PDA

View Full Version : Velious - New Server?

Ryaik
02-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Hi there,

I am a new player. Just had a question about the release of SoV.

Is there going to be additional new fresh server with the release of SoV? Or are we just extended the current blue & red servers?

Thanks,

Ryaik

Swish
02-25-2014, 08:28 PM
No new blue server.

However after Velious releases there will be a PvP teams server going up at some point.

loramin
02-26-2014, 12:04 AM
It's been suggested that someday there will be a fresh server, which will progress along the original timeline (none of this "Kunark for years" stuff). However, if this were to even happen it likely wouldn't be until after Velious AND all the post-Velious patches have been completed.

So don't hold your breath :)

Squire
02-26-2014, 01:09 AM
do want teams

Aborath
02-26-2014, 01:32 AM
It's been suggested that someday there will be a fresh server, which will progress along the original timeline (none of this "Kunark for years" stuff). However, if this were to even happen it likely wouldn't be until after Velious AND all the post-Velious patches have been completed.

So don't hold your breath :)

It would be so awesome if such a server came to be and maintained a P99-level population... but this would mean everyone relocating. :p

Buriedpast
02-26-2014, 02:49 AM
Launch project 2000.

The same as Vazaelle when it started.

New server, @ current timeline as velious launch, launched with velious.

Let those of us who want to do it with 1 character, no years of farming, etc do so with a group of folks who are humble enough to leave everything behind to start fresh and make new pals.

It would not hurt p1999 Blue at all, and we already know P1999 Red has been unsuccessful if you base that on population or popularity. Project 2000 would be a huge success.

tankh
02-26-2014, 03:36 AM
Would be nice to release a new server now :) I'm so happy on p1999 but hate the fact I missed original ever quest both times :(

Buriedpast
02-26-2014, 06:48 AM
Thing is, no original shit is the idea. no stones, no donals, no rubi, no lustrous russet, none of that garbage

Juhstin
02-26-2014, 08:47 AM
They won't do a new server, the amount of tears that would flow would drown the world.

Swish
02-26-2014, 09:59 AM
More to the point it wouldn't split the population in half, probably 80% of players would jump ship... nobody wants to play on an empty old mudflation ridden server if a new one is available etc.

By asking for a new server you're also killing an old server...y'all know that :p

Thulack
02-26-2014, 10:08 AM
More to the point it wouldn't split the population in half, probably 80% of players would jump ship... nobody wants to play on an empty old mudflation ridden server if a new one is available etc.

By asking for a new server you're also killing an old server...y'all know that :p

A Server must be alive for it to be killed :D

Swish
02-26-2014, 10:14 AM
If a new blue server went up today, there wouldn't be an old blue server... the urge for everyone to start fresh with no inflation, no twinks, no BS, etc. It was all part of the allure of old EQ.

I remember server hopping as new ones came up.

Prexus > Lanys > Luclin > Tholuxe...

By the time the EU servers went up (ended up on Venril Sathir as there was no movelog and Ubisoft was running it) I'd pretty much mastered the "day 1" thing and held a monopoly on SoW potions in the bazaar for a few days.

If any of us rolled up on P1999 for the first time today and had the option between a 3-4 year old server and a month old server... where would we play?

Daldaen
02-26-2014, 10:27 AM
A Server must be alive for it to be killed :D

How do you kill that which has no life?

http://www.troll.me/images/internet-tuff-guy/how-do-you-kill-that-which-has-no-life.jpg

And no Swish. You underestimate people's pixel lust. Too many would be attached to their characters that have 10 fungis and 20 manastones to start over. For the first few weeks yea. But once the hardcores are hitting 50, and they are still 10-15, they will return.

fastboy21
02-26-2014, 10:34 AM
there is no spoon...

Tecmos Deception
02-26-2014, 10:40 AM
And no Swish. You underestimate people's pixel lust. Too many would be attached to their characters that have 10 fungis and 20 manastones to start over. For the first few weeks yea. But once the hardcores are hitting 50, and they are still 10-15, they will return.

Staff seem to have a desire to create either a timeline-accurate server and/or a post-velious-custom-content server... AFTER we've been in Velious for a couple years to iron out all the kinks.

Current blue will probably never totally die, but I can imagine it being pretty desolate 3+ years from now when one/both of these new servers pop up.

We'll probably just be allowed to box on the different blue servers anyway though, just like we can box on red+blue now.

Buriedpast
02-26-2014, 10:42 AM
Incorrect swish.

The vast majority of players never jumped ship on new servers.

It would not change now. People cry over whatever issues here, for whatever reason. they will ALWAYS have some same issues.

People who missed manastones and guises and cry about it, still wont get them, and will be back on blue99 instead of blue2000 in 4 weeks. That is the vast majority of players.

That's also beside the fact the correct way to launch a new server, and CLASSIC way to launch a new server is to do so at current timeline. There would be no guises, stones and shit.

So, launch project 2000 on velious launch. Those that are so attached to their pixels, have low playtime etc, will never leave. Thats 80% of the server. The 500 new players that would come make it great.

