PDA

View Full Version : Velious Beta Empy?

Bohab
03-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Kind of surprised to see the Velious beta server have 9 people online while 1200 are on the live Kunark server. For a long time now people have been crying for Velious yet nobody wants to put in the effort to help test so to push the server live as soon as possible... I mean yeah you don't get to keep your progress but at least you get an experience and you will learn the zones further. At this rate it looks like it may take long time to release? Unsure of the progress that is being made. A couple things come to mind when I was on there testing...

With so little people testing it's hard to get to the meat of some zones to test it... Is there a way we can get "buffed" in order to get to the meat?

Maybe a nice incentive for people to come test is to have those gnomes in NRO sell class epic weapons to buy? The chance to wield an epic for some classes/players may interest them in checking out Velious for some "testing"?

I'd assume the quicker we bang out the bugs the faster we'll get a live server?

Lamil
03-19-2014, 10:23 AM
I think the faction grind is what most people are not a huge fan of

Bohab
03-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Perhaps give players some faction then to speed things up? I agree with that.

Shiftin
03-19-2014, 10:47 AM
Velious is hugely raid / high end content focused. None of the raid mobs are activated in velious (with some entire zones locked), some of the larger quests are broken and due to be fixed, and there's quite a few quests that can't be tested without weeks of faction work. It may even be more than weeks because the items to raise faction were dropping at an entirely too low rate last time I was in Kael.

edit: all this said, I've spent a fair bit of time on beta, and will continue to, but it's a pretty solid fact pattern for making testing discouraging for folks.

Velerin
03-19-2014, 10:52 AM
What if you could buy a "faction potion" from the gnome? Gives you a buff where each faction hit is x100 for the time of the buff. Could make faction switching easier for quest testing w/o actually affecting the +/- faction of the mob.

Byrjun
03-19-2014, 11:05 AM
I think the faction grind is what most people are not a huge fan of

Mostly this. I've spent a few hours messing around in most of the zones, but the real "meat" of Velious is A) Raid content which isn't implemented yet, and B) Stuff that requires faction, and the grind is too long when I have tons of other stuff I need to grind on the blue server.

At this point I'm not really sure what even needs testing outside of raid stuff and some odd quests (which require faction).

Maybe the GMs could help the players focus. For a week give everyone permanent skyshrine faction and tell people to test all those quests, maybe one week could be focused on tuning Siren's Grotto, etc.

Tecmos Deception
03-19-2014, 11:07 AM
I know I said I was going to play on beta until it went live, but I turned red and I'll just get myself killed on BOTH servers if I try to box them... lol :)

rollin5k
03-19-2014, 11:10 AM
Kind of funny but it really shut everyone up once they got the opportunity to help. Lol

Swish
03-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Kind of surprised to see the Velious beta server have 9 people online while 1200 are on the live Kunark server. For a long time now people have been crying for Velious yet nobody wants to put in the effort to help test so to push the server live as soon as possible...

http://media.giphy.com/media/13GKP7xGjce5oI/giphy.gif

+1 for this guy.

Kind of funny but it really shut everyone up once they got the opportunity to help. Lol

Quite so. No complaining about "when are we getting it?" "why is it taking so long?"....if you want to help, the beta server is there waiting :p

Daldaen
03-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Seeking access to level 60 cleric, enchanter, bard and paladin all on different accounts. So I can 5 box test out some content. PMs appreciated.

But really, I've done some arena groups armor drops and gem drops seem legit. Although 0 BPs have dropped in my testing *sadface*.

Beta is nice when you're camping a long drop on live. But there is only so much you can test solo. And if I die testing something solo even though I can port and Rez myself it's still a 15min med break and rebuff situation. Adding an NPC to hail for full mana/HP would be cool in Thurgadin for quick recovery maybe?

Champion_Standing
03-19-2014, 12:31 PM
You can't keep any of the pixels

khanable
03-19-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm gonna play the shit out of this once midterms are over

LF permanent beta pals willing to explore

lecompte
03-19-2014, 12:40 PM
I'm in Khanable. Lemme know when you are ready. I'll copy over either Cleric/SHaman/Ranger and borrow lots of goodies to copy over so can play some interesting content. Lemme know what class to bring.

