PDA

View Full Version : Any good relevant warrior class guides out there? (yet another warrior question)

Thulghor
08-10-2010, 12:51 AM
So I'm trying to not totally suck as a non-twinked ogre warrior n00blet (currently level 18. Yes this is my main). I played a paladin on live, but didn't do much tanking with him. Being a high elf paladin, trying to tank felt like I was a hemophiliac anorexic kid with a bone density disorder that was being picked on by all the jocks. Seemed to always end in a corpse run.

I never even touched a warrior before, nor did any of my friends play warriors to any reasonable length. So this is a brand new thing for me. I like ogres because you're big, strong, dumb, butt ugly, and you meet all kinds of interesting people...then eat them. Tasty people. :D

Here in P99, I've found myself picking up the tanking role a lot in groups, which is fine, but I'm still pretty new at it. My aggro sucks something terribad, but I hear that is just the way it is until you get up there and have twin Yaks or something. So since I'm a poor bastard, it's going to be a while.

My only other tanking experience is as a raid tank in WoW, which isn't really relevant to here (other than situational awareness and very basic concepts).

So I guess my question I'm asking is are there any warrior class guides floating around somewhere that would be relevant to classic EQ? Most of the stuff I find is recent EQ related, which is an entirely different animal.

Some of the things I have questions about are:

1) Stat focuses. I keep hearing I should pump up AC and hitpoints a lot, and add dex once I get proccing weapons. Yet I hear stamina isn't all that useful until later levels when the multipliers change. What is the cap for stats?

2) Slam or Kick? (which is better for DPS and interrupts, or are they the same?)

3) Tanking vs DPS: Should I duel wield for tanking, or use a two-hander? If I'm DPSing, should I use a two-hander or duel wield? (Note that I don't have any procing weapons).

4) I've heard that for duel wielding, you want a very fast main hand, and a best ratio offhand, due to damage bonuses only being applied to main hand. Yet I've also been told that it doesn't even really matter until around level 28 or so.

5) Any quests that I should be looking at that would be helpful? I was able to bank an ok amount of starting cash mindlessly grinding out the lizard tails/lizard meat quests in Oggok and the bone chips quests in Grobb, then selling all the rusty weapons and rawhide. Anything else I should look at?

Bonus question: What's a good questline/strategy to get non-KoS to Freeport? More specifically, the Freeport Militia? I hear killing paladins is good, but they all con "Gonna eat your face" red to me. :)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you.

Eternal-Elf
08-10-2010, 02:20 AM
I think you're possibly reading too much into man.
You already said the only downfall to your warrior....and that's you're not twinked.

Other than that, hit autoattack and you are set man.

and Slam has better chance of interupting if I remember correctly.

AND all stats will eventually get better with better equiptment. At your level i'd go HP and AC

Virtuosos
08-10-2010, 02:26 AM
duel wield is generally for tanking as you can hit more often and keep aggro.....i dont really ever see high end warriors use 2h weapons except for the occasionally dps when we have multiple warriors -shrug-

and if you want militia faction, i believe killing orcs helps. and yeah killing knights of truth npc's are good (but it makes you kos to north freeport which has the bank)...id try to get NFP faction instead of WFP and EFP since you can just use the tunnels.

wait till saturday, 1pm CST or so....lucan will spawn, just get a hit on him while people are killing him and you'll be admirable to north freeport =p

Tronjer
08-10-2010, 06:57 AM
So I guess my question I'm asking is are there any warrior class guides floating around somewhere that would be relevant to classic EQ? Most of the stuff I find is recent EQ related, which is an entirely different animal.

Would be thankful about that as well, as I forgot a lot of the classic warrior theory crafting. Like if begging adds to hate, at what level slam/kick can stun, etc.

Anyway, regarding some of your questions:

- Only worthwhile quests are for armor and these you could not accomplish at your level. So rather watch out at EC tunnel.

- There are just a few weapons to consider. You can get a free Painbringer in SolB. This one usually rots at royal camp and is easy to obtain by camping zone for some time and asking /ooc. If you got the money already, purchase Obsidian Shards and don't bother with Lariats, as those are subpar in terms of aggro. 2H is rather appropriate for solo/duo/non aggro situations.

- Always stand as close as possible to the mob. Proximity is your friend for keeping aggro and root may help you here.

