PDA

View Full Version : Shadows of Luclin

Xoremus
07-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Is there anyone besides me that would like to see Shadows of Luclin come to pass. As a Druid I would really like to see It, but that would be the furthest I would take it . anything after SoL you can keep, but I think SoL should be considered for the "Classic" feel ...The Elysian armour was the best .And some of the best leveling spots in the game I think...Anyone agree?

Kinamur1999
07-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Luclin had ssra, vt, and maybe seru.

And everything else was simply awful

mixxit
07-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Luclin was destroyed by Ghaz and his league of extraordinary gentlemen

Mad Jacq
07-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Velious was the high point.

It was all down hill from there.

Humerox
07-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Luclin had ssra, vt, and maybe seru.

And everything else was simply awful.

This. Except "awful" is kind of soft.

Maxium
07-25-2010, 10:36 AM
I never really cared for Luclin. It was a huge huge huge grindfest to get keys for where ever you wanted to go. Especially VT.

If they did it, I'd still play, but only if they planned on doing Planes of Power, which was my 2nd favorite expansion. Aside from the cheese ball Plane of Knowledge (which took the difficulty out of the game completely, lol ports to anywhere and everything you could ever want to buy in the same zone) - I really liked Plane of Tranq. Probably because it has so much raid content. Like 12 different zones with raid bosses in them. Sol Ro tower was the defination of awesome.

Anyways - I really don't think you'll change their mind about going past Velious. Velious was awesome and I'm glad they will do it. Who knows though, it's a good what? 2 years away?

Tronjer
07-25-2010, 10:37 AM
With Luclin EQ turned into work.

Camping ME for vt key when there drop 4 shards for a whole guild, was a pita.

Agecroft
07-25-2010, 10:37 AM
I have very fond memories of Ssra and VT but I can agree that SoL was the beginning of the downturn.

bluejam
07-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Not another thread like this O_o

Quoted for truth tho.

melkortshea
07-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Even though I had fun in Luclin I feel that its launch was the beginning of the end to the "Classic" EQ experience. I would not want to see this go any further than Velious and then would be interested in seeing if the Devs can come up with new content beyond that point. :)

Verterdegete
07-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Btw, what happens with old game content when a new expansion comes out? Does it get completely abandoned like in WoW?

Dersk
07-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Btw, what happens with old game content when a new expansion comes out? Does it get completely abandoned like in WoW?

Most classic zones did not lose popularity with kunark and velious, though that may be in part because of overpopulation. Luclin saw a gradual decline in old world zones as places like paludal, dawnshroud peaks, and maiden's eye became more popular. PoP gave the finger to every 50+ zone before it like velks, seb, and karnor's.

In the timeline we will be seeing here, itemization will cause a few quests to become abandoned, but zones themselves not so much.

erasser
07-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Original, Kunark and Velious = killing dragons and giants

Luclin = killing the same Egyptian snakes and emo 4 armed women.

Polish
07-25-2010, 12:20 PM

Yet you don't call EQ work before that? VP key was worse imo then VT.

Buhbuh
07-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Luclin was the beginning of the downfall for PvE and PvP, really. The key farming/ interminable dross of VT was awful for PvE. AA points/ safe zones destroyed PvP. (remember trying to do the Earring of Veracity quest? Holy effing time sink!)

I did actually enjoy PoP quite a lot over Luclin but that was really only because I was a raid leader. They had a lot of dynamic ideas for raid encounters and pulling Rathe council was kind of fun. Regardless though, Kael/ NToV/ ST were great little PvE encounters and even more fun battling over with other guilds =p.

darkblade717
07-25-2010, 03:54 PM
I never really cared for Luclin. It was a huge huge huge grindfest to get keys for where ever you wanted to go. Especially VT.

If they did it, I'd still play, but only if they planned on doing Planes of Power, which was my 2nd favorite expansion. Aside from the cheese ball Plane of Knowledge (which took the difficulty out of the game completely, lol ports to anywhere and everything you could ever want to buy in the same zone) - I really liked Plane of Tranq. Probably because it has so much raid content. Like 12 different zones with raid bosses in them. Sol Ro tower was the defination of awesome.

Anyways - I really don't think you'll change their mind about going past Velious. Velious was awesome and I'm glad they will do it. Who knows though, it's a good what? 2 years away?

PoP is what started putting the knife in EQ. Massive gear jump was bad enough, but removing required flags was the silver bullet. Keys are good, makes people work for stuff instead of just zoning in and being carried.

rioisk
07-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Luclin was destroyed by Ghaz and his league of extraordinary gentlemen

Mixxit is there a write up anywhere on the lore that happened in that event?

jeffd
07-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Luclin was absolutely fucking terrible, and was the turning point when EQ turned into shit.

Velious was the last good expansion.

thxer
07-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Is there anyone besides me that would like to see Shadows of Luclin come to pass.

