PDA

View Full Version : Do magical skill levels/character stats help "prolong"/affect specific spells?

Spoonerism
03-20-2014, 12:25 AM
Hey guys, I had been asking this question in game, hearing mostly one sided responses, but I just wanted to open it up in the forums to clarify.

As a druid, I am casting Superior Camo. (the invis spell)

Sometimes, when I port people to DL, they ask for levitate/invis. So i happily do so and send them on their way, however, sometimes I will get a tell saying "Invis wore off already".

In a few instances I have gotten "Your divinity must be low because invis wore off quickly."

So...the other night I was asking around, does your level of divinity (or any skill that is associated with "invisible") increase the chances of the invisible spell not breaking early?

Most people said that your skill level does not matter, it only matters for fizzle rates.

So what I assume then is, a lvl 1 skill divinity character that cast Superior Camo (invis) compared to a max skill level divinity character that casts Superior Camo has the exact same chances of the buff lasting/not lasting. (Same character level, even though I doubt a level 36 druid would have 1 in their divinity skill)

I am just curious about this, or any other spell for that matter such as levitate, or maybe even a DoT.

--------------------------

While on the discussion of spell length and "skills", beyond just skills, will a spell last longer if say...you have a higher intelligence, or perhaps charisma/wisdom?

Example: I charm an animal as a druid. Will a higher wisdom cause the spell to last longer (or charisma for maybe a bard/enchanter)? OR/AND Will your "divination" skill level (or whatever skill charm animal uses) increase your chances/allow the charm to last longer?

OR...is everything just random?

I heard a higher charisma for an enchanter/bard will allow your charms/mezs to last longer, but I may be mistaken, maybe it is just so the spell will have "less resists"...or maybe it just affects the fizzle rate?

---------

Now one more leap, since we are talking about resists. Will your "divination skill" (or evocation..ect..ect..) give you less resists on a mob if it is maxed compared to if it is at 1? (same with casting a DoT/DD spell) does your skill level matter?

And while on that :P...do your stats matter? (IE, higher intelligence leads to less resists, or higher charisma leads to less resists?)

-----------

Don't feel you have to do full explanations of everything, any information will help! Thanks!

Kazi
03-20-2014, 12:44 AM
Pretty sure invis is supposed to be random, but it seems that if it does wear off it wears off in the first few seconds, whereas if it lasts longer than a few minutes, it will last the entire time. That's my experience on p99 (I think it was more random on live, where each tick had a chance at failure).

As for buffs, that's primarily up to the lvl of the spell and, to a lesser extent, the caster.

DOTs last a set number of ticks.

I don't know about charm and harmony/lull for non-Enchanters and bards, but I think that's just random and isn't affected by charisma.

grenravenlock
03-20-2014, 01:54 AM
Invis has a chance to break every tick which is intended. Fixed duration invis does not come into play till the caster gets the improved version, but I do not think those versions are in classic.

You generic casting skills only alter your fizzle rate/spell failures(think colapsed gate's) while your specialization is mana cost reduction.

Resists are based on four factors relative level, spell restrictions, and mob innate resists. Your spells have a higher chance of landing on something below then if it was white or higher. White con is the tipping point on the scale on this part. Next up is mob resists. On classic you see more DnD approach to logical mob resists. For an example fire elementals are immune to fire damage. Or dragon scales are resistant to spells so you are required to belly cast to land nukes. Sometimes these restrictions are annoying but some can be dabilitating. I vividly remember wizards crying like crazy till they got lures back in the day. last is spell restrictions, some nukes are whats known as a binary nuke. Meaning it is all or nothing, this type of nuke is rare. Most can have three results resist, partial, or full hit. With the partial or resist being effected by the other two restrictions. The fourth factor is limited in scope to crowd control spells both the indirect and direct ones. Indirectly charisma alters your success chance of lull type spells. Direct crowd control spells like mez and charm are the other spell types effected by charisma. So for the most part this stat only directly impacts bards and enchanters with a minor utility to paladin/cleric pacify and ranger/druid harmony.

Spell scaling is purely level based. Most spells gain some kind of benefit as you gain more levels. Buffs get longer duration, heals heal for more, etc... This effect was minor on live and was extremely terrible compared to how explosively melee scaled with levels and gear. This problem directly lead to the introduction of spell foci. Which casters will see a few of them in late velious.

Int for casters and Wis for priests only increase mana and your chance to skill up. The only stat that alters a spells ability in any way is charisma. Which essentially crowd control spells. The only exception to this that I am aware of is the cleric spell divine intervention. But that checks whoever has the buff when it fires not the original caster.

Frug
03-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Keep in mind that even though you will have the correct info on this thread, people in game will continue to believe what they want to believe; like the duration-tied-to-divinity-level thing so bear that in mind when trying to "correct" people over /tells.

Champion_Standing
03-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Next time someone says that their invis wore off because you div is low tell them its maxed out and see how they respond. Skill level is not related to spell duration whatsoever.

Lyrith
03-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Next time someone says that their invis wore off because you div is low tell them its maxed out and see how they respond. Skill level is not related to spell duration whatsoever.

Agreed, my 20 skill divination on IvU would hold up to full time, just like my 200+ skill. Don't ask me how I got to 60 with a 20 in divination... I don't want to talk about it! =D

Spoonerism
03-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Alrighty, thanks everyone for your various responses. I feel more educated now :)