- Gear focus. Actually there is not much choice for a warrior. Set of crafted armor, Skull Shaped Barbute, Heroes Bracer, hp rings (Adamantite Band, Platinum Fire Wedding Ring), Crested Spaulders, Dented Brass Mask, Runed Bone Fork, etc. Each of these can be aquired for a few hundred pp, whereas HBC, Cloak of Shadows, Yaks and FBSS are quite expensive.

Reiker
08-10-2010, 09:16 AM
1) Stat focuses. I keep hearing I should pump up AC and hitpoints a lot, and add dex once I get proccing weapons. Yet I hear stamina isn't all that useful until later levels when the multipliers change. What is the cap for stats?
AC and then hp/stam. Stamina is pretty much good at any level for a warrior, but yeah it gets better as you level up.

2) Slam or Kick? (which is better for DPS and interrupts, or are they the same?)

Kick is damage, slam can interrupt casting if you time it correctly. I believe (could be wrong) at a certain level (55?) kick gets a chance to interrupt. Might not even work on emu, though.

3) Tanking vs DPS: Should I duel wield for tanking, or use a two-hander? If I'm DPSing, should I use a two-hander or duel wield? (Note that I don't have any procing weapons).

Really depends on what weapons you have available to you. For example, if you pick up a Shiny Brass Halberd and you're using really bad (ie. tarnished, bronze) 1handers, it'll be better to use the 2hander as the extra damage will be more aggro. Generally as you level up and get access to better weapons, you won't use 2 handers much. Exceptions possibly being Obsidian Flamberge (2h version of Obsidian Shard), or Axe of the Slayers (excellent weapon to use whilst soloing).

4) I've heard that for duel wielding, you want a very fast main hand, and a best ratio offhand, due to damage bonuses only being applied to main hand. Yet I've also been told that it doesn't even really matter until around level 28 or so.

Damage bonus goes up a point every few levels, but unless you have a very fast weapon it's not incredibly important. You gain a small amount of aggro every swing, so putting a fast weapon in your primary can translate to slightly better aggro (as your secondary can fail dual wield checks).

5) Any quests that I should be looking at that would be helpful? I was able to bank an ok amount of starting cash mindlessly grinding out the lizard tails/lizard meat quests in Oggok and the bone chips quests in Grobb, then selling all the rusty weapons and rawhide. Anything else I should look at?

Not really, essentially everything you fight in feerrott can make you money. Lots of humanoid mobs which results in a lot of rusty weapons and armor, which are the most valuable items to sell. There's not a lot of great quests for evil chars, the first thing you'll want to seriously look at is Crafted Armor (South Karana).

About weapons: There's pretty much only 3 good options for aggro in classic. It's a tough road to 25, but once you get there you can proc Gnoll Hide Lariats (stun). Your dps will be terrible, but you'll start grabbing aggro from the procs. These are basically free since you could get a couple from people in Splitpaw, or if there's no one there, you can camp the Refugee Splitpaw in Blackburrow who's only level 14 or so. Your next option are Obsidian Shards. These cost a bit more (200-300pp?) but proc at 16, so if you can pick up 1 or even 2 before then you'll be in really good shape. These also allow you to do slightly more damage than the lariats. Your final option, of course, is a SSoY.

Reiker
08-10-2010, 09:19 AM
- Always stand as close as possible to the mob. Proximity is your friend for keeping aggro and root may help you here.

Does nothing unless the mob's rooted.

Dantes
08-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Speaking to the damage cap/dmg bonus, I am level 25 and I can still only hit for double the stat, a 6 dmg weapon does 12 max... So I would venture to guess that those saying the damage bonus doesn't kick in until level 28 are correct. Some people say it's level 20, but I saw no difference in damage from 19 to 20, even with STR buffs. I hit for double the damage of the weapon stat, that's it. I seem to remember in classic live that when I dinged a specific level my damage output went up, suddenly I was kicking ass. Thinking that's level 28. 3 more levels to go.

rioisk
08-10-2010, 01:39 PM
yeah it's pretty ridiculous how low melee damage output is compared to mobs

Overcast
08-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Steelwarrior.com

Sorry can't get to site to link anything @ work ;)

Dantes
08-10-2010, 03:39 PM
The problem with Steelwarrior is that everything is not classic. Much of the new content has replaced the old.