PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember when NPC's given items would equip/use them?

tristantio
02-13-2014, 11:37 AM
I remember the Priest of Discord always wearing Bronze armor instead of his robe, as players would give him some when passing by (I once got a full suit of rubicite from a gullible shaman via the old /cons MyName trick and had given it to a POD as well - I'll try to find the screenshots).

Raavak
02-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Yup. As well as when you killed the thing it would still have it as loot. I used to drop medium-nice items on lowbie mobs all the time thinking some fresh char would get a real surprise when they killed that moss snake.

RiffDaemon
02-13-2014, 11:44 AM
One of my favorite memories from scrapping in the newbie yards was hearing a shout that someone put amazing items on a bunch of rats and orc pawns.

Porcoa
02-13-2014, 11:52 AM
We pimped out Osargen a few nights ago in HHK with full bronze armor. Maybe they don't equip it if they have something else on?

Erati
02-13-2014, 11:55 AM
pretty sure you can give the PoD bronze armor here and he equips it

however yes they ( for some reason even though I also remember this in classic) removed the ability for mobs to drop the stuff you handed them

nothing was more classic than enchanters or necros carrying only 2 stun whips around that they had used for weeks. Once they were done charming, they would kill their pet, loot the whips and save them for another day.

Swish
02-13-2014, 12:09 PM
We pimped out Osargen a few nights ago in HHK with full bronze armor. Maybe they don't equip it if they have something else on?

haha that's hilarious, someone give him a procc'ing weapon... as if he wasn't beastly enough :)

tristantio
02-13-2014, 12:12 PM
pretty sure you can give the PoD bronze armor here and he equips it

however yes they ( for some reason even though I also remember this in classic) removed the ability for mobs to drop the stuff you handed them

nothing was more classic than enchanters or necros carrying only 2 stun whips around that they had used for weeks. Once they were done charming, they would kill their pet, loot the whips and save them for another day.

This worked with charm as recently as ~2010 (last time I played on live) as I took an ENC to 70 or so on Firiona Vie and would do that there.

Daldaen
02-13-2014, 12:19 PM
They unclassicly nerfed putting items on mobs and being able to loot them after. Really should be reverted. I remember having a solid charming set with Adamantine band / rusty spiked shoulders and 2 weapons for a charmed pet that is always end up killing and looting back when I was done with him.

Also it was fun to put random items on newbie mobs for them to loot

Tecmos Deception
02-13-2014, 12:39 PM
The lol factor of giving random mobs random gear as surprises for whoever ends up killing it would just be amazing. I almost wouldn't even care about being able to further enable my pets to kill me by proccing conflagrations on me and stuff compared to that.

If they put this back ingame (it is supposed to work with coins too, right? give a moss snake 100k copper and it drops it when it dies?) and let us drop coins on the ground, I could die a happy man.

Burrito
02-13-2014, 12:48 PM
I remember giving all the visible bronze pieces that drop in mistmoore to my ancille and eventually turning her orange. Can you no longer do this?

SamwiseRed
02-13-2014, 01:03 PM
u can do it with charmed pets.

in classic you could do it to any mob without it being charmed.

loramin
02-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Does anyone have any (non-anecdotal) evidence of this? We could post an official bug for it.

baalzy
02-13-2014, 01:12 PM
u can do it with charmed pets.

in classic you could do it to any mob without it being charmed.
To be clear so someone doesn't lose something they thought they could get back.
The charmed pet will USE the items, but if you kill them they will not drop the item. So it's a 1 time thing if you want to give your charmed pet a a steel hilted flint dagger or something.

You should get the item back, it just doesn't work that way on p99 right now.

Dragr
02-13-2014, 01:16 PM
I was telling my permagroup about this last night. I looted some good things in NQ newbie garden. We tried it with an Orc Oracle in Misty, he showed it but no getting it back.

