PDA

View Full Version : Beta testing Velious

Swish
03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vQ3DyuY.jpg

For all you "VERRRRIOUSSS NOW!!" types... the more people who beta test, the better...right?

Surprised that only 100 or so people are on at the moment considering the huge hype. People don't wanna work for it? :p

Wrench
03-03-2014, 07:02 PM
1 this aint peak hours

2 it will get more people when this goes in:

There will be some NPC's at the NRo docks soon to help with various things, such as porting, useful clickies (Rez, buffs, etc), and possibly level increases.

Swish
03-03-2014, 07:15 PM
So you're not surprised at a 10:1 ratio? I know Kunark beta was quiet, but I thought there'd be a higher pop than the red server at any time of day. Maybe I'll post again when its "peak hours" :)

zanderklocke
03-03-2014, 07:17 PM
I dunno maybe this is just me but I had fun running through the zones and checking things out but working to get loot/camp stuff when it will all get deleted just doesn't sound that appealing.

Tecmos Deception
03-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Swish complains for months that we're too excited about Velious. Then it (well... the beta) gets here and he complains that we aren't excited enough! :)

Wrench
03-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Swish complains for months that we're too excited about Velious. Then it (well... the beta) gets here and he complains that we aren't excited enough! :)

one of your best posts ever, hands down

Daldaen
03-03-2014, 07:24 PM
I think he is complaining that people excitedness didn't transfer into activity making the server more accurate and bug free.

What Zander said I'd imagine is how most feel on the matter. I don't have too much of an interest in doing Shawl quest just to redo it in a few months :/. Though I will run around check on mob spawns / quest trigger phrases.

Should do the fungi staff roll, number of legit bugs posted and fixed is your number of tickets. Or DE Masks :P.

Swish
03-03-2014, 07:26 PM

The irony, right? You all get what you want, then only a handful (relatively) want to help with the testing :p

At least nobody will be a posting a thread about "why is it taking so long" ;)

Tubben
03-03-2014, 07:27 PM
I am 35 and i need to level up ;P I would beta test if i would be 60.

Shiftin
03-03-2014, 07:27 PM
I transferred last night, but it's hard as hell for melee right now because you can't melee bind in velious, and running 5 velious size zones to get back to your body naked blows.

baalzy
03-03-2014, 07:30 PM
I'll be giving it a try when I get home tonight. Great thing about 30min repop on the mob you're camping is it gets ya plenty of time to box velious.

Assuming you can log into both servers from 1 LS account? or do you need separate accounts to do this? If it needs to be separate accounts then I'll have to wait until the levelup NPCs are available so I can have a second toon to explore with.

Swish
03-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Yes you can login to both at the same time, 1 blue, 1 red, 1 beta... if you really wanted, from the same login account.

Schortt
03-03-2014, 07:39 PM
There are tons of quest to do in Velious that don't require serious faction grinding, especially if you can sneak. Things like pathing, mob location, and respawn time also don't really require grinding - you can grab a few dudes and crawl through a dungeon to check this stuff without having to spend hours killing the same set of mobs.

That said, getting kindly (let alone max ally) with any of the factions without the raid mobs around to provide big hits is going to be a pretty big effort. Checking the quests that require this level of faction will take awhile unless we get some artificial faction setting NPCs or mobs to kill that provide bigger hits.

Tecmos Deception
03-03-2014, 08:28 PM
At least nobody will be a posting a thread about "why is it taking so long" ;)

Yeah. I'd blow up on anyone who can't handle at least 2-3 months of beta for a more polished release. Pretty sure I'll play beta nonstop (maybe boxing red) until it goes live now, though my "testing" might not be stellar since I don't know how things are supposed to be without researching every single thing I encounter :-\

add294
03-03-2014, 08:38 PM
can i auto level up to test? I dont have any characters high enough level.

Asap
03-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Swish, does your cleric happen to be in oot? lol

Swish
03-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Swish, does your cleric happen to be in oot? lol

Not right now, no :p

StinkyGreenBud
03-04-2014, 12:22 AM
I don't wanna spoil the "new" content. I'll just wait. As i did for kunark. Thanks beta testers.

NextGenesis88
03-04-2014, 12:49 AM
I don't wanna spoil the "new" content. I'll just wait. As i did for kunark. Thanks beta testers.

Bro... Just think, you could be the guy who finds and solves a huge bug that makes every Velious zone crash... :) Then nobody at all gets Velious. What an ass. :rolleyes:

dbouya
03-04-2014, 03:02 AM
a lot of people probably don't consider themselves expert enough to really know what velious is supposed to look like. a lot of players on p99 are low level players too and velious doesn't have any newbie zones?

anyone know how long the beta will last/take?

