PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Forum

Destron
02-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Would be really tight if someone could get a mobile app for this forum created. Or even just a friendly mobile version.

My work blocks all "gaming" websites so im stuck using my phone.

Just an idea if any devs out there on p99 are bored.

Striiker
02-11-2014, 07:16 PM
I recall getting nagged in the past to install a mobile app for these forums on my iPhone so I think it exists.

loramin
02-11-2014, 07:17 PM
The new version of the forum code probably had better mobile support, but people here HATED it (or maybe they just hate change; we all are still playing a 10+ year old game after all ...).

loramin
02-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Also, what phone do you have? My Android phone can browse the forum just fine.

Clark
02-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Also, what phone do you have? My Android phone can browse the forum just fine.

Destron
02-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Galaxy s3.

It works fine but it could be improved is all. The forum is not setup for mobile browsing.

Just thought it might be a useful feature. If I knew anything about mobile developing I would dive in.

loramin
02-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Galaxy s3.

It works fine but it could be improved is all. The forum is not setup for mobile browsing.

Just thought it might be a useful feature. If I knew anything about mobile developing I would dive in.

I've got an S4, so we're in the same boat. Just zoom out/in a lot and you should be fine.

As for a "real" fix, you have two things working against you:

1) We're running on an old version of VBulletin here, because of the community's resistance to change. There almost certainly is better mobile support on newer versions of VBulletin (because modern developers care more about that sort of thing than developers years ago did) ... but we'll never see it.

2) As a web developer myself, I can assure you it's not so easy to just make a mobile version of another site. In many respects it would be more work than making a site from scratch. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's a ridiculous amount of work just to avoid having to double-tap your phone a few times.

Lightloch
02-11-2014, 07:49 PM
I think there's a paid app called ForumRunner or something like that which is designed to view these kinds of forums on a mobile platform.

Dumesh Uhl'Belk
02-11-2014, 08:08 PM
I think there's a paid app called ForumRunner or something like that which is designed to view these kinds of forums on a mobile platform.Forum Runner was hot shit, but Rogean hasn't been able to verify security on the new version or something like that.

NextGenesis88
02-11-2014, 09:17 PM
I browse on my Galaxy S2 just fine.