PDA

View Full Version : Classes In Demand

DevGrousis
02-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Just jumped back into the server after a year or two off. I would imagine that since Kunark dropped, things have changed, and perhaps different classes are in demand, especially with Velious around the corner.

Any insight on which classes are in high demand now, or will be, once Velious drops?

With class xp penalties dropping, i'm sure that will change the landscape.

Until I decide, I'll be the 41 Enc in Kurns, dropping clarity and haste on everyone :)

Thanks, guys.

Champion_Standing
02-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Anything but rangers.

Bill Tetley
02-12-2014, 08:35 PM
none. server is full

Swish
02-12-2014, 08:38 PM
There's no point picking an "in-demand" class if you don't enjoy it ;)

Sure, there'll always be a need for clerics, enchanters, shammies...but there's no point if you don't enjoy them. Why not level the enchanter to 60?

That said, at the top end there's a big lack of tanks lately in KC/Seb.

Strifer
02-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Anything but rangers.

http://i.imgur.com/OuuCBYf.gif

baalzy
02-12-2014, 08:54 PM
roll a tank.

Ahldagor
02-12-2014, 08:54 PM
play what you want to. a lot just depends on the type of player that you are. i like watching things die over time, so i play a shaman and just started a necro. druid is shelved atm because the shaman is a lot of fun. my advice is iksar shadow knight because there isn't enough of them.

Strifer
02-12-2014, 08:59 PM
roll a tank.

http://i.imgur.com/O4nJSGH.gif

sox7d
02-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Anything but rangers.

RANGER AMIRITE GAIZ

Swish
02-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Anything but rangers.

The amount of shit I see being thrown at rangers in KC is both funny and disturbing. People say "NO, NO HYBRIDS!" etc.

Don't mind those 2 iksar monks with their 44% penalty each though, they're cool...

Skittlez
02-12-2014, 10:56 PM
I would say go with a tank. Make sure to /beg for fungi.

Grubbz
02-12-2014, 10:58 PM
Go mage and never look back.

Spacebar
02-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Stick with ur chanter. Even with the crazy MR mobs will have in Velious, chanters will still always be in demand. Also, they are about one of the funnest classes.

SamwiseRed
02-12-2014, 11:22 PM
if you want to be needed, cleric. there is never enuff clerics, ever.

Tecmos Deception
02-13-2014, 01:57 AM
The amount of shit I see being thrown at rangers in KC is both funny and disturbing. People say "NO, NO HYBRIDS!" etc.

Don't mind those 2 iksar monks with their 44% penalty each though, they're cool...

Everyone knows that rangers are only 3% less awesome than monks, so it totally makes sense to enjoy their xp penalty as much as an iksar monks!

HeallunRumblebelly
02-13-2014, 02:14 AM
What the shit do posts like this even mean? If you're talking about grouping to 60, anyone can do that at pretty much any time, but you may want to avoid rangers until velious. If you're talking about cash camps at 60, make a shm or enchanter and duo / solo farm. If you're talking about raids...it varies. Cleric or rogue stack very well and more will pretty much never be turned down.

Archestratie
02-13-2014, 06:41 AM
roll a tank.

Agreed. I started a character a little while ago and am level 16 now. It's been really tough to get a tank for every group I've been in. At least in the zones I've adventured, tanks are the most in demand. And clerics.

Fireapple
02-13-2014, 06:50 AM
Want an easy path to high end guilds and no competition loot? Ranger/Paladin

Want to be more useful than a sack of dog turds? Anything else.

Want to solo? Shaman/Enchanter

Want to pretend like you can solo? Necro/Druid

Want to be required? Cleric/Wizard/Enchanter

arsenalpow
02-13-2014, 07:33 AM
There's always a lack of mages at the top end, plus you can solo up to the low 50s easily. New melee with no twink gear is rough.

Teppler
02-13-2014, 08:44 AM
Want an easy path to high end guilds and no competition loot? Ranger/Paladin

Want to be more useful than a sack of dog turds? Anything else.

Want to solo? Shaman/Enchanter

Want to pretend like you can solo? Necro/Druid

Want to be required? Cleric/Wizard/Enchanter

Tell me about this 'pretend solo' necro is relegated to.

BattleToad
02-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Server is saturated with Druid/Monk/Rogue/SK/War/Shaman/Necros/Enchanters

Pick something else.

Dezik
02-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Could always use more Rogues.. they stack like crazy

webrunner5
02-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Tell me about this 'pretend solo' necro is relegated to.

Or Wizard NEEDED?? :eek: On a Raid for 10 seconds maybe.

