PDA

View Full Version : Best race for Enchanter?

sideris
08-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm thinking of rolling enc, and was comparing the different starting points for the races.

Is it me or is hum enc not that bad?
-- 2nd highest CHA and 75 STA. The INT is not impressive, but will reach max at end game. Higher str might be better for first character so can hold more loot before hitting bank/vendor. What do you think?

I put max point into INT (25), 5 to CHA

STR/STA/INT/CHA
HUM 75, 75, 110, 90
DE 65, 75, 134, 75
HE 55, 65, 127, 95
ERU 60, 70, 142, 85
GNM 60, 70, 133, 70

azeth
08-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Kashi is a HIE, because of this she has 200+ CHA with ~2000p worth of gear. We just thought it was the easiest way to go.

Ripcord
08-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Dark elf for hide and ultravision, pretty sure u can max stats anyway, tho maybe not until kunark

guineapig
08-09-2010, 02:34 PM
I prefer high elf myself...

Dark elf for hide and ultravision, pretty sure u can max stats anyway, tho maybe not until kunark

It's true, hide is a pretty good reason to be a dark elf. You will have to struggle a little bit more with charisma and might have to sink all your starting points into it.

But in the long run, come Velious when your charisma and int are maxed regardless of your race, having instant invis for charm breaks without taking up a spell slot is a nice feature that the other races don't give you.

Spud
08-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Too bad hide fails like 80% of the time (at least as a 1/2ling)

Id roll a human enchanter just to be different!

guineapig
08-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Too bad hide fails like 80% of the time (at least as a 1/2ling)

Id roll a human enchanter just to be different!

Just make sure you keep an illusion up 24/7. Nobody wants to see those ugly human mugs running around in purple robes. :p

Hasbinbad
08-09-2010, 02:51 PM
..hide does not work on a mob who's aggro list you are already on..

..also, High Elf.

mmiles8
08-09-2010, 02:52 PM
It's to break charm.

Hasbinbad
08-09-2010, 02:54 PM
It's to break charm.
I'm super smart, in case you weren't able to deduce that from my previous post..

Chodan
08-09-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't think I've seen another human enchanter besides myself.

Mappo Runt
08-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Erudite to be different!

Lowlife
08-09-2010, 04:00 PM
if ur a noob, darkelf max cha, u can do stein of moggok quest at level 8 to fund yourself, if twinked i'd go human max sta

azeth
08-09-2010, 04:10 PM
if ur a noob, darkelf max cha, u can do stein of moggok quest at level 8 to fund yourself, if twinked i'd go human max sta

sta is a very underrated enc stat

Spud
08-09-2010, 04:18 PM
wouldnt humans be the best race for enchanters end game?

Assuming CHA and INT is maxed, STA is the only stat left to raise. This is ignoring the value of the dark elf's hide however.

mmiles8
08-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Stamina is a bad stat to invest starting points to as any int caster. You'll only get ~2hp/stamina at 50 or 60 and less than 1 hp/stamina in the early levels - yes, less than 1. You'll get a better overall effect and more hp by investing points into your primary stat, maxing it with gear investments and then choosing hp/mana or flat hp gear once the stat is to your liking.

Malrubius
08-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Stamina is a bad stat to invest starting points to as any int caster. You'll only get ~2hp/stamina at 50 or 60. You'll get a better overall effect and more hp by investing points into your primary stat, maxing it with gear investments and then choosing hp/mana or flat hp gear once the stat is to your liking.

^This. STA is very nearly a complete waste of time for any caster. You might as well raise STR.

Omnimorph
08-10-2010, 02:00 PM
So true on the stamina front. Absolute waste of points. Put it in int or cha, then when you do max them you won't need to have as many slots dedicated to them and can fill them with hp / mana gear.

Overcast
08-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Troll and Max Dexterity.

(just kidding).

I played a DE and Gnome enchanter on diff servers. Both good. Hide's ok to break charm, but you get invis at an early level and it works just fine as well.

