PDA

View Full Version : Question about server direction

blinkkispro
03-18-2014, 09:55 PM
This may seem stupid, but i was wondering if the server will ever past velious (i know this expansion is currently in beta) Just wondering if a few years down the line we might for instance see PoP again?

Ahldagor
03-18-2014, 10:05 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Thulack
03-18-2014, 10:06 PM
The Dev's have stated that xpac's will wend with velious. They will do all the patching through velious up til luclin and then afterwords might do some custom content. Aa's and Instancing were both ripped out of the client though so don't ever expect to see them in a custom form.

Swish
03-19-2014, 06:40 AM
http://asset-8.soup.io/asset/1406/6177_8c5b.gif
http://media.giphy.com/media/coTZrQQSFXDuE/giphy.gif?

myriverse
03-19-2014, 07:43 AM
Cats on the moon too cool for this group, anyway.

Robben
03-19-2014, 08:59 AM
EQ stopped being EQ after Velious

While I enjoyed some of the PoP raids, it was a different game.

rawwhide
03-19-2014, 11:08 AM
I honestly miss Luclin. The bazaar, mounts, new character models, and AA's were introduced in this expansion. PoP for me was were the game changed, giving everyone instant ports and a localized area to get spells. PoK was the place to be and bind to. Even P99 isn't representative of the original game having features that were later introduced such as linking items. For me EQ stopped being EQ after Luclin when PoP introduced instant porting. No, I didnt play a porting class either. It was one thing to wait for the spires to activate and another thing entirely to just click on a book in PoK.

Byrjun
03-19-2014, 11:11 AM
Devs has stated they have considered custom content, such as adding the PoP planes in places in the old world, could maybe have Ssra connect to Kunark and edit the lore slightly - could add in Veksar as a custom zone, etc.

lecompte
03-19-2014, 11:13 AM
The dev's are creative people who may want the game to be fun as much as we do. They'll come up with something -- but, no cats on the moon :)

Tzeriel
03-19-2014, 11:48 AM
They are going to need to add AAs at some point. People need a reason to keep grinding. No AAs = no longevity.

mgellan
03-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Aa's and Instancing were both ripped out of the client though so don't ever expect to see them in a custom form.

Thats not accurate, they haven't changed the client... they could implement AAs and instanced content if the future expansions warranted them, it's still in the core eqemu code.

Regards,
Mg

Lisset
03-19-2014, 11:57 AM
They are going to need to add AAs at some point. People need a reason to keep grinding. No AAs = no longevity.

Longevity? This server has already been around for many years and frankly, who cares about longevity? This server is free and exists for no reason other than for the love of the game that was.

It's players like you who have ruined your own games. You'll not ruin mine!

Wrench
03-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Devs has stated they have considered custom content, such as adding the PoP planes in places in the old world, could maybe have Ssra connect to Kunark and edit the lore slightly - could add in Veksar as a custom zone, etc.

veksar would be awesome, i would also enjoy a re-tuned loy

however both would change the dynamics of what the project is striving to be

Asap
03-19-2014, 11:58 AM

3 years of kunark would like to have a word with you

Vlak
03-19-2014, 12:05 PM
I think the problem that SOE/Verant had was that hey kept pushing out sub-par content too quickly. I mean, Humans were supposed to have the EXP bonus, not halflings, stupid high numbers of broken quests and items, late implementation of things that they planned for in the beginning, etc. Kunark has been out here for 3 years and people still raid it and enjoy it. About the only thing AA grinds might do is decrease the speed of twink creation as more people keep playing on their mains to get those AA's rather than leveling up a new toon.

I don't think AA's are necessary for longevity on this server. People here are here because they want to be, and have an EQ itch that's been there for years already. Don't think they're going to quit from a lack of new content.

Just my 2cp.

myriverse
03-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Even on Live people were still trudging through Velious content on a first attempt 5-6 years later. And people have been cycling on Kunark for 3 years. Expect P99 to be here for another decade, as long as there's a Dev team to work it.

Kazi
03-19-2014, 01:00 PM
I'd like to see a global reset back to classic. Preferably leaving in all the items that Verant lamely took out for no good reason, like rubicite.