Wudan
03-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Beta is up, but you cant expect ppl will jump all over it when there is NO SUPPORT whatsoever.
Also, there were no goals set, simple "test it" is not enough! There need to be specific tasks and so people know what to test, there need to be porting npcs, free epics vendor, free potions off all kinds (cheals, etc), eazy rezzing... Basically anything and everything that will help people not waste their time but actually test what needs to be tested.

And give everyone bard speed :)

Millburn
03-19-2014, 01:21 PM
As expected, smug swish response to a velious beta thread.

Kindadar
03-19-2014, 01:54 PM
There is a lot to test on beta right now... Vendors, drops, pathing, quests etc. The more people testing, the quicker Velious will be released. A few of us have been on there constantly and a lot is getting done, but there is so much left to do.

Kin

Sirken
03-19-2014, 01:57 PM
factions need beta testing too!

and thank you to everyone that has logged in and especially to those of submitting bug reports

<3

Samoht Farstrider
03-19-2014, 01:57 PM
I would play beta exclusive if I had a toon high enough level.

Kazi
03-19-2014, 02:01 PM
I think it's mostly that people want to test the sexy stuff, not vendors and pathing. That, and grinding away for weeks when it's all going to be wiped in the end. Only the hardcoriest hardcore would be into that.

Halius
03-19-2014, 02:10 PM
I would love to help test this content, I started playing EQ when Velious was about a month from release. Sadly with children, work, and school nowadays I hardly have anytime to play, also I haven't played P99 in months due to my computer breaking on me and having to wait till tax season to buy a new one lol.

Anyways if there was a way to get a level boost on the beta server I would love to send my mage over there to test stuff out. Cause at the rate I play I will never reach a high enough level to test this stuff for anyone.

Freakish
03-19-2014, 02:15 PM

and thank you to everyone that has logged in and especially to those of submitting bug reports

<3

I get that. But Eq is vague with faction. Maybe if it displayed a response such as "your faction standing with kromzek got worse (30)" to show the hits it would make it bearable for testing. Right now, with the tools available to us its simply "how do these faction hits feel?". I dont like doing testing with gimped tools.

Swish
03-19-2014, 02:23 PM
As expected, smug swish response to a velious beta thread.

http://i.imgur.com/iYdkyaj.gif

Someone shares the same opinion as me, but you guys aren't hating on him. I'd say I'm being singled out here :rolleyes:

To each and every one of the people who started a "how long til Velious?" thread or giving me a hard time... how about helping the beta testers out?

Or are the forces of EconomyQuest too strong? Public fear about mass inflation got everyone grinding as much as possible til launch day? If that's the case, you aren't prepared for Velious and wouldn't mind it being delayed a little longer... amirite? ami?

http://media.giphy.com/media/DA7p0kGId1uQE/giphy.gif

(hopefully everyone's so mad now they'll show me what's what and log across to beta)

Millburn
03-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Swish confirmed as being Azure. This thread is now about conspiracy theories.

Edit: I'm curious though, do you even beta test velious Swish? A cursory look through your post history would suggest that you don't. I didn't look very far though.

Erati
03-19-2014, 02:55 PM
There is a lot to test on beta right now... Vendors, drops, pathing, quests etc. The more people testing, the quicker Velious will be released. A few of us have been on there constantly and a lot is getting done, but there is so much left to do.

Kin

big probs to this man as every night I have been on Beta he is as well :)

Biggest issue I am having with Beta right now is being a Melee is miserable. Can we please please please get the GM stick vendors in Thurg as well as the spell vendors.

I need to restock on supplies to go out and test but its impossible for my druid or melee character to get back to North Ro without waiting on a boat ( srsly?) or begging non-existant wizards.

to Milburn: I have seen Swish on the beta server a few times, whenever he logs on he tells everyone "Hello"

Ella`Ella
03-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Add raid content and we'll pack your beta.

lecompte
03-19-2014, 02:58 PM
Hey Sirken: In all seriousness, is it possible to get some kind of infinite CH clicky or something and an infinite mana clicky? I shudder in fear of bringing Lecompte onto the server and not being able to test any content :/

EDIT I suppose I could do level 40 quests.

