PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on luclin?

Roth
02-13-2014, 11:12 PM
Obviously, the common opinion is that luclin is not classic. However, once velious is out that's the end really. There will be no more content. I think part of what makes an mmo fun is just the concept or idea in your head that there will be more eventually. People want to keep raiding and gearing because they know some day velious will be out and there will be new challenges.

For nostalgia, luclin wouldn't be good. It changes a lot of things and starts to move away from classic eq to modern eq. But my question is: if you are playing project 1999 as a game, ignoring the nostalgia factor, but as an mmo because you like it as an mmo... would luclin make project 1999 the game better or worse overall?

More or less, project 1999 is the last place to play real everquest. Live is so butchered after 25 expansions that the game is not recognizable anymore. It is literally not everquest anymore. So if you want to play everquest, project 1999 is the last place. If luclin was to come to project 1999 in 3-4 years, would it be good or bad and why? I know there are probably a lot of bad reasons, I'm just curious to hear the negatives.

SwordNboard
02-13-2014, 11:16 PM
..project 1999 is the last place to play real everquest..luclin..bad ..

loramin
02-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Not worth discussing, as the devs have stated, in no uncertain terms, that there will be no Luclin on Project 1999.

Now, once Velious (and all the patches after it like the Kunark Goblin Revamp) is complete, the have hinted at the possibility of custom content. And since they'll probably use some of the un-used zones from the Titanium pack as the basis for any custom content, that might mean that we get to see a custom version of a Luclin zone or two. But that's as close as we're going to get.

Roth
02-13-2014, 11:17 PM
What I'm asking is, does luclin ruin everquest? This is just a thought I had driving home because tbh I do miss some of luclin, I just wanted to hear the reasons why.

loramin
02-13-2014, 11:20 PM
I just wanted to hear the reasons why.

I'd do some forum searching. I'm pretty sure the main issue that has been mentioned is that the lead developer has a (rational? irrational?) hatred for cats on the moon, and has vowed to never allow them in P99. Others have also expressed concerns with the spires, the pauldal caverns, and the bazaar destroying various aspects of classic EQ

NextGenesis88
02-13-2014, 11:22 PM
Completely goes against why this server was made and why we sought out to find one like this. I think it's absolutely silly to think about adding Luclin and further because after all most people say that's when what they have come to know and love was starting to be taken away or started to fade. For a huge amount of people "classic" and "pre-luclin" were the absolute selling points.

Bottom line, if people want to continue further and will be dissapointed when it doesn't then you should be playing on a different server knowing this ahead of time.

jaybone
02-13-2014, 11:22 PM
I believe luclin has too many no drops so loramin is against this as it hurts his RMT

Roth
02-13-2014, 11:23 PM
I'd do some forum searching. I'm pretty sure the main issue that has been mentioned is that the lead developer has an (rational? irrational?) hatred for cats on the moon, and has vowed to never allow them in P99. Others have also expressed concerns with the spires, the pauldal caverns, and the bazaar destroying various aspects of classic EQ

I mainly just wanted to start an open discussion on it. Basically whether or not eq with luclin or without it is a better game overall, for curiosity sake.

SwordNboard
02-13-2014, 11:23 PM
Yes it ruins EQ. It totally pulls you off of Norrath. I believe expansions should always build on the original content or uncover lost and deeper parts of it. Luclin is basically EQ 2.0.. New zones for 1-65, not just more raid content. Game changing features like PoK and bazaar that ruin social interaction. Do we really have to answer to another one of these posts?

NextGenesis88
02-13-2014, 11:26 PM
This server is meant to be in the glory days and in it's prime so if it doesn't fall into these categories then it should not happen.

Sirken
02-13-2014, 11:26 PM
luclin = the devil

rollin5k
02-13-2014, 11:27 PM
Stop it

Lojik
02-13-2014, 11:30 PM
luclin = the devil

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/puddy-devil.gif

Leopaz
02-13-2014, 11:54 PM
Luclin is actually my fav expansion. I wouldn't mind somehow playin' it again some day.

NextGenesis88
02-14-2014, 12:04 AM
Luclin is actually my fav expansion. I wouldn't mind somehow playin' it again some day.

I'm sure you could somewhere else yeah? I am not sure if there are any that stop at Luclin, but maybe PoP?

SamwiseRed
02-14-2014, 12:05 AM
I didnt mind spires since there was a wait time. hated mounts and new models (most of them, i did like the new iksar ones.) bazaar was great since i hated ec tunnel trading and would rather just buy something and be done with it. beastlords one of the most fun classes ive ever played. didnt care much for vah shir. didnt like most of the new zones. im indifferent to AAs, i think some of them were cool but most of them were just filler. i would have rather seen a handful of good aas then hundreds of bs ones.

i actually think the pok was the devil in PoP, altho PoP was the first expansion where i actually thought raiding was fun.

Ciel
02-14-2014, 12:06 AM
I really enjoyed Luclin. Beastlords were badass! Also the expansion I started raiding on live. Umbral Planes, Ssra Temple, Acrylia Caverns etc some of my favorite raids

Game changing features like PoK

hmm...

stewe
02-14-2014, 12:09 AM
Luclin is the Apocalypse, not gonna happen on this server so if u want to play luclin start looking at other places.

Raelador
02-14-2014, 12:13 AM
It'd be cool to have custom content that dropped the luclin armor and weapons, but yeah Bazaar and Paudal Caverns are game-changers not to mention the zones just aren't classic feeling.

One expansion that might be good to base custom content around is LDoN. It was cool how it used the camps around the world and they would send groups to dungeons and stuff in different zones. I always remember that being great for social interaction.

Iumuno
02-14-2014, 12:17 AM
Luclin is the expansion where zone design with no polish/lore/immersion started. So, generally speaking, it's the end of the "good" everquest, even though I thought PoP had a lot of work into it.

The good stuff: the Bazaar (personal taste, trading never was a huge part of why I enjoyed playing the game), breathing room in the raiding game, and finally and mostly, AAs, even though I do agree they raise the entry barrier for new players, and it's an undesirable side effect..

So maybe some stuff could be taken in and the bad stuff left out.

baalzy
02-14-2014, 12:54 AM
Add in beastlords, h2h weapons & implement the most powerful of AAs as abilities gained through epic quests.
Skip the rest of luclin (including the cats).
Then custom content PoP with mobs scaled for lvl 60.

Clark
02-14-2014, 01:06 AM
LUCLIN IS GREAT

Millburn
02-14-2014, 01:24 AM
So bare with me on this...

It's been stated before that Luclin will not happen, it's also been stated that there might be custom content added to the server post velious. So here's my idea...what if custom content would just be implementing Luclin with all the shit we hate about it torn out? That would be pretty freaking awesome if you ask me.

Vega
02-14-2014, 01:32 AM
It'd be cool to have custom content that dropped the luclin armor and weapons, but yeah Bazaar and Paudal Caverns are game-changers not to mention the zones just aren't classic feeling.