Nuggie
03-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Longevity? This server has already been around for many years and frankly, who cares about longevity? This server is free and exists for no reason other than for the love of the game that was.

It's players like you who have ruined your own games. You'll not ruin mine!

+1

Ahldagor
03-19-2014, 02:24 PM
http://asset-8.soup.io/asset/1406/6177_8c5b.gif

reminds me of gengar

Ahldagor
03-19-2014, 02:28 PM
Thats not accurate, they haven't changed the client... they could implement AAs and instanced content if the future expansions warranted them, it's still in the core eqemu code.

Regards,
Mg

http://rlv.zcache.com/gtfo_get_out_guy_rage_face_comic_meme_print-r43a5fc275bd14ff4987eaeb7a4216ba6_jih_8byvr_512.jp g?bg=0xffffff

Daldaen
03-19-2014, 02:31 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/gtfo_get_out_guy_rage_face_comic_meme_print-r43a5fc275bd14ff4987eaeb7a4216ba6_jih_8byvr_512.jp g?bg=0xffffff

Terrible to imagine that TWO groups could enjoy doing the same thing simultaneously?

Or that raiding could occur on a guilds own time and not a server respawn or boss respawn window?!?!

Swish
03-19-2014, 02:33 PM
Terrible to imagine that TWO groups could enjoy doing the same thing simultaneously?

Can you imagine? The EC fat cats would suicide.

Ahldagor
03-19-2014, 02:33 PM

Or that raiding could occur on a guilds own time and not a server respawn or boss respawn window?!?!

yes it is

loramin
03-19-2014, 02:36 PM
I'd like to see a global reset back to classic. Preferably leaving in all the items that Verant lamely took out for no good reason, like rubicite.

It's long been rumored (and perhaps even explicitly stated by the devs; not sure) that this is the ultimate goal ... one day years from now when all of the post-Velious patches have been completed. At that point the devs can progress a server along the proper timeline (no endless Kunark) because all the dev work will be done.

But given how long Velious has taken, and all the time it will take for the patches after, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Tzeriel
03-19-2014, 02:47 PM
From talking to players and reading the forums, I'd estimate 85+% of players are cool with AAs. I'd also estimate that 99.6% of players are NOT cool with any kind of instanced content. So let's get one and not the other.

Raavak
03-19-2014, 02:48 PM
Btw, this thread gets restarted every month or two. Just sayin'

fadetree
03-19-2014, 03:32 PM
From talking to players and reading the forums, I'd estimate 85+% of players are cool with AAs. I'd also estimate that 99.6% of players are NOT cool with any kind of instanced content. So let's get one and not the other.

Concur. Instanced is one of those things that really seems like a great idea, but isn't.

Reguiy
03-19-2014, 04:03 PM

Your 85% number is flawed. The population of rangers on this server is only about 5%.

rawwhide
03-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Your 85% number is flawed. The population of rangers on this server is only about 5%.
Time to make a Ranger?

Vindor
03-20-2014, 04:51 AM
could maybe have Ssra connect to Kunark and edit the lore slightly

OH YES PLEASE

Rjones61
03-20-2014, 05:55 AM
I'm with the Luclin, but no PoP crowd. Personally, I really liked the content in Luclin. However, I appreciate my free gaming and will support any direction the Devs take this game.

Can anyone tell me when were frogs added?

Asap
03-20-2014, 06:48 AM
I'm with the Luclin, but no PoP crowd. Personally, I really liked the content in Luclin. However, I appreciate my free gaming and will support any direction the Devs take this game.

Can anyone tell me when were frogs added?

Froglok was added as a playable race with LoY

cries4hardcore
03-20-2014, 10:12 AM
Hmmm, they get to do whatever they want with no complaints from me. I'm just happy to have a classic home. Having said that, I would much rather have the pop raid content added to the game than anything luclin. No kitties no moon, ssra was ok, but killing gods was better IMO. Having said that, there is enough content from classic to velious to keep me going for years.

QuasiGnome
03-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Haven't been here long but I am another that is perfectly happy to keep it on the current path the Devs have planned.

