PDA

View Full Version : New user - Considering a comeback after 14 years

Rinnion
02-26-2014, 04:52 AM
Hi! I just dusted off my old account on one of the real Everquest servers and then I found this site today.
Now I'm thinking of maybe starting up on Project 1999 instead of playing on the live server.
Whats the population like on the non-PVP server? I can see it's about 500people online now. But whats the population like during prime time?
Like, will I be able to find myself a group during my way up to 60?

Also whats the high levels like? Is there many guilds able to take on the high end content?

Thanks in advance! :)

Lojik
02-26-2014, 04:56 AM
Prime time gets up to 1250+ people now. Lots of groups to be had, particularly closer to 60. May have some trouble getting a group 1-10 but just head to east commonlands and youll prob be able to get a group. Plenty of guilds for end game stuff too.

Ajkuhuun
02-26-2014, 04:57 AM
During prime time there's around 1000-1200 people on, and all the way up grouping can be found fairly easily. Good leveling crowd! There are lots of guilds that can tackle high end content and they even have a rotation going on certain raid mobs so it's not completely contested (though there is still some healthy competition).

In short, jump on in the water is just fine!

NextGenesis88
02-26-2014, 05:28 AM
You will just be depressed playing on live. It's sad. It's a solo game now, people just fight things that their merc would kill without them so they can watch TV. Good luck even getting a response from them. I ask questions and they just run away. The community is shit and non-existant unless you are in a guild. You can solo yellows and reds like they are light blues and blues. Maybe things get better late in the game, but IMO if the journey is shit and by yourself then what's the point. I still log in for casual solo experience from time to time, but I don't expect anything great or close to the classic experience.

I was playing a Shaman having to heal the our mercs AND the Cleric because all he did was spam a nuke non-stop and afk'd more than half the time and even mid battle. I tried to make the best of it, but it was just pathetic. He didn't even buy any of his spells when I asked because I was sure he should have an upgraded heal spell. I had to talk him into going to buy spells that he should have already had to play his class right. He's like, "yeah you're right I did have a heal upgrade". yeah no shit sherlock you're a cleric.

You will be glad you came. :) This is still the best quality MMO experience to this day in my opinion.

Rinnion
02-26-2014, 06:03 AM
Well, sweet! Thanks for all replies and see ya'll in game :D

Just need to find out what class I should go for :confused:

Vindor
02-26-2014, 06:05 AM
I just started myself a couple of weeks ago. The population is healthy, maybe not as good as i could wish during off hours (being GMT timezone player) but so far i never had too much trouble finding or forming groups as long as you go to popular area like crushbone, oasis, unrest etc.

Only been exploring lvl 1-20 content so far tho. I would definetly advise you to give it a shot.

I would advise an sk or chanter :D

Sarajo
02-26-2014, 07:21 AM

How cool , welcome back!

I had the pleasure of meeting someone who hadn't played any EQ since '99 last night. It was his second day on the server. (asking someone how long they've been in p99 is a guaranteed conversation starter for me) You are definitely not alone in this regard.

I played lots off classes until I found what give me the rest of the classic story that I felt like I never got to finish. So I guess my advice for your question is: all of them if necessary.

innocent51
02-26-2014, 07:54 AM
If its any insight. I am euro and played lately on P99 and Live servers. If I am only considering the player population :
- on live (AB) you do almost never find a group before level 90+ because almost noone is leveling without crazy powerlever. Live EQ is not group-grind oriented anymore. Its mostly pots, boxes and mercs.
When you reach max level life is nice as a cleric, fine as pure dps and very hard as tank.
Since everything is instanced its relatively easy to join pickup raids and roll on loot like in every other mmo.

- on P99 If you dont have anything against non-optimal groups and low ZEM zones you can find groups any time. EC, oasis, loio, overthere... always has people to group with (maybe less on euro late mornings but never empty like it can be on live)

If you want only optimal group in high ZEM hard dungeon you have to play a wanted class (war/cleric/enc) and play at high population hours. It is very doable but will need you to work you social networking skills.
Since on P99 there is a no-box rule it means everyone playing rogues, clerics or warriors are always looking for people to play with, even twinks. Powerlevel does exist but is extremely rare since it implies two active players.
At raid level its back to old EQ, it pretty much means you need a guild and you need a decent guild. And since target are not instanced there's the race on spawn and such.
Like on old EQ if you are not in a top end guild you have to accept to come across twinks with 10 times your gear.

