PDA

View Full Version : A few questions before I begin...

hastehands
02-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Hi, I have a few questions about p99 that I was curious about before I invest any money/time into it. I (like most of you) am an old school EQ player. I started back when it was first released and played straight until PoK came out and have been on and off since. Everquest was such an amazing game and it was what got me hooked on PC games ever since. No matter what game I play, and no matter how long I play it, I ALWAYS end up back playing EQ. Anyway, here are the questions: how is the server population in terms of low level toons? will I be able to find groups fairly easily? I only ask because I remember how much of a PITA soloing was back in the day as a melee class, but it isn't the trouble of soloing as much as the "loneliness" of empty zones lol. How close to original EQ is P99? is the HUD layout the same? I hope so. Lastly, I lost my titanium and also gold EQ sets in a flood we had a few years back and the discs were all destroyed. I still have a copy of EQ trilogy that wasn't damaged. Is the titanium edition the ONLY one that works? is there a cheap, non-torrent alternative to repurchasing the titanium edition? Any information on any of my questions would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

-Hastehands

tankh
02-23-2014, 11:54 AM
come on in the water is fine, over 1100 ppl where on line the other day lots of groups lots of free stuff for new players, p99 rocks, just stay away from the forums :)

Swish
02-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Finding groups depends on the class you play.

Clerics/enchanters get groups generally easier than rangers/wizards.

You'll need EQ Titanium to play, there's certain ways of using the internet to get hold of a mystical copy that you can't touch with your hands etc :p Other than that you'll have to rely on Amazon and the 1 scumbag company who bought them all up and put a big price on it knowing that people don't like the other method :/

radditsu
No cheap alternative. Just download it. Its an old client (soe gives clients away free now). All torrents are not inherently wrong. I use torrents all the time at work to get copies of old software. Be responsible in what you click. The problem is the ability to share cracked new software.
MMos use torrentike downloaders all the to patch games.

The only purchasable copies are owned by some dude that bought a ton for next to nothing and jacked up the price to get people to pay the sucker tax.

StinkyGreenBud
come on in the water is fine, over 1100 ppl where on line the other day lots of groups lots of free stuff for new players, p99 rocks, just stay away from the forums :)

Most the forums are fine, stay away from RnF. But yes server pop is more than fine. Groups are super easy to fine now than it was years ago. It is best to start one yourself though. You can have the classic UI if you like. Friendly community. Loads of fun nostalgia to be had here. As for eq titanium...Amazon? Though they are jacked in price.

hastehands
02-23-2014, 12:03 PM
lol thanks guys, I am surprised at the response time on this forum. You don't get quick responses like this in most new/popular games lol.

Hollywood
02-23-2014, 12:04 PM
-Fair amount of low level players both organic and alternative. By that I mean new starters or alts for higher level players. The bonus of hooking up with the latter is that they sometimes have multiple accounts with things like clerics and druids and therefore can res bot or teleport a group!
Having said that, don't expect to enter Greater Faydark or West Freeport and see fifty level 1-10 players.

-Soloing isn't any easier or difficult however mechanically speaking however the removal of the big spell book, having a custom full sized UI and the forums for assistance, make it a more comfortable experience. Additionally, there's a lot of established players who you can simply ask for buffs, teleports, resurrections, directions etc.

-Some zones are empty/lonely and quite frankly that's a bonus. If you don't mind going off the beaten path, you can find places all to yourself (or your group, which is great if you don't want to share camp spots).

-As mentioned before, the UI is different. It's based off the Titanium client era and is customizable (window drag/placement). Furthering that there's a popular retexture of the UI called DuxaUI (can find it on forums here). You simply extract files to the UI folder in your EQ directory and then in game type /load DuxaUI
If you want the classic classic UI, that's available too.

-Yes you require EQ Titanium. It's actually still for sale I believe (oddly), however between you and everyone else on these forums, I am sure you can find a way to 'find' it.

-Response time might be exaggerated because the game is in maintenance for a few minutes. We're all flocking here to forum quest. Though seriously, the forums are active.

P.S.
If you have a boxed copy of the original EverQuest Trilogy, either hold onto that or sell it. I bet you could get a nice bit of coin for that collector's item.

Lamil
02-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Servers down is why

hastehands
02-23-2014, 12:06 PM
No cheap alternative. Just download it. Its an old client (soe gives clients away free now). All torrents are not inherently wrong. I use torrents all the time at work to get copies of old software. Be responsible in what you click. The problem is the ability to share cracked new software.
MMos use torrentike downloaders all the to patch games.

