PDA

View Full Version : Great server ... but what's with the piles of corpses?

Playbus
07-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Heya, me and my missus just started playing here. We used to play EQ years ago, I myself remember an even earlier version of EQ than is presented here. Anyone remember the "Unsavoury Characters" than plagued the Qeynos and Karanas area back in the day? Yeah .... they got taken out pretty fast!

But this is great. The version you guys are running here is real nice. A very large part of the reason that we quit playing back then is because it changed so much that it was no longer fun for us. It's so nice to be able to play old-school again! We really like the server! If we're still here and having fun in a few months then we will pay you guys a decent donation. We promise!

There's only one thing (so far) that we've noticed which seems ..... rather different from our old memories.

Corpses! Corpses everywhere! In all fairness, We've only been in two towns on the 1999project server so far. But there are player corpses *everywhere*. In Neriak Forest it's crazy - there is almost nowhere in the zone where you can't see a dead player corpse, and a lot of places have dozens in sight. I'm glad you can't emulate the smell!

And inside the town, it looks like huge groups of low level characters have been trying to attack the guards (or the priests of discord). Honestly, I could not count how many bodies were around the PoD in Neriak today ... they all blurred together.

Qeynos seems the same ... but not *quite* as bad.

What's going on here? If there's one thing I don't remember from classic EQ, it's mounds and mounds of corpses.

Apart from all the dead bodies, full marks !

:)

Kinamur1999
07-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Yes there are noob corpses Everywhere, thankfully there's the /hidecorpse all command.

Playbus
07-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Doesn't that command also hide the occasional corpse that you actually need to see?

Plus, do noobs try and mass-raid NPC's in towns? Cos ..... that's what it looks like! :D

Sorn
07-24-2010, 06:26 PM
That hides all corpses except yours, and the corpses reappear upon zoning.

Playbus
07-24-2010, 06:27 PM
I see, thanks for that info, Sorn. :)

Humerox
07-24-2010, 06:30 PM
/hidecorpses allbutgroup is useful too.

nilbog
07-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Corpse timers and res timers are being worked on to function classically.

After these are complete, you will see far less corpses due to decay time.

Sorn
07-24-2010, 06:34 PM
No problem.

The corpse timers are also wrong, so the low level corpses linger like an unwelcome guest picking over your leftovers after a party.

Playbus
07-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Great, that sounds even more helpful.

What I'm still wondering though, is how all these corpses end up around the towns in the first place. Did they all die in the same spot? Or is someone dragging them all there?

After these are complete, you will see far less corpses due to decay time.

Aha! Great news! :D

Kambris
07-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Noobs will be noobs. I'm sure a lot of these people are folks who have never played EQ and want to give the classic experience a try after hearing about how crazy it was in the old days. Then they make a character, get thrown into the game completely unsure what to do because most games like WoW hold your hand through every step of the way, and they run up to random NPCs unaware that you're able to attack them. They accidentally press their auto-attack and... BOOM.

That's how baby corpses are born. :3

Playbus
07-24-2010, 06:46 PM
A good point.

There's too much hand-holding in more modern games!

/edit

another thing we've noticed that some of the maps are a bit wrong. Inside towns seems fine, and Qeynos hills was fine too. But Nektoulos Forest is waay off. I've stood on the bridge across the river and looks at the map -- it showed me as being a long way from the bridge.

Doesn't matter though, I mostly go by /loc anyway. :D

Kambris
07-24-2010, 06:58 PM
There is a fix for the Nektulos map somewhere around here. I haven't downloaded it myself even, but... I know it's out there.

Sorn
07-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Nektulos is the only map I've noticed so far that's completely off. But...we're not supposed to have maps anyway so it's just as well, I suppose.

nilbog
07-24-2010, 07:01 PM
another thing we've noticed that some of the maps are a bit wrong. Inside towns seems fine, and Qeynos hills was fine too. But Nektoulos Forest is waay off. I've stood on the bridge across the river and looks at the map -- it showed me as being a long way from the bridge.Maps are completely disabled aside from cities, and 1 zone adjacent to cities. That's as good as we could do for removing them. Ideally, they would all be unavailable.

Nektulos is wrong because it was revamped from the version you see in-game. Titanium by default loads a non-classic Nektulos forest. This is why it is included in the setup steps to revert it to classic.

Playbus
07-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Ok, thanks for the explanation. It makes sense ... I don't remember EQ having a map like this until Luclin (I think ... long time ago) so considering the situation it makes sense.

:D

Feather
07-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Slap everyone who is doing the bad corpse art. Catarrh.

Rogean
07-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Well we don't just go around deleting every corpse in a zone and stuff...

HeallunRumblebelly
07-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Heya, me and my missus just started playing here. We used to play EQ years ago, I myself remember an even earlier version of EQ than is presented here. Anyone remember the "Unsavoury Characters" than plagued the Qeynos and Karanas area back in the day? Yeah .... they got taken out pretty fast!

But this is great. The version you guys are running here is real nice. A very large part of the reason that we quit playing back then is because it changed so much that it was no longer fun for us. It's so nice to be able to play old-school again! We really like the server! If we're still here and having fun in a few months then we will pay you guys a decent donation. We promise!

There's only one thing (so far) that we've noticed which seems ..... rather different from our old memories.

Corpses! Corpses everywhere! In all fairness, We've only been in two towns on the 1999project server so far. But there are player corpses *everywhere*. In Neriak Forest it's crazy - there is almost nowhere in the zone where you can't see a dead player corpse, and a lot of places have dozens in sight. I'm glad you can't emulate the smell!

And inside the town, it looks like huge groups of low level characters have been trying to attack the guards (or the priests of discord). Honestly, I could not count how many bodies were around the PoD in Neriak today ... they all blurred together.

Qeynos seems the same ... but not *quite* as bad.

What's going on here? If there's one thing I don't remember from classic EQ, it's mounds and mounds of corpses.

Apart from all the dead bodies, full marks !

:)

TL;DR -- 7 day rez timers make people leave an item on the corpse for that random chance a cleric will come by mistmoore (/whistles)

edit: To a lesser extent, it's also used for saving no-rent items, like mod-rod and dimensional bags for monks

RKromwell
07-25-2010, 10:32 AM
I never really noticed it too much until I stuck my nose into Mistmoore... Looked like something out of 300.

Agecroft
07-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Unrest had a lot of corpses back around 2000, but now - wow. The entryway looks like a massgrave. :)

That said, I LOVE this server!