Back when the expansions were rolling out on live, I found that for every 1 change that I liked, there were usually 2 or 3 others that I didn't. By early 2005, the bad outweighed the good and I left.

If I have to put up with the few things that are annoying to avoid the crap that turned me off the first time, I'm perfectly good with that.

I hope this server is around for awhile because it is damn good to be back.

mgellan
03-20-2014, 03:56 PM

It's stupid to totally ignore instancing because it's been turned into a farce on Live, WOW etc. I could see instancing working well for quest sequences that would get messed up if others interfered (gee, there's no griefers in EQ are there?) and other stuff. LDON wasn't what I'd call a reasonable use of instances... nor whole freakin dungeons.

Anyways, my point was the code is available to spin off an instance if it makes sense...

Regards,
Mg

Synthlol
03-20-2014, 04:09 PM
It's stupid to totally ignore instancing because it's been turned into a farce on Live, WOW etc. I could see instancing working well for quest sequences that would get messed up if others interfered (gee, there's no griefers in EQ are there?) and other stuff. LDON wasn't what I'd call a reasonable use of instances... nor whole freakin dungeons.

Anyways, my point was the code is available to spin off an instance if it makes sense...

Regards,
Mg

If you want instancing, there are other emulated servers already running you can go instance all you want. There are people like me who only enjoy this server because the people in charge of it promised not to put that trash on this server.

Champion_Standing
03-20-2014, 05:24 PM
If you want instancing, there are other emulated servers already running you can go instance all you want. There are people like me who only enjoy this server because the people in charge of it promised not to put that trash on this server.

Too bad buddy, devs have already been convinced by this thread to keep going until GoD.

Makes
03-20-2014, 05:33 PM
All I would like to see is all the classes playable on p99. Would love to roll a bst and I'm sure some people would love to roll a zerker.

As for SoL and PoP....well EQmac was stuck at PoP and was still a blast to play on.....until SOE pulled the plug on it. PoP gets a lot of grief it wasn't that bad when compared to say GoD or OOW or.... well I could go on.

mgellan
03-20-2014, 05:50 PM

They promised Velious to just before then custom content, and they can instance custom content all they want and you can suck it up. If you don't have the reading comprehension to understand "when it's appropriate" and trust they'll do things properly, then back to "see Spot Run" for you, Dick.

Regards,
Mg

Yonkec
03-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Why don't we delete the PoK travesty, move any relevant NPC from there into PoT, and allow us to ravage some gods?

We can have one luclin type teleporter to get to PoT in the center of the garden of PoM. No classes can bind anywhere in there or the other planes. Either that or waking the sleeper unlocks a one way portal from the under Kerafyrm to Tranquility. Seems reasonable to me

Synthlol
03-20-2014, 06:51 PM
They promised Velious to just before then custom content, and they can instance custom content all they want and you can suck it up. If you don't have the reading comprehension to understand "when it's appropriate" and trust they'll do things properly, then back to "see Spot Run" for you, Dick.

Regards,
Mg

They don't want to. You want to. They know why instancing content is a bad idea, and that's why this server is here.

Leeyuuduu
03-20-2014, 07:15 PM
It amazes me how quick people are to start shoving post-Velious bullshit down the throats of players who have been repeatedly promised by the server staff that such things (Luclin and the constipated character models in general, cats on the moon and instancing in particular) would not happen here. If you want those things, go play one of the other emulated servers. Trying to throw the baby out with the bathwater in the form of "Well you have X here, therefore P1999 isn't classic, therefore CATS ON TEH MOON NOWWW!!111!" is even more hilarious and shows the logic of a child.

Ahldagor
03-20-2014, 07:19 PM
It amazes me how quick people are to start shoving post-Velious bullshit down the throats of players who have been repeatedly promised by the server staff that such things (Luclin and the constipated character models in general, cats on the moon and instancing in particular) would not happen here. If you want those things, go play one of the other emulated servers. Trying to throw the baby out with the bathwater in the form of "Well you have X here, therefore P1999 isn't classic, therefore CATS ON TEH MOON NOWWW!!111!" is even more hilarious and shows the logic of a child.

mein neger!

Regards,
Mg