PDA

View Full Version : Monk Disciplines

mefdinkins
12-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Any advice or guidance on these disciplines? When to use what discipline? What disciplines are worthless? What disciplines are the most valuable? How do you manage your disciplines while raiding? How do you manage your disciplines in group?

Thanks,
mef

Pullyn
12-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Stonestance, Inner flame, and whirlwind are the only useful ones. Stone stance for tanking and pulling for the most part. Inner flame for making something die a lot faster. Whirlwind for tanking something you would otherwise have no business tanking.

mefdinkins
12-06-2013, 03:49 PM
What about those disciplines on 'Timer 3'? I was hoping the eagle strike or dragon punch ones would be good (should I max out those skills) ? Thunder kick isn't bad but obviously sometimes the results are underwhelming.

Pullyn
12-06-2013, 04:08 PM
What about those disciplines on 'Timer 3'? I was hoping the eagle strike or dragon punch ones would be good (should I max out those skills) ? Thunder kick isn't bad but obviously sometimes the results are underwhelming.

Useless. Unless you want to be that guy dropping phat thunder kicks for 5 damage on a raid...

Colgate
12-06-2013, 04:14 PM
special ability discs do jack shit on this server

hundred fists is broken

all discs are on the same timer

Handull
12-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Stonestance, Inner flame, and whirlwind are the only useful ones. Stone stance for tanking and pulling for the most part. Inner flame for making something die a lot faster. Whirlwind for tanking something you would otherwise have no business tanking.

i would add that voidance can be useful to save your life if you have to run away from something. whirlwind only stops frontal attacks, and afaik they have similar cooldowns.

myxomatosii
12-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Stonestance turns a close fight into a big win. And it refreshes every 8, 9, 12 minutes? I forget but its fast. Its the best outside of raids I'd think.

I only ever use the other ones if I'm about to log really since timers keep going after you logoff.

Tasslehofp99
12-28-2013, 05:43 AM
Voiddance is super useful, despite the 1 hour or so refresh.

CodyF86
12-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Aye I basically concur with all of the above.

Honestly I really never use whirlwind tho; it's a good disc, but pretty limited to
'real-world' (haha) use, plus the cool down screws you from stone-stancing
at any point in the near future.

I use stone stance anytime it's up when I'm tanking any mob that is blue or
higher because the refresh rate is so quick, and it saves cleric mana.

Also, I mainly save voidance for 2 situations. One is the oh crap, if I get hit
one more time, I'm going to die scenario and FD isn't refreshed (or it failed).
The second scenario is, for example when we do the Spiroc Lord in sky (or similar).

We usually kill him with about 12 people; Normally I put a few mallet charges into
the Lord right before the first real DT goes off so Sakuragi can keep tanking for another
45 seconds. Every once in a while 3+ mallet charges still won't give me aggro, so after
Sakuragi drops, I'll hit voidance, because after 3 mallet charges, I'm tanking for the rest
of the fight or until the next DT. This also gives the clerics time to switch targets to myself
and get the CHs coming.

edit: Oh yeah I forgot inner flame, which I use when I'm not tanking, but killing a merb that DT's,
or something similar to Overking bethezid etc etc doing the final push interrupting his CHeals, or
honestly when an encounter is going to be close and something just needs to die now lol. :)

Managed to hit 78dps the other day with inner flame, and that wasn't with 2hb, but just epic and sos
offhand, for the entire encounter, not just the disc duration.

Aaradin
The A-Team

Spacebar
12-30-2013, 12:56 AM
I basically only use Stonestance and Whirlwind, sometimes Inner Flame if I'm not tanking in a group. I use Whirlwind if I manage to find a named up and want to try to solo. Managed to get a few jade maces that way and killed undead jailer (most difficult guy I've managed to solo).

I figured Voiddance is more for pulling big shit or maybe tanking in some situations where Whirlwind wouldn't be effective.