PDA

View Full Version : jboots and other misleading quests.

Flange
08-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Can we please make a sticky on the quests that have been "altered" so that people arn't screwed because of some obscure "classic" change.

At least warn people that there are these type of changes ... somehow... there is too much information on the net that contradicts this quest.

Any reasonable person is going to go look this up on Allakazam see that they can hand in 325 pp instead of 3250 gold and loose their quest items.

Screwing up a quest is one thing but people are intentionally being led astray here with missleading information on a quest that takes days to complete.

Yes i was dumb enough to trust past experience on live as well as Kazam and had my crap eaten today.

I'm not here to ask for anything other than some type of reasonable warning that the quest i remember and is well documented as i remember it, doesnt fit into the dev's idea of 'classic'.

Tseng
08-13-2010, 10:48 AM
He asks for 3250 gold, nuff said

Kevris
08-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Damn, I played on live for 9 years and had no idea you could hand his ass pp. I always took gold.

Messianic
08-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Would a neon blinking light over every single quest npc suffice for you? Or should it be a pop-up window?

=P

nilbog
08-13-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm not responsible for allakhazam leading you astray. It will also tell you about soulbinders, and task masters that you won't find here.

Hasten Bootstrutter says.. specifically, that he wants gold.

if ($text=~ /Rare Trade/i) {
quest::say("I call for three things and Journeyman Boots are yours. I call for a [Shadowed Rapier], call for the [Ring of the Ancients] and call for Gold.. 3250 Gold Coins!! This the trade that I call.");
}

Are you saying that there is proof this guy accepted 325 platinum, prekunark, for jboots? If so, link it.

Aarone
08-13-2010, 10:54 AM
IIRC, you had to hand him gold "way back when" (certainly, in the way, way back when, when I hoped to do it - but that's another story entirely). I do not doubt the OPs original assertion (that he was able to hand Hasten 325p to complete the quest on live), but I do wonder if that was a result of later changes on live (post "classic era", so to speak).

Regardless, triple checking your facts in EQClassic is always a good habit! As you've said - there's a good deal of conflicting disinformation out there. Caveat emptor.

vincin
08-13-2010, 10:55 AM
that sucks man. Project 99 should have there own "Allahkazam-like" page with all the quests for different zones/classes that relate to experiences on the 99 server. That would be kickass =). Id leave it to the hands of the players.

Aarone
08-13-2010, 10:59 AM
that sucks man. Project 99 should have there own "Allahkazam-like" page with all the quests for different zones/classes that relate to experiences on the 99 server. That would be kickass =)

Sigh - doesn't anyone actually read anymore....

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5570

The Way Back Machine is your friend! :D

Wenai
08-13-2010, 11:04 AM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=109346&postcount=4

There is other threads like this... the only thing funnier is people that TURN IN their +10 Wisdom Testament of Vanear :p They don't even check what they are being given back. They just read straight from Alla lol.

Omnimorph
08-13-2010, 11:18 AM
The change in being able to hand in the 325p i believe was about the same time they made coin weightless. It became pointless having discernable differences between 325p and 3250gp if it weighed the same and didn't have any bearing on you.

Truthfully... it's the sort of thing i'd make sure to research before handing it in, as well as asking a few people in guild / ooc etc.

It's not like you walked away completely empty handed, you learnt a valuable lesson. And that might be worth more in the long run ;)

tj218
08-13-2010, 11:23 AM
I was always remember the 3250gp being one of the challenges of this quest, as it was tough to catch up to the NPC with all that weight.

azeth
08-13-2010, 11:25 AM
The change in being able to hand in the 325p i believe was about the same time they made coin weightless. It became pointless having discernable differences between 325p and 3250gp if it weighed the same and didn't have any bearing on you.

Qft

I find it easy to see the relation between tracking down an accelerated run speed NPC (hasten) while be burdened by the 3250 gold (approx 90 weight) to then attain a clicky run speed increase item.

3250 gold was an intentional obstacle to overcome in order to complete this quest.

PhelanKA
08-13-2010, 11:26 AM
I was always remember the 3250gp being one of the challenges of this quest, as it was tough to catch up to the NPC with all that weight.

