PDA

View Full Version : Early weapons for Warrior

ez2oo2
12-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Greetings all! I have recently joined Project 1999 with some of my co workers and am looking for some knowledge to help me get up to snuff.

I played a lot of classic EQ back in the day. Started playing on a friends account when he would let me and got my own when Kunark came out. Would sub off and on over quiet some time and progress my guy a little bit each time. Needless to say I was always the guy who just a little bit behind. My friend usually gave me some hand me down gear and would occasionally help me get something new of my own. I was never in high populated guilds, or rarely in one for the matter. I didn't do a lot of the quests and mostly just followed my friend around and grouped with him. So my knowledge of the world in some areas is a bit lacking but enough that I still consider myself an avid fan.

HERE IS THE ACTUAL QUESTION AND NOT MY NEEDLESS RAMBLINGS!

I have rolled an Iksar Warrior, because I love the Iksars. Might not be the prime choice but its what I want to be. I have made my way to Faydwer and have proceeded to destroy Crushbone with my friends but I find myself to be a bit lacking.

My taunts feel useless and I can't DPS enough to pull the aggro. What are some easier to get weapons in the area that might help pick up my slack a bit? I can think of all the fancy names I used to remember equipping but can't remember any of the methods needed to obtain them. I am also flat broke as I am completely new to the server. I made it to Faydwer with 15pp left after some backpacks and a port.

Thanks in advance for any input, save adventures in EQ! :D

Elements
12-25-2013, 03:10 AM
As a fresh war in crushbone with only 15pp to your name you are going to have a tough time. Ideally someone would hook you up with something like a sword of skyfire or a green jade broad sword or better. Id hook you up but I don't have any newbie gear left atm.

ez2oo2
12-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Yeah I knew it would be rough being a fresh account and what not. I wasn't looking for anything with all the bells and whistles but something a little better than the pike the iksar warriors start with. Our paladin is just out doing me by leaps and bounds and if my intended role later on is to be tank I need to start doing something to pick up the slack. Ill definitely start working on nabbing up some cook stingers. I was just coming from the mentality of there was a point in time where everyone was in the same position I am in and there had to be something to give me a little bit of an edge that was realistically obtainable :)

Would you say that taunt is "broken" on the server or just the way it was back in the day?

Potus
12-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Aggro in general is severely broken. Pet taunt should be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay higher than it is.

Elements
12-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Im not sure exactly how taunt works but it is unrelaible at best. Certain zones at certain levels it seemed to work great, other times it doesnt work at all. Not sure if there is a level delta check or if mobs become immune 50+ or something but 20s-40s its better than nothing.

Buellen
01-01-2014, 04:32 AM
Heya

Not amazing but of top of my head. Axe 6 dam 31 delay for 3pp of the weapons merchant is your best bet till you can get enough plat to get better.

Minotur battle axe 8 dam 37 delay are also better and prob can get them for free if you ask minatour slayers in steamfont 2 zones away.

Finely crafted shanktok found on merchants in and around a cabalis 8 dam 36 delay.

Garue 49th Half elf WAR // Buskier 34th Level human cleric // Shoul Der 37th Level human monk.

Buriedpast
01-01-2014, 04:59 AM
Greetings all! I have recently joined Project 1999 with some of my co workers and am looking for some knowledge to help me get up to snuff.

I played a lot of classic EQ back in the day. Started playing on a friends account when he would let me and got my own when Kunark came out. Would sub off and on over quiet some time and progress my guy a little bit each time. Needless to say I was always the guy who just a little bit behind. My friend usually gave me some hand me down gear and would occasionally help me get something new of my own. I was never in high populated guilds, or rarely in one for the matter. I didn't do a lot of the quests and mostly just followed my friend around and grouped with him. So my knowledge of the world in some areas is a bit lacking but enough that I still consider myself an avid fan.

HERE IS THE ACTUAL QUESTION AND NOT MY NEEDLESS RAMBLINGS!

I have rolled an Iksar Warrior, because I love the Iksars. Might not be the prime choice but its what I want to be. I have made my way to Faydwer and have proceeded to destroy Crushbone with my friends but I find myself to be a bit lacking.

My taunts feel useless and I can't DPS enough to pull the aggro. What are some easier to get weapons in the area that might help pick up my slack a bit? I can think of all the fancy names I used to remember equipping but can't remember any of the methods needed to obtain them. I am also flat broke as I am completely new to the server. I made it to Faydwer with 15pp left after some backpacks and a port.

Thanks in advance for any input, save adventures in EQ! :D

Find me online on Xeli or Amothiel in 2-3 hours and I'll sort out your lack of dps, some buffs, bags, jewelry and plat to help you in your way sir.

Welcome to P1999

williestargell
01-04-2014, 01:13 PM
might be able to get some sort of yak for under 25 plat. people hand those weapons to their pets. yak proc is good agro. if you're killing in crushbone sell the belts for cash right while killing. people will come to you with plats and you'll have weapon cash in no time.

taunt works as its supposed to for this era. it adds no agro if you already have agro - don't use it at that point. Only use it to get agro - if it succeeds you jump to the top of agro list with one hate point more than the guy that used to have agro. It will succeed/fail based on your skill level and the relative level of the mob. Basically doesn't work for shit on red's and yellows and at low level your skill is low so it fails alot.

Arteker
01-04-2014, 01:40 PM
obsidians shards proc early i think lvl 16 , its very nice agro for a lowbie should be enough till u found your way into yaks or others weapons.

capco
01-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Coming from a rogue who has to deal with agro daily in my own way, I will say that it is generally much harder for warriors to hold agro in groups than it is for the hybrids.

The "holy trinity" of agro-holding spells for the hybrids are Flame Lick (ranger), Disease Cloud (SK), and Flash of Light (paladin). Unless the ranger has epics or is insanely geared, they can't tank very well so pallies and SK's are the go-to tanks for the early-to-mid levels.

On the other hand, with no spells at their disposal, a warrior requires weapons with effects that generate large amounts of hate when they proc. This makes dexterity extremely important for warriors as it affects weapon proccing.

Thus, the warrior is dependent on a chance event (proccing) to hold agro, whereas a hybrid can simply (and reliably) cast a lvl 9 spell on the majority of mobs he or she encounters.

Once you get to the high-end content, that is where warriors really shine (disciplines come to mind). 1-50 are going to be tough though.

Jimjam
01-07-2014, 04:23 PM
At low level focus on melee for aggro. Fights are short and procs don't happen often (especially with newbie dex) so won't work reliably enough yet.

If someone is massively out-damaging you it could be a strategy error on their side or they are overtwinked for the level. If they are massively overtwinked there is a good chance they can tank better anyway so you should just focus on a back up dps / secondary tank role.

If you are the best tank in group but struggling for aggro and casters aren't engaging too early then you can have someone root the target mob. Doing this it will attack the closest player, so if you stand close it will choose to hit you.

Philipangoo
01-24-2014, 02:08 PM
dragoon dirk is also decent damage/delay ratio and magic as well and campable since you are around CB alot.