PDA

View Full Version : Anywhere for Trolls to Buy Armor?

Drakul
08-03-2010, 06:40 AM
I started a troll shammy and none of the merchants in Grobb seemed to sell large armor.

I ran out to Oggok only to find the merchants there won't deal with me.

Is there anywhere to buy cheap starter armor for a Troll?

Estu
08-03-2010, 09:11 AM
I almost never buy armor from merchants, preferring to loot/craft it myself or get it from other players, but I also have a troll shammy so I thought I'd weigh in. If I recall correctly, troll shammies can choose to worship either Innoruuk or Cazic Thule; I chose Innoruuk and had the same problem in Oggok as you did, so if you want to be friendly with the ogres I would suggest remaking your shaman as a Cazic-worshipper. I even handed in about 100-200 lizard meats to try to up my faction enough to be able to deal with them for tradeskills, but no dice. I don't doubt that it's possible to get faction up (since my Cazic-worshipping ogre warrior is amiable in Grobb) but with a noob quest like that it takes a long time unless you have the money to pay off ogres to buy meat for you from the merchants, who tend to have a lot lying around in their wares from noobs.

Basic cloth armor can be looted off of kobolds, decaying skeletons, lizardman broodlings, and froglok tads; the frogloks are the best because they drop mesh armor, which is like cloth but weighs less (and is magical, not that that matters for you); not all of these cloths may be equippable by trolls, but the mesh definitely is, and the lizardmen inexplicably drop large cloth despite their size.

Grobb also has a good blacksmithing merchant base, so if you have the money, you can grind up your skill and craft yourself some large banded. Making money isn't too hard because of all the humanoid mobs dropping cloth and rusty weapons, as well as the bone chip/lizard meat turn-ins which give you rusty two-handers, but you will be spending some of that money on spells. I would consider making the run (or getting a port) to East Commons, getting bound in Neriak or Freeport, and leveling there; you can then buy banded off of your fellow players at 1pp/ac, assuming that they can make large banded for you. It will also be easier to find groups in that area.

guineapig
08-03-2010, 11:01 AM
On a side note, you should probably think about working on your ogre faction at some point. It shouldn't be that tough as a troll since you can already enter the city to get some quests.

There are a few threads about Ogre newbie quests on the forums if you do a search.

Drakul
08-03-2010, 12:49 PM
I picked Inny as my deity.

I might just try to run to ecomm and buy some banded, seems like it would be the least amount of trouble. I was just hoping a vendor around the Troll area sold pieces of large Raw-hide on the cheap.

The Ogres are dubious and won't deal with me, so yeah, the newbie quests would probably just take ages to raise my faction high enough to buy. On a related note that means I can't buy the turn in items people see to the ogre vendors either.

All the armor I find from skellies and froglocks and stuff is medium sized, but Trolls can only wear large sized stuff. Same deal with the garbage I find on the merchants.

Thanks for the tips!

guineapig
08-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Well on the upside Dubious is the last step before they start dealing with you... granted there is no way of telling how far into dubious you are. Definitely worth a shot though.

Enderenter
08-03-2010, 02:00 PM
If you kill Frogloks they will drop Woven/Mesh gear, and you can wear that. It's a little worse than Banded, but fine for low levels.

SchadenFreude
08-03-2010, 06:58 PM
As a troll worshipping Inny, Oggok is pretty much useless to you except for the bank.

The merchants are on a different faction than any of the newbie quests. You can not raise ogre merchant faction with lizard tails nor with lizard meat. It does not matter how many you turn in. (I have personally turned in bags and bags of lizard meat, and at least 200 tails, with absolutely no effect).

You can not make large banded armor, either. The large molds are sold in oggok, and ... the merchants won't sell to you. It is very painful to work blacksmithing as an Inny Troll. I strongly recommend vendor diving for raw hide armor. The merchants in South Ro occasionally have it, and they will sell to you. Dark elves are much nicer to trolls than the stupid ogres.

You can also make large leather (tailored) armor from the vendors in Neriak Foreign Quarter. They will also sell large leather armor. Again, the dark elves are much, much nicer than stupid ogres.