Tecmos Deception
02-26-2014, 10:48 AM
That's also beside the fact the correct way to launch a new server, and CLASSIC way to launch a new server is to do so at current timeline. There would be no guises, stones and shit.

Interesting point. I had never thought about it that way before.

Although I'm not sure I agree with it. I mean, despite classic-era P99 being the most classic EQ since classic (CLASSIC)... it still had some pretty significant issues. I could see going for the argument "new server should be released at day 1 of timeline because first blue server had big issues that have since been corrected" as easily as yours.

What kind of population did blue have for the first 6 months of classic? Can't imagine doing it with a 1200+ population, lol.

Juhstin
02-26-2014, 11:26 AM

mgellan
02-26-2014, 11:51 AM
A new server would be fun just to see 500 barbarians all trying to kill the same Gnoll Pups near the Halas zoneline like when The Sleeper went live LOL :) Other than that I'd be back on my regular toon on P99.

Regards,
Mg

Swish
02-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Maybe I do underestimate people's attachment for their current characters, acquired loot etc... but when you see people even making alts on the new server and the population dropping, groups harder to come by etc... I'd say there'd be a steady exit from old blue if not an immediate drop.

Everyone wants to be on a server's rich list, king of the economy, corner the market of something etc. If they didn't find that already, they'll try again on blue v2.0.

New blue server with a new top raiding guild? There'd be much lust for that too.

Roth
02-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Maybe I do underestimate people's attachment for their current characters, acquired loot etc... but when you see people even making alts on the new server and the population dropping, groups harder to come by etc... I'd say there'd be a steady exit from old blue if not an immediate drop.

Everyone wants to be on a server's rich list, king of the economy, corner the market of something etc. If they didn't find that already, they'll try again on blue v2.0.

New blue server with a new top raiding guild? There'd be much lust for that too.

This is exactly why a 2nd server would be bad.

Swish
02-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Exactly, you'd decimate the old server.

August
02-26-2014, 02:49 PM
I've said it before I'll say it again.

My only wish is to be a travelling silver jewelry salesman once more. New server would give me that opportunity.

Can't say what I'd do after everyone else caught up to me. Most fun I ever had was the first month of fippy.

loramin
02-26-2014, 05:11 PM

If you have peanut butters A and B, and everyone prefers B, doesn't that mean you should sell B? It'd be kind of silly to say "everyone prefers B, so we better not let anyone get it".

In other words, it sounds to me like you just made an argument for a new server, not against it.

Ele
02-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Exactly, you'd decimate the old server.

10% leaving would be about right.

odiecat99
02-26-2014, 05:38 PM
I say wipe this shit.

been here since 2011 could give a fck less

Pyrocat
02-27-2014, 04:21 AM
Launch project 2000.

The same as Vazaelle when it started.

New server, @ current timeline as velious launch, launched with velious.

Let those of us who want to do it with 1 character, no years of farming, etc do so with a group of folks who are humble enough to leave everything behind to start fresh and make new pals.

It would not hurt p1999 Blue at all, and we already know P1999 Red has been unsuccessful if you base that on population or popularity. Project 2000 would be a huge success.

I don't agree with this, but if there ever is a new server launched (and imo we should never 'wipe' the current one), Project 2000 would be a great name. A fresh server with Kunark initially open would be a really interesting experience, as long as Velious wasn't far behind. Opening them both simultaneously on release would mean people would skip a lot of the great earlier content.

Tecmos Deception
02-27-2014, 08:08 AM
10% leaving would be about right.

Haha, someone else who always thinks of this meaning when they see the word "decimate" :)

Archestratie
02-27-2014, 09:00 AM
This is exactly why a 2nd server would be bad.

I agree. If they add a second blue server it needs to have custom content, not just be Classic. Otherwise you'll split the population and it's going to suck for everyone.

webrunner5
02-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Start a new server and make it like P1999 when it first started. No pet nerf, target rings, maps, compass, spells that stuck and lasted forever, etc., etc. It was great. Now it is CLASSIC. Sucks lol. :)

Swish
02-27-2014, 12:12 PM
Mark my words pals, put 2 blue servers up and see the death of the old one. No new player is going to choose an old inflated server over a fresh new one where the playing field is more even.

So many people in EC recently with full cultural, froggie (or better) robes etc... fine if you got it, but then people start sneering at someone with a rusty long sword in his birthday suit.

baalzy
02-27-2014, 12:56 PM
I don't sneer when I see naked rusty holders.. I start to scrounge through my bags to hand them stuff.

skipdog
02-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Mark my words pals, put 2 blue servers up and see the death of the old one. No new player is going to choose an old inflated server over a fresh new one where the playing field is more even.

So many people in EC recently with full cultural, froggie (or better) robes etc... fine if you got it, but then people start sneering at someone with a rusty long sword in his birthday suit.

I don't think that is completely true.

If I were a new player, I would be choosing the server with people on it, so that I can group. If my choices were between a server with 1000 players and 200, I would take the one with 1000 without a second thought.

Juhstin
02-27-2014, 01:35 PM
I don't think that is completely true.

