PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to AFK camp?

Husky
07-21-2010, 10:06 AM
There is a character by the name of Faril in Feerott that is currently camping the outside spectre using his pet to engage while he is not at his computer. Is this ok to do? I petitioned it along with a Shaman.

HippoNipple
07-21-2010, 10:18 AM
If his pet can solo it why wouldn't it be okay to go afk?

Husky
07-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Well it states under the server rules "Camps defined'

6. AFK camping is not respected and is frowned upon, if caught afk camping you will be booted to the character select screen.

I was just wondering if this was more of a guide line or if it was enforced as a policy. If it is a guideline, ok. This means that when I hit 45th, I can do the exact same thing.

Bubbles
07-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Mistmoore Graveyard is where the cool kids AFK camp their mages.

It's 10x more pro to rot about 20 sac daggers while you watch "Warren the Ape".

Holey
07-21-2010, 10:46 AM
i camp my fishing pole :D
*/wave bubbles*

but yes if his pet can kill it it shouldn't be a problem.

Husky
07-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Ok, if not enforced can we delete the rule? I am confused as to why the rule is written out if it is ok to do? Given all the responses I assume it is ok.

This then leads me to wonder what other rules written, are actually not enforced, and it is ok to do?

Nedala
07-21-2010, 10:51 AM
There is a character by the name of Faril in Feerott that is currently camping the outside spectre using his pet to engage while he is not at his computer. Is this ok to do? I petitioned it along with a Shaman.

i think you just cant claim a camp afk. Means if hes afk at a camp, some other people can take his camp if they want.

HippoNipple
07-21-2010, 10:57 AM
according to that rule you posted all they can do is make him go to character screen... not a ban. So if you petition or take a screenshot of something that would only result in them logging off the player, how would that be enforced in time for it to matter?

It sounds like more of a guideline than a rule because they look at it as a dick move, but also don't want to ban people over it. Meaning its "frowned" upon but you can do it.

Also I don't really see how you could go about proving that someone was afk, what if people have their chat bars on fade or filter out the /say and just like using their pet to attack. They could be just chatting to the guild while having their pet do everything. Your screenshot won't prove anything.

zeval31
07-21-2010, 10:59 AM
well gonna be hard to ks him if his pet is spot on the spawn point, ie immediate aggro.
And training him is a violation as well. I can't see a solution to this beside a GM booting the character to selection screen, as it should be.

Husky
07-21-2010, 11:11 AM
I Agree with the sentiment.

Can we please remove that line and change it too

1. It is understood that certain classes are capable of gaining XP without sitting at thier computer. This is an acceptable practice and is allowed on this server.

Since Petitions do not really seem to work, why have the rule? Also since a boot is all that comes of it, why care? Please delete the rule unless you are going to enforce the boots or ban the player.

I give another example where a Necromancer was abusing the oasis pathing bug at the top of the tower, which is also against the rules. 3 players petitioned this person with no response. As far as I know, nothing came of this situation. I am wondering if /petition even works at certain times of the day.

Bubbles
07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Pick a Class that can KS a mage pet, clear the rest of the mobs in the area, and get extra xp from the afk-camped mobs.

Profit.

It's not a matter of what rules are enforced, it's a matter of there's only so many guides and gms, and many of them are trying to play their toons too instead of enforce every little camp dispute. Some level of self-policing is ok.

Think of the alternatives. You could KS the mob, wasting less mana and getting xp. You could simply train the afk-camper, he'd scroll up and still never know who killed him. The possibilities are limitless. The only thing you can't do is complain that someone who isnt even at their computer is outsmarting you. That would be the real tragedy ;)

HippoNipple
07-21-2010, 11:23 AM
^^^

I laughed when I read this, very true. If you can't out dps a pet then you probably shouldn't be soloing anyways. If you are a class that can feign death or root try to train another mob near the pet while it is fighting the spectre to kill the pet. You could even kill both mobs then afterwards do you don't kill the afk dude.

frefaln
07-21-2010, 11:26 AM
You could simply train the afk-camper, he'd scroll up and still never know who killed him.

