PDA

View Full Version : Wrong stats on a bard

ryandward
08-07-2010, 04:28 AM
I'm really sad to have to post this, but here goes.

Seeing as how charm doesn't function the same was as it does on live (and I just found out, as I am now level 28), I am stricken with remorse to have statted my bard the way I did. I gave her +10dex/+10str, but I was completely unaware that bards were not able to keep casting charm on an already charmed mob.

I really wish I'd have known this huge difference from live, and I'd have made my character differently.

Should I reroll?

MiRo2
08-07-2010, 04:58 AM
You don't have to solo as a bard. If you thought that was all you could do, you probably should reroll as a druid or mage.

eqdruid76
08-07-2010, 06:45 AM
You don't have to solo as a bard. If you thought that was all you could do, you probably should reroll as a druid or mage.

Yeah, it's perfectly ok with everyone but the OP that charm is not classic.

alexandervaccaro
08-07-2010, 02:31 PM
I really don't understand sentiments like those expressed by the above two posters. The OP is reasonably upset because he figured that a server which claims to recreate EQ Classic would follow more or less all the same rules.

It seems that charm / run speed / all the other changes on this server are probably in for a decent reason, namely making it so that one class cannot have an unfair levelling advantage over others (bard swarm kiting?).

This is ridiculous for 2 reasons,

1) everyone on this server is always going on about how they want to stay as close to EQ Classic as possible, if mechanics were in classic why are they not here?

2) One must look at these things relatively. Sure, maybe bards were able to level up very quickly using certain methods, but as project1999 stands today a necromancer or magician also has a similar levelling advantage over my paladin (consider relative soloing abilities, coupled with the absurdly "classic" 40% exp penalty)

Conclusions: 1)OP's emotions are not out of line 2)get rid of the damn class exp penalty!!!!

To OP: I don't think its worth rerolling, 20 stat points in the long run (especially considering kunark / velious) will not make or break your character (especially a bard).

Reiker
08-07-2010, 04:35 PM
I really don't understand sentiments like those expressed by the above two posters.
Don't worry, no one understands eqdruid76. We think he's Moroccan.

Savok
08-07-2010, 06:31 PM
As far as I am aware no class can re-charm an already charmed mob. Invis becomes your best friend (boots in Cazic, ring in LOIO/Kunark)

mmiles8
08-07-2010, 06:41 PM
1) everyone on this server is always going on about how they want to stay as close to EQ Classic as possible, if mechanics were in classic why are they not here?

If some folks would spend half as much time using the search function as they did crying crosspost on several boards about how they don't have {insert personal advantage here} how they want it, in the incarnation they want it, and when they want it (read: right now), while using "classic" as a crutch, they might find a post from the devs that they're working on it. (Hint: Haynar posted it in this particular case)

alexandervaccaro
08-07-2010, 07:02 PM
why the attack miles? i was simply defending the OP since the two posters above me seemed completely unsympathetic. If the issue is being worked on, that's awesome, I spoke out of ignorance, and even then was speaking more to the wishes of players rather than the devs.

mmiles8
08-07-2010, 07:48 PM
The argument about "how classic is classic, and why isn't it x by y date" comes up often enough that it can seem a bit cynical when stated like that. It's frustrating to see folks constantly criticize the rate of progress on a volunteer project, everyone is susceptible to burnout. But I suppose this is a good example for both of us on assuming good faith instead of criticizing.

Lazortag
08-07-2010, 08:27 PM

Seeing as how charm doesn't function the same was as it does on live (and I just found out, as I am now level 28), I am stricken with remorse to have statted my bard the way I did. I gave her +10dex/+10str, but I was completely unaware that bards were not able to keep casting charm on an already charmed mob.

I really wish I'd have known this huge difference from live, and I'd have made my character differently.

Should I reroll?

So does this mean a Bard could charm an enemy infinitely on live? As in, if you just kept recasting it it would always stay charmed? How is it supposed to function normally? I was totally unaware that my level 27 Charm functioned in a way that was different from how it worked on classic as I've always found it extremely useful. (but I guess not so much in solo situations)

guineapig
08-07-2010, 09:01 PM

Should I reroll?

I'll answer this as honestly as I can. What does giving +10dex and +10str have anything to do with your complaint? Would you have put +20 into charisma? Because I can tell you that it wouldn't have mattered.

In my opinion dispersing your points that way is a bad idea regardless of what you bard play style is but it has absolutely no baring on charm.

As far as permacharming mobs. Bard spells tend to last 3 tics. If you don't sing anything ut that song then it's sort of permanent. However, charmed mobs always have a chance to break charm every tic. This goes for all types of charm from any class. Basically what you do is don't stop singing the charm song then you might get hit a couple times by the mob but it will eventually come back under your control.

If you are going to reroll, I suggest all points into stamina... or hell, all into charimsa even. Don't bother with strength and dex since 75% of melee gear in the game gives bonuses to one or both of those stats.

Lazortag
08-07-2010, 09:03 PM
As far as permacharming mobs. Bard spells tend to last 3 tics. If you don't sing anything ut that song then it's sort of permanent. However, charmed mobs always have a chance to break charm every tic. This goes for all types of charm from any class. Basically what you do is don't stop singing the charm song then you might get hit a couple times by the mob but it will eventually come back under your control.

That's how it works on p99. What's the complaint exactly and how should charm normally function to be more classic?

Savok
08-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I never managed to charm a mob while it was already charmed on my Live bard since I started it Apr 1999.

Mez yes, charm no. I would have to wait for it to break or use invis and recharm.

Rejuvenation
08-07-2010, 10:05 PM
On live, with the level 27 charm, if you played the song on your targeted mob, and didnt stop the song, or start a new one, it would remain charmed indefinitely.

It wasn't game-breaking or anything by any means though, because eventually they added the whole "you cant charm anything above your level" clause, and you couldnt play any other songs, and as a bard, you're pretty dang gimp without any songs.

Lazortag
08-07-2010, 10:15 PM
I never managed to charm a mob while it was already charmed on my Live bard since I started it Apr 1999.

Mez yes, charm no. I would have to wait for it to break or use invis and recharm.

Oh sorry, I didn't explain myself well. Currently if you don't interrupt your own charm, it will recast upon breaking. I suppose this means that it breaks more often on p99 than on live, but the functionality is almost the same: you get an "indefinite" charm so long as you don't get stunned or you don't cast another song (or go out of range or something).

Although I do still think they should change it to be more classic, it's certainly no reason to reroll.

Arkis
08-07-2010, 10:15 PM
On live, with the level 27 charm, if you played the song on your targeted mob, and didnt stop the song, or start a new one, it would remain charmed indefinitely.

It wasn't game-breaking or anything by any means though, because eventually they added the whole "you cant charm anything above your level" clause, and you couldnt play any other songs, and as a bard, you're pretty dang gimp without any songs.

...i'm pretty sure thats exactly how it works here....

*edit*
Lol posted right as lazor says the same thing in his above post.

Bubbles
08-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Although I do still think they should change it to be more classic, it's certainly no reason to reroll.

Any reason to lower the bard population = a good one. shhh

Lazortag
08-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Any reason to lower the bard population = a good one. shhh

Ah, true. I take back what I said. All Bards except me and Mashiro should reroll as rangers.