One expansion that might be good to base custom content around is LDoN. It was cool how it used the camps around the world and they would send groups to dungeons and stuff in different zones. I always remember that being great for social interaction.

LDoN was a good shot in the arm for social interaction. But it's a little odd to say that Bazaar and PC are game-changers, but then mention adding the expansion that brought in augs.

Babizul
02-14-2014, 01:32 AM
Add in beastlords, h2h weapons & implement the most powerful of AAs as abilities gained through epic quests.
Skip the rest of luclin (including the cats).
Then custom content PoP with mobs scaled for lvl 60.

HeallunRumblebelly
02-14-2014, 02:54 AM
But the most powerful AAs were boring as shit, like CA and CD :P

Fame
02-14-2014, 03:05 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6573mORCs1qco187o1_1280.jpg

Zapatos
02-14-2014, 03:46 AM
With as top heavy and greedy as this server is, being able to complete your Emp and VT keys would be a absolute nightmare for the first few months,

"WTS AC vt shard loot rights, 100k pp. I'm all jacked up on mountain dew, I'm gonna be here forever!"

Xelris
02-14-2014, 04:40 AM
"WTS AC vt shard loot rights, 100k pp. I'm all jacked up on mountain dew, I'm gonna be here forever!"

Ah, you mean like Guk and Droga now.

Galacticus
02-14-2014, 04:44 AM
http://a.gifb.in/072011/1310121676_angry_wrestler.gif

NextGenesis88
02-14-2014, 04:54 AM
I did partake in a bit of LDoN stuff and at the time I really did like it. I'm not sure of what % I have experienced, but I liked how they added camps in old zones and to me it did feel like a social experience. I liked going around talking with people trying to get a crew together and such. This is just speaking purely of my experience of it and not whether it hurt the game or not or whether it should be added. I don't think it was very detrimental because it was meant to be strictly group content. And who doesn't like a whole dungeon to yourself where nobody can come through ahead of you or take things out and make things super easy. I like tough content and I like grouping content. For me it was nice and helped me learn to play my bard better at the time with certain aspects I didn't previously dive into enough. And dungeon crawling is fun, exciting and heart pounding. I did fail a bunch of them.

Fireapple
02-14-2014, 07:09 AM
But... I like AA's :[

odiecat99
02-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Didnt read any of this.

no.

NO.

Sirken
02-14-2014, 09:39 AM
and for the record, brad or salim said its pronounced Luck-Lin

Daldaen
02-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Loose-lin. Sorry. The designers were wrong.

Asap
02-14-2014, 09:47 AM
I say it like "lew-clin

Swish
02-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Luclin; pronounciation (-cattus on teh mewn)

contemptor
02-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Loose-lin. Sorry. The designers were wrong.
I don't think I'll ever be able to pronounce it any differently.

I liked parts of Luclin, but it did mess up the game a bit. AAs do get to be a barrier, but they do make it enticing to actually still play your main.

Trebeh
02-14-2014, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=loramin;1320684]Now, once Velious (and all the patches after it like the Kunark Goblin Revamp) is complete, the have hinted at the possibility of custom content. And since they'll probably use some of the un-used zones from the Titanium pack as the basis for any custom content, that might mean that we get to see a custom version of a Luclin zone or two.

This is what I would LOVE to see.

BahamutDF
02-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Luclin was fun to me only because it was the moon. I'm a sci-fi/space neckbeard, so even back then just the thought of playing on this lost moon was appealing. With that said, it began the systematic destruction of EQ so the appealing aspects are overshadowed by the fail.

Paludal Caverns irreversibly borked the old world leveling process; the moon had half baked lore and didn't feel like the rest of the game, personally I never liked AA's whatsoever, Beastlords and Vah Shir were completely meh for me, Bazaar borked trading removing any social interaction, Nexus borked the old world hangouts and created one big faction neutral hub where faction was irrelevant completely (unlike Velious) which was lame for obvious reasons. Nthx.

In short, just say no to Luclin (I always pronounced it Lucky-Lews-alin-line) and find it on another server if you're interested.

Swish
02-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Putting it out there then. After Velious... how would you guys have expanded EQ? What should SOE have done?

Origin
02-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Yes. Release it asap.

Nydosa
02-14-2014, 10:47 AM
I posted this is another forum, but I still think that making the world feel more round would be an awesome change.

What if Luclin were an island between Odus and Faydwer? I always found it a little silly that there was no trade route in that direction, whether it be another continent or just an ocean.

1) Beastlords could certainly be balanced to be more old-world (Pets default to low level on zoning, and beef-up with buff. Also, no haste spell at 60!)
2) Luclin-zones would need a lot of terrible models removed (ones that animate worse than a fish out of water)
3) Odus really needs some love as a continent, and it could be a great way to add more content over there.
4) NO Vah-Shir, but Kerrans are a very underutilized civilization that could replace them throughout Luclin.
5) No teleporting, bazaar, and removal of Norrath in the sky would all be required as well

I wonder how hard it would be to even replace some of the Luclin zone textures with old-world textures... might look terrible, but maybe I'll mess with it. Not even sure that'd fly here, but at least some new content to look forward to!

BahamutDF
02-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Putting it out there then. After Velious... how would you guys have expanded EQ? What should SOE have done?

The idea of PoP being released as zones branching off of fitting zones in pre-existing Norrath is fantastic. It would have been a cold day in hell before I released a zone like PoK in a game like Everquest. Unless it was just this cool flavor zone that conferred no real benefit.

Byrjun
02-14-2014, 11:01 AM
What I'm asking is, does luclin ruin everquest? This is just a thought I had driving home because tbh I do miss some of luclin, I just wanted to hear the reasons why.

Kunark and Velious was really just more of the same classic EQ.

Luclin tried to change things up a lot, and it either succeeded very well or failed very hard. AAs were great, Ssra was one of the best raid dungeons in EQ, there were some really good quests / spell designs.

But from a design perspective I thought the zones were incredibly boring, and the vah shir race was kinda lame.

They tried to speed up leveling to 60 so people could get into end game and AAs, which meant everyone moved to boring places like Paludal and away from the cool classic dungeons. And this was relatively easy, considering the portal system. It wasn't better than druid/wizard ports, but it was usually a bit more convenient. The same could be said of the bazaar, it shifted the game away from player to player interaction for the sake of convenience.

And then there was the whole design philosophy, which went way wrong. Everything took so much time, by increasing raid mob HP, decreasing the amount of player DPS, requiring ridiculous amounts of keying, or in the worst cases (Lord Inquisitor Seru), all three.

So if I could change some things...

Keep AAs, they were a great way to progress and diversify classes even further. However, I would stagger their release more than Luclin did since they trivialized the fuck out of Velious content. All those tanking and healing and other AAs all at once made Velious raid encounters a joke that any guild could do.

Increase Luclin portal times to go off about as often as boats arrive at docks.

No playable Vah Shir. I don't care much about Beastlords, but neither did anyone else so maybe buff them a bit somehow if they are implemented.

