PDA

View Full Version : SK, Paladin, or Bard?

Buns
03-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Hey all...

I'm back. :( I created a post a few weeks ago asking advice on a decent solo character after I wasn't a fan of Enchanter's play style. I was a lot of helpful suggestion, and whittled it down to either a Necro or a Druid.

I recently got both to the high teens, and haven't really enjoyed either. Necro I mainly didn't like because I just don't like Iksar, despite trying to, and I felt super squishy. Druid was fine, but again, I felt really squishy and the solo style was very similar to Enchanter (charming), which I am not a fan of. I know I can quad kite when I get higher, but I don't want to play a character until level 34 or whatever before I know whether or not I'll enjoy them. I also couldn't get over the fact that for times when I don't want to solo, neither class is that desirable, so grouping would be harder. I have a hard enough time finding a group on my Cleric, so I can't imagine how hard it is for a Druid or Necro.

I think I want to avoid casters. I feel like I've given them a decent shot since I've tried three now up to the late teens, and I'm just not sure it's for me.

Now that Velious will be out soon, and the exp penalties are hopefully going away, I think I'd like to try a hybrid. I like the idea of being in plate, so I can take more damage, as well as being able to melee, which I think would be closer to my playstyle. I'm avoiding monk because as this is more of a first character, the weight restrictions would affect my ability to get money, and their gear seems pretty expensive.

Few questions, I guess.

1. From what I've read, SK is better at Paladin at soloing and tanking. Is it even worth considering a Paladin?

2. I have about 600pp. I imagine I should prioritize those 55hp/5ac rings, but that would eat up pretty much all my money. Is that still smart to do?

3. How do hybrids deal with not being able to bind themselves? Do you just shout for binds until someone finds one?

4. Finally, I put Bard in there because I know they can solo well, but probably are more akin to a caster, since they don't really melee. Would they be worth trying over a Paladin or SK? I just feel like I see so many Bards running around.

I don't know what I want to do. I'm sick of doing the 1 - 20 grind just to find a character. :p

Thanks for the help again!

Rhambuk
03-05-2014, 04:04 PM
didn't read, SK or bard.

Never play a paladin for any reason, they are terrible for everything in every scenario no matter what.

(my personal opinion as I hate paladins and refuse to group with or help them in anyway, carry on)

Buns
03-05-2014, 04:13 PM
didn't read, SK or bard.

Never play a paladin for any reason, they are terrible for everything in every scenario no matter what.

(my personal opinion as I hate paladins and refuse to group with or help them in anyway, carry on)

Not even if I make it a female dwarf with a beard? :(

Rhambuk
03-05-2014, 04:17 PM
only if you go /anon, don't cast spells, and tell people you're a warrior that only uses 2hs or 1hs and shield.

Fett
03-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Not even if I make it a female dwarf with a beard? :(

If you did this, and permanently carried around a stein in one hand, I would do whatever you wanted.

Malone88
03-05-2014, 04:23 PM
My two cents.

SK better than Paladin for soloing with Snare/Fear/FD. Both are good tanks.

Bards are great soloers and great in groups, but are a LOT of work to play.

600pp to get 55Hp rings = good way to start.

If you go SK or Paladin, pick up a Sword of Skyfire for around 200pp.

Fael
03-05-2014, 04:24 PM
The biggest change for pallies and sk will occur when their def skill is increased. This will happen late in velious (or perhaps early). Also, pally self heal over time is amazing for tanking in velious, which is available day 1.

That said, Kunark era, my 60 paladin tanks about as well as my 60 bard. Although my bard is geared to the teeth, but then so is my pally (just not as much). The problem i think lies in the fact that AC is much less effective than it probably should be--and kunark armor isnt that great for them.

Dolic

Pint
03-05-2014, 05:17 PM
That said, Kunark era, my 60 paladin tanks about as well as my 60 bard.

id be happy to help you test that theory bc it sounds pretty off base to me!

