PDA

View Full Version : How long for an Ip exemption?

Swyftfingers
02-14-2014, 05:23 AM
It can take a month I heard? :confused:

fastboy21
02-14-2014, 05:59 AM
well...
1 month to get the exception...
2 weeks to get caught two-boxing...
6 months to wait for GMs to forgive you...

I'd say you've got about 7-8 months to go until you can play again depending on when you put in your request.

NextGenesis88
02-14-2014, 06:16 AM
lol

Swish
02-14-2014, 07:10 AM
Off topic slightly, if IP exemptions were all removed for 24 hours... how quiet would EC be? Just putting that out there :p

Champion_Standing
02-14-2014, 08:16 AM
Off topic slightly, if IP exemptions were all removed for 24 hours... how quiet would EC be? Just putting that out there :p

Server population would drop by 40-60%

Coridan
02-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Does muling count as two-boxing? I assumed it did.

Derubael
02-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Does muling count as two-boxing? I assumed it did.

Yes.

IP exemptions usually take a day or two to process. Eunomia is amazing at getting to them quickly.

frantz256255
02-14-2014, 10:53 AM
If you dont want to wait Ģip exemption.., use 2 differents IP.

One from your router (your internet provider) and another with your smartphone...

Done

webrunner5
02-14-2014, 12:40 PM
It usually takes 1 day to a week. Depends on how busy they are and how many they have to do. And yes a year ago it could take a month to 3 months to get one.

mayhem32
02-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Our IP exemption took 2 or 3 days. Very prompt service.

That being said, I can barely play my one character....couldn't imagine playing 2 at the same time.

Daldaen
02-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Playing 3-4 characters at this era in EQ is extremely easy. Add in 10,000 AAs and 40 levels though, not so easy...

1 cleric who casts CH every so often
1 bard who AFKs with mez song on enchanter charmed pet
1 enchanter for charmed petting
1 Druid for snare/pulls or 1 shaman for pulls/malo or 1 Mage for backup tank pet/pulls/Malo

Easy/awesome group for EQ Classic - GoD

Grimfan
02-14-2014, 02:19 PM
It's so much more fun to just play one character :/ I three boxed when Kunark came out and I had three actual machines set up around me to do it, ended up moving to two machines when Luclin came out and ran two on one PC and the tank/puller on my main PC. Didn't know what I was missing by playing one character until I came to play on P99.

Swish
02-14-2014, 02:26 PM
I never get the want/need to box.

You're logging onto a game with 1000+ people, to play 2-6 characters in a group by yourself. While I'm sure that prevents lost time LFG, why not play Baldur's Gate or something instead? Most of the fun in EQ is meeting other people and sharing some good times together.

Grimfan
02-14-2014, 02:52 PM

You're logging onto a game with 1000+ people, to play 2-6 characters in a group by yourself. While I'm sure that prevents lost time LFG, why not play Baldur's Gate or something instead? Most of the fun in EQ is meeting other people and sharing some good times together.

I get it, I totally do. In an effort to level my girlfriend's cleric, I sometimes get on there and LFG for a good hour or five and end up spending the majority of my time running around soloing undead. It's not like it's that bad, but I would prefer to not have to solo if I could prevent it. I know I could just try to recruit others to make my own group, but people are impatient and it's difficult to work through the hardships that it takes to make a group sometimes. Some people (like me) do not have friends on this server, or they do, but, the friends are so wrapped up in the server politics that they would rather not be around them (like me), so we rely on strangers. Strangers can be a fickle breed.

On the other hand, some of my favorite times have come from being inconvenienced by not having a lot of friends on the server or wanting to inconvenience anyone. Sometimes I feel like I've taken the boat more than anyone else on the server, and I have met a lot of random people doing it too. I've had a lot of random boat dances, I've spent days in OOT with no way to leave except the boat, but it doesn't bother me, I just meet people and talk to them. The temptation of having a pocket druid, or whatnot can be really strong, because some people really enjoy the RPG aspect of the game (leveling in a challenging environment, not doing quests but grinding, the nostalgia of the old graphics) and are not into the game because of the people. Others however, really enjoy talking to other people and being in the center of it all.

People relying on me boxing in EQLive though really ruined the game for me, and ended up making me leave it whenever a better option came around.

