PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Guide Help - Levels 5-10

mgellan
08-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Since I haven't seen a lot of peeps logging into the Wiki to help revise my hunting guide, I decided to post each section in a thread and see if I can elicit comments that can be incorporated. If thi 5-10 guide gets some response I'll post the 10-15 and so on, if I get my ass flamed then I won't :)

Level 5-10

Butcherblock Mountains - anything good for 5-10 here?

Commonlands (East and West)- rules all, the orcs are great xp, turn in any DF belts you find for extra experience back in town. Dervish Cutthroats here or the orc camps.

Innothule Swamp -

Qeynos Hills - Highly recommended once you can kill them (and have Cure Disease available) are rabid grizzlies - their pelts can be handed in at the temple in Qeynos for xp and plat (!)

Lesser Faydark -

Desert of Northern Ro - Dervish Cutthroats (grouping)

Desert of Southern Ro - Watch out for mad men and the occasional ancient cyclops

Steamfont - Elementals, Drakes, Skels, Harpies, near mino cave

Blackburrow – Train central, make a button that says TRAIN TO ZONE! Hunt the guards outside the zone as a youngster and progress deeper into the dungeon as you go. After you can clear the top level take the long ramp down to the third level and camp the bridge, pulling to the ledge before the bridge, which is a “safe spot” to heal, med, and camp. Warriors can loot their first bow and arrows here, armor drops are occasional, and occasional cracked staffs and other relatively valuable weapons drops makes this is a nice zone to build up your bank account from.

Crushbone - Home of the Crushbone clan of orcs. It is located directly to the north of the wood elf city of Kelethin, and is the major thorn in the sides of all the inhabitants of the island of Faydwer. The city is accessible from only one entrance, and is set up in the shape of a ring. To the west side of Crushbone lies a small building where elves and dwarves actually live, as well as the entrance to the slave pits. To the northeast lies the home of Emporer Crush. In the center is a large hill where the orc trainer trains his troops. A river flows around and through the area. One can find orcs, dwarven slaves and priests, and even the dark elf Ambassador Dvinn in the confines of Crushbone.

Ketsa
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Blackburrow : loot all gnoll teeth and give them to the barbarian lady in pit of doom / Halas.

probably the best possible exp for barbarians at this level. not sure if the quest is available for other races.

Sorn
08-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Butcherblock Mountains - anything good for 5-10 here?
A little exploration will yield a number of orc and goblin camps. The mountains make for great partitions that isolate them, but in the beginning it's pretty easy to get lost in the maze. All the interesting stuff is off the path.

Reiker
08-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Qeynos Hills - Highly recommended once you can kill them (and have Cure Disease available) are rabid grizzlies - their pelts can be handed in at the temple in Qeynos for xp and plat (!)
The risk vs. reward on the rabid grizzly is not equal to the rabid wolves. The rabid grizzly is one of the harder mobs in Qeynos Hills while you are in the level range, so by the time you can really effectively kill it you'll be moving on to wisps or bandits or the Freeport area. Also there is only 1 grizzly vs. 2 rabid wolves.

The wolves are level 4-5ish and you can find two in the SW portion of the zone, near the wall and the merchant cottage. Handing in a wolf pelt is a lot of exp, a grizzly pelt is only slightly more. The wolves also have a chance to drop a fleshy orb which can be turned in once you reach Freeport for a fine steel weapon, but they're unfortunately lore.

Combine this with gnoll fangs (about 8 gnoll spawns around blackburrow) and you easily have the easiest experience spot in the game at any point. The rabid wolves also give the same reward as the rabid grizzly, a copy of Cure Disease worth pretty good money at this level range.

I was able to do the rabid pelt, gnoll fang, moonstone, and bandit sash quests as an Erudite Necromancer (Cazic Thule). By the time I left the Qeynos area I was about warmly with pretty much every faction around.

Ralexia
08-09-2010, 09:41 PM
I agree with Reiker, Qeynos Hills is amazing. Sadly there are only 2 rabid wolves and they have a ~8 min respawn. The pelts drop 100% of the time and each turnin grants 4pp(2 from selling the spell, 2 from the questgiver). I can't see any spot giving better cash at that level.

