PDA

View Full Version : Monk Weight-based AC: how important?

DrKvothe
10-10-2013, 12:20 PM
So ~1-2 months ago I read a lot of people saying that AC isn't working correctly, and that it's not a particularly important stat.

One of the things holding me back from playing a lightly twinked monk is that I absolutely love looting tons of crap, and I hate the idea of being gimped proportionally to my greed =D. I figured I'd hold off on monk until I could afford a few 5k pp weightless bags.

How gimped would I be early to mid game if I ignored weight and let regular bags fill up?

Estu
10-10-2013, 01:38 PM
What I've heard from monks is that it doesn't make a big difference in the low levels, but it does in later levels. Personally on my monk, I never go far above the limit if I can help it. I do have a peacebringer, so there's not much I can do about that, but I definitely watch everything else.

Loot-wise, you can still pick up research components, gems, and jewelry, all of which weigh 0.1 each and so will not have a huge effect on your weight. I pick up those items and destroy everything else along with copper and silver. I also have one tinkerer's bag which I use for important stuff (bandages, shurikens, the occasional weighty but legitimately valuable item).

NegaStoat
10-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Considering how stable the server is*, you could always take a small risk and tip a mage to make you some 6 slot or 10 slot summoned bags for loot in EC to toss your trash loot in for sales later.

Simply make a level 1 alt to ground twink the bags to and have the alt punch a guard out to make a corpse to store the bags at the end of a play session. Then make the switch at the start of a new session.

Ground twinking is for the most part exceptionally safe, but the tiny percent for a mishap is there. Since it's just summoned bags, who cares?

* (of course because I typed this, I'm inviting gremlins to make the server go offline. I'll accept all blame if that's the case)

Elements
10-10-2013, 03:19 PM
I refuse to heal monks in duos who are much over the weight cap. It makes a retardedly huge difference once you hit CoM+. Even 4 weight over is too much.

Example from last night: lvl 48 monk 10 stone over weight cant tank a single turgurs slowed mob 100-0 without dieing. 4 stone over same deal. 14 stone on the nose he starts tanking the same slowed mobs 100-0 losing about 20% hp. Id say its a big deal.

crkhobbit
10-10-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm currently 35 and can barely tell a difference going over weight or not up to this point.

I've even been encumbered and still able to solo without problems (twinked).

Robdukes
10-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Right now my monk is level 18 and I've been around 35 stone since the start. Even with only 4 bags that weigh 0.4 a piece. I have a sarnak tabard thats heavy and a tattered mantle thats heavy. The rest is all super light monk gear. I destroy all copper and silver constantly and still avg 35 stone.

This hasn't hindered me a bit so far. I can solo like a beast and have tried swapping out my heavy pieces for lighter pieces. My AC drops instead of rising so I stick with my current set-up.

I can't find a chart anywhere that shows how much AC is lost by going over. No formula or anything. For something that's pretty important to monks you would think there would be more info on this.

When I reach CoM levels It will probably be another story judging by the monks I've talked to and posts I've read. But for now 35 stone is working fine.

Estu
10-10-2013, 06:37 PM
This hasn't hindered me a bit so far. I can solo like a beast and have tried swapping out my heavy pieces for lighter pieces. My AC drops instead of rising so I stick with my current set-up.

Don't trust the AC the client shows you in your inventory; it doesn't match the actual AC value being used. If you really want to be sure, do some long parses and compare how much damage you're taking. But if you can solo fine with your gear as it is, then there's no problem.

quido
10-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Don't trust the AC the client shows you in your inventory; it doesn't match the actual AC value being used. If you really want to be sure, do some long parses and compare how much damage you're taking. But if you can solo fine with your gear as it is, then there's no problem.

I can attest to this as well. The AC penalties the client shows you taking due to weight are from a later era or something. Read the wiki to see the true limits. Specifically, the client will show you as not taking an AC penalty for the first few units over weight, but really your AC is getting severely hurt

It is pretty difficult to keep below weight on a new monk, especially at low levels (when the limit isn't as high). On my 58 monk on red, going from 29 weight to 34 takes me from 1010 AC to 977 according to the client, and I'm already a ways over the limit.

gotrocks
10-10-2013, 07:45 PM
I refuse to heal monks in duos who are much over the weight cap. It makes a retardedly huge difference once you hit CoM+. Even 4 weight over is too much.

Example from last night: lvl 48 monk 10 stone over weight cant tank a single turgurs slowed mob 100-0 without dieing. 4 stone over same deal. 14 stone on the nose he starts tanking the same slowed mobs 100-0 losing about 20% hp. Id say its a big deal.

this. a thousand times this.

at lower lvls (i'd say below 35ish) being overwieght wont KILL you, but once you get into the late 30's 40's and definitely the 50's, its going to fuck you hard.

client doesn't show the correct AC either. when you go over weight you lose a ton of tanking ability.

Tikku82
10-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Going overweight also hurts your AGI and movement speed, or is this different with monks?

Estu
10-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Going overweight also hurts your AGI and movement speed, or is this different with monks?

When people are talking about going overweight here, they mean going over the monk weight limit (14 pounds), not going over the character's STR-based encumbrance limit.

SteveZissou
10-15-2013, 11:12 AM
I was hoping to get some suggestions on upgrades post 30 for my monk. Currently I am using a Wu's Quivering Staff, however I am planning on purchasing an IFS for 30+. I am wondering what would be the best reasonable upgrades (10k or less) for my monk while keeping under or close to the weight limit. See my equipment list at 30:

Imbued Fighters Staff - 4 stones
Jade Mace - 2.1 stones
Knuckle Dusters - 1 stone
Foreman's Tunic - 0 stones
White Wolf-Hide Cloak - .3 stone
Gem Inlaid Gauntlets - 1 stone
Cured Silk Mantle - .1 stone
Golden Amber Earring - .1 stone
Shrunken Golbin Skull Earring - .1 stone
Platinum Fire Wedding Ring x2 - .1 stone
Glowing Bone Collar - .4 stone
Electrum Bracelet x2 - .4 stone
Wolf Fur Slippers - .5 stone
Targishan's Bone Mask - 0 stones
Drake-Hide Leggings - .1 stone
Executioner's Hood - .2 stone
Flowing Black Silk Sash - .1 stone
Azure Sleeves - .6 stone
Large Soiled Bag - 1 stone
Dusty Ransacker's Pack - .4 stone

Total Weight (asssuming IFS is equiped) = 12.3

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

DrKvothe
10-15-2013, 01:59 PM
According to the wiki, gem inlaid gauntlets weigh 1.0 and your mask weighs 0.0.

Crescent legs, boots, and gloves might be right for you.