The only purchasable copies are owned by some dude that bought a ton for next to nothing and jacked up the price to get people to pay the sucker tax.

Yea I saw the prices on Amazon and Ebay, ridiculous lol. I don't/haven't ever really torrent anything. The interweb scares me some of the times? all time? every of the time!

Nuggie
02-23-2014, 12:11 PM
lol thanks guys, I am surprised at the response time on this forum. You don't get quick responses like this in most new/popular games lol.

It's easier to make a solo class first. then make a melee. clerics solo just fine. OR, make a solo and a melee. play the solo during the downtimes.

People give stuff away regularly.

Welcome to the club.

Find a coat, Winter is coming.

Utmost
02-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Would it be legal to send out jump drives with EQ Titanium on it to prospective new players for cost + S&H?

Swish
02-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Yea I saw the prices on Amazon and Ebay, ridiculous lol. I don't/haven't ever really torrent anything. The interweb scares me some of the times? all time? every of the time!

You have any technically minded friends? They might do it for you?

Hollywood
02-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Would it be legal to send out jump drives with EQ Titanium on it to prospective new players for cost + S&H?

Great idea. In fact, though it probably gets a big no-no from Rogean, anyone whom donates to the server maintenance(is that still allowed?), should get a free pre assembled and modified Titanium package including high res texture options and DuxaUI.

Pretty much it's plug and play (or copy to hard disk and play, either way...).

Ihova
02-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Everquest Titanium - piratebay.se search for it, download the one with most seeds, use bittorent as the actual program

Population is 500 min to 1500 peak.

Lots of people to group with but have to be willing to socialize. You cannot just put lfg on hope all the time.

Endurance
02-23-2014, 12:18 PM
My advice, do not play a Bard. Everyone hates Bards.

Hollywood
02-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Everquest Titanium - piratebay.se search for it, download the one with most seeds, use bittorent as the actual program

Population is 500 min to 1500 peak.

Lots of people to group with but have to be willing to socialize. You cannot just put lfg on hope all the time.

I love the one that's titled EQ 99 Red. I've known people who actually went onto the Red server because of the folder name.

Clever.

Swish
02-23-2014, 12:21 PM

WHOA! I condemn the actions of this user! Internets have mercy on us.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2isf7o0.gif

Squire
02-23-2014, 12:24 PM
i can't recommend trying out the red server highly enough haste! i'd consider giving that a shot as opposed to the overcrowded blue server. people on red are really cool and helpful, theres an xp bonus, and you'll have awesome adventures you'd never have on blue.

fishingme
02-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Finding groups depends on the class you play.

Clerics/enchanters get groups generally easier than rangers/wizards.

You'll need EQ Titanium to play, there's certain ways of using the internet to get hold of a mystical copy that you can't touch with your hands etc :p Other than that you'll have to rely on Amazon and the 1 scumbag company who bought them all up and put a big price on it knowing that people don't like the other method :/

lol, i had to do a search on amazon after you said this. Can't say I'm surprised sony would do that... Luckily I ended up buying a copy off of amazon for $35

Hollywood
02-23-2014, 12:41 PM
I disagree with this. My first toons were melee and I had no trouble with anything. That's including soloing. Just pick what you think you might enjoy and give it a shot. Any class can solo. Some just more efficient than others.

Agreed. When advising that casters are the best solo artists, they tend to glaze over the lower levels up to the late 20s, which is when it's rough.

A melee like a monk is a super good first character. You get survivability, group placement, and are still useful for raids later on.

Numbers_
02-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Welcome to the server.

You can solo on a monk easily on here thanks in part to how powerful intimidation is. I have medicore-bad equipment (no haste or fungi. I'm using Wu's quivering staff and a lot of master wus armor and +55hp rings) and have mostly soloed to level 47, no problem. Spam intimidation every time it's up (within reason) and stand almost in the middle of the mob while kiting it.

Good luck

Nuggie
02-23-2014, 12:58 PM
I disagree with this. My first toons were melee and I had no trouble with anything. That's including soloing. Just pick what you think you might enjoy and give it a shot. Any class can solo. Some just more efficient than others.

You're saying it's not easier to play a solo class? Which is what I was saying.

Ajkuhuun
02-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Absolutely no shortage of low level toons to play with, and in the level brackets all the way up soooo.....come on in! :D