Overall, Ssra was great but some of the loot was a bit off (did we really need like 8 SK/Paladin weapons?). Maybe improve some of the encounters like XTC and Arch Lich, somehow I feel like those encounters were supposed to be more difficult than they ended up being. Cursed, High Priest, and Ssra were some of the best raid encounters in EQ, and keying was alright except getting an entire raid guild the piece from Emp Portal was a bit tedious.

Get rid of bane weapons, or at least make them much easier to complete.

No Luclin models. No horses.

Sanctus Seru was a really cool zone that no one used because it was pointless besides keying for LIS. I'd revamp it to make it a fun place to exp. Also, fuck the LIS key quest. And fuck LIS in general, dude was awesome but his fight was stupid.

Vex Thal: This zone was a fucking mess. The key quest was awful, so increase the drop rate on all that shit. Now, cut the HP on all the mobs by at least half. Then give the raid mobs interesting abilities so it didn't feel like you were fighting the same gimp boss over and over again. Seriously, this shit was a huge let down after the awesomeness that was the Emp Ssra fight. It's like VT was thrown together in 10 minutes and never play tested because they needed an end-game raid zone (pretty common in EQ actually, but this was the biggest stinker). This is what really ruined the expansion for me.

A good example of the "loot problem" in Luclin was the several events in Acrylia Caverns that were really hard but really fun. The problem is that no one did them because the loot was shit compared to the difficulty. VT geared guilds were wiping on this stuff for glorified ntov loot. The Ring of Fire was so difficult they eventually removed it from the game, yet it dropped items like this:

http://zam.zamimg.com/images/0/f/0fa2cffa489daab0db688d70bbd17640.png

And finally, like Sanctus Seru, make the zones interesting. How many people have interesting stories from Marus Seru, The Scarlet Desert, Echo Caverns, Grimling Forest, Hollowshade Moor, etc? No one - and a similar amount of people most likely never went to these zones unless they were doing their VT key or had to get to a connecting zone. I've seen these zones used well on custom servers - they can be fun, but the biggest disconnect between Velious and Luclin was how uninteresting and dead the world felt. Comparing those two expansions in that regard is like night and day.

koros
02-14-2014, 11:10 AM
I like Luclin a lot. It definitely started to change EQ a lot, but classes were more balanced during it than most other parts of classic eq.

It definitely had it's problems - a lot of boring/useless zones, shitty model overhaul, timesink key quests, ridiculous mob AC and obviously unfinished content.

Every class in Luclin was half-decent. Casters finally got gear upgrades that mattered. AAs fleshed out classes pretty nicely. There was plenty of grinding to do at max level. Single group "raid" content (burrower). Cool (in theory) scripts that drastically modified zones for a time. Ring wars, cool quests, etc.

Also, I liked the lore. Vampires, faction power struggles, a continuation of the storyline of race that enslaved the Iksar, mysterious two faced citizens of Katta, etc. Velious faction wars were fun, but damn were they "generic" giant vs dragon/dwarf. I don't get the hatred for cat people, but no one bats an eye over frogloks or lizard people.

Nydosa
02-14-2014, 11:16 AM
I don't get the hatred for cat people, but no one bats an eye over frogloks or lizard people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PGTuTiyEXw

a) They have no rotational turning animation
b) They run like they crapped their pants
c) They attack like they're toasting someone and and then their hand rolls back like a dropped tape measure
d) Like all Luclin-models, they have more in common with Gargoyles when sitting than the fidgeting old-world models
e) They're locked in a permanent kung-fu stance for no reason
f) Those who liked the old-world models are stuck seeing these god-awful models running around, compounded by the fact they're named Kitty Pawpaw

Frogloks are not a whole lot better, but at least most people get sick of the hopping after a while...heh.

Iksars were at least animated similarly to the old-world models, and were done as right as an animal-man model could be.

koros
02-14-2014, 11:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PGTuTiyEXw

a) They have no rotational turning animation
b) They run like they crapped their pants
c) They attack like they're toasting someone and and then their hand rolls back like a dropped tape measure
d) Like all Luclin-models, they have more in common with Gargoyles when sitting than the fidgeting old-world models
e) They're locked in a permanent kung-fu stance for no reason
f) Those who liked the old-world models are stuck seeing these god-awful models running around, compounded by the fact they're named Kitty Pawpaw

Frogloks are not a whole lot better, but at least most people get sick of the hopping after a while...heh.

Iksars were at least animated similarly to the old-world models, and were done as right as a animal-man model could be.

Fair enough. But that's more a byproduct of the models being shit. Also you're spot on with the name thing.

Dakidd4990
02-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Am I the only person who's favorite era of EQ was PoP and OoW?

Lisset
02-14-2014, 12:11 PM
I thought Luclin was a 50/50 expansion, half good half bad.

I liked the nexus because there were only 4 places to go and you still had to wait.

I actually liked the bazaar, but could take it or leave it.

I LOVED aa.

I liked horses too.

On the other hand, hated the new zones, race and class.

Fuddwin
02-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Yes it ruins EQ. It totally pulls you off of Norrath. I believe expansions should always build on the original content or uncover lost and deeper parts of it. Luclin is basically EQ 2.0.. New zones for 1-65, not just more raid content. Game changing features like PoK and bazaar that ruin social interaction. Do we really have to answer to another one of these posts?

No... No you don't...

Coridan
02-14-2014, 12:22 PM
LDoN was theme park mmo. Just leave it to WoW, EQ2 and SWTOR who focus on that style of play.

Odus. Playable Kerra with an expanded Kerra Isle, add in a couple dungeons, Plane of Underfoot, Barren Coast, etc.

After that? LoY on a bigger scale, better content; maybe do an Oriental continent either across the Abysmal Sea or east of Faydwer, with a new Human city and a Ratonga city. Or do something unique and do a pre-Columbian America based expansion. Discovered by Barbarians who crossed the north pole. A mesoamerican region would be a great place for the Shissar to have fled to.

Gaffin 7.0
02-14-2014, 12:36 PM
naw

Ahldagor
02-14-2014, 12:46 PM
http://mobilis.wordpress.com/files/2007/10/loading-luclin.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d4d9b3edf816415b01d51c917ee3b097/tumblr_mo8t9dE5oi1s7gn7ko1_500.gif

loramin
02-14-2014, 12:53 PM

I'd add:

A way to progress that caps out (none of the "infinite grinding" of AAs); it could be more levels, and/or it could be quest-based AAs, and/or even exp-based AAs, as long as there were only a few
More zones for existing level ranges, especially the higher end since that seems to be over-populated here. The suggestion of Odus or Odus-adjacent souds great to me, plus there are several "zones" mentioned on various EQ maps that never got made, and those seem like perfectly classic places to stick something new
On that note, I personally thought the the pirates expansion (LoY I think?) was great because it basically was just more zones at a classic power tier (incidentally I think that's why it was so unpopular onlive); I'd love to see those zones brought back
Perhaps a bit later on, after Velious raiding gets old, Planes of Power (and maybe some Luclin too) raid zones, all accessible via wizard spells or existing zones
I don't have strong feelings about Beastlords or Frogloks or Berserkers, but if people like 'em and they're balanced I'd be fine with seeing them added
Unlike a lot of people, I think the basic idea of the spires, the bazaar, and the horses were all good ... they were just poorly implemented. I'd love to see more boats (classic but still helps travel without ports), something better than the EC tunnel that still maintains human interaction (no clue what that would be), and some sort of upgrade to JBoots (perhaps with a slightly faster SoW so that the classes that cast it still matter).

fadetree
02-14-2014, 12:56 PM
I liked Luclin for the most part. It wouldn't make me unhappy at all if they dropped it here eventually....yes i know they said they never would.