Bamz4l
02-13-2014, 12:03 PM
i always wondered what the point of these threads are? "What class is needed, because I want to be needed!" or "fastest path to the pixels" maybe?

Dezik
02-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Maybe because it's a game that revolves highly around grouping so people would rather roll classes that have an easier time finding / being loved in the groups they are in? Just a thought.

Danth
02-13-2014, 12:13 PM
Historically on P1999, Druid, Monk, Shaman, and Necromancer are the four most popular classes. As such none of them tend to be hugely in demand because the majority of guilds already have sufficient numbers of them. After those, you have the "Holy Trinity"--Cleric, Enchanter, Warrior--in the upper end of mid-range popularity. All three are solid classes with good desirability through all ranges of the game. Next you have the classes in the lower mid-range: Bards, Magicians, Rogues. All three are useful and their numbers are limited enough that many guilds would like to have more of them. Finally, at the bottom you have Wizards, Shadow Knights, Rangers, and Paladins. The rarity of all four classes ensures a selection of guilds to choose from, but they're rare for a reason: Experience penalties or generally limited group desirability or both.

Hybrids like Rangers or Shadow Knights tend to be relatively more common during the leveling phase than they are at level 60. They tend to run out of gas and get shelved once they hit 50+ and the experience penalty really starts to kick in.

The correct answer to "what class should I play," is always, "Play what you like." This isn't a modern game, and if you're serious about reaching the level cap, you had best be trying to do it with a class you enjoy playing.

Danth

Swish
02-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Could always use more Rogues.. they stack like crazy

You'd be surprised on the abundance of rogues in the 50s lately, there's a shit ton of us :p

jaybone
02-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Need more enchanters\shamans

Dezik
02-13-2014, 12:52 PM
You'd be surprised on the abundance of rogues in the 50s lately, there's a shit ton of us :p

But see, a group or raid can stack rogues a lot better than most classes, so this is a good thing.

baalzy
02-13-2014, 01:05 PM
But see, a group or raid can stack rogues a lot better than most classes, so this is a good thing.

Yeah, long as you have a tank and enough heals to keep the tank alive then the more rogues the better!

DevGrousis
02-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Well, firstly, thank you to everyone for the answers (except the trolls)

I'm not interested in being loved (yes I am), I just want to play something other than the most popular, and I'd like to be sought after for groups, as Dazik said.

I'm planning to keep playing my Enc, but want to roll something other than him, as a secondary. Just always how i've been. I guess i'm going between Warrior, Bard, SK, and Paladin, and just can't put my finger on which one I'm going to go with.

Ahldagor
02-13-2014, 10:41 PM
iksar shadowknight. no trollin

DevGrousis
02-14-2014, 04:11 PM
I've got it narrowed down to Pal and Bard. After getting myself back into the game for a couple of days, and looking over numbers of players of each class, at dif level ranges, I'd say Bard and Paladin, are the two least common, of the classes i'm really interested in. Now just can't figure out which one of the two I'm gonna dive into.

There seem to be literally no paladins playing, why is that?

webrunner5
02-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Paladins just have no real DPS on here. So it is really tough soloing and finding a group is hard because of their Hybrid XP penalty and low DPS.

But pretty neat playing a underdog class at times.

Vlak
02-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Paladins get a bad rap but they're pretty great split tanks and hold aggro just about as well as SK on a raid. Great for duoing with too as SK or Shaman (can't speak for other classes, never played them high enough).

Rararboker
02-15-2014, 12:37 AM
From my experience paladins have better aggro capabilities than SK's. Maybe at higher lvl's it changes but I was in MM recently on my paladin (lvl 20) with a bard and a SK in my group (what a great group right?) and they could not peel aggro off me. And I was telling them to try so I could see what the outcome would be.

GFG + Flash of Light = massive amounts of aggro.

Danth
02-15-2014, 12:48 AM
At low levels Paladins can sustain higher aggro if they want to because Disease Cloud has a 6 second cooldown and Flash of Light doesn't.

At the very high end, when I (SK) went up against a Paladin we simply ping-ponged the target as quickly as we could cast our spells. Aggro was dead even for all intents and purposes, at least no group would ever notice the difference.

Danth

innocent51
02-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Both paladins and sk have great aggro. They make incredible tanks from 20 to 50 specially if twinked (since you won't need enchanter when everything is tanked).

After warrior start having level for good procs they fall back in wantability. Even more paladins who can't fd pull or snare.
Of course good paladin will be always better than bad warrior.

webrunner5
02-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Keeping agro has a LOT to do with what weapon you have also. You are not going to keep agro with a Orc Pick. :D