Kekephee
03-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Beta is nice when you're camping a long drop on live. But there is only so much you can test solo.

This is exactly what I was going to say here. The "everybody who's not on beta is LAZY and can not HELPING" argument is flawed. There's literally nothing I can do in Velious that everybody else can't do much, much easier, and hasn't done a billion times already. And as someone pointed out, all the raid mobs are down, so it's not like we can test the encounters to make sure AoW isn't pathing weirdly or whatever.

Lamil
03-19-2014, 03:26 PM
There is more to Velious than raid mobs... just saying

fadetree
03-19-2014, 03:29 PM
I logged in a couple times and ran around and killed some stuff, but there needs to be more support for faction setting and character buffing, equipping, and ports for this to be practical as a lone ranger.

Zapatos
03-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Is the ring war available for testing? That might be fun to schedule.

Yukkers
03-19-2014, 03:50 PM
I think people are forgetting that faction isn't really that hard at the start of Velious. I'm boxing my mage and a cleric and got both max dwarf faction in 2-3 nights of clearing giants in GD. Ally isn't in the game yet, armor is dropping and gems are dropping. All of those quest need to be tested, faction isn't terribly hard to get.

falkun
03-19-2014, 03:57 PM
You start out apprehensive to dwarves, of course its easy to faction. Try working on giant and dragon, which are both KoS unless you are Rallos Zek or Veeshan, respectively. Also, dwarf armor has lower minimum faction than dragon and giant if I recall correctly.

Erati
03-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Factioning isnt as big of deal as some of you guys make it out to be.

come to the ghost town known as Kael Drakkel and join up with some peeps to start a group

I was max kos to Dragons after first week and a half of Beta ( thanks WW) but now Im indifferent thanks to a casual week or so of being in Kael.

Dwarves also love me bc I spent one night doin the wimpy frost giant fort in GD near EW in hopes to turn in some armor quests ( they were broken :( )

Factioning is not a race guys, maybe when the real deal happens you can neckbeard your faction, but for now youll have any faction levels you want just putting hour here and there while grouped in like a week or 2 weeks time.

Then guess what, the beta is still going AND you have your faction ! its also alot of fun doing Kael groups, way more fun than farming in droga, kedge or sol a which was what I was doing before the release.

So yeah, come play in the snow, we won't bite.

Yukkers
03-19-2014, 04:07 PM
You start out apprehensive to dwarves, of course its easy to faction. Try working on giant and dragon, which are both KoS unless you are Rallos Zek or Veeshan, respectively. Also, dwarf armor has lower minimum faction than dragon and giant if I recall correctly.

While this is true, you can't even make gear from Giants or Dragons with ToV being closed. Aren't the drops from NToV and WToV irrc?

falkun
03-19-2014, 04:10 PM
You are correct in that you cannot complete those armors yet, however giant armors drop in WToV and dragon armors drop in EToV (Halls of Testing).

Mirana
03-19-2014, 04:23 PM
Factioning isnt as big of deal as some of you guys make it out to be.

Im indifferent thanks to a casual week or so of being in Kael.

I think 99.9% of the population would consider a week of casual grinding to be a big deal, as it relates to beta testing content.

Erati
03-19-2014, 04:26 PM
I think 99.9% of the population would consider a week of casual grinding to be a big deal, as it relates to beta testing content.

you say week of casual grinding, I say fun in Kael with friends.... ?

I am not talking about 6-8 hour sessions here, like 2 hours here and there lol

I am turning into Swish :(

fadetree
03-19-2014, 04:38 PM
Well, I'll give Kael a try this weekend, hope there's groups.

Kindadar
03-19-2014, 05:06 PM
If I'm on, I'll group with whomever wants to kill/test some giants or play around with dwarf/dragon quests. Just look me up on the server.

Also, if you're in the 35-50 range, tower of frozen shadow needs some love.