Rec
02-14-2014, 01:04 PM
luclin sucks

myriverse
02-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Luclin was pretty much the only original thing EverQuest ever had. The only real problem is that it wasn't finished. But meh. Still better than Velious, imo.

BahamutDF
02-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Luclin was pretty much the only original thing EverQuest ever had. The only real problem is that it wasn't finished. But meh. Still better than Velious, imo.

http://i42.tinypic.com/121a29s.gif

Tecmos Deception
02-14-2014, 01:23 PM

Get out.

phacemeltar
02-14-2014, 01:33 PM
if luclin stat-counts were more on par with kunark/velious, and the whole expansion was just more places to go. what i think the problem with luclin is that it made the original content obsolete, outside of xp grinds.

but then, the same could be said for velious.

Daldaen
02-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Byrjun said it best I think.

phacemeltar
02-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Byrjun said it best I think.

ah yes, agreed

Telin
02-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Luclin was a stab to the heart of Norrath. That's how I feel.

Sturgeon
02-14-2014, 01:46 PM
I want Beast Lords

koros
02-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Why does everything seem to think Luclin had rampant mudflation?

Archestratie
02-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Why does everything seem to think Luclin had rampant mudflation?

This item, which dropped like rain in Maiden's Eye single handedly crashed the market on so many 1hs weapons from Kunark/Velious it was sick. After the first week, everyone could buy one of these for 2k or less and after the first month, they were like 600 plat. It was way better than so many other weapons out here and it wrecked so much content all by itself.

http://zam.zamimg.com/images/5/7/57868f39372e1747defc63145961c80a.png

Iumuno
02-14-2014, 02:00 PM
I like Luclin a lot. It definitely started to change EQ a lot, but classes were more balanced during it than most other parts of classic eq.

It definitely had it's problems - a lot of boring/useless zones, shitty model overhaul, timesink key quests, ridiculous mob AC and obviously unfinished content.

Every class in Luclin was half-decent. Casters finally got gear upgrades that mattered. AAs fleshed out classes pretty nicely. There was plenty of grinding to do at max level. Single group "raid" content (burrower). Cool (in theory) scripts that drastically modified zones for a time. Ring wars, cool quests, etc.

Also, I liked the lore. Vampires, faction power struggles, a continuation of the storyline of race that enslaved the Iksar, mysterious two faced citizens of Katta, etc. Velious faction wars were fun, but damn were they "generic" giant vs dragon/dwarf. I don't get the hatred for cat people, but no one bats an eye over frogloks or lizard people.

The lore thing apart, I agree with you for the most part.

The thing is, pretty much everyone seems to agree that apart from some raid events, Luclin content was shit. I do agree with you that gameplay was substantially improved, namely class balance, caster gear and aas.

We don't necessarily need Luclin for that though.

koros
02-14-2014, 02:14 PM
This item, which dropped like rain in Maiden's Eye single handedly crashed the market on so many 1hs weapons from Kunark/Velious it was sick. After the first week, everyone could buy one of these for 2k or less and after the first month, they were like 600 plat. It was way better than so many other weapons out here and it wrecked so much content all by itself.

And that weapon is worse than a jade mace or a lammy mainhand. Marginally better offhand. Again, why is that an issue?

Daldaen
02-14-2014, 02:15 PM

Centi longsword was absurdly rare. The shortsword was stupidly common but less useful.

Gonna call BS on longsword being 600 pp at any point in time...

Crede
02-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Am I the only person who's favorite era of EQ was PoP and OoW?

From a raiding perspective, I would agree with you. Classic raids don't have shit on them. Time was great, Anguish was nearly perfection.

Daldaen
02-14-2014, 02:50 PM
From a raiding perspective, I would agree with you. Classic raids don't have shit on them. Time was great, Anguish was nearly perfection.

Anguish was an awesome zone. Stuff going on in each event and the final event was challenging as hell when current

DemiPlane was the shit too. So many awesome mechanics in that zone and the final fight was probably in the top 3~ most epic fights I think. Behind Triunity 1.0 and the Sleeper.

Time had some decent mechanics but it was still just a CH-chain, corner tank fest. Which is sort of boring, but alpha-PoTime was interesting with all it's bugs.

koros
02-14-2014, 02:50 PM
The lore thing apart, I agree with you for the most part.

The thing is, pretty much everyone seems to agree that apart from some raid events, Luclin content was shit. I do agree with you that gameplay was substantially improved, namely class balance, caster gear and aas.

We don't necessarily need Luclin for that though.

Luclin had a lot of zones that no one ever really went to, because they weren't interesting or well itemized. But to be fair, so did classic/Kunark (albeit to a much lesser extent). Looting random mobs you killed in Luclin was very-anticlimactic, except maybe in Maiden's eye. Every other random npc drop seemed to be some no drop or non stackable that a merchant would give you 1g 2s and that had no other use.

Velious was damn impressive that almost every zone in it had something interesting.

That said, I agree Luclin's group content wasn't great. I mostly grinded AA's in seb/velk/solb/dragon necropolis/HS. I guess it was the inclusion of AA and new spells/quests that I liked most about it (outside of decent raid content). With intelligent mob design/customization, Luclin lore/zones have a lot of potential tho.

melkortshea
02-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Among all the other issues people mentioned Luclin's graphics and art just did not match the rest of the world. yes it was the moon but it always seemed like you were in a different game and not EQ.

I love the idea of the Devs creating content and maybe adding some of the zones that were on the map but never created.

I also think that after all the hard work they put into replicating the EQ classic experience that it might be a nice change for them to finally be free to build upon what the recreated.

Over all it's not the question of what would SOE have done but more like what would Verant have done ?

To me they should not add to much realistate to the game as that just thins out populations. The trick is to add some zones but mostly focus on adding to the lands that already exist.

Once the devs reach a point where they feel the players have been through all the material after Velious have been released they can just add new camps in current zones and maybe have a dungeon "discovered" or maybe build onto an existing dungeon.

Bottom line is let's keep the art work classic and the classes classic and just build upon what's already there.

Crede
02-14-2014, 03:01 PM
DemiPlane was the shit too. So many awesome mechanics in that zone and the final fight was probably in the top 3~ most epic fights I think. Behind Triunity 1.0 and the Sleeper.

