PDA

View Full Version : Bard Soloing

Dirtnap
08-08-2010, 03:48 PM
I played a bard on live, but i never did any kiting, i always grouped. I would like to get into kiting, of all the different types. I have read that it doesn't work the same as live, but that won't deter me from playing my favorite class.

I leveled up to 8 by fighting and grouping, is it possible to start kiting at 8? My attempts haven't been very successful (3 deaths without any kills.). Would a high level bard teach me the kiting methods?

Tseng
08-08-2010, 03:49 PM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11506

Dirtnap
08-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks, i read that already and its helpful. But i was hoping i could get some in game assistance from an experienced kiter.

EDIT: Been working on it and im getting better. Helps to have SoW than try to Selo's. (4 Deaths with no kills yet, but im doing better.)
EDIT2: Died again making it 5 so far.
EDIT3: We should really have class forums on here. =D

Lazortag
08-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Once you have selo's and a lute, you should be able to use the level 2 AOE with the lute equipped to do mad damage while not taking any, using the method linked by Tseng. I'm not sure when you learn stringed instruments though, but I'm sure it's at most level 8, so you should be good.

PS: You don't have to be swapping instruments constantly, because I think Selo's with a lute equipped is enough to outrun most mobs.

PPS: This is just one method of kiting that Bards can do on this server. Later you get a Fear song that allows you to fear kite with little to no downtime.

Also I forgot to add that you should be using the regen song if you ever take damage (but you shouldn't be taking damage ideally)

Dirtnap
08-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Yeah im still working on not taking damage, i have to get REALLY close for it to hit.

Lanvaren
08-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah im still working on not taking damage, i have to get REALLY close for it to hit.

At worst, you should be exchanging one round of hits for an application of your DoT, which if you play regen song while running, should put you ahead.

Just remember not to get greedy - start by kiting a few mobs, so you can reliably exchange hits for the DoT application and live. EXP loss is worse than slow EXP gain.

Jaxon
08-08-2010, 07:57 PM
My first successful AOE kiting was with the bandits in West Karana. If I remember correctly, un-drummed Selo's wasn't fast enough to outrun the mobs until level 10 or 11. Before then, I had tried keeping a drummed Selo's going while veering in, switching to the lute, and hitting the mobs with a dot, but I wasn't too successful because I always had to turn really sharply to get in range, and it seemed like I always got hit. Once I hit 10 or 11 I was able to more closely match my run speed with the mobs' run speed, and I got much better results. Something I had thought about doing, but never tried, was encumbering myself a little to fine-tune my speed. No idea if it would work or not.

Also, AOE kiting seems to work a lot better on mobs with small models. Humanoids and dogs, and sometimes cats I can kite without taking a hit. Snakes seem iffy. Large spiders and beetles hit me every time. Whenever you go to a new area, try your kite with one mob to test the waters before you grab a train of unholy death.

Dirtnap
08-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Ok thanks. Any suggestions where to kite at level 7?

Estu
08-08-2010, 11:34 PM
I like that you started this thread at level 8 and now you're asking for suggestions for level 7 kiting :)

Halfelfbard
08-09-2010, 01:33 AM
The Mobs hit you from like 100 feet away, its really really hard to kite and not get hit.

RKromwell
08-09-2010, 01:36 AM
I wonder if it is just Bards...I have had to snare kite and mobs are not crushing me from that far away.

MiRo2
08-09-2010, 02:07 AM
The Mobs hit you from like 100 feet away, its really really hard to kite and not get hit.

Pretty sure this is probably mentioned in the link earlier in this post, didn't check seeing as how this comes up probably twice a week. Mobs only hit you from like 100 feet away if you've been running in a straight line for like 100 feet if you swoop in and cut a turn really fast you can land your AoE on them without taking a hit.

Lazortag
08-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Also, AOE kiting seems to work a lot better on mobs with small models. Humanoids and dogs, and sometimes cats I can kite without taking a hit. Snakes seem iffy. Large spiders and beetles hit me every time. Whenever you go to a new area, try your kite with one mob to test the waters before you grab a train of unholy death.

I find this is true - I have serious problems kiting things like cyclopses, giants, etc., but Aviaks, Gnolls, and Centaurs are ezmode to aoe kite. Also, I'm at a level where undrummed selo's is pretty much the perfect speed for aoe kiting (level 39, but it worked great at level 38 and presumably would have worked earlier than that), but at lower levels using a drum should work. It'll be exhausting but more than worth it for you.

Lazortag
08-09-2010, 08:39 AM

Mobs have large hitboxes, but as has been mentioned, mobs have to actually SEE you to hit you. So if you're constantly running in a circle you'll never really be in their line of sight, and if your circle isn't too tight, you'll be able to aoe kite them just fine with practice.

Cribanox
08-09-2010, 04:47 PM
At level 7, you'll need to get a SoW, or you'll have to get good with swapping a drum in and out.

Just practice the swirling circles around monsters, remember to not run in a straight line, like ever.