastic group members.

The only experience penalty I'm concerned with in a group is the players who contribute absolutely nothing to making the game fun to play. The experience of playing the game is far more important than the movement of that little orange bar, and the players who obsess xp penalties and xp/kill in group are generally not much fun to be around. I'll take a fun to hang out with hybrid over some self-worshipping Rogue/Monk/Enchanter twink every time.

senna
09-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Sure there is. Having a self-righteous nimrod obsessed over xp per kill whining about it or refusing to group over it is far worse.

I've lost far more xp to afk monks and rogues, or players just dogging it, not to mention general incompetence (how many groups have you had wiped or half-wiped due to incompetent and/or over-optimistic enchanter charm-tards?), than I ever have to the max xp-penalty iksar/troll/ogre SKs who tend to be the most on-the-ball and enthusiastic group members.

The only experience penalty I'm concerned with in a group is the players who contribute absolutely nothing to making the game fun to play. The experience of playing the game is far more important than the movement of that little orange bar, and the players who obsess xp penalties and xp/kill in group are generally not much fun to be around. I'll take a fun to hang out with hybrid over some self-worshipping Rogue/Monk/Enchanter twink every time.

so hybrids are the most on the ball enthusiastic GOAT eq players with 10/10 personalities and everyone else is self-worshipping terribad twinks

got it

Rhambuk
09-28-2013, 08:05 PM
I very rarely actually ditch groups. It comes from leveling a rogue since classic eq. Getting a group could take hours and as long as there was 1 other person with me willing to rebuild wed try.

That stuck with me, in wow its real easy and doesnt matter but in eq rep is important. No matter how badly I want to ditch a group ill stick it out, even when it dissolves into 2-3 people and 1 goes afk until group is rebuilt. If I have to go I give a 30min warning while trying to find a rep.

Whenever i have ditched in the past it was usually my moms making get off the dial up.

that doesnt work so well these days =p

Weekapaug
09-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Having a hybrid in group isn't bad if the group is good and the pulls are fast. Two or more and it slows down significantly. If I need to leave a group I generally just say why and try to give enough warning to find a replacement.

There was a thread like this on my server boards way back...Brought to light one of the more common excuses at the time, usually by clerics: "Sorry, gotta run. Kid just fell down the stairs." Which was funny because I had seen this one a few times. Always by clerics.

So if you are a kid whose parents play EQ, be careful around stairs. Had a college professor who said he was glad he didn't have grandchildren since he'd had students who have had 5 or 6 grandparents die.

webrunner5
09-28-2013, 08:44 PM
I must admit I have has some damn fun groups with a SK pulling and Tanking. There seems to be a flow about it that makes for easy XP even though they have the damn dreaded Hybrid Penalty.

sulpher01
09-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Gosh im so surprised... the people who are major forum trolls are also the biggest douchebags in groups! Who woulda thought?!

Aviann
09-28-2013, 09:48 PM
'brb cat on fire' then never come back.

SCB
09-28-2013, 10:09 PM
99% of the time in PUGs I end up hating the exp/puller/healer and wish I hadnt joined so I quit out.

Well at least you're kind enough to not force anyone to put up with you.

JayN
09-28-2013, 10:15 PM
On live I grouped with a necro once who had to leave because his car was on fire (he was somewhere in the middle east) he left we all had a good laugh thinking it was one of the craziest excuses we ever heard.

Anyways I grouped with this guy fairly regularly and I did not see him for almost two weeks...

Next time I see him I said how did it go with the car, he then replies "not so good, I could not get it put out and ended up getting thrown in jail for the last two weeks."

Flipsyo
09-28-2013, 10:24 PM
On live I grouped with a necro once who had to leave because his car was on fire (he was somewhere in the middle east) he left we all had a good laugh thinking it was one of the craziest excuses we ever heard.

Anyways I grouped with this guy fairly regularly and I did not see him for almost two weeks...

Next time I see him I said how did it go with the car, he then replies "not so good, I could not get it put out and ended up getting thrown in jail for the last two weeks."

damn

Estu
09-29-2013, 12:04 AM
I just tell them that I've been playing a while and should be heading out (which is true).

I was in a group once in Solusek B where a guy said he'd be AFK for a bit, then came back like 20 minutes later explaining that he'd taken a really big bong hit, passed out, and hit his head on a table. Was pretty nuts!

Had another guy in Crushbone the other day abruptly degroup, then send me a tell asking me to tell the group that he had to go and he's sorry. Why he couldn't just tell the group himself, I have no idea.

Honestly though, I don't see the need to get all worked up about it and lie. Just tell people that you should be going. Try to give some advance notice if you're an important class (tank, main healer); on the other hand, if you're playing, say, a wizard, and your group is already holding down the entire camp, so basically you're just dead weight, advance notice is less important :p

eisley
09-29-2013, 05:32 AM
pool on fire

Wrei
09-29-2013, 10:08 AM
Grouping with others is just like RL relationships, sometimes people want different things and there's nothing wrong with either side of the argument. I tend to value the time online towards efficiency because my playtime has been drastically reduced due to work. That means I'll either look for a solid duo/trio partners to grind because it's simply mathematically faster (unless it's a gimmick group like chardok aoe). It's difficult for me to identify with people that are re-living the nostalgia of playing EQ again casually.