Yea, Demi was great, and remember that Queen fight trying to get keyed for it? Damn! You really had to have your shit together. Nothin' like Hatchet in Demi calling out somebodies name and if you didn't run the whole raid would nearly wipe and the guild could call you out for being a slacker.

Agno
02-14-2014, 04:27 PM
the pauldal caverns....destroying various aspects of classic EQ

It was such a good zone. Nothing like being able to progress from 5-25 in the same zone! Many hours, many alts, and many friends experienced in this area of the game.

Daldaen
02-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Yea, Demi was great, and remember that Queen fight trying to get keyed for it? Damn! You really had to have your shit together. Nothin' like Hatchet in Demi calling out somebodies name and if you didn't run the whole raid would nearly wipe and the guild could call you out for being a slacker.

Sendaii was a great endurance fight.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aekkukHS7HA

You can see my Druid at some point in that video... But damn that night was crazy. A snow Storm had rolled in and I had school off the next day due to it, so I was able to stay up "late" for that kill, probably at like 1-2 AM. I died 7-8 times through out the fight. A few of them the clerics were stupid and rezzes me into an AE...

NirrtiXXX
02-14-2014, 04:32 PM
I actually liked luclin.... I am not sure what the hate for it is. I never made mcuh for rides on my druid anyhow. Frankly I think the game took a downturn after LDoN. Also some of the old models look a tad blocky :P

Mac Dretti
02-14-2014, 04:34 PM
All I care about after velious is halfling/gnome hybrids

justin2090
02-14-2014, 05:11 PM
This server is meant to be in the glory days and in it's prime so if it doesn't fall into these categories then it should not happen.

I can't wait to see what the development staff scheme up for post velious custom content. I believe they could re-release luclin and do it right. Probably shouldn't call it luclin tho if we aren't going to the moon. Kerra Island, Beastlords, custom AA's, new dungeons/raids, lets go!

Psionide
02-14-2014, 05:15 PM
How do these Luclin and beyond threads ever make it past one page?

Swish
02-14-2014, 05:20 PM

Get used to them, the same people who keep making Velious threads will be bored after 2-3 weeks and making demands again :rolleyes:

Teerian
02-14-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm always amused by all of the Luclin hate I see, especially from people here on P1999. I think most of it comes from the fact that Luclin changed a lot of things (as mentioned before, AA's, mounts, etc), and people tend to be resistant to change. That said, it was not a bad expansion. I thoroughly enjoyed it just as much as what most others deem "original EQ" (up to Velious). Sure, it had some unpolished aspects such as Acrylia Caverns events, but so did the expansions before. Even before Sony really took hold of the reigns, the policy for EQ expansions seemed to be along the lines of release it as soon as it's 'playable' and patch the rest later.

If you're looking for the true killer of EQ, look towards things like Lost Dungeons of Norrath and Legacy of Ykesha. Those so-called expansions were repetitive, dull, and seemingly thrown together in a half-assed manner. I'm always surprised when I see someone praise either in even the slightest.

EQ could have ended and wrapped up fine with Planes of Power. Yes, Plane of Time's ending was kind of a kick in the nuts, but it also made sense considering the whole time travel idea. I'm sure they could have continued on with a meaningful story line even after PoP, but the direction they went in is what killed it. Omens of War and Gates of Discord made less sense than the cats on the moon idea everyone seems opposed to.

While I doubt it would ever happen, I wouldn't complain about seeing Luclin or even Planes of Power on Project 1999. I would, however, like to see it limited in some way. Making it a kind of custom content MUCH later in the future would be cool, but perhaps as either a second server that you can copy a max-level character to after you feel you've 'retired' from Velious (assuming Rogean and crew could afford to start and maintain another), or perhaps have all AA's/mounts/other Luclin+ additions switched off for Velious and older. I suspect this would be a coding nightmare, but at least there wouldn't be a timeline to follow anymore.

radditsu
02-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Luclin best expansion, Deal with it.

fadetree
02-14-2014, 07:37 PM
I'm always amused by all of the Luclin hate I see, especially from people here on P1999. I think most of it comes from the fact that Luclin changed a lot of things (as mentioned before, AA's, mounts, etc), and people tend to be resistant to change. That said, it was not a bad expansion. I thoroughly enjoyed it just as much as what most others deem "original EQ" (up to Velious). Sure, it had some unpolished aspects such as Acrylia Caverns events, but so did the expansions before. Even before Sony really took hold of the reigns, the policy for EQ expansions seemed to be along the lines of release it as soon as it's 'playable' and patch the rest later.

If you're looking for the true killer of EQ, look towards things like Lost Dungeons of Norrath and Legacy of Ykesha. Those so-called expansions were repetitive, dull, and seemingly thrown together in a half-assed manner. I'm always surprised when I see someone praise either in even the slightest.

EQ could have ended and wrapped up fine with Planes of Power. Yes, Plane of Time's ending was kind of a kick in the nuts, but it also made sense considering the whole time travel idea. I'm sure they could have continued on with a meaningful story line even after PoP, but the direction they went in is what killed it. Omens of War and Gates of Discord made less sense than the cats on the moon idea everyone seems opposed to.

While I doubt it would ever happen, I wouldn't complain about seeing Luclin or even Planes of Power on Project 1999. I would, however, like to see it limited in some way. Making it a kind of custom content MUCH later in the future would be cool, but perhaps as either a second server that you can copy a max-level character to after you feel you've 'retired' from Velious (assuming Rogean and crew could afford to start and maintain another), or perhaps have all AA's/mounts/other Luclin+ additions switched off for Velious and older. I suspect this would be a coding nightmare, but at least there wouldn't be a timeline to follow anymore.

I agree. Actual EQ ended after PoP. Pop was a good, fun expansion and other than ruining the travel experience was a lot of fun. The lore ended there, that shit afterwards was just randomly made up.

Coridan
02-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Luclin ended all old zone leveling though. No one really hunted anywhere but Echo Caverns, Netherbian Lair and Dawnshroud Peaks. It was too big space wise for the server populations. If they had merged servers and reitemized classic before SoL it might have been ok.

RiffDaemon
02-14-2014, 07:43 PM

Because everyone wants to take the opportunity to throw in what he'd be acceptable with, e.g. "I'd be cool with everything up to [Expansion A] but without [feature 1] from [Expansion B] and [feature 2] from [Expansion C] .... and so forth and so on."

drmccollum
02-14-2014, 11:30 PM
I actually really liked Luclin and would like to see it added here in a couple years. I can see where a couple things like the bazaar changed things for the worse, but overall the positives outweighed the negatives.

It was PoP that ruined EQ for me. I disliked the whole idea of the quick travel and it was with PoP that mudflation took a drastic turn for the worse. As a caster, up to level 60, you could take a few hits if you messed up and be ok. After PoP, I found myself face down in my own pool of blood from just a couple hits. I would not play again if PoP went live here as it was implemented on live.

TheRusty
02-15-2014, 07:14 AM
And finally, like Sanctus Seru, make the zones interesting. How many people have interesting stories from Marus Seru, The Scarlet Desert, Echo Caverns, Grimling Forest, Hollowshade Moor, etc? No one - and a similar amount of people most likely never went to these zones unless they were doing their VT key or had to get to a connecting zone.