Tecmos Deception
02-26-2014, 08:12 AM

Glad to hear you'll be trying out p99! It takes some getting used to oldschool EQ, so don't let any surprises or frustrations as you get back into the swing of things scare you off.

Re: picking a class? Check out http://wiki.project1999.com/Loraen%27s_Class_Selection_Guide ... Loraen rates each class's strength/weakness in many aspects of gameplay and gives a brief description of each class. You could also check out the wiki's pages for each class (and race, race can make a pretty big difference in classic EQ) for more info. Finally, the class subforums at the bottom of the p99 forums index are full of "what class should i play?" and "should i play x or y class?" threads if you look through the threads there.

The bottom line for picking a class is to play the one you'll have the most fun with, but this kind of info should be able to help you decide which one(s) you will like without having to play them all to 60 to find out first hand :)

Lasmori
02-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Everquest on Live is... a totally different game. You pretty much solo doing quests (tasks) following the Hero's Journey achievement (because the gear is good). You will be able to buy a level 85 character soon. Paying for a subscription gives your character up to 4k of AAs (depending on your level). It's basically a modern "F2P" game with dated user interface and dated graphics.

Are these things bad? Really depends on your perspective to be honest. There are certain changes that I do like. Certain abilities/spells that classes have gained over the years that I really like. I absolutely refuse to use a Merc however and generally pretend that certain features just don't exist. (Like the entire Marketplace...).

There *is* a lot of fun to be had on Live. There is tons of content, though you may need to bring your own friends in order to experience anything that isn't the end game in a way that's even remotely like you might remember.

I am pretty new to P1999 myself, but I have to say... it's pretty amazing. There has been a recent influx of new players... so there are a pretty decent number of folks in the sub lvl 20 range right now.

P99 seems to exist in an odd space. Half the players seem to want the expansion progression to stop at Velious (Which should hit in the near future). The rest want content up to Luclin or PoP. What we have at the moment however is Kunark.

I have been playing a bit of both Live and P99 and I must say... P99 just feels "Everquest". P99 may not have the exact set of features or expansions that I personally want, but honestly it doesn't really matter. P99 embodies the spirit of "Everquest" while Live is... well... I don't honestly know.

Welcome to the server. Feel free to flag me down in-game if you want a lower level character to play with.

Juhstin
02-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Welcome! I would say try Red99 too but yes you'll enjoy it here on P99 for the most part. You'll still encounter the annoying parts of Classic EQ but hey, thats why its classic!

Rinnion
02-27-2014, 07:54 AM
Wow, really didn't think I would get so many replies! Such an active community!
Thanks again guys. I think I've finally found home :)

And well, I'm in the GMT+1 zone as well. Being from Sweden but living in Norway :cool:

Although I found lots of people playing in the late afternoon yesterday so it doesn't seem to be any kind of population related problems om p99.

I made myself a bard. But now I might consider rolling myself something else. Since it seems everyone is rolling a bard and swarmkiting themselves to the high-end content. Which to me sounds incredible boring since I'm a very social player...

Asap
02-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Us here on P99 love our game, and most of us who play are very active on the forums. It's something to do while were at work. :p

Welcome

Lyrith
02-27-2014, 11:27 AM
Wow, really didn't think I would get so many replies! Such an active community!
Thanks again guys. I think I've finally found home :)

And well, I'm in the GMT+1 zone as well. Being from Sweden but living in Norway :cool:

Although I found lots of people playing in the late afternoon yesterday so it doesn't seem to be any kind of population related problems om p99.

I made myself a bard. But now I might consider rolling myself something else. Since it seems everyone is rolling a bard and swarmkiting themselves to the high-end content. Which to me sounds incredible boring since I'm a very social player...

Very Social Player makes me think you should Roll: Warrior / Cleric / Enchanter. I can tell you right now Clerics / Warriors get pretty rare 30+, Enchanters don't but that is because they can charm solo, lots of chanters on this server.