The gnoll fangs also give great exp, although the moonstones gave hardly any exp. You get some nice faction though, which I bet is useful for a Necro.

liveitup1216
08-09-2010, 11:06 PM
the real question is... why does cynthia in rathe mt, while perfect for my 35-40 shaman self (37), seems painfully slow for exp. wahhhhh.

RKromwell
08-09-2010, 11:14 PM
The gnoll fangs also give great exp, although the moonstones gave hardly any exp. You get some nice faction though, which I bet is useful for a Necro.

You don't turn in the moonstones for exp. You do that for cash. The beer sells for seven silver, which is a lot more than the stones sell for.

mgellan
08-09-2010, 11:57 PM
the real question is... why does cynthia in rathe mt, while perfect for my 35-40 shaman self (37), seems painfully slow for exp. wahhhhh.

Hang on, this is the 5-10 thread, I'll post te 35-40 thread later!

Regards,
Mg

mmiles8
08-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Since I haven't seen a lot of peeps logging into the Wiki to help revise my hunting guide

I don't know if you knew this was there or not (I didn't notice it until today) there's a wiki posted on the FAQ. Maybe you could migrate it and have all the wikis in one wiki.

http://moestaverne.com/p1999wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Brut
08-10-2010, 02:44 AM
Froggies near Guk ent at Inno swamp, think they'll get you to 7-9 at least. Sro entrance regions has a few lvls higher ones.

And if you're an SK, consider the skeleton camps in the Feerrott. Or Cazic Thule entrance area lizards, which aren't bad up to 10-12.

fugazi
08-10-2010, 04:10 AM
2-6 Qeynos Sewers

-Go down once you're lvl2. Camp the Injured Rat and Bloated Alligator spawns. Kill all random lvl1 and 2's too.
-At lvl 3 you should add in the mercenary camp thats just around the corner.
-At 4 try and mix in the Nesting Rat camp. If Drosco Finlayer is up, you're screwed. He's lvl9.
-Keep it up till lvl5/6. Once you're at 7, you could camp Cuburt way in the back. The frogloks there also drop netted armor which you could sell to monks for a nice penny.

The pro's of the Sewers? They're quiet, got a juicy xp bonus and you get tons of magical items for this level. +5 hp earrings, +5 hp rings, +3 int earrings, 2 ac 3 cha necklaces and some other random crap. The small alligators drop skins that sell for over a gold and the bloated alligator drops stackable eggs that sell for over 3g. Plus, youll be skilling your swimming! ;D

Ralexia
08-15-2010, 04:59 AM
Qeynos Hills(update):

There are 2 rabid wolf spawns. One at +2000,+1000 spawns a lvl 5 wolf and another at +885,+850 spawns a lvl 3 wolf. Each spawns every 6 minutes and 40 seconds, or when there is 50 seconds remaining on the previous spawns' corpse timer. They drop the pelt 100% of the time which can be turned into Priestess Caulria in the temple in North Qeynos for ~2pp in coin plus an endure disease spell that sells for ~2pp. This gives you positive paladin and guard faction as well, however, it gives you negative faction with the Bloodsabers(the Qeynos Sewers vendors and guildmasters).

I killed wolves and other trash from 4 to 6.5 on my erudite necromancer, saving all the pelts. Then I turned in 40 pelts all at once, leveling to 8.33ish and earning about 160pp. However, I lowered my bloodsabers faction from amiable to apprehensive. Very fast exp and very good coin.

fugazi
08-15-2010, 06:33 AM
Qeynos Hills(update):
I killed wolves and other trash from 4 to 6.5 on my erudite necromancer, saving all the pelts. Then I turned in 40 pelts all at once, leveling to 8.33ish and earning about 160pp. However, I lowered my bloodsabers faction from amiable to apprehensive. Very fast exp and very good coin.

Insanely nice, I gotta remember this one! Its easier for a pet class as you wont get rabies of course :)