PDA

View Full Version : Bard AoE kiting: please help

Beebo11
10-21-2013, 10:03 PM
So, I started up a bard. Never have used one, not even during live. I've been trying out this AoE kiting everyone screams about, but I've got a problem.

First of all, I'm level 9.I'm running around in NK rounding up willows and TRYING to kite them with my level 2 AoE. I keep wiping though, over and over again. The reason for this (and my problem that I come to you with) is i can never get my DoT to stick. I'm strife kiting and I've tried everything to get the damn DoT to stick'em. It's like i have to damn near run up to the swarm, stop, and face them to lay down the DoT. It gets so aggrivating after the DoT has been worn off for a whole minute or two and they have regened the health that was taken by the time I can manage to slap another DoT on them. I get to the point where I'm like "fuck it!" and literally run up to the swarm and eat hits so I can make damn sure they get the DoT.

Every once in a while I can strife circle close enough to drop a DoT, but that is very seldom. HELP!!!!

Estu
10-21-2013, 10:57 PM
I'm not big on the strafe kiting method, though I got it to work at level 2. I like twisting the DoT song plus selo's with autorun. Make tight circles by tapping the turn direction quickly while autorunning. You can tighten up a bit when the DoT song is about to go down so you're close enough to hit them, then loosen the circle afterwards so you're less likely to get hit.

Your goal should be to never ever take damage in a kite, because if you learn how to kite by taking hits then you'll be completely unable to handle mass kites without dying.

Also, kiting does get easier at level 18 since the DoT has a slightly higher range, so if it's really frustrating you, maybe wait until then to do so. Another factor might be lag; I didn't find kiting all that difficult after a few tries, but with the way some people complain about it I wonder if they just have slightly higher latency that makes it nigh-impossible.

Samoht Farstrider
10-22-2013, 02:01 PM
I think I have a problem with the lag. I could never kite either with strafe or not so I have been just soloing with melee with my limited play time. About 50% to 18 so we'll see how it goes once I get the new dot.

nndiro
10-25-2013, 11:58 AM
hi everybody! Another first time bard here. i was wondering, is there a way you can set up a macro to switch from the instrument to your weapon and vice versa? ame for then you need to switch instruments depending on the song.
your guidence in this matter will be greatly appreciated =D

Dirkus
10-29-2013, 11:17 AM
hi everybody! Another first time bard here. i was wondering, is there a way you can set up a macro to switch from the instrument to your weapon and vice versa? ame for then you need to switch instruments depending on the song.
your guidence in this matter will be greatly appreciated =D

Nope, this was implemented in a later expansion and it looks like they removed it from titanium for this server.

Mandalore93
10-29-2013, 04:04 PM
I prefer not using Selo's when I can and much prefer strafe kiting however lazy it might be. Started at level 2 and learned in the newbie yards. Just need a big open area with no KoS mobs.

Samoht Farstrider
10-29-2013, 06:02 PM
I tried to kite some wisps last night in WC with the level 18 DoT and still got owned. LOL! I may try without selo since I was constantly too far ahead even when I make a sharp turn to try and land the dot.

Mandalore93
10-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Ya, I just use strafe once I have them all bundled up. Just make big circles. :P

Roku
11-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Use mouse wheel to scroll all the way out to max 3rd person, angle so your screen is filled with the ground (i.e., can't see where you're going) but still behind your character a bit. As you are turning, press your dot hotkey and begin to tighten up your circle. As dot is about to hit, tighten up quickly until the lead mobs are just barely visible in the bottom inside (inside of turn direction) portion of your screen. Dot will land on them. Then untighten your circle, and click Selo's. Repeat.

There are better guides on here somewhere, but that's a quick starting point.

Mirana
11-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question... how do you guys deal with runners? All my mobs scatter at low hp and its a huge PITA to finish them all off.

Estu
11-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Maybe this is a dumb question... how do you guys deal with runners? All my mobs scatter at low hp and its a huge PITA to finish them all off.

Generally if you have at least one mob of each kind then their social aggro will prevent them from fleeing as long as they have at least one buddy alive. So if you have a lion, a bear, and a wolf, try to have at least one more lion, bear, and wolf. But I haven't found runners to be that big a deal. On a typical large-ish kite at around level 20 I'd have maybe 5 or so runners to deal with at the end of the coat. Just pick them off and train up your melee skill a bit. The worst thing is when you have a low-level monster that flees early and then regens enough to come back and bash you before you finish your kite. Gotta be careful about that happening - try and finish the kite quickly if you notice it, or try and move the kite onto the fleeing monster.

Mirana
11-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think the biggest issue was that I was practicing with such small groups that everything ran, I didn't think about that.

Mandalore93
11-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Double Dotting pretty much eliminates all runners at mid levels. Having multiple mobs on the same social band is good too

Langrisserx
11-10-2013, 09:45 PM
at level 18 since the DoT has a slightly higher range.. so wait until then to do so.