Gnomes can 'tinker' - which can be a fun tradeskill. They are small and it makes moving around seem easier.

Consider that the enchanter can look like any race anytime. So... really don't matter a ton. IMO. But most of the above comments have merit - High Elves get a great CHA to start out of the box with, but if it's anything like EQLive most enchanters are HE. Erudite's cool too - and DE as well, with their starting INT, you can dump points into CHA if you like.

Personally, I still put points into STA either way. Sure - it's not the greatest return but you may have a few more HP than another with the same gear.. so meh...

STA beats dexterity at least for an enchanter, lol.

Hasbinbad
08-10-2010, 04:32 PM
dark elves get the tier dal chain.. i had a live enchanter with full chain mail.. was lulz

Noleafclover
08-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Sta is a good place for stat points if you're min-maxing for down the line, when cha/int are easily maxed. IDK, the stats on insidious are pretty crazy. I'd think you'd be max cha and soft capped on int and taking a few mana items whatever your starting stats are here in classic. I know every ench I know is maxish cha, I don't think they have like <170 int or something. (take into account that in situations where you'll need the mana you could buff your int)

Also, don't think it's been fully spelled out: the utility of hide to break charm is - you don't have to wait 2 seconds to cast, so you can stop the angry ex-pet with a spell faster.

Eternal-Elf
08-11-2010, 01:29 AM
High Elf for sure.......

G13
08-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Dark Elf

Anyone who says otherwise is a noob

Seritaph
08-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I played high-elf on live. This time around, I'd probably go dark elf just to mix it up. Erudite looks interesting, but Tox is not my favorite zone and the I've been reading that the boats are acting strange.

Just remember to go agnostic whatever you choose.

Messianic
08-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Maybe someone's already said this, but the statistical differences between the races, particularly for casters, aren't all that relevant. The far more annoying differences are things that are systemically different - i.e. AC+Regen bonuses for Iksar Necros )plus starting in Kunark, which has leet leveling areas), built-in Ultravision+high int for Dark elves, better faction setups for other races...Regardless what anyone says in the way of "You can just raise your faction," raising your faction with EVERYONE is a gigantic timesink, and some factions are simply too annoying, undesirable, or counterproductive to raise. Dark elves can't (to my knowledge) receive an NK portal from a druid. That does affect things when trying to complete specific tasks.

The net difference between the highest competitors in raw stats, i.e. Erudite, High Elf - seem relatively insignificant. What's 10 int and 5 cha (or a similar difference) with equal gear? isn't that like 30-50 mana and maybe 1/4 a percent greater chance to hold a charm for an extra 2 seconds?

Seritaph
08-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Regardless what anyone says in the way of "You can just raise your faction," raising your faction with EVERYONE is a gigantic timesink, and some factions are simply too annoying, undesirable, or counterproductive to raise. Dark elves can't (to my knowledge) receive an NK portal from a druid. That does affect things when trying to complete specific tasks.

That's interesting. Never played a DE, and I didn't know that. I can say that playing as HIE, I never had a faction problem as agnostic with the use of illusions to complete my tasks.

Messianic
08-12-2010, 03:28 PM
That's interesting. Never played a DE, and I didn't know that. I can say that playing as HIE, I never had a faction problem as agnostic with the use of illusions to complete my tasks.

To clarify, there are backdoors to the NK port issue, i.e. invis, finding a wizard instead (which is a little harder)...Those druids that stand by the port-in location don't like those evil races, though...

but no matter what other people say (I played a DE past 55), faction always ends up affecting your options, so I usually find faction to be a larger issue and therefore might be inclined to play a light race based on that... However, I didn't play much in the Luclin and thereafter era, where old world factions were rended entirely irrelevant. At least Kunark separated cleanly between light/dark (FV and OT, respectively).

Gorroth
08-13-2010, 02:07 AM
Dark elves can't (to my knowledge) receive an NK portal from a druid.

Hooked on Invis werked fer meh.