Not everyone entered Luclin as a NtoV-geared raid guildie. So I can say I played in these zones, and I had fun in... almost all of them. marus Seru is about the worst zone ever designed. ever. And that's counting gates of discord.) Running around Hollowshade trying to jigger the war with my guild, hanging out camping bandits with the (vain) hope our beastlord would be a server first epic, and the Scarlet Desert and Twilight Sea were just frankly gawjuss-looking. And there was the hideous fun / frustration time of farming nameds in the Umbral Plains.

There was plenty of good stuff in the pre-raid section of the expansion, in terms of both content and story (or at least, as far as story ever goes in Everquest...) and while not without its bogus content - including the two worst zones in the entire game, bar none (Marus Seru and Mons Letalis) it was thoroughly enjoyable.

If you came in as a raid-geared 60, in a raid guild, yeah, I can see where the expansion would pass you by - your experience would have pretty much consisted of fighting other groups over three mushrooms in Fungus Caverns for three weeks for AA, then moving on to competing for shards and bane weapon drops.

I've seen these zones used well on custom servers - they can be fun, but the biggest disconnect between Velious and Luclin was how uninteresting and dead the world felt. Comparing those two expansions in that regard is like night and day.

Luclin's big flaw was immersion.

First off, it looked very plastic, and the zone design was very clearly using a set palette across the board. Velious armor textures were abandoned for the new models, when a better idea would have been to update them and add new Luclin textures. It was also jarring to travel between old content and Luclin - you're traveling from a world painted in straight line and angles, and entering one that has discovered curves and circles. A little more individual zone design would have been an excellent direction. I can't rag on the new models, since the old ones aren't exactly eyecandy either.

Second - and this is actually huge - it was mostly silent. There's some cued ambient noise - crickets, rocks falling, tavern noises, wind and water... but they all started abruptly and ended just as abruptly when you left the cue area. But worst of all? There's no music. Unless VT has some, at least - I never made it there - the only music is some nasty stuff in Grieg's End. I think one of the reasons I hold a soft spot for Scarlet Desert is because I played the soundtrack from the Sci-Fi channel dune movies when I hunted there.

I liked Luclin. It was odd, but it was mostly good - the bazaar was wretched (though admittedly convenient) and Paludal set EQ down the path towards its modern system of everyone having the same newbie zone... but still, mostly good.

In fact i think Everquest kept being pretty strong right up until Gates of Discord - that was the expansion that took a hatchet to Everquest. Aside from all the rampant bugs and failed QA, it was just bad content - drab, and catered exclusively to progression raiders - an the one bone thrown to non-raiding players was a class so broken as to be unplayable for another two expansions. Omens of War was almost good... but then DoN, DoD, and Prophecy of Ro just made it all feel like SoE was secretly working for Blizzard.

Brut
02-15-2014, 09:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PGTuTiyEXwrunning around, compounded by the fact they're named Kitty Pawpaw
Thousand billion times this.

All the zones looked awful, too. Compare solusek A to Akheva ruins and you should get the idea. Dungeons in classic EQ were mostly confusing and had good visible landmarks scattered all over. Velious they already start having a couple of places that are just copy pasted hallways (see: skyshrine, sleepers, ToV). Luclin they were basically all that. There could be tops two interesting spots there like some big invisible bridge over a huge chasm, but everything else would just be a continuous cave going down with mobs scattered at convenient intervals. VT looks like they literally made one quarter of a zone and then copied it over 4 times.

Grizzled
02-15-2014, 01:15 PM
The only thing needed from luclin is AA's and beastlord class. Forget the cat race period. there are plenty of options by default for beastlord class. LDON was nice for the point of being able to tweak gear, as well as blending into the old world real well. Epic style quests for the V2 planes is a good idea. Maybe even work in epic quests to unlock levels 61-65. Some of these quest need to involve large amounts of platinum. With the server creating money 24/7, it needs a way to destroy it. Tribute would be another way, and not like sony did it. Tribute needs set up by diety. Each having unique things players would want. The many cleric temples across norrath would gladly take monetary donations, and bless you with tribute time. This would also tie in some faction grinding and faction flopping much like in the velious expansion.

rafaone
02-15-2014, 03:09 PM
I like Luclin in the overall, I think it could be great with some modifications:

- Disable Bazaar.
- Spire porting - delay it to 45 mins.
- Disable Paludal XP bonus.

Raiding in PoP was great aswell, but the click'in'the'book idea was lame. I want to point out here that every expasion has it's pros and cons, it's just bad to say hey, luclin is hell. lol

Tubben
02-15-2014, 03:13 PM
luclin = the devil

Vex Thal was cool.

Daldaen
02-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Shei Vinitras was probably the best fight in Luclin. Some of the AC ring events and Deep raids were unique too. Ssra Emperor and High Priest were solid fights too.

BahamutDF
02-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Luclin + Project1999

http://mlpg.co/v/src/1359958785074.gif

dankzilla
02-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Luclin + Project1999

http://mlpg.co/v/src/1359958785074.gif

Bronies are worse than anything Luclin has to offer

Siffas
02-15-2014, 04:49 PM
I agree. Actual EQ ended after PoP. Pop was a good, fun expansion and other than ruining the travel experience was a lot of fun. The lore ended there, that shit afterwards was just randomly made up.

I still play eq in its current state, but I absolutely agree.

Quineloe
02-15-2014, 04:56 PM
I think Bazaar is superior to any kind of auction house, but EC tunnel bartering still trumps it.

centi LS was considerably common, especially since ME was camped hard all day. It's not as good as a jade mace? Big deal, since it was still an excellent weapon at a fraction of the price and effort to obtain.

The zones really, really sucked. I remember every single zone of velious, kunark, antonica, faydwer and odus by name and layout. Luclin? Terrible zones.
The world also becomes just too large.

Nexus spires obviously are not classic.

gprater
02-15-2014, 08:48 PM
not reading all 10 pages of posts so if this has been said then so be it. Lets assume Velious is opened this year and then the Devs/owners do nothing else as stated years ago. Eventually the server will dwindle down to a couple hundred die hard pathetic people who refuse to let go of their EQ:) So, no the server wouldnt be "ruined" by cats on the moon or whatever non sense words people use. Truth-be-known, I would almost bet my left nut that their are 2x as many p99 players who tolerated or even liked Luclin than not.

So, options the way I see it. Devs do as above. They dig in and move ahead with luclin. They re-do this server from beginning. They do nothing and let the project end.

I liked luclin and all other expacks up to the one just past the ones that introduced the drakkin or whatever they were.

and the great thing about opinions and assholes...we all have one.

I wont be checking back on this thread. Just wanted to get my post count up some :)

radditsu
02-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Cats on the moon= best thing that has ever happened. Only gripe=no zone with a cheese mining consortium in it.