Kin

Shiftin
03-19-2014, 05:08 PM
There is more to Velious than raid mobs... just saying

Again, re-read my post. It's one of the first. Yes, there is non-raid content in velious, but it is by far a more raid-centric expansion than Kunark. There's a raid encounter in *almost every single zone* in velious, and a lot of the quests are faction locked. The biggest faction hits come from... raids!

Lamil
03-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Again, re-read my post. It's one of the first. Yes, there is non-raid content in velious, but it is by far a more raid-centric expansion than Kunark. There's a raid encounter in *almost every single zone* in velious, and a lot of the quests are faction locked. The biggest faction hits come from... raids!

Ah but if everything else is working correctly they will maybe put the raid mobs in and then all of a sudden this beta will have 100 people.

loramin
03-19-2014, 05:25 PM
I feel like you're saying "but half of Velious is raid content we can't test!" and Lamil is saying "but half of Velious is non-raid content that can be tested!"

Glass half full ...

Gaffin 7.0
03-19-2014, 05:26 PM
make a npc give us lvl 60 and all spells memmed would be way better id rather not grind on a server with no xp bonus when i could be doing it on red or blue

Quineloe
03-19-2014, 05:29 PM
did someone test run TOFS yet?

Lamil
03-19-2014, 05:31 PM

I'm pretty sure someone did part of it because in the bugs section there was an issue with keys.

I just feel like the big raid guilds who have all the 60 alts could power through a ton of Velious quickly and are going to benefit the most from Velious for raiding yet are to busy trying to get more demon fangs and shit to sell on the server. Not saying its right or wrong just an observation.

Erati
03-19-2014, 05:33 PM
If I'm on, I'll group with whomever wants to kill/test some giants or play around with dwarf/dragon quests. Just look me up on the server.

Also, if you're in the 35-50 range, tower of frozen shadow needs some love.

Kin

ToFS broke my heart for the first week with its inconsistent mirrors! Sometimes porting my group, sometimes not....sooo frustrating..

I am waiting on the next patch so I can bring a group with me to have tea with Tserrina

Ele
03-19-2014, 05:59 PM

A few people have been grinding in there that I know of.

Ele
03-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Beta is up, but you cant expect ppl will jump all over it when there is NO SUPPORT whatsoever.
Also, there were no goals set, simple "test it" is not enough! There need to be specific tasks and so people know what to test, there need to be porting npcs, free epics vendor, free potions off all kinds (cheals, etc), eazy rezzing... Basically anything and everything that will help people not waste their time but actually test what needs to be tested.

And give everyone bard speed :)

There is plenty of support to be had if people would log in and ask for it. There are a number of people with guide status that can port people to any zone (save Sleepers/Tov), summon corpses, GM res, and move people around or reset mobs.

The Gnomes in Nro sell thurgadin gate sticks, res sticks, corpse summon sticks, bind sticks. The Gnomes also sell the dropped spells.

OOC is global, so if you need help on beta just ask. There is probably someone on that can help you.

Heal potions and epic vendors, I can't help you with. You can box all you want though.

Spitty
03-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Masterbeta.

Vidar
03-19-2014, 06:36 PM
There is plenty of support to be had if people would log in and ask for it. There are a number of people with guide status that can port people to any zone (save Sleepers/Tov), summon corpses, GM res, and move people around or reset mobs.

The Gnomes in Nro sell thurgadin gate sticks, res sticks, corpse summon sticks, bind sticks. The Gnomes also sell the dropped spells.

OOC is global, so if you need help on beta just ask. There is probably someone on that can help you.

Heal potions and epic vendors, I can't help you with. You can box all you want though.

^this.

I logged on beta for the first time today and was waiting for boat. I asked in OOC if boats were working and immediately had a response offering a summon/port.

Millburn
03-19-2014, 11:18 PM
Curious why there aren't NPC's in place to level or de-level you with class specific spell vendors? You can pick up the ones that drop in velious but not your full accompaniment of spells pre-velious.