Unidus
03-04-2014, 05:56 AM
I ran through every zone I could and so far all the spawns seem ok and everything looked good no warping mobs or anything like that. Haven't been to Thurg yet since it is down ATM but will check it out tomorrow. The WW dragons seemed to be in the right spots and looked to be pathing ok.

loramin
03-04-2014, 01:42 PM
I dunno maybe this is just me but I had fun running through the zones and checking things out but working to get loot/camp stuff when it will all get deleted just doesn't sound that appealing.

Maybe the devs should offer some small reward for playing on beta. Not "you get to keep everything you loot" of course, but maybe "one 150% xp potion for every verified bug you file." ("Verified" so that it only encourages filing meaningful bugs).

That way there'd be more incentive for people who love their characters on blue/red to play on a server that doesn't directly help those characters ... which would mean more beta testers and a higher quality Velious when it is released.

Just a thought.

Haynar
03-04-2014, 01:51 PM
The great thing about testing, is you get to have stuff fixed. There is some experimental pet hate code on test to aid in group setting. Would be nice to get that tested. There is soon to be more code that should stop mobs jumping around snared to. The snare code is destined for live. The pet hate code, maybe.

H

Nuggie
03-04-2014, 02:03 PM
anyone know how long the beta will last/take?

Nilbog is known for being real particular about things being right. I would say 4 months, if people start helping. Maybe more if not. There is a lot to test, really. Need to make sure all raid encounters are the right difficulty. That takes a raid force of people to go kill it all.

My suggestion is, everyone pick a random non-raid zone and go do some reading/researching/googling. Don't forget the way back machine. If you do a bunch of research on one zone you can hold your head high and say you helped speed things along. When raid zones are released, give a shout out in /ooc and ask if anyone wants to go kill something bigger.

Nirgon
03-04-2014, 02:15 PM
The great thing about testing, is you get to have stuff fixed. There is some experimental pet hate code on test to aid in group setting. Would be nice to get that tested. There is soon to be more code that should stop mobs jumping around snared to. The snare code is destined for live. The pet hate code, maybe.

H

Dat Velious server + Haynar return.

P99 chips way up atm.

loramin
03-04-2014, 02:15 PM
help because you wanna help or dont help at all
rewards! pfffff

I wasn't around for Kunark beta, so I don't know: maybe the community has enough motivated testers without any reward. If so, no need for a reward.

If not however, bug bounties have been shown to work in other software projects, so it's not that crazy of an idea. Personally I would rather play on a more heavily tested Velious, where a few hard working testers got a very minimal reward, than play on a less heavily tested Velious.

Plus, rewards would have the added benefit of getting people to test corner cases that wouldn't otherwise get found. If all people are doing is logging around and running through zones things like pet hate in groups (for instance) won't get checked.

Tecmos Deception
03-04-2014, 05:05 PM

H

What DID you do with pet hate? I tashed Brood Mother (or Master? Can't remember) to pull her and 26 attacks doing ~1300 damage from my charmed kobold champion didn't pull her off of me :(

Swish
03-04-2014, 06:41 PM
help because you wanna help or dont help at all
rewards! pfffff

phacemeltar
03-04-2014, 06:52 PM
i wish there was more groups to hunt with on beta server.. did a /w all 30 45 and i was the only one that came up

Swish
03-04-2014, 07:37 PM
I guess the P99 newcomers are all busy working on getting a toon into the 50s so that they're raid ready for Velious when it drops.

It's a shame as there's likely to be more unreported bugs in places like ToFS and lower level mob areas.

Samoht Farstrider
03-04-2014, 07:49 PM
so how do I get on to explore?
I log on to the server but cannot create a character.

Artaenc
03-04-2014, 07:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vQ3DyuY.jpg

For all you "VERRRRIOUSSS NOW!!" types... the more people who beta test, the better...right?

Surprised that only 100 or so people are on at the moment considering the huge hype. People don't wanna work for it? :p

I'm definitely going to tear up velious now that there is no consequences but have not had much time. Can't wait. Any clues on how long beta is going to be?

Swish
03-04-2014, 08:00 PM
so how do I get on to explore?
I log on to the server but cannot create a character.

Log onto the character you want to transfer, and type /beta

I'm definitely going to tear up velious now that there is no consequences but have not had much time. Can't wait. Any clues on how long beta is going to be?

Talk of 3-4 months, obviously the more people that get involved and report bugs back, the quicker it could make it for a release.

Many are too busy worrying/stockpiling more plat/items in EC to cope with the player led inflation that'll be hitting the server though.

August
03-04-2014, 08:09 PM
I would really want to play the lower level stuff. I logged in to find only 60s everywhere. Ry'Gorr orcs were completely uncamped, but I couldn't take them solo.

If anyone would like to play with me, on any of my low level characters, just PM me here or in-game on any of my chars in my sig. I would LOVE to destroy beta, I'm just not going to log on as a 39 monk and solo the front two centurions by myself :)

Swish
03-05-2014, 12:43 AM
1 this aint peak hours

2 it will get more people when this goes in:

102 on right now. Still not peak hours tho right?