If I were a new player, I would be choosing the server with people on it, so that I can group. If my choices were between a server with 1000 players and 200, I would take the one with 1000 without a second thought.

Everyone would, thats probably why Red99 is dead too.

They see the carebear server at 1100+ and Red sitting at 50, obviously we know where new people are going to go.

Tethyr
02-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Personally, I'd love to have a new server or a reset down the line, but then again I'm not one of the people with multiple fungis and three 60's. I took a break from the server and the mudflation is pretty bad right now; I feel like it's hard to keep new players on the server.

Archestratie
02-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Personally, I'd love to have a new server or a reset down the line, but then again I'm not one of the people with multiple fungis and three 60's. I took a break from the server and the mudflation is pretty bad right now; I feel like it's hard to keep new players on the server.

Mudflation isn't nearly as bad as it was on Live. Certain items cost more here than they did on my home server back in the day. We'll see what happens when Velious goes live.

Tecmos Deception
02-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Mudflation isn't nearly as bad as it was on Live. Certain items cost more here than they did on my home server back in the day. We'll see what happens when Velious goes live.

I think a lot of people confuse mudflation with there just being more of everything. I always thought the term just referred to the treadmill of numbers getting bigger and bigger... people on here talk about it in the context of "stuff costs more pp because of mudflation" or "server is flooded with tunics because of mudflation" though /shrug

Swish
02-27-2014, 02:28 PM
I don't sneer when I see naked rusty holders.. I start to scrounge through my bags to hand them stuff.

Well that's good Baalzy, there's already people around that don't take rogues on without their epic.

The min/max crowd needs to reassess why they're playing I think.

fadetree
02-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Yah, mudflation as a term refers to the continual increase of player and item power, usually in order to keep people interested. See PoP. If there are a large number of things to buy and money is relatively scarce, prices tend to fall. If there are are fewer things to buy and a lot of free money to buy them with, then prices tend to rise. Those two effects are deflation and inflation.

August
02-27-2014, 05:48 PM
Yah, mudflation as a term refers to the continual increase of player and item power, usually in order to keep people interested. See PoP. If there are a large number of things to buy and money is relatively scarce, prices tend to fall. If there are are fewer things to buy and a lot of free money to buy them with, then prices tend to rise. Those two effects are deflation and inflation.

Yes to this. mudflation is about the devaluing of current assets due to the rise of more powerful items being introduced, more information being available to acquire those items, etc. It's strictly an MMO term.

This server is tricky because we have a mix of wealth-pooling, item abundance, along with the typical item scarcity.

For instance, newbie gear here is dramatically cheaper than what I remember on live. However, in-demand items are way more expensive. I'm sure someone w/ an economics background could explain it.

Yieu
03-01-2014, 02:54 PM
It sounds like a case of stagflation, or stagnation and inflation. This was seen in the 1970's, and we started to see it with the recession that started in 2008 but it appears to have slowed. Stagflation occurs when inflation (the cost of items) is high, but economic growth slows (lack of new items/lack of mudflation/lack of new players gaining items through hunting for them) and unemployment is high (newer players have less plat/camps for items or plat are camped out but not by newer players). This allows for people to have valuable items and a lot of platinum, while others have a hard time finding the resources to keep up with rising prices for those items even if those items are not scarce.

Mudflation is when stats on newer items become greater and greater.

Inflation is when the cost of items go up due to scarcity of the item OR due to an increase in the money supply, translated as lower valued money

Deflation is when there is an increase in the availability of an item OR due to a decrease in the money supply, translated as higher valued money.

Psionide
03-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Everyone would, thats probably why Red99 is dead too.

They see the carebear server at 1100+ and Red sitting at 50, obviously we know where new people are going to go.

This isn't why Red failed. Red had a healthy pop in the beginning.

Thulack
03-01-2014, 04:00 PM
This isn't why Red failed. Red had a healthy pop in the beginning.

Red failed because of griefinf dbags and about 5% of the population actually likes EQ PvP which is 5% too many.

Khatilly
03-01-2014, 04:49 PM
bah wrong thread. Im a blonde today!

Splorf22
03-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Personally I would love a new server, but with some rules tweaks:

Limit everyone to 1 character
Disable multiquesting
GM enforced rotation on 'normal' spawns, 'competition' on repops

Danth
03-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Prices mean newbies can't afford fungi tunics, but it also means they can deck themselves out in tolerable quality mid-range gear for stupidly cheap. I'd say if anything it's easier to get up to speed as a new player on P1999 than it was on Live during the Velious era. I ought to know since I never stuck to a character and often started over on new servers.

I'm not sure how Red can be called a failure when it seemingly attracted about the same proportion of players as the historic EQ PvP servers had. Most EQ players don't enjoy EQ-style PvP. That's just how it is and no amount of blue forum recruiting will change that. Want to make Red grow? go to *other* boards and spread the word about P1999. Make the entire community grow and some proportion of them will migrate over to Red.

-------------------------------------

"Limit everyone to 1 character"

How would you accomplish this? Accounts are free.

Danth