SamwiseRed
02-13-2014, 01:19 PM
To be clear so someone doesn't lose something they thought they could get back.
The charmed pet will USE the items, but if you kill them they will not drop the item. So it's a 1 time thing if you want to give your charmed pet a a steel hilted flint dagger or something.

You should get the item back, it just doesn't work that way on p99 right now.

ya i know i forgot why they removed it/didnt have it in. its been discussed before.

baalzy
02-13-2014, 01:24 PM
ya i know i forgot why they removed it/didnt have it in. its been discussed before.

A dupe exploit possibly?

I know for a while during classic it was possible to trade no-drop gear to mobs, kill the mob, and then let someone else loot it. No-drop gear should definitely not be returned after it's been traded (that is classic). I also know there have been recent bug reports of the charm-situation that just haven't been addressed yet.

I chalk most of these long-standing not-classic issues up to limited time & a big focus on velious. Once that's out the door hopefully some of those issues can be addressed.

Arterian
02-13-2014, 01:29 PM
I'd rather have this than Velious.

tristantio
02-13-2014, 01:35 PM
I know there was a change to quest givers (which also had the potential to remove MQ'in) where they would state "I don't need this item" or whatever, instead of simply taking the items and adding to their loot table.

This is probably why they have to custom code/enable MultiQuesting on certain quests on p99 (since the default is for the NPC to reject the items, unless they are charmed).

I can't find the screenshot I had via the wayback machine from back in the day (all you can find on my old site is a link I had to the image titled, "Rubicite Clad Priest of Discord", but I doubt that is good for proof).

Being as I had looted the rubicite on a level 1 troll, I did not have the POD charmed when I gave him the full rubicite set that he proceeded to wear.

Duckwalk
02-13-2014, 02:24 PM
The greatest version of equipping npc's without a doubt goes to FoH equipping revamped Cazic Thile with haste and dispell weapons. Witness the birth of Mecha-Cazic

koros
02-13-2014, 02:51 PM
The greatest version of equipping npc's without a doubt goes to FoH equipping revamped Cazic Thile with haste and dispell weapons. Witness the birth of Mecha-Cazic

This.

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=20657
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=31208

nilbog
02-13-2014, 02:52 PM
They unclassicly nerfed putting items on mobs and being able to loot them after. Really should be reverted.

It was done to prevent exploits, not a simple nerf.

This is on a long list of things I'd like corrected.

Send prayers to Haynar.

Daldaen
02-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Fantastical! Haynar prayers are sent.

baalzy
02-13-2014, 03:23 PM
This.

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=20657
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=31208

I thought the GBS proced on the wielder,not the target, and therefore was only used by twinks below level 45. (Or is that the joke? He was removing debuffs from himself)

koros
02-13-2014, 03:29 PM
I thought the GBS proced on the wielder,not the target, and therefore was only used by twinks below level 45. (Or is that the joke? He was removing debuffs from himself)

Yup he was removing debuffs from himself. Malo, Cripple. It made a big difference, especially when he was 36% hasted.

Kiwaukee
02-13-2014, 07:56 PM
The nerf on live was because mobs would drop ANYTHING you handed them. People were using it to trade no drop loot.

That said, the live nerf only fixed the no drop part, so NPCs would return "I have no use for this item, name" if you handed them no drop stuff. They still used and dropped any coin and tradeable items.

Xelris
02-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Used to have tons of fun freaking random groupies out by putting items on summoned eyes of zomm and looting them.

You have slain Eye of Xelris!
--You have looted a Fungus Covered Scale Tunic
You tell the group, "Oh sweet."

I think my frivolous petition score was in the teens somewhere.

Clark
02-14-2014, 04:08 AM
They unclassicly nerfed putting items on mobs and being able to loot them after. Really should be reverted. I remember having a solid charming set with Adamantine band / rusty spiked shoulders and 2 weapons for a charmed pet that is always end up killing and looting back when I was done with him.

Also it was fun to put random items on newbie mobs for them to loot

Nice.