Rhambuk
03-05-2014, 05:21 PM
id be happy to help you test that theory bc it sounds pretty off base to me!

yeah it does, sounds like paladins need a nerfing!

Adamas
03-05-2014, 05:34 PM

hehehe

Ofaelol
03-05-2014, 05:47 PM

We obviously need to keep the Hybrid EXP Penalty.

Wanderling
03-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Or everyone will reroll the bestest class in all of Norrath and all its moons: RANGERS!!!

Danth
03-05-2014, 07:39 PM
A) Make a Bard, swarm kite to level 50, gets everyone hating your guts from taking all the outdoor zone spawns, then quit when experience gets "slow" (even though it's still faster than what any other class can manage).
B) Make a Paladin, then quit at level 30 when you realize that their solo capability sucks and they won't have much of a purpose in raids even if you do level it.
C) Make a Shadow Knight, and quit at level 40 when you get bored with it because it doesn't really come into its own as a class until very high levels.
D) Make a Ranger, get laughed at nonstop for it, and quit because they solo poorly and most groups would rather go short-handed than invite you.

The above describes the life of probably the majority of hybrids on P1999. I say that as someone with a 60 SK and a 50+ Paladin.

Danth

Wanderling
03-05-2014, 07:50 PM
It is funny, though. I was the tank AND puller for a mistmoore group yesterday and we did amazingly (Ranger). You can play all the classes well and be invaluable to others. People just have preconceived and oft incorrect notions about certain things/classes.

I solo quite well on my ranger, actually - group well, too. Are hybrids the best at any one thing? Well no...kinda the point of the word "hybrid" no?

Play what you have fun playing because that's really the point anyway.

Clark
03-06-2014, 09:55 AM
didn't read, SK or bard.

lol

Mirana
03-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Buy 4/45 rings, not 5/55 rings, spend the extra 300p on other stuff.

webrunner5
03-06-2014, 12:03 PM
It is funny, though. I was the tank AND puller for a mistmoore group yesterday and we did amazingly (Ranger). You can play all the classes well and be invaluable to others. People just have preconceived and oft incorrect notions about certain things/classes.

I solo quite well on my ranger, actually - group well, too. Are hybrids the best at any one thing? Well no...kinda the point of the word "hybrid" no?

Play what you have fun playing because that's really the point anyway.

A Ranger works pretty well until level 30 twinked. Then grab your ass. It is all downhill after that. :eek:

Skittlez
03-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Paladin or bust.

nilzark
03-06-2014, 02:56 PM
SK best out of non-squishy classes. If I could do it all over again, would not have rolled a Dark Elf, mostly because SK is 75% warrior 25% caster. But your spells have good agro and FD and Fear are nice.

Skittlez
03-06-2014, 05:23 PM
SK best out of non-squishy classes. If I could do it all over again, would not have rolled a Dark Elf, mostly because SK is 75% warrior 25% caster. But your spells have good agro and FD and Fear are nice.

I am going roll mine as either a DE or an Iksar. I would roll Dark Elf for two reasons. First is that Dark Elves have the coolest plate look hands down. The second reason is that I have a suit of Enchanted Tier'Dal Armor that is my warriors current suit to maximize dex. The suit is great for a warrior and even better for a SK.

The suit of armor is making it a tough choice. I can start a new one and have to gear him or start another DE and just be twinked as fuck.

Rhambuk
03-06-2014, 05:36 PM
I would never make a dark elf. 2 reasons,

1) I can't stand ultravision

2) they are disgustingly common everyone is a DE

Buns
03-06-2014, 06:03 PM
I would never make a dark elf. 2 reasons,

1) I can't stand ultravision

2) they are disgustingly common everyone is a DE

You hate everyone. :(

Fael
03-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Lets do it pint.

Lets go to howling stone south. Ill bring both bard and pally. And u bring ur cleric. lets test which one is more effective tank.