I have nothing against the newer folks since we all started the game somewhere but you can tell within 10 min if the other person actually cares about how they play. Bad pulling, ninja afk, not knowing how aggro works, piss poor situation awareness, general common sense.. I've seen it all grinding in the lower lvls on my alts. That said I've yet to /q out of a group because of X hybrid class / Y terrible players. The hybrid penalty can hurt but not as much as the other stuff I mentioned above.

Class synergy > hybrid penalty and Players who give a shit* > Players who "LOL we wiped". At least from those that want to grind the least time possible. If you have a bad experience grouping with someone, try to give a few pointers. If they get defensive and clam up just put them on your don't group list and move on.

PS: As for the OP: The best excuse I ever saw was actually a guildy grouped in vent. "OMG I THINK THE COPS ARE HERE FOR MY DRUGS" Followed by "POLICE" in the background and him going on an extended afk while in vent. Though I guess that wouldn't be an excuse :D

jijii
09-29-2013, 03:10 PM
/g gotta go crotch is on fire
/q

Mehrk
09-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Don't know if I would call it awesome but the most bizarre one that I have heard the most is people having to afk to go to the store. Really.. wtf? The store?

I still remember the first time I heard it.. poor Revved in his crustacean shell armor miserably trying to tank PoV until he decided he needed cigarettes so badly that the group just had to wait 30 minutes for him to run to the store. You know someone is bad when an encounter with them traumatizes you to the point of remembering their armor.. from a decade ago.

Shinko
09-29-2013, 09:46 PM
my pool is on fire

Clark
09-30-2013, 07:52 AM
I had to use the one "My dogs just ran away" once.

Sucked, but they came back home after 2hrs. Living nightmare for sure.

Gadwen
09-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Why bother making excuses, what more does your group need to know other than the fact that you are leaving.

"Gotta go soon" Is all they ever need to hear.

Swish
09-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Time for my daily quest to find the internet's best cat gifs, sorry guize :( /ex

Elmarnieh
09-30-2013, 12:35 PM

Also to answer one of the questons, I really dont care what your reason for leaving the group is, whether you're burned out or actually have a legit excuse, I dont think its a big deal.

I strongly suggest considering what the common factor in those 99% of PUG groups is in order to determine cause.

Gadwen
09-30-2013, 01:18 PM

So good at MMOs you gotta play them alone?

Stinkum
09-30-2013, 01:45 PM
You gotta love the people like Senna who have 100 contingencies on their willingness to stay in an XP group, and cop the bratty attitude of "I need my experience-rate-per-hour-played to be 100% optimized." That is a surefire way to have a miserable time playing this game and miss the entire point of why we still play.

The fun things I did on this server were things like forming an XP group and crawling all the way through Befallen, even though we all wiped a few times in the process. Or that poorly-assembled four man group of 3 hybrids and Druid healer that somehow managed to hold down Mistmoore Castle entrance, despite shitty gear and the odds against us. Those are the things I remember, not when I soloed Highkeep guards for 30 levels in my Fungi, GFG, and CoF.

crkhobbit
09-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Someone once asked our group/guild/raid/whatever if they could go afk for a few minutes because their wife fell off a ladder and there was blood everywhere.

Which I thought was hilariously dumb. If my wife is on the floor bleeding, I'm not even going to waste time typing /q.

So after that, we would try to make up the most ridiculous reasons to afk we could think of. The only that sticks out was "BRB, ninjas attacking my house"

senna
09-30-2013, 04:45 PM
You gotta love the people like Senna who have 100 contingencies on their willingness to stay in an XP group, and cop the bratty attitude of "I need my experience-rate-per-hour-played to be 100% optimized." That is a surefire way to have a miserable time playing this game and miss the entire point of why we still play.

Theres nothing 'bratty' about it, thats a label you're adding on because you're butthurt. Yes I have a limited time to play and I want to maximize my exp rate.

If I'm pissing around with friends in EQ I could care less, but if I'm on to grind and join a PUG group that couldn't fight its way out of a wet paper bag then I'm going to leave.

Stinkum
09-30-2013, 05:15 PM
I too inspect players to verify every member has a Fungi equipped, BiS haste item and 3 pre-nerf Fungis on reserve before I'm willing to accept a group invitation.

I must have 1,000% optimized experience.

senna
09-30-2013, 05:19 PM
I don't even have a fungi. Unrustle your jimmies you poor soul.

mgellan
09-30-2013, 05:20 PM
/g Wife frisky, totally outta here.

Guys gotta do what a guys gotta do :)

Regards,
Mg

big mouth chew
09-30-2013, 05:20 PM
never left a group in my life

but im bookmarking this thread in case i need to

Stinkum
09-30-2013, 05:25 PM
I don't even have a fungi. Unrustle your jimmies you poor soul.

Sorry, didn't realize you were the only one allowed to build strawmen to knock down here.

senna
09-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Sorry, didn't realize you were the only one allowed to build strawmen to knock down here.