Same. I know for a fact it was gold only all the way up thru Velious.

Dantes
08-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Hasten ONLY takes 3250 gold. If you had in platinum, you will lose your Ring of the Ancients.

liveitup1216
08-13-2010, 12:08 PM

There is other threads like this... the only thing funnier is people that TURN IN their +10 Wisdom Testament of Vanear :p They don't even check what they are being given back. They just read straight from Alla lol.

shhhh, i ALMOST did this. :(

Omnimorph
08-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Obviously the same applies to Genni in Sol ro temple for fire opals :) 550gp. i did try handing her 55p, no go. Hell, i even tried handing her 550gp, taking the fire opal, and then killing her to see if i got my 550gp back :3 i'm a dark elf! evil is what i do.

Unfortunately a lot of players will fall into traps like this, you can only hope that the losses will be minimal... losing 300p is nothing compared to losing an AC ring that can take hours and hours to camp.

Malrubius
08-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Who the hell would use live Allakhazam as a definitive reference for classic EQ? :p

vincin
08-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Sigh - doesn't anyone actually read anymore....

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5570

The Way Back Machine is your friend! :D

hahahaha...sorry man. I pulled a dumby

Kraun
08-13-2010, 12:27 PM
You were always able to turn in PP instead of Gold. I used PP during 1999 to get my jboots.

(12/2/01 1:04:29 pm) (http://www.monkly-business.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8896)
that is the earliest post i can find of plat working.

Lagaidh
08-13-2010, 01:47 PM
I did the quest once on live. I remember taking him gold. Reminded me of the scarab armor quests where you specifically had to bring gold, since it's what the quest giver asked for.

Itchybottom
08-13-2010, 01:51 PM
You were always able to turn in PP instead of Gold. I used PP during 1999 to get my jboots.

(12/2/01 1:04:29 pm) (http://www.monkly-business.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8896)
that is the earliest post i can find of plat working.

This. It's just like the lodizal shell shield, people were just too paranoid to try and spread FUD.

HeallunRumblebelly
08-13-2010, 03:54 PM

The aegis of life quest is only supposed to be avail at max faction, but he offers it at like indiff, so i didnt know whether to turn in more gold or just go for it...So far i haven't had a quest giver just eat my items here though, so that's good D= But it did put me in a difficult situation D=

mmiles8
08-13-2010, 05:50 PM

I hate you.

On a positive note, I got my brewing to 177 while camping him twice.

Reiker
08-13-2010, 05:56 PM
This. It's just like the lodizal shell shield, people were just too paranoid to try and spread FUD.

Yes. He always took platinum.

Jeice
08-14-2010, 12:51 AM
if you knew anything about classic, you would have brought some gold. This is not a server that has 2009 Jboots.

Dersk
08-14-2010, 11:43 AM

There are quotes from the March 1, 2001 Allakhazam webarchive (http://web.archive.org/web/20010609225046/eqdb.allakhazam.com/item.html?item=1721) where someone claims platinum works, aside from more modern statements of it always working. Coin did not become weightless until 2008. Quest NPCs asked for gold and accepted platinum. Hasten wasn't the only one, nor was he the first or last NPC to do this.

Aeolwind (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12779&page=4) said The quest will be changed to use platinum around the time that it did on live with the release of Kunark.

I've never come across anything saying this changed in Kunark (what would I know, I started with velious), but there is ample evidence that it has and did work, and it seems there is developer comment that agrees with that.

jeffd
08-14-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm not here to ask for anything other than some type of reasonable warning that the quest i remember and is well documented as i remember it, doesnt fit into the dev's idea of 'classic'.

you remember it wrong. he wanted gold through at least kunark, and possibly velious.

move along, spoonfed wowtard.

Flange
08-15-2010, 06:12 PM
LOL thanks for not dissapointing me.

These are exactly the responses i expected.

I never once asked for redemption of any kind, just a pointer towards the MINOR variations between what i remember and what is.

Thank you for being exactly as i expected...

oldhead
08-15-2010, 08:22 PM
shhhh, i ALMOST did this. :(

I did do it =(

I did it by not paying attention to the quest text.