No, I don't think so. :p

XDrake
07-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Velious felt like it was supposed to be the end. The Sleeper was the ultimate end scenario. It also was the last Verant project.

Luclin was where it died for me. I left for a long time and came back during PoP and found the world wasn't the giant challenging place it once was... Seeing Oasis of Marr empty... Even LOIO in Kunark... There were dozens of people in these zones and they were dead suddenly.

Eventually the more zones you add the more empty space there is... Anything beyond Velious I felt destroyed carrying capacity.

Straif
07-25-2010, 05:37 PM

4 - 5 months of consistent playing to get my VT key...

However, I thought Luclin was cool. It had lots of problems but the environment and what not was neat

Buhbuh
07-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Haha, LoIO empty, that never happened pre-Luclin. That place was huge but a total zoo. Good times.

Tseng
07-25-2010, 06:47 PM
I liked Luclin at the time, and wouldn't mind seeing it implemented here (don't forget people, that would be like 3-4 years from now with all the work the devs would have to do). However, I don't think that will ever happen, they've made that clear. They don't like teh moon kitties.

Maxium
07-25-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm curious then... for everyone that doesn't want to do Luclin or PoP.. what's the server gonna do 18 months after Velious.... stop playing?

Eventually it'll hit the end of Velious, you'll have your main and alt decked out and you'll be sitting there bored with nothing to do.

Then what?

My point is, it doesn't matter what game you play. Eventually you don't play it anymore due to boredom, unless there's new stuff to do.

Sarkhan
07-25-2010, 07:52 PM
not to mention server economy will go to goo after too long of people farming same stuff over and over and over... same items dropping... Attuneable was actually a decent idea when they brought that out, kept economy alive. . .
Personally i'm not worried about what happens that far away, i'm just going to enjoy the game for what it is until then... when that time arrives i'm sure they'll have thought of something. Its gonna be a few years before that anyways :-)

Buhbuh
07-25-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm curious then... for everyone that doesn't want to do Luclin or PoP.. what's the server gonna do 18 months after Velious.... stop playing?

Eventually it'll hit the end of Velious, you'll have your main and alt decked out and you'll be sitting there bored with nothing to do.

Then what?

My point is, it doesn't matter what game you play. Eventually you don't play it anymore due to boredom, unless there's new stuff to do.

Tis' what PvP servers are for =p

RKromwell
07-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Eventually the more zones you add the more empty space there is... Anything beyond Velious I felt destroyed carrying capacity.

Which is why I liked LDoN. It added life to the old world zones. I didn't much care for all the items that were added, such as the weapon augments. Still, if they added LDoN and removed the translocators at each camp... It could work out.

mmiles8
07-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Luclin was the marked decline of the game. From Verant's vision, with dungeons and dragons, to Sony's haphazard experimentation.... Hey Aliens would be cool, and mooncats! From this point forward, we shall name every new zone, NPC, and item in honor of a faceroll!

Then what?

And to address this:

There have already been folks who were bored with classic. Even if it stopped here, as a hypothetical example to illustrate my point, every day you still see new players joining, ecstatic that the server existed. And you see old folks coming back as well. It's not difficult for someone who becomes bored with the server/game to find something else to do, and it makes more sense for the responsibility for a player's own boredom to rest squarely on their own shoulders, than to redefine a project of this scope into something completely different, and rob others of the experience.

More simply put, it's project 1999, not project entertain you personally.

Sigleaf
07-26-2010, 12:15 AM
How is going to the moon a unaccepted vision? Firstly, does anyone think original EQ resembled DnD exactly anyways? And furthermore, in DnD there were planes, and ontop of that you could go in space Plane of Night.... So if you have issues with cats, thats one thing, stop masturbating.

Gratal
07-26-2010, 01:24 AM
SoL had the auction-hall that made selling easier...That's about all that was good. Spires sorta destroyed Wizard/Druid profit making for ports, and took for-freakin-ever to use.

Although there were some semi-cool/fun zones to level in.

wangerinlee
07-26-2010, 01:34 AM
Anything past POP I wouldnt consider classic. SOL and POP had great raid content with plenty of stuff to do to get keyed, plus when you finally got your keys you still had AA's to work on. There was always something to do, if we dont eventually go past velious I can see the game getting very boring unless the devs start making new content which also sounds pretty cool.

Noleafclover
07-26-2010, 03:04 AM
Anything past POP I wouldnt consider classic. SOL and POP had great raid content with plenty of stuff to do to get keyed, plus when you finally got your keys you still had AA's to work on. There was always something to do, if we dont eventually go past velious I can see the game getting very boring unless the devs start making new content which also sounds pretty cool.

This. I want new raid content after velious gets old.

Edit: but this is all a long time away and many things could change between now and then.

stormlord
07-26-2010, 07:45 AM
I think a server that goes to POP and no further would be a good idea because you kill the gods. What more can you do than that? And you'd have luclin for the nice twink items too.

Like someone else said, this server is still young. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.