I just strawman'd your strawman

Furniture
09-30-2013, 06:04 PM
I have to agree with senna on this one. This game is tedious as it is so why stay in a group where your getting shitty exp when you can get better exp elsewhere? There is nothing wrong with that.

Stinkum
09-30-2013, 06:48 PM
I have to agree with senna on this one. This game is tedious as it is so why stay in a group where your getting shitty exp when you can get better exp elsewhere? There is nothing wrong with that.

Staring at the XP bar the whole time makes it more tedious though.

Looking back, if I only joined groups that offered me the most optimized experience reward, I would have missed out on a good amount of the memorable times I've ever had on P99. I wouldn't have had ever laughed my ass off in my starter guild robe attempting (and wiping repeatedly) to hold down the Throne Room in Crushbone with 5 other noobs with Cracked Staffs, until we finally downed Emperor Crush. Or the tons of other examples I could come up with.

That doesn't mean you don't have a point, but there's a middle ground between what I'm saying and what you are and that's what I'm trying to push for.

fishingme
09-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Everquest was meant to be tedious. How do you not understand that? Corpse runs, XP loss on deaths.

Cyph
09-30-2013, 09:10 PM
If the group sucked, I would say straight what our problems are and what we can do to fix it. If we can't fix it, suggest that we move on.

If I needed to go somewhere or had to leave in x amount of time then I simply inform them of the case.

No lies needed.

Sidelle
09-30-2013, 11:13 PM
/g Wife frisky, totally outta here.

Guys gotta do what a guys gotta do :)

Regards,
Mg

Yep, best answer yet, imo. ;)

SCB
09-30-2013, 11:57 PM
I'd rather group with slow-xp awesome people than high-xp shitbags. I've gated mid-pull from shitbag groups as the group's only crowd-control. That was once, and special circumstances, but I'm not above it.

If you start crying about how you had to take a 90-rez instead of a 96-rez, I'm going to let you die, and then I'm going to laugh at you. I guess you can take that as "Leaving the group excuses" if you want.

Similar applies for whining about hybrids. That's just you crying because you're a retard who can't be bothered to look up how xp actually works.

meadtj
10-01-2013, 07:05 AM
I'd rather group with slow-xp awesome people than high-xp shitbags. I've gated mid-pull from shitbag groups as the group's only crowd-control. That was once, and special circumstances, but I'm not above it.

If you start crying about how you had to take a 90-rez instead of a 96-rez, I'm going to let you die, and then I'm going to laugh at you. I guess you can take that as "Leaving the group excuses" if you want.

Similar applies for whining about hybrids. That's just you crying because you're a retard who can't be bothered to look up how xp actually works.

I think whining about rezzes in general is pretty lame when it takes half hour at most to get it back. If there is no cleric in zone you could have gotten that exp back by the time one gets to you.

meadtj
10-01-2013, 07:12 AM
But I must admit I have been in the most utterly retarded p99 groups. Way worse than anything I ever saw on live, but I always stick it out. People assume because their is an enchanter to always pull at least 3-4 mobs. I mean back in the day on live once everything was broken a good puller can keep track of the spawns, always have the group fighting one mob at a time and never pull more than 1 mob at a time. All you have to do is know what the zone spawn timers are and know what the order was you pulled them last spawn cycle. Pullers are absolutely retarded so far from what I have seen leveling from 1-50. I haven't seen a monk that can split spawns well yet either. And everyone and their grandma has a monk twink that doesn't know how to play it.

Gadwen
10-01-2013, 09:53 AM
But I must admit I have been in the most utterly retarded p99 groups. Way worse than anything I ever saw on live, but I always stick it out. People assume because their is an enchanter to always pull at least 3-4 mobs. I mean back in the day on live once everything was broken a good puller can keep track of the spawns, always have the group fighting one mob at a time and never pull more than 1 mob at a time. All you have to do is know what the zone spawn timers are and know what the order was you pulled them last spawn cycle. Pullers are absolutely retarded so far from what I have seen leveling from 1-50. I haven't seen a monk that can split spawns well yet either. And everyone and their grandma has a monk twink that doesn't know how to play it.

I've been in groups on my monk and pally and had people upset that I was only single pulling.

jamzei
10-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Many times I have to leave group b/c my roomate is trying to drive drunk. His ex lives two blocks away and he always wants to visit her when he's drunk.

Kohedron
10-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Saw this one yesterday

Party lead: "should we invite <guy A>?"
<guy B>: "no, that guy is an idiot"
<guy A> has joined the group
<guy B> has left the group

Rhambuk
10-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Saw this one yesterday

Party lead: "should we invite <guy A>?"
<guy B>: "no, that guy is an idiot"
<guy A> has joined the group
<guy B> has left the group

+1 Guy B

Malone88
10-01-2013, 03:02 PM
guy A = Senna?
guy B = Stinkum?

:D

meadtj
10-02-2013, 04:18 AM
if guyA was cantchanter I would totally understand.

runlvlzero
10-02-2013, 05:31 AM
never left a group in my life

but im bookmarking this thread in case i need to

There's things I could say... hahahahaha /pras chewie and his mad social skills.