I'd like to add that this screw up was a lesson learned and when I did the jboots quest I searched this forum for the answer to gold vs plat .

Uaellaen
08-16-2010, 07:01 AM
i have a tip for you ... talk to the NPC and see what he wants, rather then trust allakhazam to know it all ...

none of the quests are misleading, it is the quest descriptions on allakhazam that are misleading ... but if you would just talk to the NPCs before handing stuff like that in, such things would never happen ;)

azeth
08-16-2010, 07:33 AM
verbatum hasten says "3250 gold" and any backup found on allakhazam that has been posted supporting the Platinum theory is not dated 1999.

move along.

apollyon arali
08-16-2010, 08:04 AM
One other question about this quest on p1999

I remember when this quest was first created that you had to hand in the items one at a time because the quest was bugged.

Can someone confirm that this quest works when you give all the items to Boot Strutter at the same time?

azeth
08-16-2010, 09:01 AM
this i can verify, we just finished jboots earlier last week. Hasten will not respond to quest prompts beyond "Hail, Hasten"

He accepted the AC ring, rapier, and gold all at once.

Atern
08-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Unless you can find patch notes saying that it was changed on live to allow platinum instead of gold, you have to assume it always allowed platinum. Are you saying that there are posts on alla where people say they turned in platinum with the quest and hasten ate their items?

apollyon arali
08-16-2010, 09:07 AM
So,

Hail him,

give him all three items at same time and bingo.

thanks Azeth

guineapig
08-16-2010, 09:40 AM
I've never heard of a patch that changed the gold restriction to allow for platinum either.
Even the honey jum quest on this server allows platinum instead of gold.

Reiker
08-16-2010, 12:09 PM
verbatum hasten says "3250 gold" and any backup found on allakhazam that has been posted supporting the Platinum theory is not dated 1999.

move along.

Nothing is dated 1999 on Allakhazam since Allakhazam wasn't around in 1999.

no u move along.

azeth
08-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Nothing is dated 1999 on Allakhazam since Allakhazam wasn't around in 1999.

thanks for making my point?

here's what just happened -

Azeth: No one knows what a T-rex would really look like, because they're not alive anymore.

Reiker: No kidding they're not alive anymore, they died out 65 million years ago.

Messianic
08-16-2010, 01:40 PM
OK, after about 30-45 mins of reading, I'm ready to respond to this:

Unless you can find patch notes saying that it was changed on live to allow platinum instead of gold, you have to assume it always allowed platinum.

That makes absolutely no sense. Why should we assume that the way it is on live is the way it has always been? Not every change in the game is announced with a giant trumpet via patch notes.

Are you saying that there are posts on alla where people say they turned in platinum with the quest and hasten ate their items?

Many of the archived comments from 2001/2000 say so, quite affirmatively.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010617092335/eqdb.allakhazam.com/quest.html?quest=28&start=50 "I assure you, if you hand him a Ring, a Rapier, and 325 plat, he will keep it all and you will get nothing."
http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-6972.html "-You must pay him 3250 GP, not 325 PP."
http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=8566&TabID=131257&QuestID=9686 "Finally, the 3,250 GP can be found in your bank account. Hehe! You must use gold pieces since the quest will not work with platinum pieces."

To be equitable, I haven't been able to find a "smoking gun," where someone in Allakhazam's, etc showed that they turned in pp and the quest failed. However:

Judging by the comments from 2004 on current allakahazam's websites and the ones on the web archives of allakhazam's, i'd bet it was changed sometime around 2003-2004 to allow pp. Given the whole set of comments i've been able to find, i'd turn it around and say the burden of proof lays on you. Prove to us that as long as the quest was in EQ, pp was acceptable - prove that all those people who claimed it had to be 3250 gp were simply believing a myth, and NO ONE tried 325 pp out of curiosity and posted that it worked with 325 pp - because before 2003, I can't find someone posting that pp worked.

So, show me someone saying on a forum or elsewhere during the classic period (1999-2001ish) that pp works just as well as gp. Because I can't find one.

However, because I don't have a smoking gun, you can shakily argue that "it was just a myth everyone believed, so no one found out that you could use 325 pp," and you could argue that's the only reason so many people believe this. I think as many people played EQ during that time, someone would have figured it out.