Swish
02-15-2014, 09:46 PM
People saying no to Luclin in 2014 will be saying yes to something Luclin related in 2016. Whether Nilbog and pals will want to add anything else in like that or go for some custom content is another matter.

I liked the AA system :p

BahamutDF
02-15-2014, 09:52 PM
I liked the AA system :p

You must have played a Ranger.

"Yay! I can r be a useful! Shucks, i has been a playin by muhself 4 so long, da hurp"

=P

Sidelle
02-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Luclin...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2P4Ki0gRkC8/To-JSNZQsUI/AAAAAAAADb8/OJ1k03B4_74/s1600/hated-it_o_GIFSoup.com.gif

TheRusty
02-16-2014, 03:08 AM
Bronies are worse than anything Luclin has to offer

I've been to Bronycon, and I've been to Mons Letalis.

I disagree with you vigorously, good sir.

...More because ML is just that fucking godawful, 'cause Bronycon damn near turned me off the entire franchise... but yeah, there ARE worse things.

Kayso
02-16-2014, 05:21 AM
Not that i would or wouldn't want to see it, but Luclin would be absolutely toxic on this server.

Once Velious comes out, and assuming the Class C guilds get ST keys at a reasonably similar rate, they'll at least need to play nice until one of them has enough primals and can fuck over the rest.

In Luclin, the cockblock is so easy to do and there'd be no real reason for the Class C guilds to do anything else but to race there and try to get it done first.

odiecat99
02-16-2014, 10:22 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Clark
02-17-2014, 05:51 AM
YES PLZ.

Breeziyo
02-17-2014, 07:21 AM
give beastlords

fuck literally everything else

i want my scaled wolf pet

Sturgeon
02-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Beast Lords! Yes please! I want my Troll and Croc pet!

Faerie
02-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Luclin was a mostly good expansion. I vote yes on Luclin, with the following changes made from "classic" Luclin:

1. The Nexus must be a PvP zone. Having zones where PvP is not allowed is moronic.
2. No porting up every 15 minutes from Norrath. The only way to get to Nexus (without a port class around) should be waiting at the giant DL spire, where it ports up once every 1.5 hours.
3. No bazaar zone.
4. No horses.

Also wtb berserker class and froglok race.

Oh and gnome paladins/SKs and halfling paladins/rangers are necessary.

fadetree
02-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Halfling 'rangers' are not only not necessary, they are abominations straight from hell, and should all be killed on sight.

Faerie
02-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Halfling 'rangers' are not only not necessary, they are abominations straight from hell, and should all be killed on sight.

I certainly used to kill them on sight! :P

But you really can't deny their inherent awesomeness.

Claytonhowell
02-17-2014, 11:22 AM
I think that the spires in Luclin where not as bad as everybody remember. Do remember that there was a drastic reduction in greedy ass druids almost instantly as they all rage quit. On my server when Wiz port was standard 10p and more if you felt like it but 95% of the druids demanded 100-300p. When the standard price for a epic click was 100p if the cleric had to travel to say Umbral Planes 300 if it was somewhere out of the way :P

Ihova
02-17-2014, 12:20 PM
I have not been on this server long, but, I would like to see
it go all the way up to PoP.

Not quickly mind you, Like at least a year b/w expansions updates.
Then after the last release has been out for 2 years, retire the server
and restart the cycle again.

I would not mind the second time around if the dev's wanted to add
some their own homegrown ideas to each expansion.

(This would be like 4 more years for this cycle before it would restart.)
In this way instead ever messing with an alt could role different classes
next time through.
Alot of time to devote to the game, but I like the game as a hobby.

Lojik
02-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Like at least a year b/w expansions updates.

This will never happen

Ihova
02-17-2014, 12:49 PM
This will never happen

Anything is possible heh.

But why not likely?

Ihova
02-17-2014, 12:52 PM
But, as far as Luclin is concerned, the only thing I did not like is
the bazaar. If they turned that feature off I'd be fine. It hurt socialization
and people willing to help others.

(FYI spires are not that bad, druid ports were still awesome b/c spires took what 10 or 15mins
b/w uses and there were only a handful.)

Raiding though, well that might be kinda hard on people b/c of keys making choke points,
but if spawn cycles are moved up like now it would not matter as much. Keys were the
hard part of luclin raiding. Getting everyone keyed for emperor of ssra, then vt, then also
getting key/weapon for seru. Only 7 targets (maybe 8) that did not require keys. IMO though
keying was fun, it meant seeing all of the zones even lower ones to complete.

Sturgeon
02-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Spires would make Red99 fun I think but I could see the QQ of people camping Spires.

Ihova
02-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Even if people camped the spires on red would not make to much of a difference, you just got to get the item and then can come back to the spires just before the timer goes off.

Coridan
02-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Anything is possible heh.

But why not likely?

Spawns, pathing, quests are all done by hand, by a small team. An expansion the size of Luclin would take 4 years. On the other hand, ondividual zone releases (stonebrunt, jaggedpine, warrens) could be released every 3-4 months

Ihova
02-17-2014, 11:59 PM
Ah kk.
Then in that case I would not mind seeing it in 4 years and then pop in 4 years? lol

DevGrousis
02-18-2014, 02:31 AM
Am I the only one who does NOT want to see Luclin, but wants PoP? Luclin was terrible, IMO. Vah Shir were a silly race to add, spire auto port was dumb, and the bazaar, i wont even mention the Bazaar. Spires and Bazaar were the first huge steps AWAY from Everquest, towards a different kind of modern game. I didn't care for the massive Luclin zones, or low end content it brought either, because it killed the entire low end newbie zones.

PoK however did bring something immensely useful. A high end content that was extremely challenging, very cool, and for me, an expansion on the coolest part of the game that i loved back in 2000: Lore of the gods.

What PoP brought that I despised, was the book travel. If they could skip Luclin all together, launch PoP without the use of book travel, that would epicly ideal for me. An idea on ridding PoP of book travel all together obviously cant fly because you have to be able to get to the PoK somehow. So the idea i came up with is this: make PoK accessable through books from Norrath, but you can only go back through the book you came from. So people essentially cant use it for travel around Norrath. You can only use it to go from Norrath, to PoK, and back to where you came.. That'd be cool.

anyways, thats just my 2cents, and I know most wont agree.

Faerie
02-18-2014, 02:36 AM
Am I the only one who does NOT want to see Luclin, but wants PoP? Luclin was terrible, IMO. Vah Shir were a silly race to add, spire auto port was dumb, and the bazaar, i wont even mention the Bazaar. Spires and Bazaar were the first huge steps AWAY from Everquest, towards a different kind of modern game. I didn't care for the massive Luclin zones, or low end content it brought either, because it killed the entire low end newbie zones.

PoK however did bring something immensely useful. A high end content that was extremely challenging, very cool, and for me, an expansion on the coolest part of the game that i loved back in 2000: Lore of the gods.