This isn't me criticizing the effort you guys put into it by the way, just curious why tools like these aren't available for testing purposes? There's a very healthy population of the server at max level with all their gear and spells already but there's also a lot of up and comers who would be interested but don't have the means to otherwise.

veejur
03-20-2014, 12:55 AM
Level and delevel is a great idea.

Clark
03-20-2014, 06:57 AM

<3

Kellek
03-20-2014, 09:32 AM
I would play beta exclusive if I had a toon high enough level.

^
|
|

This. My highest is 14, I don't think I'd be much use. And the way I play, I don't see myself getting high enough to be any use before it's released.

Lyrith
03-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Get on over and enjoy the fun, I be killing some dragons outside of ToV yo!

Meiva
03-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Disclaimer: Not Classic

Let's face it. Some won't see the bigger picture and just ask "What's in it for me?" Award some Blue/Red server exp pots to helpful beta testers. I'd back such rewards for players bettering the game. At least it's about us and not some kick starter reward lol. Not classic, but far from game breaking.

I admit to not being a motivated beta tester. I'm the asshole that may need some selfish incentive. I don't think I can box the beta server while playing live as it's one account.

Lyrith
03-20-2014, 10:56 AM

Let's face it. Some won't see the bigger picture and just ask "What's in it for me?" Award some Blue/Red server exp pots to helpful beta testers. I'd back such rewards for players bettering the game. At least it's about us and not some kick starter reward lol. Not classic, but far from game breaking.

I admit to not being a motivated beta tester. I'm the asshole that may need some selfish incentive. I don't think I can box the beta server while playing live as it's one account.

You can have your exact same character logged into both servers at the same time on the same account. It's a beta server, it's not boxing or locking up your account.

Halius
03-20-2014, 11:07 AM
^
|
|

This. My highest is 14, I don't think I'd be much use. And the way I play, I don't see myself getting high enough to be any use before it's released.

I'm in the same boat. I played on live when Velious was released and I loved it. I can't test though cause I only have a level 16 atm.

Menaan
03-20-2014, 12:20 PM
I like many others in this thread would be happy to help if I had a character that could help. My highest is 24 atm.

They need to implement things to facilitate testing. Level adjustments, gear / spell providers, faction adjustments, npcs that provide quest components on demand, things like that. Yes a lot of people would just go over there and use this stuff without really testing. But the people that know how to actually test will be able to use the tools appropriately to test quest turn ins, faction changes, and different levels in the area without having to invest a huge amount of time just getting to the point that they can test it.

Quineloe
03-20-2014, 12:27 PM
You can have your exact same character logged into both servers at the same time on the same account. It's a beta server, it's not boxing or locking up your account.

can you share an account with a character high level enough to actually do something in velious? Highest I have can probably solo a few mobs in iceclad ocean.

Ele
03-20-2014, 12:31 PM

Not only can you play blue and beta at the same time using your main account, you can box on beta with any other accounts.

Ele
03-20-2014, 12:35 PM
I like many others in this thread would be happy to help if I had a character that could help. My highest is 24 atm.

They need to implement things to facilitate testing. Level adjustments, gear / spell providers, faction adjustments, npcs that provide quest components on demand, things like that. Yes a lot of people would just go over there and use this stuff without really testing. But the people that know how to actually test will be able to use the tools appropriately to test quest turn ins, faction changes, and different levels in the area without having to invest a huge amount of time just getting to the point that they can test it.

The loot tables also need to be tested. Granted quest item vendors would allow easy testing of the quests; however, the actual drop rates wouldn't be nearly as scrutinized, which in the end is what really matters as that is what will exist on live.

sykotic
03-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Some kind of perks or incentives for folks to test would be a huge boon for the beta server.

None of it will affect the blue server anyway so what does it matter? give us cheal pots, bard speed, epics, whatever.

Would help people mow through content faster and also give them incentive to play/test.

Menaan
03-20-2014, 12:55 PM
The loot tables also need to be tested. Granted quest item vendors would allow easy testing of the quests; however, the actual drop rates wouldn't be nearly as scrutinized, which in the end is what really matters as that is what will exist on live.

Yes, and anyone that knows how to test will be able to test that too. But not without proper levels and gear for whatever they are doing.