Dolic

Rhambuk
03-06-2014, 06:07 PM
You hate everyone. :(

I don't hate you,

yet!

I guess its the hipster in me, if its popular I don't like it. Just gotta go against the grain.

if DE's could be paladins... I don't think id play here

Crawdad
03-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Hey all...

I'm back. :( I created a post a few weeks ago asking advice on a decent solo character after I wasn't a fan of Enchanter's play style. I was a lot of helpful suggestion, and whittled it down to either a Necro or a Druid.

I recently got both to the high teens, and haven't really enjoyed either. Necro I mainly didn't like because I just don't like Iksar, despite trying to, and I felt super squishy. Druid was fine, but again, I felt really squishy and the solo style was very similar to Enchanter (charming), which I am not a fan of. I know I can quad kite when I get higher, but I don't want to play a character until level 34 or whatever before I know whether or not I'll enjoy them. I also couldn't get over the fact that for times when I don't want to solo, neither class is that desirable, so grouping would be harder. I have a hard enough time finding a group on my Cleric, so I can't imagine how hard it is for a Druid or Necro.

I think I want to avoid casters. I feel like I've given them a decent shot since I've tried three now up to the late teens, and I'm just not sure it's for me.

Now that Velious will be out soon, and the exp penalties are hopefully going away, I think I'd like to try a hybrid. I like the idea of being in plate, so I can take more damage, as well as being able to melee, which I think would be closer to my playstyle. I'm avoiding monk because as this is more of a first character, the weight restrictions would affect my ability to get money, and their gear seems pretty expensive.

Few questions, I guess.

1. From what I've read, SK is better at Paladin at soloing and tanking. Is it even worth considering a Paladin?

2. I have about 600pp. I imagine I should prioritize those 55hp/5ac rings, but that would eat up pretty much all my money. Is that still smart to do?

3. How do hybrids deal with not being able to bind themselves? Do you just shout for binds until someone finds one?

4. Finally, I put Bard in there because I know they can solo well, but probably are more akin to a caster, since they don't really melee. Would they be worth trying over a Paladin or SK? I just feel like I see so many Bards running around.

I don't know what I want to do. I'm sick of doing the 1 - 20 grind just to find a character. :p

Thanks for the help again!

First, I wouldn't discount monks. The weight thing really doesn't matter til later, and a lot of really good monk gear is cheap.

1) Pal/SK both fine, just play what you like. Both hold aggro better than 9 out of 10 Warriors on this server. Paladins bring less to the table though IMO.

2) 5ac/55hp rings all the way. For 600-650pp you should be able to get Rings+Sword of Skyfire if you go SK/Pal, Rings+Saiyn's Claw if Bard. Later pick up Crested Mistmoore Shield+Banded/Bronze, then upgrade to quest armor.

3) Its really easy to find someone to bind you, unless its a weird zone like NK or FoB.

4) Bards solo better than the knights, but usually/hopefully aren't tanking. You can swarm-(diaf), charm-, chant- or fear-kite, so plenty of options. Great Crowd control class, which you don't really see in most MMOs.

If you're looking for solo/utility role in groups, go Bard. If you're looking to tank in groups/solo sometimes, go SK. If you want to tank in groups/hate yourself solo, go Paladin.

cries4hardcore
03-14-2014, 01:34 AM
didn't read, SK or bard.

I get this way when people suggest inviting a Druid to the group

Danth
03-14-2014, 01:41 AM
Pal/SK both fine, just play what you like. Both hold aggro better than 9 out of 10 Warriors on this server.

...And the 10th only looks good because he's taunting off a Paladin or Shadow Knight.

Danth

Frug
03-14-2014, 08:30 AM
I don't hate you,

yet!

I guess its the hipster in me, if its popular I don't like it. Just gotta go against the grain.

if DE's could be paladins... I don't think id play here

Unfortunately it's now popular to be a hipster.