What PoP brought that I despised, was the book travel. If they could skip Luclin all together, launch PoP without the use of book travel, that would epicly ideal for me. An idea on ridding PoP of book travel all together obviously cant fly because you have to be able to get to the PoK somehow. So the idea i came up with is this: make PoK accessable through books from Norrath, but you can only go back through the book you came from. So people essentially cant use it for travel around Norrath. You can only use it to go from Norrath, to PoK, and back to where you came.. That'd be cool.

anyways, thats just my 2cents, and I know most wont agree.

Luclin had some of the best raids in the game, though you're right about the bazaar and low end stuff. I'd be happy with just Ssra and VT :P

HeallunRumblebelly
02-18-2014, 02:39 AM
Luclin had some of the best raids in the game, though you're right about the bazaar and low end stuff. I'd be happy with just Ssra and VT :P

The Deep, Sanctus Seru, Akheva, UP, ME, revamped CT all damn fine zones. Fungus Grove was...decent, a nice place to do easy AA XP with AOE :p

NextGenesis88
02-18-2014, 03:02 AM
It does feel kinda pointless talking about these things because if any of this is done or even partially, (counting custom content) it would go against the vision and purpose of the server and what the devs/gms/owners strive to achieve. We just need to go along with Velious and see what the server is like after a while. It gets kinda tricky with the fact they wont wipe for a restart because of all the time and effort people put into their characters. Only way this would happen I think is if everybody agreed. I'm not sure a majority rules would work in this case. I would think they would need a wipe if we were to run the timeline again because I can't see how making a second server would be worth it to split the community. I could maybe see if there were enough people for two servers and a ton of people wanted Luclin and PoP then they could have one server for up to Velious and one that goes up to Luclin and PoP or up to Velious with custom content.

Maybe this server will end up the one with custom content and they will make a second for a legit timeline with only classic content. Now that seems plausible, but still it's hard to imagine or expect all of this while they are doing this voluntarily. Especially running more than 2 servers.

I just know it's going to be exciting for me to be here for the release of an expansion. I don't think I've ever been a part of an expansion release/event with everybody like that before. Screenshots will be had and shared with my grandchildren. Ay sonny, back in my day we use to play this elf simulator. See that picture of me in front of the computer? That's what you call a "neck beard". Can you say neck beard? What's that? Oh, that's just my poop cup. We didn't mess around! Kids now-a-days could learn a thing or two about dedication! *batphone rings*

DevGrousis
02-19-2014, 05:25 PM
It does feel kinda pointless talking about these things because if any of this is done or even partially, (counting custom content) it would go against the vision and purpose of the server and what the devs/gms/owners strive to achieve. We just need to go along with Velious and see what the server is like after a while. It gets kinda tricky with the fact they wont wipe for a restart because of all the time and effort people put into their characters. Only way this would happen I think is if everybody agreed. I'm not sure a majority rules would work in this case. I would think they would need a wipe if we were to run the timeline again because I can't see how making a second server would be worth it to split the community. I could maybe see if there were enough people for two servers and a ton of people wanted Luclin and PoP then they could have one server for up to Velious and one that goes up to Luclin and PoP or up to Velious with custom content.

Maybe this server will end up the one with custom content and they will make a second for a legit timeline with only classic content. Now that seems plausible, but still it's hard to imagine or expect all of this while they are doing this voluntarily. Especially running more than 2 servers.

I just know it's going to be exciting for me to be here for the release of an expansion. I don't think I've ever been a part of an expansion release/event with everybody like that before. Screenshots will be had and shared with my grandchildren. Ay sonny, back in my day we use to play this elf simulator. See that picture of me in front of the computer? That's what you call a "neck beard". Can you say neck beard? What's that? Oh, that's just my poop cup. We didn't mess around! Kids now-a-days could learn a thing or two about dedication! *batphone rings*

Buzz kill :(

Clark
02-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Absolute yes to Luclin once Velious is expended.

beentheredonethat
02-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Luclin was the end of Everquest.

koros
02-19-2014, 06:11 PM
No idea how anyone can be cool with PoP but not Luclin. Everything Luclin watered down, PoP did way more.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
02-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Luclin was great. Moon cats and nexus sucked

Iumuno
02-19-2014, 06:55 PM
I think every feature of Luclin has been listed in this thread as either hated or good with a roughly even distribution on either side.

DevGrousis
02-19-2014, 07:26 PM
I just really enjoyed the planes progression and like I said: PoP expanded on the lore of the Gods, and made it more tangible. I just liked it alot, aside from the PoK books. Features made PoP bad, not the xpac or content itself.

Thugicorn
02-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Simply put~

Luclin content with no port spires/bazaar.
Planes of Power with no working PoK stones, spell merchants, or tradeskill supply merchants.

Still need The Nexus to zone over to Shadow Haven and Netherbian Lair.
Still need PoK for quests and Plane of Tranquility.

I'd be more in favor of custom content, but then again the above suggestion might be easier to accomplish and churn out.

Also strip AA? :D

Vladesch
02-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Spires were great for druids.
People with money still wanted fast ports and ports to CS and places in luclin.
What we didn't get was people begging us for ports to NK while we are trying to level in another zone.

Porting as a business was really only worthwhile before luclin and for druids under about level 40. Doing the odd port is still good money, but sitting around doing nothing waiting for business is not.

KEI is where the real buff money was. Until everyone passed the point where money was much use and started mgb'ing it.

I'd like to see luclin. IIRC there was a lot more nodrop gear at the high end which would fix a lot of the problems with this server. (If a lot of it was made nodrop now it would be a good thing IMO)

Bazaar would cost the admin a bunch of bandwidth dollars. SOE really dropped the ball on that one.

Coridan
02-20-2014, 10:58 AM
I would rather see more frequent (as opposed to the two years it is taking for velious) custom zones every 6 months or so than waiting 4 years for a modified Luclin or PoP. Warrens, Stonebrunt, Jaggedpine next for sure.

Swish
02-20-2014, 03:06 PM
(as opposed to the two years it is taking for velious)

Sick burn, crack the whip some more at those volunteers.

pasi
02-20-2014, 03:13 PM
I like Luclin - I feel lazy reposting my Luclin post on the monthly Luclin thread.

Anyhow, it's a very gameplay driven expansion that is not well received due to both aesthetic and story reasons.

nilbog
02-20-2014, 03:14 PM
I would rather see more frequent (as opposed to the two years it is taking for velious)

Interesting point about this.. is it takes less time to fully create a story world, populate it, and test it than it takes to replicate one by researching.

Archestratie
02-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Warrens, Stonebrunt, Jaggedpine next for sure.

And the Runnyeye, Befallen revamps. Doing all 5 at once would be really cool IMO.

odiecat99
02-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Interesting point about this.. is it takes less time to fully create a story world, populate it, and test it than it takes to replicate one by researching.

Trolls bro, trolls.

Coridan
02-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Sick burn, crack the whip some more at those volunteers.

Wasn't meant to be mean, hell I didn't get past 30 until LoY despite starting in 99 due to altaholism so no particular rush for velious. Just saying I think smaller more frequent additions will be healthier. aalso Luclin is like twice the size of Velious. It would take forever to do.