Swish
02-14-2014, 03:05 PM
I get it, I totally do. In an effort to level my girlfriend's cleric, I sometimes get on there and LFG for a good hour or five and end up spending the majority of my time running around soloing undead. It's not like it's that bad, but I would prefer to not have to solo if I could prevent it. I know I could just try to recruit others to make my own group, but people are impatient and it's difficult to work through the hardships that it takes to make a group sometimes. Some people (like me) do not have friends on this server, or they do, but, the friends are so wrapped up in the server politics that they would rather not be around them (like me), so we rely on strangers. Strangers can be a fickle breed.

On the other hand, some of my favorite times have come from being inconvenienced by not having a lot of friends on the server or wanting to inconvenience anyone. Sometimes I feel like I've taken the boat more than anyone else on the server, and I have met a lot of random people doing it too. I've had a lot of random boat dances, I've spent days in OOT with no way to leave except the boat, but it doesn't bother me, I just meet people and talk to them. The temptation of having a pocket druid, or whatnot can be really strong, because some people really enjoy the RPG aspect of the game (leveling in a challenging environment, not doing quests but grinding, the nostalgia of the old graphics) and are not into the game because of the people. Others however, really enjoy talking to other people and being in the center of it all.

People relying on me boxing in EQLive though really ruined the game for me, and ended up making me leave it whenever a better option came around.

Interesting post, +1 :)

baalzy
02-14-2014, 03:36 PM
well...
1 month to get the exception...
2 weeks to get caught two-boxing...
6 months to wait for GMs to forgive you... Only works if you're Jeremy

I'd say you've got about 7-8 months to go until you can play again depending on when you put in your request.

ftfy

Daldaen
02-14-2014, 04:12 PM

It adds a new depth to the game. And boxers meet people.

When I boxed that specific combo on Mac server I would always invite random people to my group for the last 2 slots, and plenty of times I sat my cleric or bard or Druid out of group in favor of someone else.

Reason I boxed were a few things.

1. I'm impatient / I do stupid stuff. I hate clearing trash so sometimes in a dungeon id train shit around snare the mob I want and egress Druid out, then tab to bard to tag the mob. People don't know what I'm thinking and often stuff happens too quickly for me to tell them or type it out. This leads to them doing stuff I don't want like... Tagging stuff I didn't want to kill or training the group etc. Because of that I did like being able to do challenging camps by myself with a few boxes.
2. Lots of people are douches. Just read the forums. There are plenty of good apples and plenty of bad. If you often find yourself being a dick and starting shit in OOC about camps or people being bad, I don't want to deal with you. Boxing allowed me to circumvent many of these people and not need to rely upon them. So should I happen to invite them once in the past, I know not to do it again in the future.
3. Challenge. The solo challenge that Loraen posted is a great example of what makes EQ awesome and better than baldurs gate or Morrowind. But currently, it is limited to 2 or 3 power classes, many with power clickies. Boxing allowed you to try more stuff, stuff that other people don't want to try or don't get the same level of fun out of it as you do. 5 boxing Dozekar at 65 was some good fun for example. And the only other people that wanted to help in such a fight all played DPS... Great if I couldn't box we'd be short the tank, slower and bard.
4. Goals. It gives you stuff to strive towards. If you have one toon who you max out in pre-raid gear you either start raiding (and nothing you do outside of raids will better your character if max level) or you start Alts. Boxing is just another version of Alts that make it easier to achieve more goals/challenges etc.

And for me personally, I liked having a tool for every scenario, a jack of all trades if you will. So I tried to get one of each class or archetype to max level so that in any raid or group I could swap to whatever was needed. I hate feeling useless in a group/raid situation. This way if we needed anything badly I could fill that void and be very useful to the task at hand.

Fame
02-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Just start boxing, p99 integrity .. LOL

Swyftfingers
02-16-2014, 03:33 AM
I was approved the very next morning!!

But for some reason we are playing, and it's way too laggy to be enjoyable. NPC's disappear, reappear, and just lag in general. I'll cast a spell, and I'll be stuck in casting mode and can't do anything else. We got the exemption to be able to play together, but typically the lag is so bad I can't even see my friend sitting next to me.

I don't know if it's some kind of network conflict, but we have no problem on live EQ.

Just sucks, solve one problem and one's just waiting behind it.

Maybe it's a configuration issue. Or it was peak time or something...(11pm est?)

Glain
02-16-2014, 04:00 AM
I.p exemtion for me was roughly 24 hrs. I do want to say that I don't throw an lfg tag up anymore cause people don't generally use it. I started building groups based off of classes I saw in ec, knowing that a lot of people ( not most or all but just a nice handful) go to e.c and sell when they can't get a group. Most of th zones I level in are not far from ec, so creating a group has never been hard, time consuming yes, but never a 5 hour wait like a poster above said as a cleric.