I prefer the alternative phrasing: the camp must be defended!

Aeolwind
07-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I Agree with the sentiment.

Can we please remove that line and change it too

1. It is understood that certain classes are capable of gaining XP without sitting at thier computer. This is an acceptable practice and is allowed on this server.

Since Petitions do not really seem to work, why have the rule? Also since a boot is all that comes of it, why care? Please delete the rule unless you are going to enforce the boots or ban the player.

I give another example where a Necromancer was abusing the oasis pathing bug at the top of the tower, which is also against the rules. 3 players petitioned this person with no response. As far as I know, nothing came of this situation. I am wondering if /petition even works at certain times of the day.

Your level of understanding on the situation rivals that of a carrot.

With that said, I normally DT the pets of AFK campers and watch them get beat down then #kick them. Or Summon them to about 2000ft and drop them, then #kick them.

Just because we didn't get your issue, doesn't mean we aren't getting any issues.

Overcast
07-21-2010, 11:37 AM
What's the point of AFK camping anyway?

If you want mindless XP, there are a ton of other MMO's that are designed just for that purpose :)

Qaedain
07-21-2010, 11:38 AM

lol.

Itchybottom
07-21-2010, 01:40 PM

With that said, I normally DT the pets of AFK campers and watch them get beat down then #kick them. Or Summon them to about 2000ft and drop them, then #kick them.

Just because we didn't get your issue, doesn't mean we aren't getting any issues.

But GMs on live would let you get away with this. Did you never see a necromancer that was feigned death in Unrest, with his pet wiping out the basement? or a mage with a fire pet ontop of the hermit monk in Lake Rathetear? GM Taelyr on Rallos Zek told a full group of us in Unrest it was legal and to find someone in PVP range to handle the problem if we truly had an objection to it. AFK pet killing should be legal, it's not as if they're running MacroQuest2, InnerSpace or AutoIT to do it. It's part of the game mechanics, unfortunately. You could of course change the mechanics, and add an idle time-out on pets and check IsEngaged(). It wouldn't be too far of a stretch, no worse than mob run speed, or the fake summons during combat on the server.

Toony
07-21-2010, 01:47 PM
But SOME GMs on live would let you get away with this.

Fixed.

Faril
07-21-2010, 02:20 PM
What's all the fuss?

fuji
07-21-2010, 02:24 PM
If someone kill steals an AFK campers mob, does anyone notice?

UrsusMajor
07-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Wait, I'm confused here... I thought that you had to do at least 1dmg to the mob otherwise no xp. So pets are counted as your damage then and you can get xp say if you have a high blue pet camped on a light blue mob while you're afk?

Faril
07-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Can someone go check on my mage please? This hotel pc doesn't have Eq installed.

UrsusMajor
07-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Can someone go check on my mage please? This hotel pc doesn't have Eq installed.

LOL

Porcinet
07-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Your level of understanding on the situation rivals that of a carro

Epic, just Epic!

jyaku
07-21-2010, 02:45 PM

quick, someone go train him

darkblade717
07-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Ok, if not enforced can we delete the rule? I am confused as to why the rule is written out if it is ok to do? Given all the responses I assume it is ok.

This then leads me to wonder what other rules written, are actually not enforced, and it is ok to do?

From what I've seen nothing is really enforced.

Kambris
07-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Wait, I'm confused here... I thought that you had to do at least 1dmg to the mob otherwise no xp. So pets are counted as your damage then and you can get xp say if you have a high blue pet camped on a light blue mob while you're afk?

If you do no damage to the mob and your pet kills it, the pet only takes 75% of the exp. So you still get 25% for yourself, and while that might not seem like much, over a long period of time that really adds up.

Lazortag
07-21-2010, 07:58 PM
If someone kill steals an AFK campers mob, does anyone notice?

Exactly. Even if GM's did literally nothing about this, there is such an easy way around this "problem".