I'm simply not willing to spend anymore time on it - you can if you like. I'm satisfied that uber-gamers I knew in the top tier guilds on the largest servers emphatically asserted it was gp only, and attempting to use 325pp instead would have been chump change to them...

Dersk
08-16-2010, 03:41 PM
So, show me someone saying on a forum or elsewhere during the classic period (1999-2001ish) that pp works just as well as gp. Because I can't find one.

Allakhazam March 1, 2001 Webarchive
Posted @ Tue, May 22nd 7:39 PM Score: Excellent[5.00]
...all forms of money are treated the same for quests, so 325 platinum works too. (http://web.archive.org/web/20010609225046/eqdb.allakhazam.com/item.html?item=1721)

In response to someone typing '3250p':

Allakhazam March 1, 2001 Webarchive
Posted @ Fri, May 18th 1:19 PM Score: Default[2.00]
Note that 3250p is incorrect. It is 325pp for the Jboots (http://web.archive.org/web/20010609225046/eqdb.allakhazam.com/item.html?item=1721)

You may have read in the numerous threads, including this one, that this isn't the only quest to allow platinum instead of gold.

For example, from the same webarchive, Fire Opals:currency for fire opals Reply... By: Tork@Nameless
Posted @ Wed, Mar 1st 11:00 AM 2000 Score: Decent[3.12]
Genni says she was wants 550 gold for each fire opal and she's very specific about it, reminding you twice -- but 55 plat works fine. (=http://web.archive.org/web/20011226193441/eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=3293)<-- That's actually a 2000 post, but Allakhazam didn't post years on all their original forum posts. The current forums shows that post as well here (http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=3293).

Lodizal Shield:10k GP = 1k pp By: GaelStormracer, Scholar
36 posts
Posted @ Tue, Jan 30th 11:14 AM Score: Default[1.66]
ALL Quest-givers will accept PP instead of GP, even when they state that it "must be gold" (as in Genni, who "sells" Fire Opals in the temple of Solusek Ro), and Hasten Bootstrutter. 1kpp is only 25 weight.

Gael Stormracer, Soldier of Tunare of the 50th Summer - Berll Serillis <Cookery and Spirits> (=http://web.archive.org/web/20010617112030/eqdb.allakhazam.com/quest.html?quest=1206)

RE: Suggestions on completing quest By: Anonymous
Posted @ Fri, Mar 9th 11:06 AM Score: Default[2.33]
Why not just use 1000 plat. instead? Any quest in the game that requires "gold" can be converted to plat. and turned in. 325pp works for the jboots quest, for example. The game doesn't distinguish between coins, just the total amount. Hope this helps... (http://web.archive.org/web/20010617112030/eqdb.allakhazam.com/quest.html?quest=1206)

I'll also repeat a post in this forum: Even the honey jum quest on this server allows platinum instead of gold.

There are obviously claims for platinum working and not working, so who do we believe? The people claiming that platinum was refused never showed that they completed the quest by immediately turning in gold, so we are left with several explanations:

a) The NPC did not accept platinum
b) The player had inadequate faction
c) The player had incorrect/insufficient items turned in with that money
d) The player turned the items in to the wrong NPC (such as a pet)
e) The player is lying or somehow mistaken and did not notice the reward (fell to ground, etc)

The claims stating platinum was accepted only have the following explanations:

f) Platinum did in fact work
g) People saying platinum worked are lying or somehow mistaken that they received their reward

The desire for a patch note would put the entire issue to rest as it would explicitly state the use of gold and/or platinum for quests. Without that, we are left to assume the NPCs changed as some random date that cannot be verified, plat always worked, or that the entire issue with platinum working for quests is a conspiracy.

If we can agree with the claims of platinum working, then requiring proof that a quest operated a certain way in 1999 when it's reasonably clear that the quest operated in that fashion from 2001~2010 is rather asinine.

Troy
08-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Fuck it, just make it so he only accepts 332500 copper pieces. Anything else and we're just a bunch of "spoonfed wowtards"

"No you're not hardcore, unless you live hardcore, and the legend of the rent was way hardcoooore!"