Like I said, yes most people will go over and just use the stuff without doing any real testing. But there are probably a few more like me that have been in development for a long time (17 years for me) that know how to test and could properly test all aspects even if some of the aspects are provided by npcs to give shortcuts to testing other aspects.

The point is, I don't mind helping test. But I'm not going to do it if I have to do extraneous amounts of meaningless work just to get to the point that I can help test.

fadetree
03-20-2014, 01:04 PM
What was Kunark beta like? Did they have testing support functionality as mentioned above or not?

Daldaen
03-20-2014, 01:05 PM
There was a way to level up.

August
03-20-2014, 03:16 PM
I write software to test software, for a living.

Sandboxing an environment and saying 'go test it!' is probably the worst incentive to get actual testing.

Areas of test need to be categorized, with goals set, if you want people to do it. People have to feel like they're working on an accomplishable goal before they go off and start testing.

There's TONS to do in velious, and it seems never-ending.

I'd recommend themed weeks, 'faction week', 'kael week' 'PoG' week. Give out prizes for the most number of bugs submitted in a given week.

With this model, you could also provide faction increasers like if you wanted to test out faction specific quests (in a 'SS quest week', etc) you could just have wands that elevate you to desired faction (amiable, kindly, warmly, indiff, etc.).

And BTW, Software and game QA is a real thing with some sizeable costs. If you want real coverage there has to be incentive. I know personally I work all day doing this exact thing (well, not exact...) and the last thing I want to do is come home and do it for free.

Zapatos
03-20-2014, 04:42 PM
What about designated hot zones for testing each week, with each valid bug find resulting in getting a raffle # for a chance to win an illusion/vanity item on the character of your choice? The total amount of rewards per zone test would be limited.. say 5 per zone?

Yonkec
03-20-2014, 04:52 PM
What about designated hot zones for testing each week, with each valid bug find resulting in getting a raffle # for a chance to win an illusion/vanity item on the character of your choice? The total amount of rewards per zone test would be limited.. say 5 per zone?

Rewards are great but only if they are flagged no-trade. The issue is that building a fair and reasonable system to "reward" testers likely requires as much work by a dev as if he/she were to test a zone them self. I agree that a checklist of sorts would be great, with help focusing our efforts into areas of need. But saying that "The most bug reports wins" is a recipe for disaster as I guarantee I can submit 100 bug reports an hour that are borderline acceptable for the purpose of the contest, and I bet most of you can as well. Is sorting through that clusterfuck what the devs want/need?

Building a reward system for a one time beta test is NOT a good use of anyone's time. It will only be exploited to the max by everyone once we figure out the best way to gather "testing" points.

August
03-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Rewards are great but only if they are flagged no-trade. The issue is that building a fair and reasonable system to "reward" testers likely requires as much work by a dev as if he/she were to test the zone themself.

The issue is future rewards versus current rewards and the type of rewards given out. Cosmetic rewards don't really matter - and I'm not really supportive of giving advantages in the form of cash-out monetary purposes (fungi tunic, etc).

I don't think it would be that difficult to have a raffle for, say, custom titles.

'The Analyst"
"The Detective"
"The Bug Smasher"

This requires very little work.

They could also provide 'early access' for people who find X amount of bugs. That's the best idea I've had yet, actually. You'd get all the hardcore guilds pressing all members to find at least 'X' legitimate bugs in the beta so they can start 2 days extra. This also requires little extra work.

And, fact is that work that needs to be done for rewards can be done AFTER velious is released.

Yonkec
03-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Titles are a great idea, early access perhaps if it was scrutinized and given out properly.

If you want this done and done now, just copy over everyone automatically, shut down blue for a week, and tell everyone to get testing. The sooner we hit the milestones the sooner Blue + Velious is pushed live.

webrunner5
03-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Nilbog has been on in /ooc a few times I have been on so he is listening to peoples complains and likes. So it is not like being on is just a waste of time without submitting a bug report. Velious is not going to get fixed without people helping out.

So yeah, would help if more bodies showed up. :p

Hailto
03-21-2014, 01:31 AM
No one wants to grind faction on a beta server, set up an npc that grants instant faction so people can actually test stuff.

Silent
03-21-2014, 02:32 AM
Giving a vendor with epics/gear and level 60 is not the solution to getting people on beta, All this would do is put a bunch of people on Beta who don't have these items on it and eventually burn out any real desire they have to play on blue or red because why? They just got every item handed to them even if its a beta server for a few months, Most people will be satisfied with that.

Faction potions might be the answer, Anything that is getting done on the server is going to be done by a guild or a group of friends. You cannot get much done solo, and even 1 or 2 people a lot is still shitty and hard and no one wishes to farm faction on beta for days. My suggestion might be to add some sort of insta faction, So guilds can all go over as one and test things out instead of trying to faction which there is no incentive to(I realize everyone wants velious, but despite that very few if anyone is going to grind out faction for quest gear they will never get on Beta in its current state, But if faction is obtained through days of straight grinding they may POSSIBLY be able to get the other quested items that don't involve gems/armor from ToV or wherever.

Millburn
03-21-2014, 04:07 AM
Giving a vendor with epics/gear and level 60 is not the solution to getting people on beta, All this would do is put a bunch of people on Beta who don't have these items on it and eventually burn out any real desire they have to play on blue or red because why? They just got every item handed to them even if its a beta server for a few months, Most people will be satisfied with that.

Faction potions might be the answer, Anything that is getting done on the server is going to be done by a guild or a group of friends. You cannot get much done solo, and even 1 or 2 people a lot is still shitty and hard and no one wishes to farm faction on beta for days. My suggestion might be to add some sort of insta faction, So guilds can all go over as one and test things out instead of trying to faction which there is no incentive to(I realize everyone wants velious, but despite that very few if anyone is going to grind out faction for quest gear they will never get on Beta in its current state, But if faction is obtained through days of straight grinding they may POSSIBLY be able to get the other quested items that don't involve gems/armor from ToV or wherever.

All that's really needed right now is an NPC that can level or de-level you and spell vendors for each class that provide the whole gambit pre-velious. Who cares if people might get burnt out on that, that's their own personal responsibility. Testing right now requires you to already be established on the server, when it should at least allow anybody to properly test the areas they're most familiar with regardless of their current progress on live.

Schortt
03-21-2014, 08:51 AM
You cannot get much done soloThis is all kinds of wrong. The vast majority of the bug reports that are being submitted and still need to be submitted are solo work. Yes, there are guilds and groups working on finding issues in raid zones and high end group areas but even those bugs will require research to be done by individuals. I spend at least as much time googling as I do playing on beta, and I've submitted as many beta bugs as anyone.

If you're a forum warrior with lots of web time to kill, spend less of it in RnF and server chat and try to, for instance, look up some loot on Skyshrine mobs pre-Nov 2002.

And log on beta and start finding the small bugs - you'll have plenty of opportunities to get involved in group stuff if you spend some time doing the little things.

Brut
03-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Alot of the testing is about researching mob infos atm, do an encounter, check MR and whatnot, then look up wether an SK was supposed to be able to solo fear kite a mid 50s mob in couple of minutes (probably not since most everything oughta have 1000MR and ridiculous hp bars). But as usual, comment sections from 2001 are really conflicting on what they tell you. One guy says this guy was an easy fight and he snared it, next guy says couldn't land snare at all and it took ages to kill by a full group. Alot of the stuff we can test currently is actually pretty well documented, it's just the part outside playing the server is wretched homework and not many are excited about the idea of shuffling around with wayback machine to investigate each and every mob in Velious.

But again, faction boost NPCs at city entrances or just making all faction hits from mob kills/quests alot higher would make this far more appealing imo. Tested ring quest as far as could, tried various camps, checked out some skyshrine stuff, but by the end of the day the amount of faction grinding needed to do for trying any of the other questlines is ridiculous and feels very unnecessary. I don't want silly custom title rewards for testing, I just want to test stuff without having to sit at Kael entrance slaying guards for half a week to get to the testing.

Plus we could use teleport sticks to zones other than thurgadin. /nod